• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Russian warship that attacked Snake Island where Ukrainian soldiers cursed out invaders has reportedly been destroyed

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

A Russian warship that attacked Ukraine's Snake Island last month has reportedly been destroyed. Ukrainian military sources told the Times UK that the large patrol corvette — named Vasily Bykov — was hit by Ukrainian rockets early Monday morning local time. "Ship was destroyed, it is confirmed," one Ukrainian military source told The Times. Military sources told The Times that Vasily Bykov was one of one of two ships that attacked Snake Island last month, in an incident in which Ukrainian soldiers told the Russian ships to "go **** yourself."

This has not been independently confirmed. It seems Ukrainian Marines in Odesa fired missiles at two Russian ships approaching the city, striking one of the ships. This supposedly happened before daybreak.

Ukraine has an excellent mobile anti-ship cruise missle called Neptun (Neptune) with a range of 280km.

If the Ukrainians are sinking Russian warships, they've got some decent firepower!

If the Ukrainians are sinking Russian warships, they've got some decent firepower!
It's not that big. Not what I would picture as a battleship, anyway. Still, helpful if it's gone.

1646765031184.png

Wouldn't it be funny if Ukraine annexed the Russian Federation instead?
Yeah, I know...wouldn't be "funny"...just had to say it.

Wouldn't it be funny if Ukraine annexed the Russian Federation instead?
Yeah, I know...wouldn't be "funny"...just had to say it.

Don't laugh! But, with the Ukraine courage & tenacity, along with the tons of NATO & U.S. Armaments flowing in, maybe we should start worrying they may indeed go after Russian land! :p

Alright, I wasn't aware.

That changes my thoughts a bit, I must admit. But still, they did sink a military fortified ship.
And if Turkey stands by its guns and doesn't allow replacements into the Black Sea, hope the Ukranians hit plenty more!

Don't laugh! But, with the Ukraine courage & tenacity, along with the tons of NATO & U.S. Armaments flowing in, maybe we should start worrying they may indeed go after Russian land! :p
Like Crimea?

And if Turkey stands by its guns and doesn't allow replacements into the Black Sea, hope the Ukranians hit plenty more!

That was shocking! Erdogan? Who'd have thunk it?

Like Crimea?

That comes to mind. Maybe, expand Odessa?

I am joking around, though. But the Ukrainian defensive vigor, efficacy, and courage, has indeed been shockingly robust!

Ukraine has an excellent mobile anti-ship cruise missle called Neptun (Neptune) with a range of 280km.

I had friends in the Falklands war in the 80's and losing a warship really hits hard. This will send bigger shockwaves through the Russian psyche than the impact of the downing of a Hind helicopter or losing a few tanks here or there.

It's not that big. Not what I would picture as a battleship, anyway. Still, helpful if it's gone.

View attachment 67378881
It doesn’t have to be big to be a threat. That class of ship has a crew of 80, and can carry a helicopter. If it was truly sunk as reported, it’s a big win for the Ukrainians.

Vaguely reminiscent of Senator Brewster's comment to Howard Hughes in "The Aviator".

"It isn't me, Howard. It's the United States government. We just beat Germany and Japan. Who the hell are you?"

EZ2t7-1454003920-1461-list_items-alda_aviator.jpg

"We're the Republic of Ukraine. We just kicked your country's ass. Who the hell are you?"

FMn-OrkXIAcrYVF.jpg

It doesn’t have to be big to be a threat. That class of ship has a crew of 80, and can carry a helicopter. If it was truly sunk as reported, it’s a big win for the Ukrainians.
I agree. I was just making sure Chomsky realized we weren't talking about the USS Ticonderoga here. Yes, a boat of any size geared for war is a loss, especially when they can't replace it.

Vaguely reminiscent of Senator Brewster's comment to Howard Hughes in "The Aviator".

"It isn't me, Howard. It's the United States government. We just beat Germany and Japan. Who the hell are you?"

EZ2t7-1454003920-1461-list_items-alda_aviator.jpg

"We're the Republic of Ukraine. We just kicked your country's ass. Who the hell are you?"

FMn-OrkXIAcrYVF.jpg

Not aware of this quote, but I like it!

This has not been independently confirmed. It seems Ukrainian Marines in Odesa fired missiles at two Russian ships approaching the city, striking one of the ships. This supposedly happened before daybreak.

Wasn't aware of Ukraine having a land based anti-ship missile. Glad to hear.

Define big? It's 308 feet long, can carry cruise missiles, and a helicopter, has a crew of 80 and can board 60 marines. Most navies would classify it as a "corvette" - smaller than a frigate, larger than a patrol boat, but large enough to sail independently.

Back
Top Bottom