• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A question for athiests

George_Washington said:
To me, atheists are hard to understand. I just don't understand how somebody could think this Universe is so screwed up as to not provide an afterlife for us all. I just don't understand how people can not have faith that something good will happen to them after they die. The idea of us simply being born, living, and then dying and being dead for all eternity seems just so illogical and irrational to me. But than again, I'm sure atheists have reasons for thinking the way they do and I have tolerance for their beliefs...no matter how irrational I think they are.

Why does the universe have to cater to our needs? Only people that are alone and afraid of the idea of death think up the idea of an afterlife. Figuratively, we are no different than, let's say ants. The cells that build up to human life is exactly the same as the cell structure in an ant. But, I'm guessing ants don't go to heaven, right? The difference between an ant and a homo sapein is that we have the intellectual ability to cook up a mythological place such as "heaven." The thing is, we can't imagine it, that is not proof of it's existence by any stretch of the imagination, and you bible-thumpers excel at stretching your imagination's.:2razz: If someone doesn't quite like the idea of dying, they can fabricate any place they see fit. People have been fabricating all kinds of fairy stories for centuries- hence, we have superstitions, or religions. But these said fairy stories don't change the fact of the reality of death. I hope you realize this, but you are a giant-sized chemical reaction, and when those same chemicals stop reacting, you're road kill.

George_Washington said:
I guess I wouldn't want to be here on Earth forever...but I certainly would want to be some place. What I mean is, I would like to still be conscious in some way or another.

The only place you're going is 6-feet under. Death is nothing to harp about. At the time of death, our cells probably disperse, and re-organize on all the objects around at the time. The materials we're composed of will never dissapear completely. As for a conscience, that's up in the air, it's just wishful thinking.

After I die, I actually wouldn't mind going to some really futuristic, high tech place like Star Wars or Star Trek...lol

Nice poetic fantasy.:2razz:

Back
Top Bottom