• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A question if anyone can answer related to 'Caste' system in India

junno

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As I have been debating in other sections about 'Caste' system in India being followed even today - the plight of the 'Dalits' - meaning 'Untouchables' - is ignored by us. We had the civil rights movement - the citizens of this world put an end to aparthied in South Africa and slavery in Africa. The 'Dalits' are no better than slaves in even the 21st century and all we are doing is pouring in dollars to India and losing our jobs. Can't we expect a change in culture in India? Is that too much to ask?

I want to ask any knowledgable person if he/she knows - Has anytime in history, the State Department, White House or the Congress gave any statement on 'Untouchables' in India or passed a bill?

Thanks.

(few links on Dalits)
http://www.ambedkar.org/News/Cssacndzsm.htm
www.dalits.org

I'm not an expert on India, but any change to their caste system would be very difficult to implement. It's more of culture thing that encompasses all parts of their lives. Changing their way of life isn't going to be easy.

junno said:
I want to ask any knowledgable person if he/she knows - Has anytime in history, the State Department, White House or the Congress gave any statement on 'Untouchables' in India or passed a bill?
http://www.ambedkar.org/News/Cssacndzsm.htm
www.dalits.org

Per your own site:
The US Senate passed a special resolution on 25 July 2001 (H.R. 2506), that the US contribution to the World Bank urban development projects in Asia would have the following condition attached: "that the Secretary of the Treasury shall instruct the United States executive director to the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development to vote against any water or sewage project in India that does not prohibit the use of scavenger labour."

Back
Top Bottom