• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A report card on the Biden administration

Sandy Shanks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.

Speaking only for myself, I WANT rational sane conservatives to have a good voice.
Emphasis on "GOOD" because I WANT rational and sane liberals to also have a good voice.
And I WANT both sides to argue, argue all day long if need be, but I WANT them to argue with respect and dignity, and to treat each other as people who do not see the other side as an enemy that doesn't deserve to survive but instead as "the loyal opposition"...like a friendly football rivalry.
But when they "hit the field", I want the winners to be the American people, not this or that political party.
If the American people do not win, then the teams are not doing their jobs properly.

For ANY of this to proceed, both parties MUST take an inward look and ask themselves if there are members who are not in the job for the American people but only for their own lust for power.

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.
So foolish. Half the nation, the democrats may be having a feelingof optimism but the other half, republicans don't share that feeling.
So a former press secretary for Biden has come out with more dirt on the Bidens, Joe and Hunter. I'm curious, if we find out that all the dirt on Hunter and Joe taking money from Ukraine, China and Russia is true, what would be your reaction?

Biden hit the ground running.

The Times reports, "In 17 executive orders, memorandums and proclamations signed hours after his inauguration, President Biden moved swiftly on Wednesday to dismantle Trump administration policies his aides said have caused the “greatest damage” to the nation.

"Biden’s first actions as president are sharply aimed at sweeping aside former President Donald J. Trump’s pandemic response, reversing his environmental agenda, tearing down his anti-immigration policies, bolstering the teetering economic recovery and restoring federal efforts to promote diversity.

For more on this see: Biden’s 17 Executive Orders and Other Directives in Detail

Listening today, I got the distinct impression there was no time for a weeks long Senate impeachment trial that is doomed to fail. Why in the world would anyone want to invite Trump back to effectively interfere with an overburdened Biden government? Let the courts deal with Trump, not politicians with their own agenda, nearly half of whom are loyal to Trump.

We heard the first professional press briefing in four years. We can all still recall Sean Spicer calling in the White House press corps for his first press briefing, yelling to reporters that Trump had attracted “the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration.”

Trump's press briefings went down from there. Most of the time there were none.

Pardon me, we must all think positive thoughts. Trump with his antagonism toward the press has been replaced by a President who will be open with the press. We are likely to see the return of Presidential solo press conferences. There hasn't been one in three years.

This was originally written on Jan. 12, then repeated on the 18th.

I was right, but that wasn't so hard.

The BBC reports, "There are reports of armed groups planning to gather at all 50 state capitols and in Washington DC in the run-up to his 20 January inauguration.

"Security will be tight for the event after a pro-Trump mob stormed Congress."

The media is going nuts over this warning from the FBI.

I don't believe it for a minute.

There is little doubt that one or more far right groups consisting of Trump's friends like Boogaloo, QAnon, and the Proud Boys are responsible for the threat.

Why do I not believe it? They want to drive the media nuts. They love publicity. Issuing threats is what they do. They have issued countless threats in support of Trump for the past four years.

And lastly, you don't start an insurrection by telling the target where and when the strike is coming.

Trump's followers, like Trump himself, are cowards. It is one thing to attack an unguarded capitol building. It is quite another to attack targets that are guarded by armed troops and/or police. Trump's anarchists arm themselves for display purposes only.

In the two weeks since the deadly Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol, federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, concerned that the right-wing extremists who continue to back former President Donald Trump might stage another attack on Inauguration Day, had turned Capitol campuses into fortified encampments.

But the fury appeared to fizzle after Trump exited the White House and Biden took the oath of office and officially became the 46th president of the United States.

Phony Republican wannabees will lie. Apparently now America is led by polls of a small number such as Pew used.

Before Trump took office. Sandy was blasting him. For things Trump had never done as president.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden’s top medical adviser on the COVID-19 pandemic and White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, conducted a refreshing, highly professional, and informative press briefing today. What a change.

They did so without President Biden hoovering over them or dominating the proceedings. A true leader is able to delegate authority. Biden is that kind of leader even a conservative like me can appreciate.

Trump was never able to delegate authority for two reasons. He didn't trust others to speak for him, and he didn't want to share the limelight with anyone. In the Trump White House, Trump was the spokesman.

But all that is gone now, replaced by professionalism and openness with the press.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Joe Biden’s top medical adviser on the COVID-19 pandemic and White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, conducted a refreshing, highly professional, and informative press briefing today. What a change.

They did so without President Biden hoovering over them or dominating the proceedings. A true leader is able to delegate authority. Biden is that kind of leader even a conservative like me can appreciate.

Trump was never able to delegate authority for two reasons. He didn't trust others to speak for him, and he didn't want to share the limelight with anyone. In the Trump White House, Trump was the spokesman.

But all that is gone now, replaced by professionalism and openness with the press.
Sandy why didn't you actually watch Kayleigh and her press briefings?

Clearly you are smitten by Biden and it seems you already worship the man.

Ummmm, Trump did not do any such hoovering, he hovered.
Stormy Daniels did the hoovering. 🤣

Mushroom Alert.jpg

In politics, as well as in life, one encounters the future by weighing the odds. In a Senate trial of a Republican President it is extremely unlikely that there will be a conviction since 17 Republicans would have to vote with the Democrats.

It is extremely likely that a Senate trial will be a complete waste of time.

Biden needs to get his cabinet certified ASAP. Another 900,000 Americans filed for unemployment for the first time last week. The pandemic is setting records for new deaths, cases, and hospitalizations. The pandemic and the economy is at its worst right now.

The Senate is split right down the middle, 50/50. Biden needs the cooperation of those 50 Republicans to accomplish his tasks.

What are the odds of Republicans cooperating with a Democratic President while the Democrats are trying to convict Trump of "Incitement of Insurrection?"

The answer: slim and none.

For Pelosi to transmit the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate within days makes no sense. She is noncommittal. “I’m not going to be telling you when it is going,” Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters Thursday, adding that it will be "soon."

"Soon" is an imprecise term. Soon could mean hours, days, or weeks.

But, wait, there is a glimmer of hope.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell "proposed on a call with Republican senators Thursday that former President Trump’s impeachment trial be delayed until February to give him enough time to mount a defense.

"McConnell told colleagues that Trump should have at least as much time as the president had in previous trials, which means he would like to postpone the proceeding until the second week of February, according to Republican senators on the call," The Hill.

Great that works perfectly with Biden's plan. I knew these two could work together.

Now, if only the Democrats agree.

So foolish. Half the nation, the democrats may be having a feelingof optimism but the other half, republicans don't share that feeling.
So a former press secretary for Biden has come out with more dirt on the Bidens, Joe and Hunter. I'm curious, if we find out that all the dirt on Hunter and Joe taking money from Ukraine, China and Russia is true, what would be your reaction?
If done as a private citizen, there are laws that deal with that. If done as the President, I want the Senate to allow evidence and witnesses.

I wrote in the OP ...

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm.

Some have said Biden has a funny way of showing unity when he signed seventeen executive orders that reversed seventeen executive orders signed by Trump.

Trump was an unpopular, controversial, divisive President. To achieve unity among all Americans regardless of race, skin color, religion, and gender, Biden was forced to remove Trump's unpopular, controversial, and divisive policies.

Since Biden beat Trump by seven million votes, he felt he had a mandate to do that.

If done as the President, I want the Senate to allow evidence and witnesses.

Funny how everyone who says that and describes in detail all the nasty things Trump did ignore this fundamental fact.

"In a Senate trial of a Republican President it is extremely unlikely that there will be a conviction since 17 Republicans would have to vote with the Democrats.

It is extremely likely that a Senate trial will be a complete waste of time."

Biden needs the Republicans to get his agenda passed. How cooperative will they be when Democrats are trying to convict a Republican?

You are not the only one who is ignoring those issues. The entire Democratic Party is.

Let the courts decide Trump's guilt or innocence, not politicians with an agenda, nearly half of whom are loyal to Trump.

Funny how everyone who says that and describes in detail all the nasty things Trump did ignore this fundamental fact.

"In a Senate trial of a Republican President it is extremely unlikely that there will be a conviction since 17 Republicans would have to vote with the Democrats.

It is extremely likely that a Senate trial will be a complete waste of time."

Biden needs the Republicans to get his agenda passed. How cooperative will they be when Democrats are trying to convict a Republican?

You are not the only one who is ignoring those issues. The entire Democratic Party is.

Let the courts decide Trump's guilt or innocence, not politicians with an agenda, nearly half of whom are loyal to Trump.
Impeachment is not a criminal trial. It is a political trial. D's are going to make R senators go on record supporting a political 'criminal'. 2022 is coming.

Biden needs to get his cabinet certified ASAP. Another 900,000 Americans filed for unemployment for the first time last week. The pandemic is setting records for new deaths, cases, and hospitalizations. The pandemic and the economy is at its worst right now.

The Times reports, "The House will transmit its article of impeachment charging former President Donald J. Trump with “incitement of insurrection” to the Senate on Monday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, triggering the start of a trial unlike any in American history just weeks after Mr. Trump egged on a mob that attacked the Capitol.

"The all-consuming proceeding will overlap with the first days of President Biden’s term, a time when he had hoped to firmly turn the page on his predecessor.

"Neither Ms. Pelosi nor Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, elaborated further on how the trial would run, leaving Washington and the early days of Mr. Biden’s tenure in limbo. Once the article arrives, Senate rules say the chamber must almost immediately be transformed into a court of impeachment and sit in judgment, halting all other business until a verdict is reached.

"But senators can alter the process if they agree, and Mr. Schumer and Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, have been discussing delaying the heart of the trial — in-person arguments by the prosecution and defense lawyers — until the following week."

Impeachment is not a criminal trial. It is a political trial.

Duh!

D's are going to make R senators go on record supporting a political 'criminal'. 2022 is coming.

Do you think voters at the grassroots level, Trump's base, will be bothered by that? Heck, they will cheer the Republicans who stay loyal to Trump. That, my friend, is the problem.

Along with Pelosi, you refuse to deal with this factor. Most likely a Senate trial will be a waste of time at a crucial stage in Biden Presidency. Deal with it!

Duh!

Do you think voters at the grassroots level, Trump's base, will be bothered by that? Heck, they will cheer the Republicans who stay loyal to Trump. That, my friend, is the problem.

Along with Pelosi, you refuse to deal with this factor. Most likely a Senate trial will be a waste of time at a crucial stage in Biden Presidency. Deal with it!
...and do you think that more info on djt corruption (inaugural committee, govt spending at his properties, who received PPP loans) will not come out before 2022. The impeachment will make R senators stand beside the truth or the big lie. djt voters are shrinking every day.

Speaking only for myself, I WANT rational sane conservatives to have a good voice.
Emphasis on "GOOD" because I WANT rational and sane liberals to also have a good voice.
And I WANT both sides to argue, argue all day long if need be, but I WANT them to argue with respect and dignity, and to treat each other as people who do not see the other side as an enemy that doesn't deserve to survive but instead as "the loyal opposition"...like a friendly football rivalry.
But when they "hit the field", I want the winners to be the American people, not this or that political party.
If the American people do not win, then the teams are not doing their jobs properly.

For ANY of this to proceed, both parties MUST take an inward look and ask themselves if there are members who are not in the job for the American people but only for their own lust for power.

Nothing to add, merely amplifying. Well said.

Day 2 is a little early to be writing a report card.

Biden hit the ground running.

The Times reports, "In 17 executive orders, memorandums and proclamations signed hours after his inauguration, President Biden moved swiftly on Wednesday to dismantle Trump administration policies his aides said have caused the “greatest damage” to the nation.

"Biden’s first actions as president are sharply aimed at sweeping aside former President Donald J. Trump’s pandemic response, reversing his environmental agenda, tearing down his anti-immigration policies, bolstering the teetering economic recovery and restoring federal efforts to promote diversity.

For more on this see: Biden’s 17 Executive Orders and Other Directives in Detail

Listening today, I got the distinct impression there was no time for a weeks long Senate impeachment trial that is doomed to fail. Why in the world would anyone want to invite Trump back to effectively interfere with an overburdened Biden government? Let the courts deal with Trump, not politicians with their own agenda, nearly half of whom are loyal to Trump.

We heard the first professional press briefing in four years. We can all still recall Sean Spicer calling in the White House press corps for his first press briefing, yelling to reporters that Trump had attracted “the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration.”

Trump's press briefings went down from there. Most of the time there were none.

Pardon me, we must all think positive thoughts. Trump with his antagonism toward the press has been replaced by a President who will be open with the press. We are likely to see the return of Presidential solo press conferences. There hasn't been one in three years.

What is so great about a president being friendly to the press? You've acted for years now like the "press" is some kind of noble and unbiased national institution.

it isn't.

Once the article arrives, Senate rules say the chamber must almost immediately be transformed into a court of impeachment and sit in judgment, halting all other business until a verdict is reached.

"But senators can alter the process if they agree, and Mr. Schumer and Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, have been discussing delaying the heart of the trial — in-person arguments by the prosecution and defense lawyers — until the following week."

Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the minority leader, had initially proposed a delay until Feb. 15 to get the trial underway.

Biden agreed with McConnell. It would seem the Republican Senate minority leader is working more with Biden and Schumer than is Pelosi. Pelosi is just getting in the way, insisting on a quick transfer of the articles, completely disregarding Biden's agenda while knowing the trial will end in failure.

Fortunately, no thanks to Pelosi, sanity prevailed. It seems the Democrats are in no hurry to hear Trump declare loudly on every major network, "I am innocent again!"

The Times reports, "Senate leaders struck a deal on Friday to delay former President Donald J. Trump’s impeachment trial for two weeks, giving President Biden time to install his cabinet and begin moving a legislative agenda before they begin a historic proceeding to try his predecessor for “incitement of insurrection.'"

The trial will begin Monday, February 8.

The impeachment will make R senators stand beside the truth or the big lie. djt voters are shrinking every day.

Spell it out. So, you think at least 17 Republicans will vote to convict a Republican.

Based on what analysts are saying, that is very unlikely.

Democrats want "to force Republican senators to go on the record with regard to Mr. Trump’s actions as soon as possible after the Jan. 6 siege at the Capitol, carried out by a mob of his supporters whom he had exhorted to fight back against his election defeat," the Times.

The problem with that strategy is very simple. The Democrats are thinking like Democrats. They need to think like grassroots Republicans, Trump's base.

If Republicans "go on the record" and exonerate Trump, his base will cheer loudly and proclaim countless "I told you so's." Out front will be Trump once again declaring his innocence.

74 million Americans voted for Trump, and the vast majority of them reject reality, stay quiet, and stay loyal to Trump. A good many Republicans running in 2022 have reason to be concerned about Trump's base in the primaries.

I can't even begin to understand that devotion, but there it is.

I am hoping the trial will last three to five days. Get it over quick and move on. We have far bigger problems than Trump's fate.

Back
Top Bottom