• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A Senior Fellow at the Institute of Nonexistence

rathi

Count Smackula
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/arts/television/13hoax.html?hp

It was among the juicier post-election recriminations: Fox News Channel quoted an unnamed McCain campaign figure as saying that Sarah Palin did not know that Africa was a continent.

And the claim of credit for the Africa anecdote is just the latest ruse by Eisenstadt, who turns out to be a very elaborate hoax that has been going on for months. MSNBC, which quickly corrected the mistake, has plenty of company in being taken in by an Eisenstadt hoax, including The New Republic and The Los Angeles Times.

This man has essentially been faking news well enough that his fake stories get picked up by real media sources. The claim that Palin couldn't locate Africa on map was made up by this guy. Its pathetic that the media doesn't do even the most basic fact checking before running a story based on lies. The guy is a tool for intentionally misinforming the public, but he does reveal just how far journalism has sunk.

Dick Morris confirmed this on Fox last night. He said he spent three hours with her, and she is no dunce.

I posted this in Media Bias with the question -- why did the NYT put this in the TELEVISION section? Is it entertainment news?

They're blaming it on the low quality of the blogosphere and the MSM in a 24-hour news channel world, which is entirely on the mark. The internet breaks the story first and shouts it the loudest, and there's no way for the MSM to keep up and remain accurate.

There's something taht I'd like cleared up, though. Palin didn't deny saying those things, she said they were taken out of context. Was that part of the plant? Otherwise, wtf?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/arts/television/13hoax.html?hp

This man has essentially been faking news well enough that his fake stories get picked up by real media sources. The claim that Palin couldn't locate Africa on map was made up by this guy. Its pathetic that the media doesn't do even the most basic fact checking before running a story based on lies. The guy is a tool for intentionally misinforming the public, but he does reveal just how far journalism has sunk.

Some people really have way too much time on their hands. What was the purpose? Was it some kind of a lame social experiment?
It would have been nice if the media would have researched this information more in depth before reporting on it. This really just goes to show how much the media loves sensationalism. Funnily enough, all of the people who automatically believed this stuff without question now have egg on their face.

They're blaming it on the low quality of the blogosphere and the MSM in a 24-hour news channel world, which is entirely on the mark. The internet breaks the story first and shouts it the loudest, and there's no way for the MSM to keep up and remain accurate.

There's something taht I'd like cleared up, though. Palin didn't deny saying those things, she said they were taken out of context. Was that part of the plant? Otherwise, wtf?
So the problems of the MSM are the fault of Internet news? :roll:

:rofl

So the problems of the MSM are the fault of Internet news? :roll:

:rofl

Nope, the problem is that the MSM has extremely low standards and is more accurately entertainment than news. If they're right most of the time it's because fake stories rarely surface, not because of the MSM's solid journalistic work. However, the rise of the internet and the blogosphere has undoubtedly had effects on traditional news media, which I think I described adequately. Do you disagree with any of my points?

Last edited:
Nope, the problem is that the MSM has extremely low standards and is more accurately entertainment than news. However, the rise of the internet and the blogosphere has undoubtedly had effects on traditional news media, which I think I described adequately. Do you disagree with any of my points?

I'd like to add that networks now view the news as profit centers.

From source
The pranksters ... acknowledge that [they were not] the anonymous source of the Palin leak [about Africa]. [They] just claimed falsely that he was the leaker... For its part, Fox News Channel continues to stand behind its story.​

From source
The pranksters ... acknowledge that [they were not] the anonymous source of the Palin leak [about Africa]. [They] just claimed falsely that he was the leaker... For its part, Fox News Channel continues to stand behind its story.​

Yea, them damn Leebruls at FOX News, who have an agenda to rake Palin over the coals, thus securing an Obama victory in 2012. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom