• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Plea for Caution From Russia

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
By VLADIMIR V. PUTIN

Published: September 11, 2013

MOSCOW — RECENT events surrounding Syria have prompted me to speak directly to the American people and their political leaders. It is important to do so at a time of insufficient communication between our societies.

Relations between us have passed through different stages. We stood against each other during the cold war. But we were also allies once, and defeated the Nazis together. The universal international organization — the United Nations — was then established to prevent such devastation from ever happening again.

The United Nations’ founders understood that decisions affecting war and peace should happen only by consensus, and with America’s consent the veto by Security Council permanent members was enshrined in the United Nations Charter. The profound wisdom of this has underpinned the stability of international relations for decades.

No one wants the United Nations to suffer the fate of the League of Nations, which collapsed because it lacked real leverage. This is possible if influential countries bypass the United Nations and take military action without Security Council authorization.

The potential strike by the United States against Syria, despite strong opposition from many countries and major political and religious leaders, including the pope, will result in more innocent victims and escalation, potentially spreading the conflict far beyond Syria’s borders. A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilize the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance.

Syria is not witnessing a battle for democracy, but an armed conflict between government and opposition in a multireligious country. There are few champions of democracy in Syria. But there are more than enough Qaeda fighters and extremists of all stripes battling the government. The United States State Department has designated Al Nusra Front and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, fighting with the opposition, as terrorist organizations. This internal conflict, fueled by foreign weapons supplied to the opposition, is one of the bloodiest in the world.------

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/o...ution-from-russia-on-syria.html?src=twr&_r=3&

It has become very sad times when i and im willing to bet the majority of America have more belief, faith, trust, and in agreement with Putin President of Russia then i do our own president

Obama shown us and the word that he is an Amateur and has no business running a boy scout troop let alone a country. he is an embarrassment

what we have seen in the last week is the results of a community organizer facing off with a spy master and Obama had his ass handed to him on a silver platter. Obama has become Putins bitch

Oh yea, that is right, I forgot about Bush looking into Putin's eyes. From what I can tell it is very possible this entire scenerio was set up by the administration to get the chemical weapons away from the Assad regime without risking American lives. the threat of bombing Syria caused Putin to intervein. When is hte last time they helped us out? With the Nazi's according to Putin. The RW is sooo filled with Obama hate they cannot be happy no American lives will be lost or no American money will have to be dumped into Syria...unless, of course that is the cause of the RW discontent.

Oh yea, that is right, I forgot about Bush looking into Putin's eyes. From what I can tell it is very possible this entire scenerio was set up by the administration to get the chemical weapons away from the Assad regime without risking American lives. the threat of bombing Syria caused Putin to intervein. When is hte last time they helped us out? With the Nazi's according to Putin. The RW is sooo filled with Obama hate they cannot be happy no American lives will be lost or no American money will have to be dumped into Syria...unless, of course that is the cause of the RW discontent.

And if your far fetch theory is correct Obama gave up any creditability this nation had left with his bumbling, incompetent, clownish tactics. he sacrificed our role as leader of the free world. he has made America a third rate nation run by idiots

The RW is the clowns. Obama Adminsitration threatens to blow up Assads assets because of use of chemical weapons. Appearently Assad nor Putin want Syria airstrips and military assets blown up so he intervenes and gets assad to surrender his chemical weapons. God what a clown. Run by idiots? Really?
And if your far fetch theory is correct Obama gave up any creditability this nation had left with bumbling incompetent clownish tactics he sacrificed our role as leader of the free world he has made America a third rate nation run by idiots

Boy, Obama must really be a good manipulator than. Makes you wonder, if he is so talented in the art of manipulation to fool a former KGB agent, who is trained to not be fooled and how to fool others... maybe this is why Obama got elected to begin with. He's a con artist. He fooled the american people twice because of his great manipulation skills. So all the people who voted for Obama are complete idiots and dupes because he tricked yo' asses.

The veto renders the UN security council useless. The Syrian civil war is the the responsibility of Saudi Arabia, and now Russia.

Addionally, Putin is a KGB idiot. I'd throw stones, but then there's the NSA, which makes "The Lives Of Others" look low tech.

My vote : let's nation build in the US for a while.

The RW is the clowns. Obama Adminsitration threatens to blow up Assads assets because of use of chemical weapons. Appearently Assad nor Putin want Syria airstrips and military assets blown up so he intervenes and gets assad to surrender his chemical weapons. God what a clown. Run by idiots? Really?

so your saying it was a good thing that Obama took the role of being a bully and Putin the role of being the measured reasonable peace maker? this fiasco went along way on improving the perception the world had of America.

Who said fool?
Boy, Obama must really be a good manipulator than. Makes you wonder, if he is so talented in the art of manipulation to fool a former KGB agent, who is trained to not be fooled and how to fool others... maybe this is why Obama got elected to begin with. He's a con artist. He fooled the american people twice because of his great manipulation skills. So all the people who voted for Obama are complete idiots and dupes because he tricked yo' asses.

The 'narrative' is strong in this one...

Way to go media minions and spin doctors.

And if your far fetch theory is correct Obama gave up any creditability this nation had left with his bumbling, incompetent, clownish tactics. he sacrificed our role as leader of the free world. he has made America a third rate nation run by idiots

Whether Obama set this up or not (I think he probably didn't) ... We got rid of Assads chemical weapons ... without a war. How is that worse than doing it with a war? THe administration made an offer, Russia took it ... how is that bad?

Or is war the only answer ever?

The military industial complex needs more fuel.
Whether Obama set this up or not (I think he probably didn't) ... We got rid of Assads chemical weapons ... without a war. How is that worse than doing it with a war? THe administration made an offer, Russia took it ... how is that bad?

The military industial complex needs more fuel.

I want to know what conservatives would have wanted as a better outcome???

I'm no Obama apologist, but it's stupid to attack him on this.

They have to come up with something everyday to keep the RW blogoshpere base fired up and not thinking. I dont like Obama very much, but I really cant stand the stupid. Of course, if this works, it is an infinitly better outcome than killing people. That is what bothers them, they long ago quit being Americans, they are now Republicans.
I want to know what conservatives would have wanted as a better outcome???

I'm no Obama apologist, but it's stupid to attack him on this.

And why didn't Obama take the role of the peace maker and not the bully? why didn't he bring forth the suggestion for Assad to hand over control of his chemical weapons to the UN?
Kerry made that off the cuff sugestion about a week ago and the WH quickly said it was a gaff and it wasn't their position.
this fiasco that Obama orchestrated went along way on improving the perception the world has of America.

And why didn't Obama take the role of the peace maker and not the bully? why didn't he bring forth the suggestion for Assad to hand over control of his chemical weapons to the UN?
Kerry made that off the cuff sugestion about a week ago and the WH quickly said it was a gaff and it wasn't their position.
this fiasco that Obama orchestrated went along way on improving the perception the world has of America.

Would you have liked it if Obama took the role of "peace maker" with Assad? Would that have REALLY made the right wing go "you go Obama?" If Obama made a "suggestion" to Assad to hand over his chemical weapons would you have said "good on you Obama," (also why the hell would Assad have cared about a suggestion).

I'm guessing no, you'd attack him no matter what he did ... the fact remains this is the BEST outcome. Obama flexed, Assad folded.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/o...ution-from-russia-on-syria.html?src=twr&_r=3&

It has become very sad times when i and im willing to bet the majority of America have more belief, faith, trust, and in agreement with Putin President of Russia then i do our own president

Obama shown us and the word that he is an Amateur and has no business running a boy scout troop let alone a country. he is an embarrassment

what we have seen in the last week is the results of a community organizer facing off with a spy master and Obama had his ass handed to him on a silver platter. Obama has become Putins bitch

If Obama manages to get a deal to secure Syria's chemical weapons, under the supervision of a mutli-national group, without having to take any sort of military action whatsoever than it would easily be one of the greatest foreign policy victories in the last decade. Think back, when was the last time the threat of American action combined with diplomatic dealings resulted in a state willingly disarming itself of their WMDs? Not since the process of disarming Libya's WMD program was started under Clinton and finished under Bush.

Of course neither Obama, if this pans out, nor Clinton nor Bush deserve 100% of the credit, there were other factors and world leaders that help make their efforts work. For example Libya lost its major backer when the USSR fell and saw it could not longer stand against the west as it once had, neither Clinton nor Bush can take credit for that change in reality. Likewise if Obama can get Syria to disarm its weapons than of course we shouldn't forget that if it weren't for Putin's ability to push Syria that deal probably would not have happened. However, that doesn't mean that either is any less of a victory for the United States.

Of course as many have pointed out, many of Obama's critics will only focus on the fact that Obama after threatening to use force to achieve the endstate, the destruction of Syria's WMDs, never did and thus made America "lose face." Never mind the fact that if this deal works out we would achieve the exact same end state without a costly and deadly, certain for them and possibly for us, confrontation. And of course if Obama does authorize strikes it won't be to save America's face but rather his own.

But that kind of stupid logic is for people more concerned about politics and less concerned about actually accomplishing something. If you don't want to strike Syria than you should be backing this potential deal 100%, not working against it just for the sake of making Obama look bad because you'd be passing on a great opportunity to avoid a conflict which may not present itself for very long. DON'T LET YOUR POLITICS **** THIS UP!

Would you have liked it if Obama took the role of "peace maker" with Assad? Would that have REALLY made the right wing go "you go Obama?" If Obama made a "suggestion" to Assad to hand over his chemical weapons would you have said "good on you Obama," (also why the hell would Assad have cared about a suggestion).

I'm guessing no, you'd attack him no matter what he did ... the fact remains this is the BEST outcome. Obama flexed, Assad folded.

all Obama did with his military threats was confirm the perception the world has of America being the bully. that perception is the reason why we have terrorist attack us and all Obama did was confirm it. Obama did not make us safer he just gave the world more reason for us to be hated

all Obama did with his military threats was confirm the perception the world has of America being the bully. that perception is the reason why we have terrorist attack us and all Obama did was confirm it. Obama did not make us safer he just gave the world more reason for us to be hated

O Jesus the irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

You didn't answer my questions, what would Obama have had to have done for you to say "Good Job Obama."

If Obama manages to get a deal to secure Syria's chemical weapons, under the supervision of a mutli-national group, without having to take any sort of military action whatsoever than it would easily be one of the greatest foreign policy victories in the last decade. Think back, when was the last time the threat of American action combined with diplomatic dealings resulted in a state willingly disarming itself of their WMDs? Not since the process of disarming Libya's WMD program was started under Clinton and finished under Bush.

Of course neither Obama, if this pans out, nor Clinton nor Bush deserve 100% of the credit, there were other factors and world leaders that help make their efforts work. For example Libya lost its major backer when the USSR fell and saw it could not longer stand against the west as it once had, neither Clinton nor Bush can take credit for that change in reality. Likewise if Obama can get Syria to disarm its weapons than of course we shouldn't forget that if it weren't for Putin's ability to push Syria that deal probably would not have happened. However, that doesn't mean that either is any less of a victory for the United States.

Of course as many have pointed out, many of Obama's critics will only focus on the fact that Obama after threatening to use force to achieve the endstate, the destruction of Syria's WMDs, never did and thus made America "lose face." Never mind the fact that if this deal works out we would achieve the exact same end state without a costly and deadly, certain for them and possibly for us, confrontation. And of course if Obama does authorize strikes it won't be to save America's face but rather his own.

But that kind of stupid logic is for people more concerned about politics and less concerned about actually accomplishing something. If you don't want to strike Syria than you should be backing this potential deal 100%, not working against it just for the sake of making Obama look bad because you'd be passing on a great opportunity to avoid a conflict which may not present itself for very long. DON'T LET YOUR POLITICS **** THIS UP!

because foreign policy is about perception. who can you trust and who you cant who is bluffing and who is not who is the bully and who is the Peace makers
it isn't always about the end results but how you got there and Obama did nothing but confirm America are bullies more willing to use force then trying a peacefully resolution he did nothing but confirm the reason why we are hated and are attacked by terrorist

There's been no agreement for any of that. It's all speculation.

You didn't answer my questions, what would Obama have had to have done for you to say "Good Job Obama."

The answer to this question likely resembles that "reconditioning" scene from "A Clockwork Orange"

because foreign policy is about perception. who can you trust and who you cant who is bluffing and who is not who is the bully and who is the Peace makers
it isn't always about the end results but how you got there and Obama did nothing but confirm America are bullies more willing to use force then trying a peacefully resolution he did nothing but confirm the reason why we are hated and are attacked by terrorist

Seriously its all about perception? So like Iraq not having WMDs was OK because we were under the perception they had them? And if Assad actually gives up his WMDs, which I admit is a big if, than clearly he was of the opinion that the US was going to back up its threats with action and there is no loss of face.

Perspective is important but results are more important, I can't believe anyone would say that actually achieving something is less important than looking like we achieved something. Jesus Christ dude.

"After deep consideration and for the good of the country, I have elected to step down from my position as Commander in Chief effective immediately"

Seriously its all about perception? So like Iraq not having WMDs was OK because we were under the perception they had them? And if Assad actually gives up his WMDs, which I admit is a big if, than clearly he was of the opinion that the US was going to back up its threats with action and there is no loss of face.

Perspective is important but results are more important, I can't believe anyone would say that actually achieving something is less important than looking like we achieved something. Jesus Christ dude.

wasn't Obama the one who went on the world wide apology tour apologizing for America being bullies. And what has Obama become nothing but a bully

Back
Top Bottom