• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A question for Trump wall supporters

My apologies you are correct about the OP.

The main reason I oppose the wall is because its stupid. I think that we should give the money requested for the wall and put it into the border patrol allowing hiring more border patrol agents. Logically you would do that first since a wall/border cannot guard itself. Without people there to guard the wall, the wall might as well not exist. And if you have enough personal to guard the wall, then you do not need the wall. The entire thing is stupid.
Thats all well and good...but the actual border patrol doesnt want more agents...they want a wall.

"In a survey conducted by the National Border Patrol Council, the agents’ union, they overwhelmingly supported adding a “wall system” in strategic locations, embracing President Trump’s argument that it will boost their ability to nab or deter would-be illegal immigrants.

Agents also said they need the government to change the “catch and release” policy. They often have to immediately release illegal border crossers they arrest, giving them the chance to disappear into the shadows with the 11 million other illegal immigrants in the U.S.

The findings, shared with The Washington Times, appear to undercut the argument of congressional Democrats, who released a report last month concluding that line agents didn’t support Mr. Trump’s plans for a wall. The report was based on an internal tool used by Homeland Security to evaluate security gaps.

The NBPC’s survey, of more than 600 agents in two of the Border Patrol’s busiest sectors, found just the opposite: A stunning 89 percent of line agents say a “wall system in strategic locations is necessary to securing the border.” Just 7 percent disagreed."
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/2/border-patrol-agents-back-trump-wall-survey-finds/

You don't seem to understand the point of the question. I'll spell it out for you.

The point is that if someone is highly motivated to cross the border a wall won't stop them.

The point of the hypothetical is to imagine yourself in a desperate situation where you desperately want to cross the border. By imagining that situation it's clear that a wall won't dissuade you.

Clearly, the kind of people willing to risk being raped and murdered by drug cartels and walk hundreds of miles are highly motivated.

Now that you understand, I hope you see that your points are irrelevant.

Then why didn't they stop in Mexico? Look, we can play hypotheticals all day long. Your hypothetical is also irrelevant. For one, you have yet to prove those who came up to our border are that desperate. Two, you failed to show why they would not seek a better live in Mexico. Interesting how some left family in the home country that is such a bad place to be.

Here is my take. They are coming to the US betting on getting a hand out. Sorry, I have no sympathy for those who want to break our laws.

Last. in your hypothetical you asked what I would do. I told you. You just didn't like the answers.

Thats all well and good...but the actual border patrol doesnt want more agents...they want a wall.

"In a survey conducted by the National Border Patrol Council, the agents’ union, they overwhelmingly supported adding a “wall system” in strategic locations, embracing President Trump’s argument that it will boost their ability to nab or deter would-be illegal immigrants.

Agents also said they need the government to change the “catch and release” policy. They often have to immediately release illegal border crossers they arrest, giving them the chance to disappear into the shadows with the 11 million other illegal immigrants in the U.S.

The findings, shared with The Washington Times, appear to undercut the argument of congressional Democrats, who released a report last month concluding that line agents didn’t support Mr. Trump’s plans for a wall. The report was based on an internal tool used by Homeland Security to evaluate security gaps.

The NBPC’s survey, of more than 600 agents in two of the Border Patrol’s busiest sectors, found just the opposite: A stunning 89 percent of line agents say a “wall system in strategic locations is necessary to securing the border.” Just 7 percent disagreed."
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/2/border-patrol-agents-back-trump-wall-survey-finds/

I bolded the part you obviously ignored. Remind me? Is Trump's plan for a wall "in strategic locations"? I have nothing against a wall in strategic locations. Makes sense. There are already walls in strategic locations.

Border patrol supporting a wall in strategic locations is not the same as border patrol agents supporting Trump's wall. Nice try at equivocation.

Imagine the U.S. was taken over by radical Stalinists. Life is so miserable that you desperately want to move to a more free country but emigration is banned. Canada is just as bad. Your best hope is to escape through Mexico.

There's just one problem. Mexico has built a wall.

Would you give up your plans to escape because of the wall Mexico built? Would a wall discourage the kind of person so motivated that they would travel 1,000 miles on foot across territory controlled by drug cartels who are likely to rape or murder them?

I'm looking for honest rational answers.
If you want honest, rational answers you have to ask an honest rational question, not one loaded to give you the answer you want.

It seems asking Trump supporters for a rational answer may be asking too much.
In other words you got a honest, rational answer and can't handle it.

Using the word 'scum' to describe people with differing options is rational? Actually in this day and age with Trump as Prez, unfortunately maybe it is.
He was just speaking "liberal" while responding. Kinda of a Maxine Waters dialect actually.

I bolded the part you obviously ignored. Remind me? Is Trump's plan for a wall "in strategic locations"? I have nothing against a wall in strategic locations. Makes sense. There are already walls in strategic locations.

Border patrol supporting a wall in strategic locations is not the same as border patrol agents supporting Trump's wall. Nice try at equivocation.
Do you agree we need walls in strategic locations? Do you believe the walls we currently have are adequate?

Do you agree we need walls in strategic locations? Do you believe the walls we currently have are adequate?

We already have walls in strategic locations. I don't have a problem with walls in strategic locations. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. That's not what Trump has promised.

In this video, a helicopter travels over the entire border. It took 10 days, but you really get a sense of the absurdity of what Trump is talking about. There are enormous rivers and mountains along the way. It's just ridiculous.

Thousands of people died trying to cross these deserts. What makes anyone think a simple wall would stop them?

In other words you got a honest, rational answer and can't handle it.

No, I didn't get any rational honest answers. Let me list what I did get.

1. Lots of dumb answers attacking the hypothetical rather than answer the issue regarding motivated people and walls.

2. A few claims that the vast majority of these people aren't highly motivated. Yet we see caravans that travel hundreds of miles and we find dead bodies in the desert. We hear about people being raped and murdered by cartels.

3. One guy insisted that even if it deterred a few it was worth it. But Trump's wall is supposed to solve the problem of drugs and illegal immigration not reduce it by 20% at the cost of billions of dollars in building and yearly maintenance.

Imagine the U.S. was taken over by radical Stalinists. Life is so miserable that you desperately want to move to a more free country but emigration is banned. Canada is just as bad. Your best hope is to escape through Mexico.

Would you give up your plans to escape because of the wall Mexico built? Would a wall discourage the kind of person so motivated that they would travel 1,000 miles on foot across territory controlled by drug cartels who are likely to rape or murder them?

I would start or join a revolution to take back my country. It'd be 1776 all over again. Maybe I'd write the next Declaration of Independence. That'd be pretty cool.

What is the point of this topic? I was expecting a complex philosophical question to make me seriously question building the wall.

They should move to Texas, New Zealand, France or Hungary if that happened.
Work as a deck hand or on the navigation bridge of a ship to get over there if they had to.
All of those foreign countries mentioned are a delight to live in.

According to open border advocates and other pro-illegal immigration scum a border wall is useless and will not stop illegal immigration. So using that logic how will it stop someone from fleeing then?

+3 points.

They should move to Texas, New Zealand, France or Hungary if that happened.
Work as a deck hand or on the navigation bridge of a ship to get over there if they had to.
All of those foreign countries mentioned are a delight to live in.

Very good, sir. I don't see the radical Stalinists taking over Texas easily. If I saw Stalinism taking over this country, Texas would be the place that I would move to. It'd probably be the site of the revolution to take back the country.

No wall will stop them. One fact can cause fewer illegals. Make them ineligible for any social welfare relief. If they had to find relatives or friends in this Country to support them, the flow would be reduced. Would it be a trickle? That's an unknown because it depends how bad it is in their National home environment. The "banana Republics," of history and USA Corporatism./

Dave,
Speaking of which, did you see the DRUNK HISTORY episode about banana republics? Hilarious, but all true.

According to open border advocates and other pro-illegal immigration scum a border wall is useless and will not stop illegal immigration. So using that logic how will it stop someone from fleeing then?

Very, very good point.

Good job pointing out that particular superficial, intellectually shallow aspect of the anti-border-wall side.

For this, you get the Best Comment of the Day Award.

award.jpg

Very good, sir. I don't see the radical Stalinists taking over Texas easily. If I saw Stalinism taking over this country, Texas would be the place that I would move to. It'd probably be the site of the revolution to take back the country.

Thank you. We enjoy our independence and our unique ethnic and racial makeup. It is because of that makeup, we are so fiercely independent.
Like China we tend to absorb and "Texanize" visitors who decide to come here and stay.

Now, would you like your brisket sliced or chopped, my friend.

Very, very good point.

Good job pointing out that particular superficial, intellectually shallow aspect of the anti-border-wall side.

For this, you get the Best Comment of the Day Award.

View attachment 67247530

lol. It was the dumbest comment in the thread. Dumb and dumber, I guess.

So you deserve this...

stupidest-comment-of-5ab1b0.jpg

No, I didn't get any rational honest answers. Let me list what I did get.

1. Lots of dumb answers attacking the hypothetical rather than answer the issue regarding motivated people and walls.

2. A few claims that the vast majority of these people aren't highly motivated. Yet we see caravans that travel hundreds of miles and we find dead bodies in the desert. We hear about people being raped and murdered by cartels.

3. One guy insisted that even if it deterred a few it was worth it. But Trump's wall is supposed to solve the problem of drugs and illegal immigration not reduce it by 20% at the cost of billions of dollars in building and yearly maintenance.
"supposed to solve"? Sorry, maybe in some burst of rhetorical speech, but in reality it's a part of a larger strategy.

lol. It was the dumbest comment in the thread. Dumb and dumber, I guess.

So you deserve this...

stupidest-comment-of-5ab1b0.jpg

No, it was actually a good comment.

You just did not have a good rationalization to refute it.

Instead of actually trying to rationally point out that it was the "dumbest comment in the thread," you used my frivolity against me, which pretty much sums up your intellectual depth--that of a puddle. :lamo

Thank you. We enjoy our independence and our unique ethnic and racial makeup. It is because of that makeup, we are so fiercely independent.
Like China we tend to absorb and "Texanize" visitors who decide to come here and stay.

Now, would you like your brisket sliced or chopped, my friend.

Sliced of course, my friend. Maybe some BBQ sauce and an ice-cold Coke, to boot!

Sliced of course, my friend. Maybe some BBQ sauce and an ice-cold Coke, to boot!

I like it sliced too. I will make sure i put some good marble in with it.
My treat if you ever get down this way.
I know just the place.
Shep's in Palestine.

I like it sliced too. I will make sure i put some good marble in with it.
My treat if you ever get down this way.
I know just the place.
Shep's in Palestine.

I'll take you up on that offer if I ever head that way, friend!

I'll take you up on that offer if I ever head that way, friend!

See ya then, my new friend.
You will find I behave the same way in real life as i do here, except I am not as quite as good looking as in my profile picture.
...but my wife just rolls her eyes at it.

me.jpg

That's why we have the 2nd Amendment. To take our country back from tyranny.

Back
Top Bottom