• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A police officer and 2 employees were killed in Chicago hospital shooting that left gunman dead

Darn right

Why next they will require licensing and registration of vehicles in order to drive. Then they will restrict what types of vehicles are allowed to be used "for safety".

Gun buying isn't licensed? Maybe you're concerned with those who use guns without proper safety classes? Why are you concerned with the NRA if you're concerned with those who use guns without proper safety classes?

You do realize that's a dumb thing to say when the auto industry, owners and drivers are HEAVILY regulated right? Are you suggesting firearms and owners of those firearms be subject to the same extreme regulation that autos and licenses are?

Do you realize it's dumb to be concerned with gun fatalities and not auto and pool fatalities since autos and pools kill more Americans, individually, each year than guns? Me thinks you aren't concerned with the safety of Americans...

Straw Man....

How is it a strawman? Auto accidents kill more Americans each year than guns. Pool accidents, too. Why aren't you posting every time there's a fatality by car or pool accident like you are with a gun fatality? I see. You only care about gun deaths. You don't really care about safety for Americans.

Last edited:
I was hoping to encounter a whataboutism defense. An example of a whataboutism defense would be chastising Trump's behavior in White House press briefings but not Acosta's.
Or the KKK but not Farrakhan (or ANTIFA).

I guess bringing up the whataboutism defense in response to auto and pool accidents is the 'I don't care about the safety of Americans response, just attempting to affect the use of guns in America response'.

Gun buying isn't licensed? Maybe you're concerned with those who use guns without proper safety classes? Why are you concerned with the NRA if you're concerned with those who use guns without proper safety classes?

Did I say anything about the NRA?

And if I recall correctly one can buy a lot of different guns, in various legal ways with a license depending on location in the US

Did I say anything about the NRA?

And if I recall correctly one can buy a lot of different guns, in various legal ways with a license depending on location in the US
Darn right

Why next they will require licensing and registration of vehicles in order to drive. Then they will restrict what types of vehicles are allowed to be used "for safety".
This.

How is it a strawman? Auto accidents kill more Americans each year than guns. Pool accidents, too. Why aren't you posting every time there's a fatality by car or pool accident like you are with a gun fatality? I see. You only care about gun deaths. You don't really care about safety for Americans.

Because the topic is gun deaths and not car deaths... when you switch topics that is the logical fallacy and the very definition of a Straw Man.

I was hoping to encounter a whataboutism defense. An example of a whataboutism defense would be chastising Trump's behavior in White House press briefings but not Acosta's.
Or the KKK but not Farrakhan (or ANTIFA).

I guess bringing up the whataboutism defense in response to auto and pool accidents is the 'I don't care about the safety of Americans response, just attempting to affect the use of guns in America response'.

whataboutism is what you did. Me... gun deaths... you... What about car deaths.

Do you see anything about the BE A in that post?

I see your concern about safety when using firearms? Maybe I was wrong, you don't have a concern about safety using firearms? You know, the NRA (what is BE A?) preaches safety when using firearms, teaches classes on safety using firearms.

whataboutism is what you did. Me... gun deaths... you... What about car deaths.

No. Pointing out the same thing is occurring in another instance is whataboutism. When you say you hate the KKK, for example, my response using whataboutism is: Why do you condone Farrakhan or ANTIFA when both those are racist?
Possibly because Farrakhan isn't white but is racist? Possibly because ANTIFA is white but is racist against whites who love their culture? Does that make it an apples to oranges comparison, hum?

When you mention gun deaths and I mention pool deaths and auto deaths are far greater, individually, than gun deaths for Americans, I'm pointing out I'm for safety for Americans and you aren't but you have an ideology you're attempting to foist on everyone else. My statement is an apples to oranges statement: I'm for safety for Americans and you aren't.

Last edited:
Because the topic is gun deaths and not car deaths... when you switch topics that is the logical fallacy and the very definition of a Straw Man.

My point is: Why are there ad nauseum threads and posts about gun violence when car deaths and pool deaths are more common, individually, in the US?
Why won't you start up a car death or pool death campaign by OPing or posting every time those happen, too?

No. Pointing out the same thing is occurring in another instance is whataboutism. When you say you hate the KKK, for example, my response using whataboutism is: Why do you condone Farrakhan or ANTIFA when both those are racist?
Possibly because Farrakhan isn't white but is racist? Possibly because ANTIFA is white but is racist against whites who love their culture? Does that make it an apples to oranges comparison, hum?

When you mention gun deaths and I mention pool deaths and auto deaths are far greater, individually, than gun deaths for Americans, I'm pointing out I'm for safety for Americans and you aren't but you have an ideology you're attempting to foist on everyone else. My statement is an apples to oranges statement:

I don't care if you want to call it whataboutism or a Straw Man... it is still a logical failure...

I'm for safety for Americans and you aren't.

That is just plain and stupid emotionalism...

My point is: Why are there ad nauseum threads and posts about gun violence when car deaths and pool deaths are more common, individually, in the US?

I have no idea... I rarely post in gun threads and I post in other death threads, statistically, about the same.

Why won't you start up a car death or pool death campaign by OPing or posting every time those happen, too?

I have never started a gun death thread so why would I start any death threads?

And I support safe pools, and fences around them, to stop little kids from drowning. I support safe driving speeds and seat belts and crumple zones and air bags to stop people from dying in cars as well... but if you insist on making another feeble and emotionally whiny accusation I probably won't bother responding with any seriousness...

I don't care if you want to call it whataboutism or a Straw Man... it is still a logical failure...

That is just plain and stupid emotionalism...

I have no idea... I rarely post in gun threads and I post in other death threads, statistically, about the same.

I have never started a gun death thread so why would I start any death threads?

And I support safe pools, and fences around them, to stop little kids from drowning. I support safe driving speeds and seat belts and crumple zones and air bags to stop people from dying in cars as well... but if you insist on making another feeble and emotionally whiny accusation I probably won't bother responding with any seriousness...
Gotcha. So, you'll participate, ad naseum, in gun death threads but won't participate in car death or pool death threads.

250,000+ medical "oops!" deaths in the USA per year. Of this? Silence.

I don't see anyone creating or participating in this type of thread or car deaths or pool deaths threads but the posting and OPing of gun death threads on DP is never-ending because eliminating gun usage is ideological to some.

Gotcha. So, you'll participate, ad naseum, in gun death threads .

Sigh...

but won't participate in car death or pool death threads

Point out a pool death thread because I had no idea that there were any...

Sigh...

Point out a pool death thread because I had no idea that there were any...

Why do you suppose there aren't any pool death threads even though pool deaths occur more often in the US than gun deaths? And why are gun death threads occurring ad naseum on DP?

Why do you suppose there aren't any pool death threads even though pool deaths occur more often in the US than gun deaths? And why are gun death threads occurring ad naseum on DP?

I haven't debated you much but I never noticed that your posts were this messy before...

So, the issue is messiness, now?

No... the issue is still GUN DEATHS, despite your attempt to divert the discussion to other forms of death... or to me.

Back
Top Bottom