• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A request to return to civility and decency

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I think most of us, at least the "old timers", realize that the political debate in this country is in a really sad state of affairs. Long gone are the days when most people could have a rational disagreement and "agree to disagree". It's gotten steadily worse over the past decade or so and it's a trend that I'd prefer to not see continue here at DP.

I'm asking that everyone take a brief moment to proofread your post before you click on "submit". Terms like "racist", "cultist", "antisemite", etc.. aren't what I would consider to be "civil" by any stretch of the imagination. Using sexual terms like "Trump dick sucker", "liberal ass licker", etc... aren't what I would consider to be "decency" by any stretch of the imagination either. We can debate politics and current events without the over the top rhetoric and name calling, at least I'd hope we can.

The moderation team has discussed the increasing amount of the use of sexual terms to denigrate the "other side". If you've been doing this, you know who you are, and so do we. While there isn't a rule in place to deal with this, there used to be - it was called the 'Offensive/Disrespectful Post' rule. We did away with it about 6 1/2 years ago and it hasn't been needed, at least not until recently. But rather than re-create the rule, I'd rather ask everyone to be more civil and more decent.

Please try to be less abrasive and more reasonable in your approach to debate - that's all I'm asking. There isn't a single member of the moderation team that enjoys handing out infractions for over the top rhetoric (or anything for that matter). I'd rather spend my time here reading threads and interacting with other posters than dealing with incivility and countless personal attacks. This forum has a place to be uncivil and attack each other relentlessly. The other forums aren't the place to do that and I'm seeing the incivility more and more in the forums where this type of thing shouldn't be taking place.

This isn't a demand and it isn't a threat - it's simply a request to be a little more mindful of the environment we're creating when we demonize the other side in the way that some have been doing. It is my hope that some of you will read this and take it to heart.

Thanks for reading.

Unsolicited thoughts: I'd be more than happy to pay more attention to behaving myself if b/f/t rules were tightened all around. I'm usually at zero points but not always...

Unsolicited thoughts: I'd be more than happy to pay more attention to behaving myself if b/f/t rules were tightened all around. I'm usually at zero points but not always...

One has nothing to do with the other. This isn't a discussion about the rules as they exist or how they're addressed, this is about asking everyone to be more civil and more decent.

One has nothing to do with the other. This isn't a discussion about the rules as they exist or how they're addressed, this is about asking everyone to be more civil and more decent.

Tightening b/f/t would force more civility. If the team doesn't want to do that, then so be it.

I'll try to stop doing that myself. It's not easy when it is constantly thrown in your face specifically and generally. But I will try and hope others do too.

Tightening b/f/t would force more civility. If the team doesn't want to do that, then so be it.

This isn't the place for this discussion. It's already been made clear that you think B/F/T should be tightened and by stating this you've completely ignored the point of the OP. This is a request for more civility, simple as that.

Agree 100%. Glad you thought it was a good idea to ask the members to keep it civil. Saw what happens when sites turn into nothing more than insults bring thrown around, lost good friends on both sides and the site eventually collapsed. Would hate to see this site go down that path. That said, the next 12 plus months are going to be a rough ride for all, and don't see that at least some are not going to be here in the end, hopefully the majority will remember we are fellow travelers that really only want what is best for all, if so the site will remain alive and well, if not....

Last edited:
I think the problem is due to posters are able to enjoy anonymity.

If everyone had to put their real names and real residential addresses I think the tone would change tremendously.

And everyone here knows they would not talk like this if they met another poster in real life.

Closing the thread to prevent this from getting too far off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom