• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A slap in the face of pro-life.

Datamonkee

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...ff/story/0001/20050715/1532715005.htm&sc=1110

Adoption Agency Rejects Catholic Parents

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A Christian adoption agency that receives money from Choose Life license plate fees said it does not place children with Roman Catholic couples because their religion conflicts with the agency's ``Statement of Faith.''

For people who are trying to get adoption out as a viable means of stopping abortion, this is atrocious! Shame on the Presbyterian Church of America!

Here is the solution, cut off the money from the Choose-Life liscense plates.

"As the Savior, Jesus takes away the sins of the world,'' the statement says in part. "Jesus is the one in whom we are called to put our hope, our only hope for forgiveness of sin and for reconciliation with God and with one another.''

Sandy Steadman said she was hurt and disappointed that Bethany received funds from the Choose Life car license plates. ``I know of a lot of Catholics who get those tags,'' she said.

She added: ``If it's OK to accept our money, it should be OK to open your home to us as a family.'' "

But it is not a public organization, so they technically have the right to discriminate. But throw into that the fact that they receive public money from the liscense plates (which ironically I think might be illegal, but let's not get to that now) then they don't have taht right. Cut off the money and all will be solved.

I saw that Data. I was shocked to see such blatant discrimination based on religion.

Mission Statement:

Bethany Christian Services manifests the love and compassion of Jesus Christ by protecting and enhancing the lives of children and families through quality social services.

source: http://www.medwaycommunitychurch.org/Missions/Local/bethany_christian_services.htm

Ok I did a bit of research. This is Bethany's Mission Statement. I'm confused as to where the conflict is to Catholocism? Someone help me out here.

and just a sidebar- I tried pulling up Bethany's website... nothing. blank page.. things that make you go hmm?

All the Christian faiths are different in some way. I am sure they find issue with one of those differences, which would be their right save the fact that they get public money.

I'll say it again, the solution is for the state congress to take away its public funds.

I haven't been in a Catholic church in a long time (was raised Catholic) but I will see if I can help this topic from memory.

believe that God, by His grace, provided redemption and restoration in Jesus Christ for all who repent and believe. As the Savior, Jesus takes away the sins of the world. Jesus is the one in whom we are called to put our hope, our only hope for forgiveness of sin and for reconciliation with God and with one another.

When a child is born into Catholocism, they are baptized "to remove the stain of original sin" and commit the child to God. In the Christian churches I've attended, they simply have dedication services. Christianity reserves baptism for those who are ready to make a public declaration of their faith.

Also, the confessional used within Catholocism is probably a big area of controversy. The italicized above is the belief of MOST of the Christian churches I've encountered. However, in Catholocism, the teaching is that a priest is the link between man and God, and confession and subsequent acts of praying certain prayers absolves one's sin.. and that is the direct opposite of the statement of faith.

Believe me, I don't condone discounting the Catholic faith, for I know many of my family STILL attend the church regularly, and they are very deep seeded in their faith. I simply chose to move on. But, there isn't anything that says Bethany cannot do what they're doing either, as much of their money comes from adoptions and donations in the private sector. Until they receive money from the government, they can do this.. legally at least. Morally, I don't know if this is the way to go about things. Just my view

Headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Bethany is a not-for-profit, pro-life, Christian adoption and family services agency. Bethany’s support comes through reimbursement for services, and from gifts received from individuals, churches, corporations, and foundations that share Bethany’s commitment to improving the lives of children and families. With over 75 locations nationwide and international ministries in 15 other countries, Bethany touches the lives of more than 30,000 people each year.

If this organization received money from the state or federal government, there would immediately be a state and/or federal investigation into this, as received public money in any way, automatically puts an organization under the anti-discrimination law.

I've highlighted in bold where their money comes from. None of it is public... it's all people willingly giving money to them, whether through donation, or for the services used.

Back
Top Bottom