• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A primer on Ad Hominem

Of course, it was YOUR off-topic post that I was responding to... How many other fallacies do you wish to import into the thread?

Substantively, if one doesn't understand what the topic is, it's best to refrain from posting, isn't it? Unless it is to inquire.
My comment that you replied to was ...
"Fetterman requested a TP because he has trouble understanding the spoken word.
Should someone be elected to the US Senate, H of R, or Presidency if he/she has trouble understanding spoken words?
"
That comment was relevant to the thread in that some might consider it to be an example of an ad hominem attack, which it obviously isn't, but identifying ad hominem remarks are the thread topic after all.
So ... now you can explain why bringing up DP posters as you did in response helps to identify ad hominem remarks ... i.e. the thread topic.
Or don't explain it. You're not obliged. Maybe you were just confused.

My comment that you replied to was ...
"Fetterman requested a TP because he has trouble understanding the spoken word.
Should someone be elected to the US Senate, H of R, or Presidency if he/she has trouble understanding spoken words?
"
That comment was relevant to the thread in that some might consider it to be an example of an ad hominem attack, which it obviously isn't, but identifying ad hominem remarks are the thread topic after all.
So ... now you can explain why bringing up DP posters as you did in response helps to identify ad hominem remarks ... i.e. the thread topic.
Or don't explain it. You're not obliged. Maybe you were just confused.
The thread is not about Fetterman, and I don't believe that is why you provided him as an example.

The thread is about the inability of DP posters to recognize/identify what an "ad hominem" attack is, in the context of DP discussions. So, of course, discussing DP posters is directly on point.

The thread is not about Fetterman, and I don't believe that is why you provided him as an example.

The thread is about the inability of DP posters to recognize/identify what an "ad hominem" attack is, in the context of DP discussions. So, of course, discussing DP posters is directly on point.
If you look you’d se that the original Fetterman comment was used as an example of what some might mistakenly think was an ad hominem attack.
My comment was on thread target

Guess you don’t know what you said.
So be it.
That's very poor logic, on your part.

But this thread was started about people misunderstanding a fallacy, so you should probably stick around and pick up a few things.

That's very poor logic, on your part.

But this thread was started about people misunderstanding a fallacy, so you should probably stick around and pick up a few things.
Physician, heal thyself.

Still seeing this error quite often.

Back
Top Bottom