• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Russian bank gave Marine Le Pen’s party a loan. Then weird things began happening.

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A Russian bank gave Marine Le Pen’s party a loan. Then weird things began happening.

903.jpg

Marine LePen and her handler, Vladimir Putin.

12/27/18
When French politician Marine Le Pen needed cash for her far-right party, an obscure Russian bank agreed to help. Four years later, the bank has gone bust. The owner is facing a warrant for his arrest. Former Russian military officers are demanding money. And the party’s treasurer is sending off some $165,000 every few months to a woman in Moscow, unsure of where the payments ultimately will go. The money failed to deliver Le Pen the French presidency in last year’s election, denying the Kremlin a powerful ally in the heart of Europe. Instead, the 9.4 million-euro loan, then worth $12.2 million, dragged her party into the shadowy underworld of Russian cross-border finance, putting it in league with people accused of having ties to Russian organized crime, money laundering and military operations. The Le Pen loan, analysts say, is an example of how Russian collusion works. After Putin sets out the vision, agents inside and outside the government begin executing it, hoping to score points with him if their gambits succeed. First Czech started out as a joint venture between a Czech state bank and a Russian lender. In the early 2000s, it became part of a Russian pipeline construction company that was subsequently acquired by the firm of a billionaire friend of Putin’s, Gennady Timchenko. Sometime in September 2014, the National Front’s treasurer, Wallerand de Saint Just, went to Moscow. At the bank’s headquarters, he had lunch with Popov and his colleagues and signed a contract that lent the National Front 9.4 million euros at an interest rate of 6 percent per year. The final repayment date was Sept. 23, 2019.

The secrecy didn’t last long. An investigative journalist at the French publication Mediapart exposed the deal 2 1/2 months after it was signed, setting off a firestorm of criticism and more reports from Mediapart and others about financial links between Russian individuals and the French far right. Le Pen dismissed the furor, saying at the time that she had no choice but to turn abroad for a loan and denying that the money influenced her political positions. Le Pen’s party did not respond to a request for comment. Back in Moscow, strange things began happening with the loan. In early 2016, First Czech started mysteriously shedding assets. Russian authorities alleged that millions of dollars in assets fraudulently flowed out the door as regulators closed in on the bank. Among them — the loan extended to Le Pen’s party. Russian regulators described First Czech’s assets as low-quality, saying the company had made loans to shell companies in excess of 19.2 billion rubles, or $277 million at the time. They placed the distressed bank under the management of provisional administrators. Within months, the bank had lost its Russian license, and later it was formally declared insolvent. Czech regulators later pulled the European license, too. The Alliance for Securing Democracy and C4ADS describe the loan in their forthcoming report as an example of how Russian state actors leverage allegedly illicit financial networks for political purposes. What is unclear is how often they do so, given that few such transactions have been exposed and political parties rarely receive formal loans from foreign banks.

Lie down with Russian dogs ... you get Russian fleas. Le Pen knew exactly who she was aligning with, and even visited occupied Crimea to attract European far-right support for her Front National party.

I should not be, but I am consistently impressed with how often we find many things west knowingly or not turning to Russia and/or Russian businesses for financial help.

Years ago I got in all kinds of trouble in this forum for saying Putin / Russia became masterful at punking Obama.

Turns out they are masterful at involvement in just about any aspect and any area of the globe they want to.

I should not be, but I am consistently impressed with how often we find many things west knowingly or not turning to Russia and/or Russian businesses for financial help.

Years ago I got in all kinds of trouble in this forum for saying Putin / Russia became masterful at punking Obama.

Turns out they are masterful at involvement in just about any aspect and any area of the globe they want to.

The Russians are not as masterful as others are gullible.

That situation is now changing as their methodologies become better known.

903.jpg

Marine LePen and her handler, Vladimir Putin.

Lie down with Russian dogs ... you get Russian fleas. Le Pen knew exactly who she was aligning with, and even visited occupied Crimea to attract European far-right support for her Front National party.

Explain to me why Russian banks wouldn't be doing exactly the same things as US banks involved in International commerce. World Bank, IMF, Federal Reserve banks and it's all the same. Crook? Try Wells Fagro. US Venture Funds. Take a close look at USA banks circa 2008. Bailouts, no jail time. The odor of fish is heavy.
/

Explain to me why Russian banks wouldn't be doing exactly the same things as US banks involved in International commerce. World Bank, IMF, Federal Reserve banks and it's all the same. Crook? Try Wells Fagro. US Venture Funds. Take a close look at USA banks circa 2008. Bailouts, no jail time. The odor of fish is heavy.
/

C'mon Fagan. Russian banks don't do anything of an international nature without bringing in the Kremlin and the security services.

Part of that is 'patriotism'. A larger part of that is covering their ass from retribution.

C'mon Fagan. Russian banks don't do anything of an international nature without bringing in the Kremlin and the security services.

Part of that is 'patriotism'. A larger part of that is covering their ass from retribution.

ALL big banking is crooked internationally. There is no difference. USA banks doing business overseas are subjected to the same pressures, regualtions, and Intelligence Agency interference. That's the status quo. If you are naive enough to think that US bankers are some kind of good guys, you need help.
/

ALL big banking is crooked internationally. There is no difference. USA banks doing business overseas are subjected to the same pressures, regualtions, and Intelligence Agency interference. That's the status quo. If you are naive enough to think that US bankers are some kind of good guys, you need help.
/

Then why pretend Le Pen didn't sell herself and her party to the Kremlin?

The Russians are not as masterful as others are gullible.

That situation is now changing as their methodologies become better known.

Agree the first - not so much the second part. The Russians offer all sorts to anyone as long as it continues to sow discord. If one methodology fails, I'm sure they will have others to offer.

Agree the first - not so much the second part. The Russians offer all sorts to anyone as long as it continues to sow discord. If one methodology fails, I'm sure they will have others to offer.
I'll posit here that their "disinformation" quiver doesn't hold all that many arrows.

Best way to not draw attention to your deceit is not drawing attention to it. They sure flunked on that basic KGB lesson by now.

I have to believe that Mueller and the FBI have new insights into Russian kompromat methodologies.

A big problem is that Putin doesn't care about an exposed operation. He just tells them to keep trying things until something clicks.

Back
Top Bottom