• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

a short documentry about Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, new perspective

Right, so not that I see the automated moderating algorithm has finally accepted me, here goes. Sorry to start off my first post on this forum with such a massive wall of text- but….

So I've just finished watching the 2004 documentary. If you boil away the anecdotes, pathos, etc you get a fairly straightforward argument:

a. Terrorism is the result of harm and humiliation inflicted on people under the occupation.
b. Suicide bombings in particular are indicative of this- people would not want to kill themselves unless they were desperate and suffering under a particularly inhumane opression.
c. any group under occupation is bound to respond with terror and suicide bombings. It's "natural" and "unavoidable".
d. Therefore, the best way to end terror attacks is for the occupation to end.
e. No military means will work to end terror attacks- they will only serve to provide greater motivation for future terror.
f. When American news reporters report upon terror attacks without putting it in "proper" context they are unprofessional. When Euro and Arab reporters educate the viewers they are doing their job.

There are a number of other claims the documentary makes though it is very careful to make them implicit rather than explicit:

1. There is no qualitative difference between police and military actions taken by the occupation such as roadblocks, arrests, targeted killings and military actions inflicting collateral damage on Palestinian civilians and the deliberate killing of Israeli civilians by Palestinians.
2. Since there is no moral difference between the two the moral opprobium should rest on those who:
2.a. are stronger.
2.b. inflict more casulties.
I guess that the Israelis fit the bill.

The thing is, the discussion to date has focused on the second set of arguments: implicit moral or anti-moral arguments. And I think the reason for that is obvious. It's because, on the face of it, the first set of arguments (let's call them the "factual" arguments) appears so intuitive and the second set of arguments seems so infuriating to conventional morality that those opposed to the documentary are drawn to them like moths.

But I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy. If, regardless of morality, there is no way to end terror attacks besides ending the occupation then, regardless of morality and a wish not to surrender to terror isn’t that the right thing to do? Aren't any military actions against terror useless, counterproductive, and simply end up causing more blood and tears?

Well, here's the thing. This documentary was screened in 2004 when Israel was dealing with exactly (or not exactly. I'll deal with the whole false causation theory later) this question. For several years, international pressure and internal divisions prevented Israel from retaking security control of the PA. Then, starting at about the same time the film was being Made Ariel Sharon had gained sufficient strength against both domestic and foreign opposition and launched defensive shield and it's followup reoccupation of the PA. This was the result (2002 before, 2003 after):

2000 43
2001 207
2002 457
2003 213
2004 124
2005 53
2006 29
2007 13
2008 36
2009 6
2010 10
2011 21
2012 9
2013 1

Today? Israelis have much better security than they had at any time since 1993 when security control was handed over to the PLO over parts of the West Bank. Hell, fewer Israelis are being slain by terror than almost any time since 1948 (Any time if you judge in proportion to the population)- and those who are being killed are not being attacked from the WB!

What it boils down to is that the Military solution to terror from the West bank…. Worked. If it had been fully applied in 2000, rather than 2003 it would have worked sooner, vastly reducing the number of both Israeli and Palestinian dead. If the military solution had not been applied then more Israelis would have died.

This isn't an opinion. It isn't even really a conjucture. It's as close to a solid fact as you can get to in this world. And the thing is… it was apparent even in 2004 to those not blinded by ideology. Look at the numbers. So the BBC lady who so earnestly educated her viewers about how Ariel Sharon's "brutal" retaliation to the suicide bombing she was covering would only "deepen the cycle of violence"? Well, the bottom line is that she was being unprofessional. Or rather, she was speaking outside the scope of her profession. The thing is, this was 2004. Taking a look at the bigger picture, getting some perspective… this was hard. So the mistake of all those earnest activists in 2004 is understandable and forgivable- even if their advocacy ended up costing the lives of hundreds of Israelis and thousands of Palestinians.

But what is the excuse of people making this claim today?

OK, so the third link of the whole "occupation is the root cause of terror and therefore the solution is an end to the occupation- you can't end terror by military means alone" logic chain is false.

Does that mean that the causative portion of that sentence " occupation is the root cause of terror" is wrong? Or that the proposed solution "Hey ya! Hey Ho! The occupation has to go!" does not have better and less bloody prospects of success?

Not necessarily. It is possible for terrorism to have BOTH a political and a military solution. It is possible that terrorism is an outgrowth of a wrong military-political policy rather than it's cause. But is that really the case? Fortunately, the entire world, rather than only Israel/Palestine, is our lab. We can, and should look at the wider region to see whether it is possible for terrorism in general, and suicide bombings in particular, to arise in the absence of an Israeli (Or U.S, or whatever occupation).

Since we're discussing a 2004 documentary, let's take a quick flashback further back in time.

September 9th, 2001. Sheikh Masoud, the leader of the Tajik dominated Northern alliance in Afghanistan is giving an interview. The people performing the interview are, in fact, Taliban agents. When the cameras warm up they blow both Masoud and themselves up. Why?

The Taliban is already winning the civil war and has dominated Afghanistan for a long time- so there is no desperate need for this tactic. The Suicide bombers themselves are Tunisian Arabs, good, well educated middle class kids from what may be the most Europe like state in the Arab world. The conflict itself is a low-grade civil war between rival Muslims- not a struggle of "national liberation" against foreign occupants. So what personal and group motive is enough to overcome the human desire to live and the bounds of common decency?

Those are question Western reporters SHOULD have been asking. But two days later… well, you know what happened. nobody ever asked the right questions. They should have.

Because over the past decade the world has witnessed a bllody tide of terror directed… at Muslims. By Muslims.

Iraq. Most of the terror attacks during the U.S occupation were never directed at Americans- most casualties of the Iraq war were Shiites murdered by Sunnis and Sunnis murdered by Shiites. Both employed suicide bombers. Note that the Yezidis and Christians who are not part of this civil war have been disproportionate victims of it. Why?

Pakistan. No foreign occupation. 35,000 killed by terror attacks. Note that most were killed AFTER the "oppressive military regime" was replaced by democracy. A disproportionate number of the victims are Shiites, Ahmadis, Ismailis, Christians and Hindus.

Anyway, the point is that "occupation" does not seem to be the only thing capable of causing people to either kill innocents or do so by blowing themselves up. So what is going on? Let's leave that aside for now and go back to Israel/Palestine.

It seems that occupation is not the sole POSSIBLE explanation as to why Palestinians are prepared to kill Israeli civilians. But, nonetheless, is it possible that Palestinians only started doing this after the occupation started? Could the occupation>terrorism explanation be true for this particular part of the world even if it is false elsewhere.

Well… no. the PLO was founded before 1967 (1964 to be precise. Fatah and most of the other groups making it up in the mid 1950s). OK, but then they were angry at the result of the 1948 war, right?

Well, the only problem is that incidents like this: 1929 Hebron massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia occured frequently throughout the 1920-1948 period. And Jews only started retaliating, with a great deal of opposition from the mainstream leadership, after 1936. Well, could it be a response to the Idea of Zionism? Nope. Jews living in Southern Syria/ future Israel-Palestine were facing these kinds of attacks even in the 1820s, long before Herzel was born.

OK, enough dredging through history. Let's suppose that the third link of the "occupation is the root cause of terror and therefore the solution is an end to the occupation- you can't end terror by military means alone" is wrong and so is the first. Regardless of the cause or possibility of military solution to terrorism is it possible that the best solution to it is an unconditional end to the occupation and humiliation suffered by Palestinians, freeing them of all obligations and demands those pesky Israelis keep on insisting on prior to withdrawing?

Well, we have a test case for that as well. Three of them actually. Gaza. Lebanon. And the Sinai. Oddly enough, Israel has come under attack from all three. Regardless of whether the legal entity on the other side was a state or non-state actor, regardless of the formal agreements signed. One good soul here has insisted that the Palsetinians only fire rockets on Israeli civilians when Israel "kills Palestinians". Not exactly.

The latest incident, as usual unreported on most world news, had Islamic Jihad fire half a dozen rockets at Israeli civilians after two of their men were killed, apparently by accident, by… Hamas. The first died during the equivalent of a bar-room fight. His clan, divided between Hamas and IJ supporters angrily demanded compensation in the form of Hamas permitting them to fire at Israel (Iran pays them for each rocket fired). Hamas refused but the next day, during the funeral, one of the mourners was run over, apparently by accident, by Hamas security men. This time the Islamic Jihad insisted on firing the rockets.

Nowhere was Israeli action or counter reaction in the loop. Needless to say, no Palestinian journalists or politicians criticized the morality of the unprovoked rockets, fired during a ceasefire at strictly civilian targets.

And that, in a nutshell, is the real reason for why suicide bombings occur in the Muslim world more than anywhere else (The Tamil Tigers may have started using the techinque first- but never on anything approaching this scale!). It's because no one says they shouldn't. It's because even those Palestinians who did not personally support the massacre of innocents were more concerned with offering justifications for the attacks then in stopping them.

Last edited:
Right, so not that I see the automated moderating algorithm has finally accepted me, here goes.

I'm an automated radicalizing algorithm.

because he believes he will die of an erection - at least that was what a NY police officer said New Yorkers were going to have to be taught in the 70's - that they did not die of an erection.

Of course there is.

No, it is not. Absolutely not. Indeed I would say that only by understanding can you evaluate responsibility.

Did I say there was? There is however a lot of it going on.

You are misconstruing what I said. Here is what has happened to the people that man is part of. Their voice needs to be heard and understood.

Their website The Jahalin Bedouin

As always alexa you do not answer to the point and deflect the discussion to 10000000 other topics.

Unlike what ilia tried to suggest, Hamas is a terrorist organization and there is nothing "natural" in their actions.

I totally disagree with your view on "understanding", for me there is no understanding for in human behavior and I think any person who calls himself Liberal should. Human beings are expected to behave as such and are expected to understand the difference between right and wrong. Murder of innocent people is one of those few things which are taboo by all of humanity.

Last edited:
And that, in a nutshell, is the real reason for why suicide bombings occur in the Muslim world more than anywhere else (The Tamil Tigers may have started using the techinque first- but never on anything approaching this scale!). It's because no one says they shouldn't. It's because even those Palestinians who did not personally support the massacre of innocents were more concerned with offering justifications for the attacks then in stopping them.

First of all welcome :2wave:

They are not offering justifications, they simply try to "understand" the reasons. :shrug:

First of all welcome :2wave:

They are not offering justifications, they simply try to "understand" the reasons. :shrug:

First of all thanks:2wave:- but I'm actually trying to avoid going down the avenue of "justifying" Vs "understanding" (I guess I should have been more careful).

Instead, let's focus on something tangible. Alexa, and everyone else out there who promotes the documentary or think it has something important we can learn from about the situation- do you agree that:

a. The documentary makes the claim that military measures cannot end suicide bombings from the West Bank?
b. That that claim have since been proven false in the context of the West bank?

If you agree can you say what you think this error means? If you don't agree can you explain why you disagree?

How can you think murder of innocents is a natural consequence of anything is beyond me.

is it beyond you or not, this is something happening. you like it or not, understand it or not.

if you want to close your eyes and think Palestinian unlike the rest of 7 billions population of the earth has some "killing disease" and love to blow themselves up. go ahead.

the simple truth you can't or don't want to understand. it is happening anyway.

violence produce violence, some of them responding in a rational way (like 2006 Israel–Hezbollah War) and some of them responding in a irrational way (as you mentioned some of them).

you can't expect of every single of Palestinian population to respond Israel violence in a rational way.

PS:and maybe if Palestinians had a right to have a government and an army, instead of blow themselves up, they get a rifle and blow anyone heads off who dare to bombing his home or killing his family member for 60years)

Last edited:
is it beyond you or not, this is something happening. you like it or not, understand it or not.

if you want to close your eyes and think Palestinian unlike the rest of 7 billions population of the earth has some "killing disease" and love to blow themselves up. go ahead.

Where did I say its 7 billion people? I didn't even say that Palestinians have a killing disease, but its pretty clear that those who did choose to blow up dance clubs or butcher a baby in her sleep with a knife are not normal human beings, their actions are not "natural" and not "understandable".

Palestinians as a society has another problem where they don't go out and strongly oppose and condemn the actions of these perverted people.

Last edited:
Where did I say its 7 billion people? I didn't even say that Palestinians have a killing disease, but its pretty clear that those who did choose to blow up dance clubs or butcher a baby in her sleep with a knife are not normal human beings, their actions are not "natural" and not "understandable".

when you think this is what they "just" (for no reason at all) doing. so you claim they have some problem that other 7 billion population of the world don't, because they don't blow themselves up!

i told you, natural or unnatural, understandable or not understandable, this is something happening and CIA experts confirm this clear statement. which violence produce violence.

Palestinians as a society has another problem where they don't go out and strongly oppose and condemn the actions of these perverted people.

so you really expect from the people who their homes has been destroyed and their family members have been killed by Israel more than 60 years, to rise up and "strongly oppose and condemn" this kind of things?!" kidding right?

when you think this is what they "just" (for no reason at all) doing. so you claim they have some problem that other 7 billion population of the world don't, because they don't blow themselves up!

Of course there is a reason, the main one is them being sick bastards who believe killing innocent people is a legitimate course of action in this conflict.

i told you, natural or unnatural, understandable or not understandable, this is something happening and CIA experts confirm this clear statement. which violence produce violence.
If you believe violence produces violence shouldn't you point your finger at those who started with the violence almost 100 years ago?

so you really expect from the people who their homes has been destroyed and their family members have been killed by Israel more than 60 years, to rise up and "strongly oppose and condemn" this kind of things?!" kidding right?
Yes, I really do expect human beings act as such. You are speaking as if Israelis do not suffer by Palestinian terrorism for the past 100 years or so, still when a Jew decides he will gun down innocent Palestinians who are just waiting for a ride home or praying in a mosque or whatever, we do not show support, we do not celebrate this murder of innocents. The terrorist will be arrested, trailed and imprisoned for his actions, he will not become a hero.

Watching such videos is like watching any political agitprop. They are known for their bias by their supporters.

What I ask myself is, What country provides its Arab citizens the degree of human rights, freedom of expression, voting privilege , media freedom, membership in democratic elected government, freedom of religion, jobs, to a higher degree than does Israel?

arabwrld.htm

Size Comparison Map of Israel and the Arab World

When one looks for the worst mistreatment and murder and violence against Arabs would one to to the sliver of a minute democracy as Israel, or, its neighbors?

Last edited:

You conveniently are ignoring the bombing of Shiites by Sunni and vice versa. The slaughter of Fatah by Hamas, The murder of Christians by Egyptian Arabs. You choose to focus on Jews. Why is that? Jews, Israelis, use laws to prosecute crimes of it's citizens. Israel has an obvious requirement to protect its citizens, its country and is beset by neighbors that openly threaten its existence. Obviously Israel mus err on the side of survival in threatening conditions. Ask how such ancient Jewish lands became 'occupied."

Ask why would they give them up for no gain?

Israel withdrew from Gaza and has since that withdrawal been constantly attacked by thousands of rockets-bombs-mortars from Gaza.

Israel withdrew from Lebanon and Syria took it over and Israel has been attacked from Lebanon since they withdrew.

Withdrew from the Sinai, and have been attacked from the Sinai.

So,those that want Israel to SIMPLY give up 'occupied' territory might look to such responses for their answers.

Watching such videos is like watching any political agitprop. They are known for their bias by their supporters.

What I ask myself is, What country provides its Arab citizens the degree of human rights, freedom of expression, voting privilege , media freedom, membership in democratic elected government, freedom of religion, jobs, to a higher degree than does Israel?

The problems isnt the treatment of its citizens but of its non citizens in the West Bank. Arabs in Iran and Turkey (Hatay) don't need the permission of foreigners to leave their homes.

The problems isnt the treatment of its citizens but of its non citizens in the West Bank. Arabs in Iran and Turkey (Hatay) don't need the permission of foreigners to leave their homes.

Clearly the problem is not the treatment of the West Bankers and the Gazans by Israel but the reason for the treatment. As long as the security threat to Israel and its citizens from the West Bankers and Gazans, which is a real and undeniable threat, does exist - such 'treatment' is fully justified. Israel must do what needs to be done to protect its citizens else it has no right to exist as a government.

Arabs in Iran have far less freedoms than do those in the West Bank IMO. Arabs in Iran have no free press, no legitimate voting,(riots over same), have to comply with dress codes (policed), and are denigrated by Iranians.
Why Can’t Arabs and Iranians Just Get Along? | Persian Gulf News Bulletin

Also in the mix is extreme ethnic and national pride. Iranians are justly proud of their imperial history and of maintaining a distinct identity for more than 2,500 years through an often tragic history of invasions and defeats. Iranians are proud of their national language, their literature, and their achievements in science, scholarship, and the arts. Arabs have a similar pride in their ancient civilization, their traditions, and, in particular, their remarkable language.

Too often, however, this pride has become chauvinism and has made each side look down on the other and denigrate its achievements and civilization. To many Arabs, the Iranians were arrogant, luxury-loving fire-worshippers and pagans until the Arabs brought them the enlightened message of Islam. To many Iranians, the Arabs were uncultured nomads who destroyed the great Iranian civilization of the ancient Near East. Such stereotypes fly in the face of reality, but they persist and continue to exercise their power.

Holding Iran up as a success compared to the Arabs of West Bank hardly makes a valid point. Jews or Arabs or even Persian (Indo-European ), 'Iranians' are hardly to be admired or envied I would suggest.

Now please compare some other ARAB countries to the freedoms -restrictions that occupied West Bank Arabs enjoy or suffer.

Norway
Sweden
Iceland
Denmark
New Zealand
Australia
Switzerland
Canada
Finland
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Austria
Ireland
Germany
Malta
United Kingdom
Czech Republic
Uruguay
Mauritius
South Korea
United States of America

To name a few (order from the Economist's democracy index of 2012).

"Now please compare some other ARAB countries to the freedoms -restrictions that occupied West Bank Arabs enjoy or suffer."

Forget the democracies. Though attacked by Arab terrorists,none of them were attacked militarily by Arabs as was Israel.

"Now please compare some other ARAB countries to the freedoms -restrictions that occupied West Bank Arabs enjoy or suffer."

Most people would put more value to the right of self determination and freedom of movement than other rights.

[/U][/I][/B]

Most people would put more value to the right of self determination and freedom of movement than other rights.

Those in the Gaza Strip have both. The Palestinian Authority is the official representative of the West Bank, but I don't know much about Palestinian movement restrictions.

Freedom of thought is more important than both those rights combined, by the way.

Last edited:
Those in the Gaza Strip have both. The Palestinian Authority is the official representative of the West Bank, but I don't know much about Palestinian movement restrictions.

1- He specifically stated Palestinians in the west bank.
2- Official Representatives requiring Israeli VIP Cards to travel does not equal self-determination.

Freedom of thought is more important than both those rights combined, by the way.
Not sure how that is relevant, freedom of thought in the west bank is more or less just as bad as it is everywhere else in the developing world.

1- He specifically stated Palestinians in the west bank.
That's what I figured, but they still have a great degree of autonomy.
2- Official Representatives requiring Israeli VIP Cards to travel does not equal self-determination.
To travel where? Within the WB? To Israel? If it is the latter I'm not sure how that's any different from passports and international travel restrictions.

Not sure how that is relevant, freedom of thought in the west bank is more or less just as bad as it is everywhere else in the developing world.

No, Palestinians can legally protest and rally against Israel, a right that does not exist for citizens in many neighboring states. Freedom of the press is highly limited, but that's because the media is PA-controlled.

That's what I figured, but they still have a great degree of autonomy.
To travel where? Within the WB? To Israel? If it is the latter I'm not sure how that's any different from passports and international travel restrictions.
Yes if by great you mean limited autonomy over a few scattered areas in the west bank in which these political representatives require passes issued by a foreign government to walk down the streets without being hindered by foreign soldiers. As for passports, Israel holds the right to regulate who is allowed to get in or out this area under 'great' Palestinian autonomy for whatever reason it pleases.

No, Palestinians can legally protest and rally against Israel, a right that does not exist for citizens in many neighboring states. Freedom of the press is highly limited, but that's because the media is PA-controlled.

Really? people can rally and protest against Israel in many of the middle eastern countries.

Yes if by great you mean limited autonomy over a few scattered areas in the west bank in which these political representatives require passes issued by a foreign government to walk down the streets without being hindered by foreign soldiers. As for passports, Israel holds the right to regulate who is allowed to get in or out this area under 'great' Palestinian autonomy for whatever reason it pleases.
They require passes to walk down the street? Only a few scattered areas are under the PA? Can you prove any of this?

Really? people can rally and protest against Israel in many of the middle eastern countries.

You know what I meant :lol:

They require passes to walk down the street? Only a few scattered areas are under the PA? Can you prove any of this?

Figure-1-688x972.jpg

There is a more recent map from the same source but it is in pdf format and is much larger.
"Full" autonomy is in area A.

So yes few and scattered, as for walking down a street I would suggest watching Checkpoint, or you can just google.

You know what I meant :lol:
That is why I responded the way I did, I was trying to point out the irony in claiming that a people have 'great autonomy' then crediting a foreign nation for 'allowing' protests against it in an area that has this great autonomy.

Israel is not able to stop protests completely without international ire, so they regulate them, even then its hardly a rosy picture, with Israeli policy of holding people in administrative detention without charges and its incursion on (Palestinian) children's human rights.
Israel: Excessive Force against Protesters | Human Rights Watch
UN: Israeli forces tortured Palestinian children, used them as human shields - Israel News | Haaretz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom