• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A question about race..

Naptyme

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
All of my friends at work are black and it seems almost impossible to have any kind or rational discussion about this case. What is it about this case that has such an emotional hold on some people they can't look at it objectively? Whenever I see or hear cases where a white person dies I don't feel any attachment to them, it doesn't affect me any more or less than the death of Trayvon. I guess I'm just curious as to why is there such a bond between black people that doesn't seem to be there among white people. What are your opinions on this?

All of my friends at work are black and it seems almost impossible to have any kind or rational discussion about this case. What is it about this case that has such an emotional hold on some people they can't look at it objectively? Whenever I see or hear cases where a white person dies I don't feel any attachment to them, it doesn't affect me any more or less than the death of Trayvon. I guess I'm just curious as to why is there such a bond between black people that doesn't seem to be there among white people. What are your opinions on this?

Black racism. So quick to call whites racist, that they ignore their own racist tendencies....

Recent history. Learn it and all will be revealed.

Because they have a deep US vs THEM mentality. Whites dont.

Why not ask them instead of us?

a good part of the answer is the first response you got from the bigot DTjr (post #2) ... as long as we have people who "think" the way he does, it'll continue to be a problem ... the other part of the problem lies in the unique experience of slavery and Jim Crow, continued discrimination ... the bond comes from the shared experience of being a member of a group that has been discriominated against for so long ... as long as Italians, for example, were discriminated against, the stronger their bonds as Italians ... same with the Irish ... as society opens up, and allows groups in, the in-group bonds weaken and they start to form bonds with others ... it'll take time, and people like DTjr don't help ... but when DT and others like him kick the bucket, there will be fewer and fewer folks like him to take his place ... after all, we elected a black man president TWICE ... that couldn't have happened 20 years ago ... it's getting better, and it requires patience, and it requires trying to understand others' position from their perspective ... no one said it would be easy ... btw, some of what the president said the other night should help to understand the phenomenon ...

Why not ask them instead of us?

I was going to tonight when I got to work. I just figured I would see what everyone here believed but sadly I don't think this conversation can be had here.

Because they have a deep US vs THEM mentality. Whites dont.

but who created the Them-us conditions that led to the mentality to begin with? and, yes, the oppressed group always has a strong "we" feeling ... it's a survival thing ... Jews have a very strong "we" feeling after centuries of persecution, even though they're much more accepted in our society than blacks ...

I was going to tonight when I got to work. I just figured I would see what everyone here believed but sadly I don't think this conversation can be had here.

you may be right, but I hope that what I wrote helped ... I was trying ..

these racist blacks!

whites have been suffering from their racist actions

a good part of the answer is the first response you got from the bigot DTjr (post #2) ... as long as we have people who "think" the way he does, it'll continue to be a problem ... the other part of the problem lies in the unique experience of slavery and Jim Crow, continued discrimination ... the bond comes from the shared experience of being a member of a group that has been discriominated against for so long ... as long as Italians, for example, were discriminated against, the stronger their bonds as Italians ... same with the Irish ... as society opens up, and allows groups in, the in-group bonds weaken and they start to form bonds with others ... it'll take time, and people like DTjr don't help ... but when DT and others like him kick the bucket, there will be fewer and fewer folks like him to take his place ... after all, we elected a black man president TWICE ... that couldn't have happened 20 years ago ... it's getting better, and it requires patience, and it requires trying to understand others' position from their perspective ... no one said it would be easy ... btw, some of what the president said the other night should help to understand the phenomenon ...

That was pretty much what I expected, I noticed that when speaking to them about it the racial profiling part they all seemed to identify with and had a hard time getting past to view the rest of case.

As for the second part I completely agree. I remember when we were discussing the Paula Deen case and my first response was why are you even shocked a 50+ year old white person is racist. The one problem I have though is that while through time racism has slowly gone away the past few years seem to have been a upward swing. Do you feel we are still on the right track or do you also see this as a growing problem as of late?

I didn't mention it that way to be a smart ass (though I guess it came out that way). I really think you should ask them and listen to the responses you get. I tried this with a client of mine and we actually had a great conversation. Frankly, I got quite a bit out of it.

That was pretty much what I expected, I noticed that when speaking to them about it the racial profiling part they all seemed to identify with and had a hard time getting past to view the rest of case.

As for the second part I completely agree. I remember when we were discussing the Paula Deen case and my first response was why are you even shocked a 50+ year old white person is racist. The one problem I have though is that while through time racism has slowly gone away the past few years seem to have been a upward swing. Do you feel we are still on the right track or do you also see this as a growing problem as of late?

I think we've seen an upsurge because we elected a black man, which upset some folks and there was a backlash, and because his election made others think or claim that there was no longer racism because he was elected (a post-racial America), and they were therefore much less sympathetic to claims of racism by minority groups (which of course angers people from minority groups). Also, the demographics in this country are changing and changin quickly. If you don't count Latinos as white, the portion of the population that is white has been dropping pretty quickly. That scares a lot of people. Between 2000 and 2010, Latinos accounted for over 50% of the population growth in the U.S. That scares people, but especially those who believe that whites are superior to other racial and ethnic groups. I think we're still on the right track and with time, more and more people will see that it was much ado about nothing ...

I didn't mention it that way to be a smart ass (though I guess it came out that way). I really think you should ask them and listen to the responses you get. I tried this with a client of mine and we actually had a great conversation. Frankly, I got quite a bit out of it.

No worries, I didn't take it as being a smart ass. The comment I made wasnt in response to you or window. I just saw where this could degrade into something I wasn't intending.

I guess I'm just curious as to why is there such a bond between black people that doesn't seem to be there among white people. What are your opinions on this?
Black people have been historically treated like **** because of their race and white people have not.

/end thread

I think we've seen an upsurge because we elected a black man, which upset some folks and there was a backlash, and because his election made others think or claim that there was no longer racism because he was elected (a post-racial America), and they were therefore much less sympathetic to claims of racism by minority groups (which of course angers people from minority groups). Also, the demographics in this country are changing and changin quickly. If you don't count Latinos as white, the portion of the population that is white has been dropping pretty quickly. That scares a lot of people. Between 2000 and 2010, Latinos accounted for over 50% of the population growth in the U.S. That scares people, but especially those who believe that whites are superior to other racial and ethnic groups. I think we're still on the right track and with time, more and more people will see that it was much ado about nothing ...

Seems logical, I can see where that would have an impact. I honestly didn't even think about the part about the post-racial America part. Looking back it is hard to believe I missed it. I always noticed the "we elected a black president " comments in response to claims of racism but never thought about how that would be viewed.

I know this is viewed as a "right wing conspiracy theory" to most here but it really does seem to me that the media is playing a part dividing the races.

Unfortunately I have to get some sleep so will have to finish this later.

Black people have been historically treated like **** because of their race and white people have not.

/end thread

I can understand how it seems to be a ridiculous question. It was just that as someone who doesn't feel that way I was curious about what it meant to people that did.

Seems logical, I can see where that would have an impact. I honestly didn't even think about the part about the post-racial America part. Looking back it is hard to believe I missed it. I always noticed the "we elected a black president " comments in response to claims of racism but never thought about how that would be viewed.

I know this is viewed as a "right wing conspiracy theory" to most here but it really does seem to me that the media is playing a part dividing the races.

Unfortunately I have to get some sleep so will have to finish this later.

sleep well ... media typically don't do well on this subject ... too superficial in their approach ... to understand racism in this country you have to understand institutional racism -- a form of racism that doesn't even require intent to discriminate ... take care ..

How big a chunk of the population do you really think that is?

In the run up to the 2008 election we had all kinds of people coming out of the woodwork calling Conservatives "racist". The election of Obama emboldened them. The rise of the Tea Party and their impact on the 2010 election pushed them even further. Racism has become the core of the left wing agenda and it's been insinuated into the health care debate, the gun debate, the abortion debate, the IRS scandal and even Benghazi.

The right wing in this country, generally speaking, couldn't care less about race. We are all about individualism....personal responsibility and individual accomplishment. We're about higher standards for EVERYBODY but not only will the left wing just let the issue go they inflame it at every opportunity. How they believe that we'll ever achieve equality when they keep on pushing an inequality agenda I will never know.

but who created the Them-us conditions that led to the mentality to begin with? and, yes, the oppressed group always has a strong "we" feeling ... it's a survival thing ... Jews have a very strong "we" feeling after centuries of persecution, even though they're much more accepted in our society than blacks ...
Its 2013, time to put it down and be part of US instead of US vs THEM.
Equality was fought for and gained, all that is going on now is reversing those gains.
And they can thank the race baiters that swear they are only trying to help.

How big a chunk of the population do you really think that is?

In the run up to the 2008 election we had all kinds of people coming out of the woodwork calling Conservatives "racist". The election of Obama emboldened them. The rise of the Tea Party and their impact on the 2010 election pushed them even further. Racism has become the core of the left wing agenda and it's been insinuated into the health care debate, the gun debate, the abortion debate, the IRS scandal and even Benghazi.

The right wing in this country, generally speaking, couldn't care less about race. We are all about individualism....personal responsibility and individual accomplishment. We're about higher standards for EVERYBODY but not only will the left wing just let the issue go they inflame it at every opportunity. How they believe that we'll ever achieve equality when they keep on pushing an inequality agenda I will never know.

LOL ... when you pull your head out of the ground, let me know ... yeah, white folks in this country, and especially cons, aren't at all concerned about the changing demographics in the country, are they? Voter suppression is not one response, is it? and guess what ... the median age for non-Hispanic whites is 42, Asians 34, blacks 32, and Latinos 28 ... What does that tell you?

Its 2013, time to put it down and be part of US instead of US vs THEM.
Equality was fought for and gained, all that is going on now is reversing those gains.
And they can thank the race baiters that swear they are only trying to help.

we all find ways to cope with things we don't like ... it seems you found yours ... good luck with it, but don't be surprised if people walk away from you shaking their heads ...

LOL ... when you pull your head out of the ground, let me know ... yeah, white folks in this country, and especially cons, aren't at all concerned about the changing demographics in the country, are they? Voter suppression is not one response, is it? and guess what ... the median age for non-Hispanic whites is 42, Asians 34, blacks 32, and Latinos 28 ... What does that tell you?

A majority of the "baby boomers" were white?

Edit: Do i get a cookie (not an internet one)?

Just because you see race in everything that happens in this country doesn't mean that the rest of us do.

Because they're playing a life game known as NIGYYSOAB:

Now I've got you, you son of a bitch!

Happens all the time.

Back
Top Bottom