• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Question To Consider -- Would Putin Be Attacking Ukraine Right Now If Not For Jan 6?

RIP U.S. Democracy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We'll never know the answer to that question. Personally, I think Jan 6 had a significant impact on Putin's decision to attack Ukraine. I think Jan 6 emboldened Putin.

Putin saw the despicable insurrection attempt on the U.S. Capitol and how a U.S. political party (i.e. the Republican Party) has given up on democracy. He saw how 147 members of the Republican Party tried to overthrow a duly elected President, with no evidence of voter fraud.

Putin saw a weakened America on Jan 6 where democracy is struggling to survive. In my opinion, Jan 6 helped make the invasion of Ukraine a gamble worth taking for Putin.

This is just ridiculous. Putin had already invaded 2 countries with little to no repercussion, this was inevitable and has nothing to do with Jan 6th

This is just ridiculous. Putin had already invaded 2 countries with little to no repercussion, this was inevitable and has nothing to do with Jan 6th

Which countries are you referring to? Crimea has been disputed territory forever. Attacking Ukraine is a whole different game.

We'll never know the answer to that question. Personally, I think Jan 6 had a significant impact on Putin's decision to attack Ukraine. I think Jan 6 emboldened Putin.

Putin saw the despicable insurrection attempt on the U.S. Capitol and how a U.S. political party (i.e. the Republican Party) has given up on democracy. He saw how 147 members of the Republican Party tried to overthrow a duly elected President, with no evidence of voter fraud.

Putin saw a weakened America on Jan 6 where democracy is struggling to survive. In my opinion, Jan 6 helped make the invasion of Ukraine a gamble worth taking for Putin.
I think it's more a function of Nov 2020.

Jan 6 alone doesn't seem like a factor. But it is an example of the general division in the US that Putin takes advantage of.

I can respect that. Personally, I think Jan 6 is both an example and a factor.

I think it's more a function of Nov 2020.

Well, they are closely related. After all, your traitor fascist party whined for two months before Jan 6 about a stolen election, with zero evidence. I'm sure Putin was paying close attention.

That is the appeasement line, good job remembering it. Russia also invaded Georgia

No, it's a historical fact about Crimea.

Ukraine is 10 times the size of Georgia and Ukraine borders major European countries like Poland. The invasion of Ukraine is a much bigger deal than Crimea or Georgia. In addition, the U.S. and NATO did not object nearly as strongly to the Georgia invasion back in 2008.

Indeed. Of the top 200 reasons Putin used to justify the Ukraine invasion, Jan 6 was in the high 180s.
Roughly reason 187-188ish ... give or take.

:rolleyes:

Indeed. Of the top 200 reasons Putin used to justify the Ukraine invasion, Jan 6 was in the high 180s.
Roughly reason 187-188ish ... give or take.

:rolleyes:

Not "justify"....Did Putin use Jan 6 in his calculation to attack Ukraine, because he saw how weak the U.S. was on Jan 6? You can't rule that out.

Well let's be totally honest here - the only reason Putin is attacking the Ukraine is because Trump asked him to after failing in his treasonous, traitorous, seditious, not-at-all-funny coup d-etat of the Capitol with his massive army of white supremacists, agrarian deplorables, and disillusioned soccer moms; that and Biden gave him the nod (as told), in exchange for consideration for Hunter and thanks for fixing the election, and Nancy Pelosi couldn't be reached because she was getting a facelift (without a mask), and AOC received assurances she'd get several hundred barrels of her special "Russki Red" lipstick for a nod in Putin's favor.

I mean seriously, what the frell is the premise of this inane thread in the first place? "Putin bad. Republicans worse?"

Well let's be totally honest here - the only reason Putin is attacking the Ukraine is because Trump asked him to after failing in his treasonous, traitorous, seditious, not-at-all-funny coup d-etat of the Capitol with his massive army of white supremacists, agrarian deplorables, and disillusioned soccer moms; that and Biden gave him the nod (as told), in exchange for consideration for Hunter and thanks for fixing the election, and Nancy Pelosi couldn't be reached because she was getting a facelift (without a mask), and AOC received assurances she'd get several hundred barrels of her special "Russki Red" lipstick for a nod in Putin's favor.

I mean seriously, what the frell is the premise of this inane thread in the first place? "Putin bad. Republicans worse?"

You don't think Putin saw a weakened U.S. on Jan 6 and that he is taking advantage of that right now?

That's the point of this thread.

Oh come on! If we can't blame this on Trump then we're simply not doing our job as Americans.

Unless we all come together as a nation and wake up every morning with a burning desire and an unceasing devotion to find something we don't like and then find a way to blame it on Trump then we are going to lose the democracy we fought so hard to bend to our will! Remember this, fellow Americans, There is nothing to fear but Trump himself!!!!

You don't think Putin saw a weakened U.S. on Jan 6 and that he is taking advantage of that right now?

That's the point of this thread.
No, I don't believe that for an instant.

The only thing that would give anyone a reason to believe the US is somehow weakened is the current administration and its doddering old "leader."

I think it has more to do with the current President of Ukraine. The instability in the US political realm which he helped orchestrate is a smaller reason.

No, I don't believe that for an instant.

The only thing that would give anyone a reason to believe the US is somehow weakened is the current administration and its doddering old "leader."

Well, I see you are part of the insane right. Never mind.

Jan 6 alone doesn't seem like a factor. But it is an example of the general division in the US that Putin takes advantage of.
What would a more united United States be doing that Putin would be afraid of? I imagine he considers it a nice bit of icing on the cake that Trump, Carlson and all the rest are praising him up while painting Ukraine as a cesspool of corruption ruled by the Biden Crime Family... but I can't see it changing a whole lot were American politics more normal.

I think it has more to do with the current President of Ukraine. The instability in the US political realm which he helped orchestrate is a smaller reason.

And I can respect that opinion. I still think it's a question worth considering.

He would still be invading much like the other countries but your question isnt unfounded. Russia has been trying to destabilize NATO for years what better way to do that?

Back
Top Bottom