• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Slew of SCOTUS Decisions.

ludin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First big one.

In a tie vote the SCOTUS leaves a lower court ruling that Obama did not have the authority in his immigration EO. So his EO on immigration is reversed.

in another case the SCOTUS upholds racial discrimination in college admittance. basically if you are white and do better than a minority on a test it doesn't matter
they will get the spot over you.

In an interesting twist the SCOTUS now requires law enforcement to require warrents before a Alcohol blood test.
a warrant is not required for breathe tests.

if there is one good reason to vote for Trump, it's that we know EXACTLY the type of SCOTUS appointments we will get with Clinton.

in another case the SCOTUS upholds racial discrimination in college admittance.

This one I don't understand. Why aren't black people enraged by this racial discrimination?

This one I don't understand. Why aren't black people enraged by this racial discrimination?

Because they benefit from it? We are talking affirmative action...right?

Because they benefit from it? We are talking affirmative action...right?

Yes. So they're a-okay with racial discrimination if they get something positive out of it.

Because many view it as repayment and restitution for what they believe is a broken system in which discrimination against them and their forefathers have caused them a significant handicap from the onset.

This is similar to someone feeling justified in a civil court garnishing the wages of an individual to pay for child support; they may believe theft is wrong, but in that particular case this form of "legal theft" is simply rectifying a situation that was wrong in the first place.

Not saying that it's right or wrong, but it's not hard to step back and "understand" something even if you disagree with it, if one truly wants to understand it.

Because many view it as repayment and restitution for what they believe is a broken system in which discrimination against them and their forefathers have caused them a significant handicap from the onset.

This is similar to someone feeling justified in a civil court garnishing the wages of an individual to pay for child support; they may believe theft is wrong, but in that particular case this form of "legal theft" is simply rectifying a situation that was wrong in the first place.

Not saying that it's right or wrong, but it's not hard to step back and "understand" something even if you disagree with it, if one truly wants to understand it.

True, but we have long ago repaid out debt to these people. Enough is enough.

Josie said:
Yes. So they're a-okay with racial discrimination if they get something positive out of it.

Hmmmm....I kidnap you and your family members, take all your stuff, and make you live in a shack for the rest of your life, while I use your property to become wealthy. We die, our children and grandchildren die, but my descendents do quite well, while yours do not.

Someone finally realizes that your family used to be about as wealthy as mine, and the reason yours is poor is because of my crime. It's fair to just do nothing?

Hmmmm....I kidnap you and your family members, take all your stuff, and make you live in a shack for the rest of your life, while I use your property to become wealthy. We die, our children and grandchildren die, but my descendents do quite well, while yours do not.

Someone finally realizes that your family used to be about as wealthy as mine, and the reason yours is poor is because of my crime. It's fair to just do nothing?

Do you live in a caste system or something?

CycloneWanderer said:
Do you live in a caste system or something?

Depends on what you mean. What exactly are you asking, and why?

Depends on what you mean. What exactly are you asking, and why?

In your hypothetical situation, does the person live in a strict caste system (e.g., India, Saudi Arabia)? No reason.

CycloneWanderer said:
In your hypothetical situation, does the person live in a strict caste system (e.g., India, Saudi Arabia)? No reason.

Until relatively recently, yes. Sociological and psychological studies also show that, though the legal imposition of caste is no longer present, psychologically, discrimination against Josie's descendants remains a reality. People are less willing to employ her descendants than mine, and pay them less overall, for example.

Hmmmm....A guy kills you and your family members, takes all your stuff, and uses your property to become wealthy. You die, but the guy's descendants do quite well, while yours never exist.

Someone finally realizes that your family used to be about as wealthy as the guy's, and the reason yours doesn't exist anymore. Is it fair to force the children of this guy to pay for their ancestor's crime?

Slightly modified version because you are asking whether or not children should be punished for the actions of their ancestors.

the law would sure say so , because you can't prosecute someone for the crimes or indiscrepancies of their ancestors. That is what it appears you are proposing.

First big one.

In a tie vote the SCOTUS leaves a lower court ruling that Obama did not have the authority in his immigration EO. So his EO on immigration is reversed.

in another case the SCOTUS upholds racial discrimination in college admittance. basically if you are white and do better than a minority on a test it doesn't matter
they will get the spot over you.

In an interesting twist the SCOTUS now requires law enforcement to require warrents before a Alcohol blood test.
a warrant is not required for breathe tests.

LOL! "Discrimination"? In this case, poor little Abby wasn't even in the top 10 percentile of her class.

SCOTUS Upholds UT's Affirmative Action Program, Knocking Abigail Fisher on Her Ass

"Since Fisher was not in the top ten percent of her class, she was not admitted in into the University’s 2008 freshman class. She argued that the “holistic” approach to fill remaining spots, “disadvantaged her and other Caucasian applicants, in violation of the Equal Protection Clause.”

Previously the Fifth District court sided with the university, but Thursday, in a 4-3 ruling (Kagan had recused herself), SCOTUS upheld the lower court, reaffirming that “race-conscious admissions” does not violate the Equal Protection Clause. SCOTUS also hinted that the problem might have been Abigail Fisher herself, who have had a clear road to UT if she had finished in the top ten percent of her class. The court noted that the vast majority of the university’s admissions (75 percent) came from this process. From today’s ruling:

The component with the largest impact on petitioner’s chances of admission was not the school’s consideration of race under its holistic-review process but the Top Ten Percent Plan. Because petitioner did not challenge the percentage part of the plan, the record is devoid of evidence of its impact on diversity."

Yes, all the principles are dead. LONG DEAD.

LOL! "Discrimination"? In this case, poor little Abby wasn't even in the top 10 percentile of her class.

SCOTUS Upholds UT's Affirmative Action Program, Knocking Abigail Fisher on Her Ass

"Since Fisher was not in the top ten percent of her class, she was not admitted in into the University’s 2008 freshman class. She argued that the “holistic” approach to fill remaining spots, “disadvantaged her and other Caucasian applicants, in violation of the Equal Protection Clause.”

Previously the Fifth District court sided with the university, but Thursday, in a 4-3 ruling (Kagan had recused herself), SCOTUS upheld the lower court, reaffirming that “race-conscious admissions” does not violate the Equal Protection Clause. SCOTUS also hinted that the problem might have been Abigail Fisher herself, who have had a clear road to UT if she had finished in the top ten percent of her class. The court noted that the vast majority of the university’s admissions (75 percent) came from this process. From today’s ruling:

The component with the largest impact on petitioner’s chances of admission was not the school’s consideration of race under its holistic-review process but the Top Ten Percent Plan. Because petitioner did not challenge the percentage part of the plan, the record is devoid of evidence of its impact on diversity."

If the color of skin is used as ANY amount of the metric for admittance, it's WRONG.

Until relatively recently, yes. Sociological and psychological studies also show that, though the legal imposition of caste is no longer present, psychologically, discrimination against Josie's descendants remains a reality. People are less willing to employ her descendants than mine, and pay them less overall, for example.

So, let's say we implement governmental controls that benefit Josie above others. What happens if in 100 years Josie's descendants are doing significantly better than other peoples' for several of the reasons you list? What if it has an unintended, opposite effect and leads to Josie's descendants doing even worse?

No black family kidnapped from Africa was wealthy, in fact bringing them here gave their descendants a much better life than if they had remained in Africa.

We wont mention that they were kidnapped and sold into slavery by other blacks.

CycloneWanderer said:
Hmmmm....A guy kills you and your family members, takes all your stuff, and uses your property to become wealthy. You die, but the guy's descendants do quite well, while yours never exist.

Someone finally realizes that your family used to be about as wealthy as the guy's, and the reason yours doesn't exist anymore. Is it fair to force the children of this guy to pay for their ancestor's crime?

Pay whom? If my ancestors don't exist, then who are they paying?

In my original scenario, then yes, it is fair to make the wealthy children equalize their wealth with the poor children. Had it not been for the crime ever so long ago, that's probably how things would be today. That's not punishment. That's returning stolen property. It is not fair to send the wealthy descendents to prison--that would be punishment.

Hypothetical said:
the law would sure say so , because you can't prosecute someone for the crimes or indiscrepancies of their ancestors. That is what it appears you are proposing.

No. Affirmative action isn't about sending people to jail last I looked.

that is what it is called when you based admission or anything on race is it not? how is it not discrimination?

If she scored higher than someone else but someone else was let in because of their skin color that is discrimination. in fact that is the very definition of discrimination no matter how your bias source wants to put it.

excusing discrimination does not mean that it isn't discrimination. the fact that the college give more points in admittance to programs because of skin color means that they are discriminating.
in fact having a litmus test based on skin color is the very essence of discrimination, but I guess it is ok to discriminate because she is white.

So, let's say we implement governmental controls that benefit Josie above others. What happens if in 100 years Josie's descendants are doing significantly better than other peoples' for several of the reasons you list? What if it has an unintended, opposite effect and leads to Josie's descendants doing even worse?

It's really about what we want America to be about. You can't make right one injustice by levying the SAME injustice on another group of people. That is just as wrong as the first injustice, and you know it is going to keep the problem going, because now members of that group are going to be angry.

so can someone point me to someone that did this recently? if not then well it is discrimination but selective discrimination.
still doesn't make it any less wrong.

Back
Top Bottom