• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A small example of the trouble with illegals and American workers.

dobieg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
A major bakery on the Northwest Side once known for making Little Debbie snack cakes was sold earlier this month after an immigration audit cost the company about a third of its workers.

About 800 employees of the main Cloverhill Bakery on the Northwest Side and the company’s bakeries in Cicero and Romeoville lost their jobs when the audit found many were hired after presenting fake or stolen IDs.

Those Hispanic employees didn’t return to work, leaving the bakery desperate to fill their jobs. So the company turned to another placement agency, Metro Staff Inc., and it provided Cloverhill with workers screened through the government’s “E-Verification” program. Most of those new employees are African American.

According to a former consultant to the bakery, MSI paid the black workers $14 an hour, versus the $10 an hour the Mexican workers were making through Labor Network.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/busine...-bakery-labor-issues-pit-blacks-vs-hispanics/

So as we can see, here is a direct example of illegal labor directly suppressing wages for Americans.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a party(Dem) who supports raising wages for low income workers supports one of the main contributors to keeping those wages low. Makes little sense to me.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/busine...-bakery-labor-issues-pit-blacks-vs-hispanics/

So as we can see, here is a direct example of illegal labor directly suppressing wages for Americans.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a party(Dem) who supports raising wages for low income workers supports one of the main contributors to keeping those wages low. Makes little sense to me.

Isn't it illegal to pay someone a lower salary just for being of a different race or nationality?

Ah yes, here we go:

Employees are supposed to be free from compensation discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, or disability. These rights are protected by the Equal Pay Act of 1963, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

https://www.mbradylaw.com/kansas-ci.../09/29/wage-discrimination-based-race-gender/

The Dems are hypocritical that way.

Rather than make this a Republican/Democrat issue, this actually has a very simple solution. Make a Federal law making it illegal to wage discriminate based on nationality...regardless of the status of employees' citizenship. And of course make the penalties debilitating enough to discourage breaking the rules.

Sure it is.

Now back to the point. Do you support illegal immigrants at the expense of American workers? Specifically, the downward pressure on wages that results from cheap illegal labor?

Read post #4.

Isn't it illegal to pay someone a lower salary just for being of a different race or nationality?

Ah yes, here we go:

https://www.mbradylaw.com/kansas-ci.../09/29/wage-discrimination-based-race-gender/

It is in California. You cannot discriminate in any way between citizens and illegals in California. AFAIK, under federal law it is against the law to hire any immigrant that does not have at the least, a green card. So California employers are breaking federal law.

No to put too fine a point on it, but an illegal alien for all intents and purposes is anonymous.

Rather than make this a Republican/Democrat issue, this actually has a very simple solution. Make a Federal law making it illegal to wage discriminate based on nationality...regardless of the status of employees' citizenship. And of course make the penalties debilitating enough to discourage breaking the rules.
Since it's already against the law to hire illegals what would the purpose of that law serve.

Gosh it's so simple.

Of course we have to ignore the most basic economic principles of demand and supply of labor. Perhaps Democrats can invent new principles such as, shortage of workers = higher wages AND influx of workers = higher wages. We'll just ignore that pesky equilibrium thingy since it would get in the way.

It is in California. You cannot discriminate in any way between citizens and illegals in California. AFAIK, under federal law it is against the law to hire any immigrant that does not have at the least, a green card. So California employers are breaking federal law.

No to put too fine a point on it, but an illegal alien for all intents and purposes is anonymous.

The bakery was clearly aware of the status of their employees, regardless of any fake documents provided, or else they wouldn't have paid the immigrants less. If I read the article right, the bakery hired 800 illegal aliens. That's astronomical, yet I'm not seeing anything about the company paying any penalties.

Since it's already against the law to hire illegals what would the purpose of that law serve.

Clearly the law against hiring illegal aliens itself isn't enough. Really strict penalties for wage discrimination would also remove the incentive for hiring illegal aliens in the first place.

Last edited:
Now rightwingers are in favor of factory workers getting a 40% wage hike?

Okaaaaay.

Stop making so much sense...

Stop making so much sense...

Yeah, and that law is really scaring the crap out of companies. The bakery hired 800 illegal immigrants. It's possible it's in the article and I'm missing it, but I found nothing about penalties.

Here’s a clue; two words beginning with “H” you should avoid: “hyperbole and hypocrite/hypocritical!” yvw..

Now rightwingers are in favor of factory workers getting a 40% wage hike?

Okaaaaay.

Why wouldn't we want to see our fellow Americans do better?

Why exactly do you think so many of us are against illegal immigration?

Why wouldn't we want to see our fellow Americans do better?

Supposedly raising wages 40% will put businesses out of business across the country and make Americans do much worse.

That's what I hear from rightwingers.

Yeah, and that law is really scaring the crap out of companies. The bakery hired 800 illegal immigrants. It's possible it's in the article and I'm missing it, but I found nothing about penalties.

You appear to be okay with it just so long as the employers pay the 800 illegal immigrants the same as they would a legal worker.

So in other words, you're okay with illegal immigrants working in our country and taking jobs from American workers...

And why are they taking jobs from Americans? Because the law is not disincentivizing companies from hiring illegal aliens in order to pay them less. In fact, if the story in the article is anything to go by, the law is not disincentivizing them from hiring illegal aliens...period. Again, what penalties did the bakery pay?

What’s wrong, not enough current bad news so you went back to February of last year to find something you could turn into a fake anti-Dem thread? Really pathetic. The primary point of the article was about tensions between blacks and Mexicans within a community, not illegal workers, and not the Democratic Party.

Gloms onto fake anti-Dem thread. Pathetic X2.

Clearly the law against hiring illegal aliens itself isn't enough. Really strict penalties for wage discrimination would also remove the incentive for hiring illegal aliens in the first place.

Ok, I finally see your point.
If it's meant to take away employer incentive, I have no problem with it.

You appear to be okay with it just so long as the employers pay the 800 illegal immigrants the same as they would a legal worker.

You're not thinking this through. If a law prevents a business from carrying out wage discrimination regardless of the citizenship status of the worker, there's no incentive to hire the illegal immigrants.

And why are they taking jobs from Americans? Because the law is not disincentivizing companies from hiring illegal aliens in order to pay them less. In fact, if the story in the article is anything to go by, the law is not disincentivizing them from hiring illegal aliens...period. Again, what penalties did the bakery pay?

I realize your point now.
Sorry, I initially misunderstood what you were getting at.

You're not thinking this through. If a law prevents business from carrying out wage discrimination regardless of the citizenship status of the worker, there's no incentive to hire the illegal immigrants.

Keep reading.

Back
Top Bottom