• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A People from the Land of Canaan; A History of the Jewish People.

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The term Jew is synonymous with the words Hebrew and Israelite though these words have two different meanings. In a wider historical context the term Hebrew is not descriptive of ones ethnicity but rather can be applied to any of the Nomadic Semitic peoples residing in the eastern region of the Mediterranean before 1300 BCE (Before the Common Era). In a narrower context of Jewish history the term Hebrew is descriptive of the peoples who in prehistory accepted Yahweh as their god, went on to reside in the land of Palestine, known then as Canaan, and in approximately the year 1020 BCE became united as a nation and a people under a single king. The term Israelite, in a historical context, refers to the Hebrew people from the time they became united as one nation in the land of Canaan to the time that kingdom was destroyed in 721 BCE by the Assyrian king Sargon the 2nd. In actuality the word Jew refers to the cultural descendents of both the Hebrews and the Israelites from the time they escaped their Babylonian captivity to today. The English word Jew comes directly from the Latin root word of Judaeus depicting those who reside in Judaea the Latin term for the Jewish State. One must be clear though in the realization that the term Jew does not refer to ones race but rather is a term depicting ones ethnicity in that the Jews share a common culture, religion, and language which they have managed to keep despite the fact they have not shared a common homeland since the Roman destruction of the city of Judaea in roughly 135 CE (Common Era) up until the year 1948. Although it would be impossible for one to fully depict nearly 4,000 years of Jewish history and tradition into only 3,000 words, the purpose of this term paper will be to attempt to disseminate an accurate portrayal of the Jewish people by focusing on specific key events throughout these interesting peoples past beginning with their prehistory traditions including the formation of the Jewish religion itself and leading up until the modern reemergence of a Jewish homeland including the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict and the road map to peace.
According to Jewish tradition and the book of Genesis which is found in both the Old Testament of the Christian Bible and in the Jewish Tanak, the Jewish people believe themselves to be the descendents of Abraham with whom god made his covenant. It is important to note that the Tanak is an acronym comprised of three separate compilations of books first of which is the Torah which includes the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, the second is the Nevv’im which is comprised of the works of the prophets, and third the Kethuvim which includes the books of Psalms, Proverbs, Joeb, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra-Nehemiah, and Chronicles. Furthermore; when these books were compiled and edited in an attempt to tell a continuous detailed story it must be noted that the scribes most assuredly included legends which they past off as true historical events, however, there is enough historical accuracy in these biblical accounts that they should not be discredited off hand. Furthermore, the myth of God’s covenant to Abraham can give one incredible incite into the cultural intricacies of not only the Jewish people but of the Christian and Muslim peoples as well. With that in mind this covenant which was made can be found in the following passages from the books of Genesis:
Now the Lord had said to Abram: “Get out of your country,
from your family, and from
your father’s house, to a land that I will show you.
I will make you a great nation; I will
bless you and make your name great; and you shall be
a blessing. I will bless those who
Bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all
The families of the earth
shall be blessed.” (Gen. 12:1-3)

Then the Lord appeared to Abram and said, “To your
descendants I will give this land.”
And there he built an altar to the Lord,
who had appeared to him. (Gen. 12:7)

And the Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from
him: “Lift your eyes now and
look from the place where you are-northward, southward,
eastward and westward; for
all the land which you see I give to you and your
descendents forever as the dust of the earth; so that if a man
could number the dust of the
earth, then your descendants also could be numbered.
Arise, walk in the land through
its length and its width, for I give it to you.” (Gen. 13:14)

“Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.” And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness. (Gen. 15:5-6)

Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years. And also the nation whom they serve I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions. Now as for you, you shall go to your fathers in peace; you shall be buried at a good old age. But in the fourth generation they shall return here, for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet complete.” (Gen. 15:13-16)

On the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying: “To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the River Euphrates—
the Kenites, the Kenezzites, the Kadmonites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaim,
the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.” (Gen. 15:18-20)

When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. And I will make My covenant
between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.” Then Abram fell on his face,
and God talked with him, saying: “As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you
shall be a father of many nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your
name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you
exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you.
And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you
in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants
after you. Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a
stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”
And God said to Abraham: “As for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your
descendants after you throughout their generations. This is My covenant which you
shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: Every male child
among you shall be circumcised; and you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your
foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between Me and you. He who is eight
days old among you shall be circumcised, every male child in your generations, he who
is born in your house or bought with money from any foreigner who is not your
descendant. He who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money must
be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. And
the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that
person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant.”
Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. (Gen. 17:1-15)

From Exodus towards a Road Map to Peace:

Simply put what these scriptures mean is that according to Jewish tradition God had made a promise to Abraham that he would bless his descendants and the land in which they inhabit. Interestingly enough all three of the major Mono-theistic religions can trace their lineage to Abraham although Christians and Jews differ with the Muslims as to whom that covenant was passed down to. The Christians and the Jews believe that the covenant was passed down to Isaac and that his descendents are Gods chosen people, while Muslims believe that Ishmael is Abrahams true heir and his descendents are Gods chosen people. According to Jewish tradition Abraham offered up his son Isaac to god but god showed Abraham mercy and let his son live. The rock which this sacrifice was performed on would become the sight of the first Jewish temple. Another important account which can be found in the Tanak and the Old Testament books of Genesis is that of the story of the sons of Isaac; the twin brothers Jacob and Esau. In this story Esau is Isaac’s favored son and thus Isaac wants to pass down to him the covenant of god, however, Jacob bribes Esau into giving up his birthright and then Jacob proceeds to trick his father Isaac into

Last edited:
blessing him rather than Esau by dressing in Esau’s clothes, thus Jacob rather than Esau becomes the heir to the covenant of god. It is Jacob who will give birth to twelve sons who will in turn have families of their own which will form the twelve tribes of Israel. These tribes consisted of the descendents of the Jacobs 12 sons: Asher, Benjamin, Dan, Gad, Issachar, Joseph, Judah, Levi, Naphtali, Reuben, Simeon, and Zebulon (Kamm 1-24).
Between the years 1694 and 1600 BCE it is believed that some of the members of one of the 12 tribes of Canaan, traditionally thought to be of the Joseph group, wandered into the land of Egypt which at the time was ruled by the mostly Semitic Hyksos kings who had conquered Egypt at that time. Under the protection of the Hyksos the tribe was allowed to prosper, however, following the overthrow of the Hyksos the Hebrews were persecuted and forced into bondage. Then the man who was to become the first of the Hebrew prophets led the tribes out of bondage and according to Jewish tradition he received the covenant with god thus making him the heir to Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham. Also according to Jewish myth there atop Mount Sinai Moses received the Ten Commandments which are a set of guiding principles which are hallmarks of the Jewish religion. During the exodus the tribes of Joseph would move towards the land of Canaan to reunite with the other twelve tribes and with them the tribe of Joseph would bring these guiding principles that can be found within the Ten Commandments. Though according to Jewish tradition Moses would not make it to the land of Canaan he would leave behind a successor by the name of Joshua who in turn would have his own successor Saul. This tribe of Joseph led by Joshua and later by Saul would come to conquer Canaan through intermarriage, treaties, and war and thus unite the tribes to form the nation of Israel which was to be led by a king (Orlinsky 25-50).
This King would be David who in Jewish tradition received the covenant of god from Saul and who is considered to be the founder of Israel. Under David’s reign the nation of Israel would defeat the Philistines and bring all countries surrounding the nation of Israel into subjugation through treaties and warfare. The successor of David and heir to gods covenant would be King Solomon. King Solomon would play an important roll and would embark upon large scale building programs and open up trade routes bringing together many areas throughout Africa, Arabia, Asia, and Asia Minor. However, although Solomon who was a shrewd politician who brought unity to his fathers internal administration, Solomon’s forced labor programs, high taxation, and oppression of his reign which was at odds with the Democratic ideals of the nomadic peoples under his reign led to unrest amongst the civil population. This civil unrest would ultimately lead to successful revolts in both the city of Edom in the South-east and Damascus in the North-west thereby making them independent from Israeli control. Following the death of Solomon things would only get worse for the nation of Israel led to the division of the kingdom into two separate entities Israel in the north and Judah, which was to become a secondary power, in the south. Israel according to tradition was inhabited by ten of the twelve tribes and Judah was inhabited by the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. Under the leadership of Omri the capital of Israel would become Samaria and a relative peace and stability would ensue. However under the leadership of Omri’s son Israel would become destabilized once again through internal conflict brought on by religious differences which came about due to his wife Jezebel attempting to influence Israel with her pagan beliefs of idolatry. This internal conflict and instability led to the Assyrian armies being able to conquer Israel during which time many of the people were killed or displaced. Thus the ten tribes of the north would become know as the lost tribes of Israel. Samaria would later be repopulated by immigrants from Mesopotamia who would adopt the Israelite religion and become a sect known as the Samaritans. The kingdom of Judah would pay tribute to Assyria but unlike Israel it would retain its independence for another 135 years (Soggin 231-250) The independence of Judah would end when the Babylonian Empire led by Nebuchadnezzar conquered the Judaean capital of Jerusalem and placed the Davidic prince Zedekiah into power (Thames and Hudson 69-92).
The Babylonians would also take many of the Judean nobles, military, and artisans back with them to Babylon. Two years later Zedekiah led a revolt against Babylon and Babylon’s army destroyed Judah and Jerusalem. The nation of Judah would not see a reemergence until the Persian Empire conquered Babylon in 539 BCE and set the Judeans residing there free to return to their homeland. The Judeans elected the high priest to be their leader and subsequently a theocracy emerged and it was during this time that the first five books of the Tanak known as the Torah or law were compiled and given the form which they hold today. In 331 BCE Macedonia became the dominant power and conquered Persia and Judah became a province of the empire of Alexander the Great. As members of this united empire the Jews were given free reign and many of them traveled to the newly created city of Alexandria in Egypt, not only did they travel to Alexandria but they spread throughout most of the known world this migration was so large that it would become known as the Greek term for the word dispersion Diaspora. Being far away from their homeland the Jews were forced to learn the language of the Greeks as well as many of their customs and the Greek Hellenism became very influential on the Jews of the Diaspora. The Pentateuch or the first five books of the Tanak also known as the Torah was translated into Greek sometime during the 3rd century BCE. Unfortunately after the death of Alexander the empire splintered and the Greek rulers of Asia Minor known as the Seleucids became a danger to Judaea and the first to invade was the King of Egypt Ptolemy I. As Judaea was on an important trade route it became a much contested region and eventually King Antiochus III of Syria conquered Egypt and made Judaea a province of his kingdom. The Seleucids then set upon a course of converting Judaea to Hellenism and eventually in 168 BCE King Antiochus IV proclaimed the Jewish worship of Yahweh to be illegal and replaced the alter in the Jewish temple with a statue of Zeus (Kamm 127-65).
This religious persecution led to the eventual revolt led by a Jewish high priest named Mattathias and the Jews again reclaimed their independence this time from Syria. The descendents of Mattathias would become known as the Maccabees or the Hasmonaean dynast which ruled over the freed independent Jewish state. During the last century BCE there came a civil war between Hyracanus II and his brother Aristobulus II. Hyracanus turned to the Roman Emperor Pompey for military aid. Pompey agreed and in return Judaea became a Roman client state. The Roman army entered Judaea in 62 BCE and in 47 BCE Judaea became directly controlled by Rome. In the last century of the Judaean state Christianity arose with the emergence of Jesus as the promised Messiah of the Jews, however the number of Hellenistic Jews who converted to Christianity far exceeded those of the Jews from Judaea. During the 1st Century CE there came yet another revolt this time led by a fanatical religious sect known as the Zealots against the Roman Governors. The revolt was defeated when Emperor Nero sent General Vespasian to crush Judaea Jerusalem was destroyed and the temple was again destroyed. For a generation or so Judaea remained relatively stable but then the Roman Emperor Hadrian ordered that Jerusalem should be rebuilt as a Pagan city and ordered a banning to circumcision. This prompted yet another revolt led by Simon Bar Kokhba and when this revolt was defeated the Emperor ordered that the even the name Judaea be totally abolished in place it would be called Syria-Palaestinia and Jerusalem became a Pagan city and it was ordered that any Jew entering its gate should be put to death. It was during these first six century’s of Jewish exile from Judaea teachers and Rabbis took the Jewish oral traditions and translated them into the Mishnah and the Gemara which together form the Talmud (Soggin 321-337).

The rise of Islam had no serious implications for the Jews living in Babylonia and in actuality the Muslims were quite tolerant of the Jews living in the conquered territories of Mesopotamia which had become the main cultural center for the Jews during the exile, however, certain restrictions were placed against the Jews; such as, they could not hold political office and they were forced to wear yellow arm bands under the Code of Omar these restrictions would later be used by the Christians to persecute Jews for centuries. The Caliphs in Baghdad, capital of Babylonia, did not force these restrictions upon the Jews and allowed them a nominal amount of independence and during this time together with the Greeks and Muslims this region became the cultural center of the known world while Europe was still in the Dark Ages (Islam). In Europe things were quite another matter altogether, the Jews who had been living in Spain since before the Rise of the Roman Empire, were constantly persecuted especially when the Visigoths converted to Christianity. This persecution ended after the Muslims had conquered Spain but after the Muslims were thrown out the persecution continued under the Spanish Inquisitions. In 1215 Pope Innocent III placed similar restrictions on the Jews as were found in the Codes of Omar and Jews were forced to live in ghettoes. In 1290 King Edward I of England expelled the Jews and France did the same in 1394. In 1492 Spain expelled the Jews permanently and the Portuguese followed suit seven years later. Many of the Jews fled to Eastern European countries; such as, Poland and Russia, and also to countries still controlled by the Muslims; such as, Turkey (MSN Encarta 5).
Under the French Revolution Napoleon emancipated the Jews and many of the persecutions in Western Europe ceased, in Eastern Europe the reverse happened and in places which were once tolerant of the Jews. This was mostly due to the discovery of a proven to be forged document known as the Protocol’s of the Elders of Zion which was forgery containing information on how the Jews supposedly planned to rule the world. Under this period of persecution many Jews were killed in state sponsored massacres known as pogroms. This persecution lasted throughout Eastern Europe and Russia until the Russian Czar was overthrown by the Bolshevik Communist led by Vladimir Lenin and who practiced the teachings of Karl Marx who although a convert to Protestantism was himself born a Jew who came from a long line of Rabbis. Due to the pogroms some two million Jews immigrated to the United States from Eastern Europe and by the time the U.S. put sanctions against immigration from Europe some 3 million Jews resided in America. After the Emancipation of Jews throughout Europe Jews began to once again speak and write in Hebrew and the Yiddish language (a mix between German and Hebrew) long spoken by Eastern European Jews became prevalent throughout much of Europe. This time in which Jewish culture had a profound resurgence would come to be known as the Haskala (Hebrew for enlightenment). The Haskala movement would lead to a re-found hope for a Jewish homeland in Palestinia. Unfortunately, however, during this time another movement would come to the forefront in Europe and this movement was known as anti-Semitism which based a hatred for the Jews on their race rather than their religion. During the false conviction on of Jewish army officer named Alfred Dreyfus. An Austrian writer named Theodore Herzl came to the conclusion that the only way to put a stop to this anti-Semitism was for a Jewish homeland of their own and this movement would come to be known as Zionism (MSN Encarta 6).
This Zionist movement became very popular between the inter-war period between 1917 and 1939 and many European Jews moved out of Europe and into Palestine during this time after the Balfour declaration by the British, however, when WW2 broke out the British, who had acquired Palestine from the Ottoman Empire after Turkeys defeat in WW1, made the immigration of Jews to Palestine illegal. The thought here was that the Jews were far less likely to take the side of an anti-Semitic Nazi Germany than were the Arab Muslims who now resided in Palestine and were angered by the large Jewish immigration into a Muslim land, however, after the true horrors of the holocaust were fully realized the immigration of Jews to Palestine was reestablished with the U.N. support of a partition plan in which Palestine would be divided into two zones one Muslim and the other Jewish leaving Jerusalem in the control of a U.N. sanctioned international body. Unfortunately, the Arabs reject this partition plan and on May 15, 1948 when the British mandate on Palestine ends the Israelis Jews declare their independence and announce their new state of Israel. Thus begins the Israeli war of if independence between Zionist Jews and the Palestinian Muslims backed by the neighboring Arab states of Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria. Against overwhelming odds out manned and outgunned a mere half million Israelis manage to repel the Arab states with populations numbering over 40 million. In 1949 an armistice is signed giving the Israelis control over 77% of Palestine and leaving the remaining 22% in Egyptian and Jordanian hands. Wars end brings about the displacement of 600,000 Jews and 600,000 Palestinians. The Jewish refugees are absorbed by the newly created state of Israel while the Palestinian refugees are rejected by their Arab neighbors who instead of integrating them into society place them into refugee camps with the hopes of one day using their numbers to create an army for a future war against Israel (Jewish Virtual Library ).
Even after the armistice is signed the Arab states still refuse to accept Israel’s right to exist. Soon after led by Gamal Abdul Nasser a group of Egyptian officers undertakes a military Coup de’ta against the Egyptian king Farouke. Under Nasser young Palestinians, soon to become known as Fedayeen, are recruited to spy and commit sabotage against Israel. In 1956 as part of a French and British coalition Israel fights a war against Egypt as a response to the Egyptian’s losing of the Suez canal and the Fedayeen terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians, as well as, eth Egyptian blockade of the Straights of Tiran (Israel’s only trade route to the Eastern half of the world). The war ends with the Suez canal still in Egyptian hands, however, the straights of Tiran had been reopened and the Israelis agree to pull out of the Sinai Peninsula in return for Israeli freedom of shipment (Palestinian Facts)
Upon False reports by the Soviets of an Israeli military build up on the Syrian border Egyptian troops move into the Sinai Peninsula and in 1967 fighting again erupts between Egyptian and Israeli forces as the result of a preemptive strike by the Israelis for the Egyptian’s again closing the Straights of Tiran. Nasser turns to the Soviet block for military support and the Soviets commit weapons to the Egyptian military hoping to show the benefits of Soviet Support in the Arab world and thus turns the Israeli conflict into an intricate part of the cold war. Following Israeli air strikes against Egyptian targets Israeli, ground troops then invade and capture both the Gaza Strip and the Sinai peninsula. After the shelling of Israeli targets by both Syria and Jordan Israel seizes the Golan Heights and the West Bank. At wars end approximately 300,000 more Palestinians find themselves as refugees. On October 1, 1970 Gamal Abdul Nasser of Egypt dies and is replaced by his successor Anwar Saddat and Saddat reestablishes communications between Egypt and the United States (Palestinian Facts).
In 1973 tensions between Egypt and Israel reach a boiling point and the Syrians and Egyptians launch a coordinated attack against Israel to regain territories lost during the war of 1967, however, the Israeli army repels the early attacks and with the subsequent Israeli counter attack that was to follow the Israeli forces manage to destroy the Syrian and encircle the Egyptians. The Israelis were now in a position to take the Syrian and Egyptian capitals of Damascus and Cairo. Only the threat of a Soviet military intervention would lead to a cease fire. On November 9, 1977 President Saddat makes an unprecedented speech to the Egyptian Parliament. In his speech he announces that he will speak with the Israelis directly and actually go to Israel itself to negotiate for peace. During the seven month long peace talks Israel agrees to withdraw from the Sinai Peninsula in exchange for Egypt’s recognition of the state of Israel.. The peace between the two nations would prove to be a lasting one, however, two years after the signing of

however, two years after the signing of the historic peace accord militant Muslim extremists angered at the new found Egyptian peace with Israel assassinate Anwar Saddat. (Jewish Virtual Library).
The year 1964 saw the formation of the Palestinian Liberation Organization, an organization who’s original intent was to bring about the destruction of the Israeli state. Under the leadership of Yasser Arafat who gained control of the P.L.O. along with several other guerrilla organizations, amass in Jordan with the intent of overthrowing the government of King Hussein and after the hijackers of 3 western airliners force the planes to land in Jordan, King Hussein finally decides that he’s had enough and on September 16, 1970 Jordan declares war on the P.L.O.. Soon after Syria joins the fray on the side of the Palestinians and they send tanks across the Jordanian border. With no other recourse King Hussein turns to the Americans for help but not wanting to risk a war with the Soviets the Americans decline to intervene. Instead of helping themselves the Americans ask Hussein if it was possible for the Israelis to intervene. Hussein was stuck between a rock and a hard place either he could accept help form a hated enemy or lose control over his entire country. In the end Hussein accepts the Israeli offers to intervene and the Israelis send jets over the Syrian tanks in Jordan. Without the Israelis even firing a shot the Syrian tanks turn back. Now Hussein still had to deal with the removal of the Palestinians from Jordan. And after a meeting in Cairo between the P.L.O., Arab delegates and King Hussein, Arafat agrees to leave the capital of Beirut where he would continue to strike at Israeli targets (Palestinian Facts ).
In 1974 a succession of Palestinian raids launched from Lebanon into Israel prompts the Israelis to shift their defensive strategy from the borders of Syria and Jordan to the border of Lebanon. In 1975 civil war breaks out in Lebanon between Christian militias and the Palestinian backed Lebanese Muslims. Desperate for allies in the Arab world, along with their wishes to remove Palestinian terrorist elements out of Lebanon, Israel decides to back the Christians against the Palestinian and Lebanese Muslims. Soon after the Israelis invade Lebanon but for diplomatic reasons are unable to conquer the capital of Beirut, however, under the military leadership of Ariele Sharone the Israelis encircle the city to root out the Palestinian terrorists based there. After Israeli forces lay siege to the city for nine weeks even Lebanese Muslims demand the withdraw of the Palestinian forces from Beirut. And in 1982 the P.L.O. withdraws from Lebanon, however, soon after Bashir Jamal, Israel’s ally and the Lebanese presidential elect, is assassinated and the Christian militia men seek revenge in the Palestinian camps of Sabra and Shatilla and on September 16, 1982 they slaughter many innocent men, women, and children while Israeli soldiers stand by and do nothing. This action or lack there of would lay the foundation for a deep seeded hatred of Ariel Sharone throughout the Arab world (Msn Encarta).
In 1985 Israel seeks to extend the peace they had made with Egypt to Jordan and the Palestinians. However, after peace negotiations break down discouraged Palestinians living in the Israeli occupied territories begin the First Entifada (Arabic for uprising). These violent demonstrations along with P.L.O. terrorist operations sends Israel into a state of chaos and Israeli troops are sent to squash the rebellion. After the Entifada the P.L.O. realizes that street rioting nor acts of terrorism would help their agenda and on December 13, 1988 the P.L.O. renounces terrorism and recognizes Israel’s right to exist. However, Israeli Prime Minister Perez still remained skeptical of Palestinian intentions and the Israeli doubts of Arrafat’s sincerity turn out to be well founded when in 1990 after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait Saddam Hussein pledges to destroy Israel and receives support from none other than the leader of the P.L.O. Yasser Arafat. After the U.N. victory in the Gulf War president Bush brings the Arabs and the Israelis back to the peace table as part of an international peace talk and on October 13, 1991 for the first time Palestinians were invited to the negotiations in Madrid. The peace negotiations between the Syrians and the Israelis quickly break down, however, the talks between Israel, the Jordanians, and the Palestinians prove to be a great success and lead to a series of Israeli and Palestinian peace negotiations in Oslo Norway. These negotiations led to the signing of the 1993 Oslo peace accords by Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin and the P.L.O. leader Yasser Arafat. Things seemed to be going well for the peace process, the Israelis had pulled out of the West Bank and the Gaza strip and the Jordanians recognized Israel’s right to exist, however, in 1995 the peace talks came to a screeching halt after the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin by an Israeli extremist. And the 2000 camp David summit between the new Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak and Yasser Arafat failed to reach any type of agreement what so ever. On September 28, 2000 a second Entifada known as the Al Aqsa Entifada breaks out with more suicide bombings initiated by militant Muslim groups then ever before. This led to the Israeli military under the leadership of the new hard line prime minister Ariele Sharone reoccupying the West, Bank, imposing strict military law, and sealing off the Gaza strip. More recently, however, with the death of Yasser Arafat and the rise of his successor Mahmoud Abbas the Israelis and Palestinians have come back to the peace table. Prompted by George W. Bush they have initiated a plan for a two state solution similar to the U.N. partition plan of 1948. Suicide bombings have steadily declined and it once again appears that the peace plan is working. One of the most recent events is that of the U.S. secretary of State Condoleeza Rice brokering a deal for the Palestinians to retain control over their own borders for the first time since 1948 (Bush, WhiteHouse.gov)
The Jewish history is most literally biblical in its length. Their culture and society has stretched before that of written history. They have lost their country and land time and time again and yet have somehow always managed to retain their heritage, culture, and religion. Maybe now with the two state solution that has been proposed the state of Israel can finally have a lasting peace.

Works Cited
Anti-Defamation League. 1999. 14, Nov. 2005 http://www.adl.org/ISRAEL/Record/48war.asp
Bush, George. Presidential Discussion on a Road Map for Peace in the Middle East. 2003. 15 Nov. 2005. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030314-4.html
Jewish Virtual Library The American-Israeli Cooperation Enterprise 2005. 10 Nov. 2005 http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/1956toc.html
Kamm, Anthony. The Israelites An introduction. London: New Fetter Lane 1999
Orlinsky, Harry. Ancient Israel. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press 1960
“Palestinian Facts.” Israel 1967 -1991 Yom Kippur War © 2005 palestinefacts.org. All rights reserved worldwide. http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_ykwar_course.php
"Six-Day War," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2005
http://encarta.msn.com © 1997-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
© 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Soggin, Alberto A History of Ancient Israel. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Westminster Press 1984
Thames and Hudson. The Israelites. London: Thames and Hudson LTD, 1998

Bring it mother ****ers no one knows the M.E. like me cept maybe Gysty!
Oh. by the by those are my words I know this **** it's not something I took down off an internet sight in one night this is my Term Paper . . . enjoy and be enlightened.

Last edited:
I believe in Israel's right to exists.

Thing is Israel could have moved back to the 1967 borders, after the subsequent Arab-Israel wars. Why didn't they?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Oh. by the by those are my words I know this **** it's not something I took down off an internet sight in one night this is my Term Paper . . . enjoy and be enlightened.

You had better watch it. You may upset gunny's sidekick SKILMATIC :lol:

You've managed to cover a huge span of Jewish history with brevity. That's quite an accomplishment... very nice job Trajan :applaud

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Great and interesting read,and by your own account we have a Jewish state from 1020bce to 721bce and then again from 539-331.We'll generously allow you another 300 years for periods of control in between these invasions.So your own history lesson shows that the majority of the time it has been in ARAB control.

History will show the seige of Gaza on the same page with the WARSAW GHETTO.But now the bad guys have the star of david instead of the swastika.It is really quite comparable, as a "refugee" camp consists of people forced from thier homes into a ghetto to be held as prisoners.I seem to remember too ,that many Jews refused to take this lying down and ran off into the forest to fight and insurgent war against the nazis.I respect these people in the same way that I respect those Palestinians that fight to be free in thier homeland.Somehow the Israelis don't see it this way,in thier warped view"god promised them the land of isael";though somehow he also saw fit to give them full control there for brief intermittent periods of time,scattered through history.

History will do no such thing.

Every Palestinian Man, Woman, And Child is a Terrorist who needs to be shot! Now--Israel Needs To Deal With The Situation! They Need A Soultion That's Final!

Anyway, anybody can post the history of the 2 tribes that were not conquered by the assyrians. The history of the other 10 that need to be gathered to make Israel complete is far more interesting.

"Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand."

Joby said:

Every Palestinian Man, Woman, And Child is a Terrorist who needs to be shot! Now--Israel Needs To Deal With The Situation! They Need A Soultion That's Final!

Anyway, anybody can post the history of the 2 tribes that were not conquered by the assyrians. The history of the other 10 that need to be gathered to make Israel complete is far more interesting.

"Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand."
This is so mature of you."Every Palestinian a terrorist",and every Jew a saint too right?This rabid Kahanist logic will DEFINITELY go on the same page as national socialism in the history books.This is nursery logic,hardly worth responding to I'm glad that bastard KAHANE got killed-he was SCUM.

Joby said:

"A solution that's final"-you mean the "final solution" that your mentor Hitler spoke of.I'm glad that rabid Zionist are keeping the flames of Nazism alive in Israel.Funny how the holocaust is fine with you as long as it's Palestinians and not Jews being fed into the ovens.This is the Hypocrisy that will condemn you to never having peace.

bizznych said:
This is so mature of you."Every Palestinian a terrorist",and every Jew a saint too right?This rabid Kahanist logic will DEFINITELY go on the same page as national socialism in the history books.This is nursery logic,hardly worth responding to I'm glad that bastard KAHANE got killed-he was SCUM.

Gee and it so retarded to see a deference in the pals and lebs.
Hmm they both support and allow terrorist groups live among them
but yet they are innocent? Get a clue..

bizznych said:
"A solution that's final"-you mean the "final solution" that your mentor Hitler spoke of.I'm glad that rabid Zionist are keeping the flames of Nazism alive in Israel.Funny how the holocaust is fine with you as long as it's Palestinians and not Jews being fed into the ovens.This is the Hypocrisy that will condemn you to never having peace.

Yes, you noted my connection.

That's were a 3rd graders sense of sarcasm should have crept in...

Cna`an=The former name of the land of Israel. The land of Cna`an included many small different nations who settle down in their own cities. Each city had her own king. Abraham and his family also settle down their before they went to Egypt to survive the famish in Cna`an. 400 years later they return to Cna`an to establish an Israeli kingdom cause God promised that land to be the land of the children of Israel.

Hebrew/Hebrews=People who speak the Hebrew language.

Israelis=People who belong to the family of Israel which is the new name that God gave to Jacob who was the father of his 12 sons whom later became the 12 tribes of Israel. Tribes of people whom obligated to the commandments that written in the Torah they got in mount Horeb.

Jews=Jews are Israelis and Israelis are Jews. This is the same thing. Jews are people from the Judah tribe which was the main tribe amongst the 12 tribes of Israel. The nowdays Israelis are the people of these 3 tribes: Judah, Levi and Benjamin but because Judah was the main tribe and because we don't know whos Jew belong to which tribe (except Levi) then we use the term: Jews, to describe all the children of Israel.

10 lost tribes=Are the tribes who been exiled by the Assyrians about 2500 years ago and assimilated with the non Jews/Israelis and lost their essence and their connection to the Jewish/Israeli family.

Palestine=The name that the Romans gave to the land of Israel when they conquered it 2000 years ago. Wikipedia explain (Israel) :
It was during this time that the Romans gave the name Syria Palaestina to the geographic area, in an attempt to erase Jewish ties to the land. The Mishnah and Jerusalem Talmud, two of Judaism's most important religious texts, were composed in the region during this period. The Muslims conquered the land from the Byzantine Empire in 638 CE. The area was ruled by various Muslim states (interrupted by the rule of the Crusaders) before becoming part of the Ottoman Empire in 1517.

The origin of that name came from the term: Filistins who were tribes (not Arabs) who came from Crite and settled down in the Gaza strip in 5 cities aka "5 cities of the Filistins"=Ashkelon, Ashdod, Ekron, Gaza and Gat. The Filistins are not exist as a nation nowdays.

There were other Jewish dynasties and kingdoms besides those in what is now Israel, Jordan, et al, IIRC. There was a Jewish dynasty in what is now Yemen, that predated the Roman era, or fell during it, I believe, and some elsewhere that I can't recall offhand.

Back
Top Bottom