• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A potential solution to the evolution/creationism debate.

true the theory only works for christianity,in that sense i totaly agree with you. how vain to think what small conclusions we have made about the universe can disclaim something as huge as our creations. the human mind can rarely(if ever)understand something beyond its own reality.
however christianity is only a small part of humanity. every culture,every era has their own interpretation of creation, existance. religon is a connection to your existance. the one that brings you closest to understanding and innerpeace(cheesy) is the one you should follow. once you understand there are different paths to take on the journey to god you are that much closer.

i just thought of something else. if humans ever discovered the truth of what the univere is, don't you think we would just find some way to exploit it? maybe our inability to comprehend is gods way of protecting it

lori palmer said:
i just thought of something else. if humans ever discovered the truth of what the univere is, don't you think we would just find some way to exploit it? maybe our inability to comprehend is gods way of protecting it
Well, how would we be able to harm the universe? Science is great stuff, and the more we learn, the better we understand our surroundings. I am all for knowledge.

knowledge is fine, its just how most people are.they see something of beauty and either want it for themselves, want to make money off of it, or will just make a mess out of it in general by the consumption it needs to survive. not to mention how humans need to make everything easier for themselves at the expense of everything in their path. im not saying we have the means to do it right now. but we also dont know that much about the universe.(from a total perspective)total destruction would take some time,i think.

Nez Dragon said:
I think I have a solution. Please look at the whole thing with an open mind, then look at what I talk about and think about it. Then make your decisions free of bias. It makes things easier for all of us.

In Genesis, God made the Earth in 6 days (resting on the seventh). This apparently conflicts with science, which states that Earth was created 4.2 billion years ago, life started 2 billion years later, yadda yadda yadda.

My solution is this: One of God's days just might not be the same as one of ours. Therefore, it is possible to argue that God created the Earth over a large period of time. Evolution could still have taken place, guided by God.

What I'm saying, for those who don't get it, is that creation didn't necessarily happen in a mere 168 hours, but rather happened over the course of natural history. It does not say that creation was accomplished in 7 of our days, which leads me to believe that one of God's days is far longer than ours.

Evolution could have taken place as well. As He changed the earth, God would have made modifications to the plants and animals inhabiting there, i.e. evolution.

I would like to hear any comments on this. I don't see why it can't work!

From a theological standpoint, unless one takes a very literal interpretation of Genesis, like the fundamentalist do, there is no contradiction between accepting the theory of evolution and believing in God.

Science cannot prove nor disprove the existence of God. However, for someone who does believe in God, science could just be viewed as the explanation of how God created us. For example, if God is all knowing, and knows everything that has ever happened and everything that ever will happen, then God knew that the first single celled organisms would one day evolve into us and everything around us.

either way, its all great, think whatever u want. Science can coexist with one's belief in God. But thats a subject of philosophy, not science. Creationism has no place in the science class.

nkgupta80 said:
either way, its all great, think whatever u want. Science can coexist with one's belief in God. But thats a subject of philosophy, not science. Creationism has no place in the science class.

Exactly right.

Nez Dragon said:
I think I have a solution. Please look at the whole thing with an open mind, then look at what I talk about and think about it. Then make your decisions free of bias. It makes things easier for all of us.

In Genesis, God made the Earth in 6 days (resting on the seventh). This apparently conflicts with science, which states that Earth was created 4.2 billion years ago, life started 2 billion years later, yadda yadda yadda.

My solution is this: One of God's days just might not be the same as one of ours. Therefore, it is possible to argue that God created the Earth over a large period of time. Evolution could still have taken place, guided by God.

What I'm saying, for those who don't get it, is that creation didn't necessarily happen in a mere 168 hours, but rather happened over the course of natural history. It does not say that creation was accomplished in 7 of our days, which leads me to believe that one of God's days is far longer than ours.

Evolution could have taken place as well. As He changed the earth, God would have made modifications to the plants and animals inhabiting there, i.e. evolution.

I would like to hear any comments on this. I don't see why it can't work!

Okay you mentioned God. I have now tuned this thread out. PEOPLE GOD DID NOT CREATE ANYTHING.

I have a better solution. Let's just ignore the Creationists; that works and requires no scientific compromise.

wxcrazytwo said:
Okay you mentioned God. I have now tuned this thread out. PEOPLE GOD DID NOT CREATE ANYTHING.

It's a little strange that you would read a thread on creationism vs evolution and act surprised when someone mentions god. What exactly were you expecting?

SouthernDemocrat said:
For example, if God is all knowing, and knows everything that has ever happened and everything that ever will happen, then God knew that the first single celled organisms would one day evolve into us and everything around us.

God created Hitler because he hated Anne Frank's whining.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
God created Hitler because he hated Anne Frank's whining.

Okay, completely off topic, and sure as hell gonna get me flamed, but Anne Frank was a whiny, arrogant teenager. Yes what happened to her was evil, but god, I had to force myself through her diary.

Kelzie said:
Okay, completely off topic, and sure as hell gonna get me flamed, but Anne Frank was a whiny, arrogant teenager. Yes what happened to her was evil, but god, I had to force myself through her diary.

Not completely off topic. Clearly hiding in an attic while enemies are about is not a viable long term survival strategy. Her family's genes were removed from the pool.

except genes would probably not have had an effect on the decision... and that was just a dumb statement.

nkgupta80 said:
except genes would probably not have had an effect on the decision... and that was just a dumb statement.

Twin studies show that many behaviors are related to genetics.

Are you simply outraged that I made rude comments about a cultural icon?

-Demosthenes- said:
I dare you to disprove that this doens't exist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

If you cannot disprove it then it must be true eh?

My God, what have I started!!!!

I give a good point, and someone has to bring up a point started by some random college student!

Pretty damn hilarious. Now, why are we all off subject? I must endeavor to meander through the ten pages of stuff that I started when I get home...

Twin studies show that many behaviors are related to genetics.

Are you simply outraged that I made rude comments about a cultural icon?

no i thought ur comment on that genes were the reason they made such a complex decision was stupid. OUr behaviours are also largely dependent on external stimuli, a looot more so than our internal genes.

nkgupta80 said:
no i thought ur comment on that genes were the reason they made such a complex decision was stupid. OUr behaviours are also largely dependent on external stimuli, a looot more so than our internal genes.

Regardless, the decision to hide killed them. Their genes have been erased. Since human societies evolve far faster than our physical form, it is hoped that the lesson of that stupid decision will remain to shape our society.

But I was simply being my normal callous self seeking a target to outrage, and I found one.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Regardless, the decision to hide killed them. Their genes have been erased. Since human societies evolve far faster than our physical form, it is hoped that the lesson of that stupid decision will remain to shape our society.

But I was simply being my normal callous self seeking a target to outrage, and I found one.

i wasn't outraged... i can find a statment dumb, and not necessarily be outraged..

you using anna frank as an example really didn't effect me, I just found your statement on genes kinda stupid, thats all.

I remember the possability of "God Days" in Catholic school....many many years ago. As then, there is no way to give credence to such a thing, and so it is still a matter for Philosophy. As to the question about proving God does not exist, this is also beyond proving, until the day this entity appears before science.

The pasta monster is an excellent example (though it was ignored), of what you ask....and in fact defines a valid point. One cannot prove that anything is false, if there is no Data to see.

tecoyah said:
I remember the possability of "God Days" in Catholic school....many many years ago. As then, there is no way to give credence to such a thing, and so it is still a matter for Philosophy. As to the question about proving God does not exist, this is also beyond proving, until the day this entity appears before science.

The pasta monster is an excellent example (though it was ignored), of what you ask....and in fact defines a valid point. One cannot prove that anything is false, if there is no Data to see.

Well, you see, it's like this...a person making an assertion that something exists can reasonably expect to asked for proof. A person wants to operate the government as he thinks "god" wants it done, should first prove that "god" exists before forcing everyone to say that it does.

A person that denies the existence of this "god" cannot prove his case. That's because it's logically impossible to proof a negative. The people that disagree with him carry the burden of proof to refute him. Their failure to prove the non-believer is wrong is in itself evidence that their position contains serious flaws.

It is senssible to not believe something exists when no evidence showing it's existence can be presented. It's prudent to refuse to let your actions be guided by people that rely on this apparition with proving it's there.

What words can you think of to describe people who believe something exists that cannot be shown to the skeptical but honest observer?

Re: A potential solution to the creationism/evolution debate.

vergiss said:
If you believe in a God, then yes - it could certainly work. However, die-hard atheists will never agree with such a suggestion. ;)

that is because religion answers all the why questions,and science answers all the how questions.
What is needed is a belief system that answers both why and how questions

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
What words can you think of to describe people who believe something exists that cannot be shown to the skeptical but honest observer?

While I am well aware of the word "Faith" and what it means (Catholic school).....there is another word that fits this description nicely:

psy·cho·sis (s-kss)
n. pl. psy·cho·ses (-sz)

A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning

No...I do not consider this a valid explanation of those who believe in God...Just Sayin'

Re: A potential solution to the creationism/evolution debate.

vergiss said:
If you believe in a God, then yes - it could certainly work. However, die-hard atheists will never agree with such a suggestion. ;)

Unfortunately neither would "die-hard" creationists

Back
Top Bottom