• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A refusal to leave office on January 20?

pjohns

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
As Byron York, in The Washington Examiner (August 13, 2020), notes, some members of the "Resistance" are now speculating that (1) Trump will lose the general election in November (which, in itself, is not an unusual conjecture); (2) he will refuse to leave office on January 20, 2021; and (3) he has amassed a private army, which will clash with the US Army, when the latter tries to remove him from office.

Alternatively, he notes that some journalists have concocted a scenario in which Trump actually wins, but Biden "refuse to accept the result in hopes that the military would side with him against the president."

In either case, there would be considerable bloodletting--our own version of the Civil War.

Comments?

As Byron York, in The Washington Examiner (August 13, 2020), notes, some members of the "Resistance" are now speculating that (1) Trump will lose the general election in November (which, in itself, is not an unusual conjecture); (2) he will refuse to leave office on January 20, 2021; and (3) he has amassed a private army, which will clash with the US Army, when the latter tries to remove him from office.

Alternatively, he notes that some journalists have concocted a scenario in which Trump actually wins, but Biden "refuse to accept the result in hopes that the military would side with him against the president."

In either case, there would be considerable bloodletting--our own version of the Civil War.

Comments?

We've been here before. And no, the military would stand with the president, not Biden.

As Byron York, in The Washington Examiner (August 13, 2020), notes, some members of the "Resistance" are now speculating that (1) Trump will lose the general election in November
Bull.

Liberal fantasy based on liberally slanted polling.

The civil war will begin if Trump wins.

No, when Trump loses the election he'll fight it for some time, try to slow things down through courts and bog down the system with recount requests. But come January 20th, he'll leave.

This phrasing makes it sound like liberals are planning to cheat.

No, that's the GOP attempting that. Closing down polling sites, launching an attack on Mail-In voting, putting a Crony in charge of the USPS who undercuts its capabilities, turning off functioning sorting machines all to impact Mail-In voting while we are in a global pandemic. The GOP hates America, that much is clear at this point.

No, that's the GOP attempting that. Closing down polling sites, launching an attack on Mail-In voting, putting a Crony in charge of the USPS who undercuts its capabilities, turning off functioning sorting machines all to impact Mail-In voting while we are in a global pandemic. The GOP hates America, that much is clear at this point.

Nothing is more clear about this election. This is a power grab at any and all costs. The GOP will stand by and let him do it rather than denounce his actions. But he will leave office on time.

:cuckoo:​

No, when Trump loses the election he'll fight it for some time, try to slow things down through courts and bog down the system with recount requests. But come January 20th, he'll leave.

How sure can we be at this point of that and how sure can we be that there won’t be a constitutional cluster**** of epic proportions.

Remember, around 40% of the population right now, is either vocally supporting or approving by their silence the clear and transparent attempt to rig the election.

I used to think if it wasn’t close, then it probably was not a possibility.

But if it’s close, or if it’s found that Trump lost overwhelmingly because he didn’t do quite enough to stop mail ballots and enough got there to make his loss possible and he cries foul.

The Senate does not change hands and senate republicans once again, in fear of backlash from his moronic supporters, stand by his attempt to stay in office.

I’m not saying he can necessarily successfully stay in office, but to say at this point we won’t see something spectacularly insane is ignorant of what we have seen already.

Because here’s the thing about Trump that keeps coming true.

Tomorrow.

Will.

Be.

Worse.

Universal mail-in voting is not the national norm.

Liberals are launching an attack on voting procedures we’ve had in place, for our own protection, for over 200 years.

Why would anyone not be able to swing by a polling location if it were kept open for two weeks to avoid overcrowding?

No, if he loses he'll leave. And he will take the millions of idiots who support him to a Trump Cable TV Network where they will all spend their days talking about white power and fake nooz, and listening to Uncle Donald share stories about the ***** grabbing and peeping on adolescent pageant contestants he loves so much.

How sure can we be at this point of that and how sure can we be that there won’t be a constitutional cluster**** of epic proportions.

Remember, around 40% of the population right now, is either vocally supporting or approving by their silence the clear and transparent attempt to rig the election.

I used to think if it wasn’t close, then it probably was not a possibility.

But if it’s close, or if it’s found that Trump lost overwhelmingly because he didn’t do quite enough to stop mail ballots and enough got there to make his loss possible and he cries foul.

The Senate does not change hands and senate republicans once again, in fear of backlash from his moronic supporters, stand by his attempt to stay in office.

I’m not saying he can necessarily successfully stay in office, but to say at this point we won’t see something spectacularly insane is ignorant of what we have seen already.

Because here’s the thing about Trump that keeps coming true.

Tomorrow.

Will.

Be.

Worse.

I think we are already there.

It's just more of a slow-motion train wreck right now.

Just look at the comments of Trump supporters in this thread and also the comments of Trump supporters on this forum in other threads. I have yet to read criticism of Trump interfering with the operations of the USPS in order to win.

The Trump cult appears intent on destroying the Republic.

Liberals are launching an attack on voting procedures we’ve had in place, for our own protection, for over 200 years.

Why would anyone not be able to swing by a polling location if it were kept open for two weeks to avoid overcrowding?

The GOP has been closing polling places.

And we're in a pandemic.

And States have been moving to mail-in systems and they work perfectly well. Why would anyone want to stand in crowded lines for hours in increasingly harder to get to polling locations when they can just mail in their ballot?

Within the context of a global pandemic, trying to interfere with the operations of the USPS is just plain wrong. People should be able to vote without risking their lives.

The only reason you and other Trump supporters oppose is it is that you know if more people vote it's more likely that Trump will win. That's the bottom line. And it's not okay. And I think you guys are launching our country in the direction of a Civil War.

People are not going to put up with this. It's not okay to take away the ability of people to vote. It's not okay. It's wrong.

Here's an idea! Why don't we adequately fund the USPS so people can mail in their ballots if they want and so they can expect to arrive in time? What's the harm? What's the big deal? Why block this? Why make it harder for people to vote?

There is no good excuse other than the fact that you think your political opponents do not have the right to vote. And that is not okay.

Why would anyone want to stand in crowded lines for hours in increasingly harder to get to polling locations when they can just mail in their ballot?

The polling locations don’t have to be crowded. We can keep them open for two weeks.

If there are widespread reports of ballots being lost or fraudulent activity, it will be nearly impossible for the winning candidate to govern. Which is why we’ve had in person voting for over two centuries.

I think we are already there.

It's just more of a slow-motion train wreck right now.

Just look at the comments of Trump supporters in this thread and also the comments of Trump supporters on this forum in other threads. I have yet to read criticism of Trump interfering with the operations of the USPS in order to win.

The Trump cult appears intent on destroying the Republic.

The thing is, even many of Trumps detractors don’t have a net here.

I come from Africa, people are blind to the true, full extent of how dangerous what he’s doing actually is.

They think “Can’t happen here... Surely”.

Oh my sweet children.

Trump is not just opening up Pandora’s box with this.

He’s smashing the box with a sledgehammer and what comes out could be incredibly destructive.

What if this goes further than people think, even Trump.

What if he stifles not just thousands, hundreds of thousands, but millions of votes.

And he wins.

and at the same time there are millions in the streets because Congress has failed to act.

It’s a powder keg and it’s ready to blow.

The only reason you and other Trump supporters oppose is it is that you know if more people vote it's more likely that Trump will win. That's the bottom line. And it's not okay. And I think you guys are launching our country in the direction of a Civil War..
You all are the ones trying to change the established system of voting. If there is any kind of a Civil War, it’s on you, not us.

The polling locations don’t have to be crowded. We can keep them open for two weeks.

If there are widespread reports of ballots being lost or fraudulent activity, it will be nearly impossible for the winning candidate to govern. Which is why we’ve had in person voting for over two centuries.

Colorado has run a mail-in system for several years to great effect. We used to have steam engines too, but have moved to diesel, gas, and electric engines because they are better. Given the shrinking physical polling locations and the pandemic, mail-in voting make sense. And since it works and increases voter turnout, it's a superior method. There's no reason in 2020 that we cannot have a mail-in system.

The GOP has been closing polling places.

And we're in a pandemic.

And States have been moving to mail-in systems and they work perfectly well. Why would anyone want to stand in crowded lines for hours in increasingly harder to get to polling locations when they can just mail in their ballot?

Absolutely! Why would anyone want this? (Wisconsin's primary).

Q1ESWRpm.jpg

The SS would probably arrest him for trespassing, just like any other civilian trespassing in the WH.

Comments?

My comment is in the form of highlighting the key word in this whole tin-foil hat fiction.

They should write a novel. I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

Colorado has run a mail-in system for several years to great effect. We used to have steam engines too, but have moved to diesel, gas, and electric engines because they are better. Given the shrinking physical polling locations and the pandemic, mail-in voting make sense. And since it works and increases voter turnout, it's a superior method. There's no reason in 2020 that we cannot have a mail-in system.

With all due respect, whenever I suggest keeping polling locations open for two weeks, to eliminate crowds, I hit a wall with the liberal crowd.

Which makes me suspicious that this isn't all just about COVID safety.

With all due respect, whenever I suggest keeping polling locations open for two weeks, to eliminate crowds, I hit a wall with the liberal crowd.

Which makes me suspicious that this isn't all just about COVID safety.

Are polling places open for 2 weeks? We staffing people for two weeks? It doesn't matter too much how long they are open if there aren't many available. There's no reason to shut down over 600 sorting machines or undercutting the USPS to try to kill mail-in voting when mail-in voting can benefit everyone even if polling places are shut down.

With all due respect, every time I mention that Mail-In ballot systems have already successfully been established in some States to great effect and higher turnout, I hit a wall with the "conservative" crowd.

Back
Top Bottom