• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Path to Republican Victory in the Shutdown?

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The author outlines a bold strategy that surprisingly shows how Republicans could turn the tables on the Democrats.

1. The Seinfeld shutdown

Washington Post ‎- 21 hours ago
    The GOP should transform its impasse over nothing into a battle over spending.

That's not a bad idea.

That's not a bad idea.

It's a ridiculous idea, if you take the writer at face value. It means taking an idea that virtually everyone who isn't a numbnut thinks is stupid -the sequester- and extending it further.

Not only that, but the REASON to do this is even more ridiculous....Theissen argues that at least the GOP will get something out of the shutdown, since they don't really have any reason to do it now.

That's goofy stuff in a minor business negotiation. Sheer insanity when dealing with shutting down the entire US government....apparently out of spite, according to Theissen.

It's a ridiculous idea, if you take the writer at face value. It means taking an idea that virtually everyone who isn't a numbnut thinks is stupid -the sequester- and extending it further.

Not only that, but the REASON to do this is even more ridiculous....Theissen argues that at least the GOP will get something out of the shutdown, since they don't really have any reason to do it now.

That's goofy stuff in a minor business negotiation. Sheer insanity when dealing with shutting down the entire US government....apparently out of spite, according to Theissen.

If the sequester is such a bad idea then why did BHO propose it?:roll:

If the sequester is such a bad idea then why did BHO propose it?:roll:

Because he actually thought the GOP was rational and would have sat down and made a rational budget rather than driving the government over the cliff. Boy was he mistaken.

Because he actually thought the GOP was rational and would have sat down and made a rational budget rather than driving the government over the cliff. Boy was he mistaken.

Don't bluff if you can't afford to be called.:cool:

I doubt that it's going to be any kind of victory for the GOP, since most of America blames them for what's happening.

Not that it matters. This kind of partisan crap was bound to derail the government eventually, if not now then when the next President is in power.

The divisions in congress are well on their way to spelling the end of our polity as we know it.

I doubt that it's going to be any kind of victory for the GOP, since most of America blames them for what's happening.

Not that it matters. This kind of partisan crap was bound to derail the government eventually, if not now then when the next President is in power.

The divisions in congress are well on their way to spelling the end of our polity as we know it.

I don't think the Democrats are being partisan at all. They are just refusing to give into a tactics by the GOP that will make governance impossible if they succeed.

Basically there is only one problem: the tea party freaks in the House. They have to be removed from office. That's the responsibility of voters. Democracy is for adults and it the American people keep voting knownothings and freaks like King and Cruz into office, they will continue to see their economy and prosperity decline. The problem isn't partisanship in Congress, but foolish voters that have bought into tea party knownothingism.

I don't think the Democrats are being partisan at all. They are just refusing to give into a tactics by the GOP that will make governance impossible if they succeed.

Basically there is only one problem: the tea party freaks in the House. They have to be removed from office. That's the responsibility of voters. Democracy is for adults and it the American people keep voting knownothings and freaks like King and Cruz into office, they will continue to see their economy and prosperity decline. The problem isn't partisanship in Congress, but foolish voters that have bought into tea party knownothingism.

Those "tea party freaks" were voted in by the People. What's happening in congress is just a reflection of what's happening to the general population.

I agree that the shutdown is the GOP's fault, but it's not like the Democrats are doing such a bang up job. Obama has done next to nothing to remedy all the crap that Bush put into place, and has even furthered some of those policies.

The Republocrats are one party at this point. The government shutdown is a nice distraction from reality that lets the partisan demagogues continue to delude themselves into thinking the problem is "over there" somewhere, but our polity is rotting an all this infighting is just a symptom. There used to be a time where our congress would debate intensively and fiercely but still respect one another. Now there is only hatred and demagoguery.

You know what, just forget it. There's no point in pointing out the futility of partisans anymore. They have taken over now. They are legion.

Those "tea party freaks" were voted in by the People. What's happening in congress is just a reflection of what's happening to the general population.

I agree that the shutdown is the GOP's fault, but it's not like the Democrats are doing such a bang up job. Obama has done next to nothing to remedy all the crap that Bush put into place, and has even furthered some of those policies.

The Republocrats are one party at this point. The government shutdown is a nice distraction from reality that lets the partisan demagogues continue to delude themselves into thinking the problem is "over there" somewhere, but our polity is rotting an all this infighting is just a symptom. There used to be a time where our congress would debate intensively and fiercely but still respect one another. Now there is only hatred and demagoguery.

You know what, just forget it. There's no point in pointing out the futility of partisans anymore. They have taken over now. They are legion.
How is the shutdown the Republicans fault?

They have offered spending bills and will continue to offer more, it is Reid and Obama that have acted like adolescents and will not negotiate at all, simply refusing. Obama will talk with Iran and Syria, criminal regimes that have assisted in killing fellow Americans and potentially killed, using chemwarfare, their own peoples... but will not deign to talk with his fellow Americans on something this important. Shameful.

And damn, for once the Republicans have shown some backbone standing up to all this government, as we all know, unsustainable spending. Somebody, before we all go over the Niagara here, has to be the adult in the room and point to the edge, note that, while its fun being neck deep, we are floating quickly towards the falls up ahead, apply the paddles, brake to a stop, put the damn government in reverse. Either that or go over the falls in this barrel of crap we have trapped ourselves into.

Hell, we have our posterity to think of, that is as solemn an obligation as it was to those who have handed down to us this great place. Why squander it being irresponsible? And moreover, why blame the ones trying to do something about it, why not at least have the intellectual honesty to say the Democrats are flat out WRONG and seem bent on our economic, and one would have to assume soon thereafter, our physical destruction.

And good lord, all this pettiness from the Obama admin... shutting down parks, WW2 memorials and trying to chase off our WW2 vets who are mostly too old to ever come there again, canceling the Army Navy game... I mean, come on, what is that crap...never done in the 8 shut downs the Democrats had during the Reagan years... and cutting off the white house tours during the sequester, that was petty, too. We have what amounts to a big child who somehow became president. I could see the movie BIG remade using this scenario, a young 12 year old black boy dreaming he is president and waking up in the Oval Office... except this isn't anywhere near funny.

Stop this madness.

I don't think the Democrats hate the knownothing tea partiers. They're just preventing us from running our country. They need to be removed from office so we can start making progress again, like America always has after a paroxysm of rightwing knownothingism. I expect that to happen. The tea party will thrash around and damage millions of lives - that can't be helped now - but they're finished.

They have offered spending bills and will continue to offer more, it is Reid and Obama that have acted like adolescents and will not negotiate at all, simply refusing. Obama will talk with Iran and Syria, criminal regimes that have assisted in killing fellow Americans and potentially killed, using chemwarfare, their own peoples... but will not deign to talk with his fellow Americans on something this important. Shameful.

And damn, for once the Republicans have shown some backbone standing up to all this government, as we all know, unsustainable spending. Somebody, before we all go over the Niagara here, has to be the adult in the room and point to the edge, note that, while its fun being neck deep, we are floating quickly towards the falls up ahead, apply the paddles, brake to a stop, put the damn government in reverse. Either that or go over the falls in this barrel of crap we have trapped ourselves into.

Hell, we have our posterity to think of, that is as solemn an obligation as it was to those who have handed down to us this great place. Why squander it being irresponsible? And moreover, why blame the ones trying to do something about it, why not at least have the intellectual honesty to say the Democrats are flat out WRONG and seem bent on our economic, and one would have to assume soon thereafter, our physical destruction.

And good lord, all this pettiness from the Obama admin... shutting down parks, WW2 memorials and trying to chase off our WW2 vets who are mostly too old to ever come there again, canceling the Army Navy game... I mean, come on, what is that crap...never done in the 8 shut downs the Democrats had during the Reagan years... and cutting off the white house tours during the sequester, that was petty, too. We have what amounts to a big child who somehow became president. I could see the movie BIG remade using this scenario, a young 12 year old black boy dreaming he is president and waking up in the Oval Office... except this isn't anywhere near funny.

Stop this madness.

Yeah, let's negotiate! The Democrats should refuse to open the government unless the GOP agrees to a tax increase on the rich, repeal of Citizens United, and cutting the military to the bone.

See, it's easy to negotiate like that!

What a farce the GOP is.

Stop this madness.

Wow, there's a lot of just plain made-up stuff here.

its always the other guys fault.

No, I say go with it. Let's negotiate EVERYTHING! GOP wants to negotiate Obamacare delays. Fine. Let's negotiate tax hikes on the rich and repealing Citizens United.

Can't have it both way, tea partiers.

No, I say go with it. Let's negotiate EVERYTHING! GOP wants to negotiate Obamacare delays. Fine. Let's negotiate tax hikes on the rich and repealing Citizens United.

Can't have it both way, tea partiers.

fine you want to have them do that, I am game.....let them have at it.

Yeah, let's negotiate! The Democrats should refuse to open the government unless the GOP agrees to a tax increase on the rich, repeal of Citizens United, and cutting the military to the bone.

See, it's easy to negotiate like that!

What a farce the GOP is.
Lets do it, see which side the American people are really on with that nonsense you spout... you put your real plans like that up for America to see and you will never get anybody elected again.

Think Americans want to become Communists, you gotta be kidding me.

Wow, there's a lot of just plain made-up stuff here.
Nice non response. I have seen your other posts, mostly fluff, empty of anything but partisan rhetoric... why don't you try debate, that's what the site is about.

Yanno?

If not, please waste some other person's time. Thanks.

Lets do it, see which side the American people are really on with that nonsense you spout... you put your real plans like that up for America to see and you will never get anybody elected again.

Think Americans want to become Communists, you gotta be kidding me.

Actually the majority of American want a tax increase on the rich and the military cut and Citizens United repealed.

You can't even get your basic facts right.

But it's not about polls, it's about negotiations. Let's negotiate. No government funding until progressives get what they want. What's good for the goose . . .

Nice non response. I have seen your other posts, mostly fluff, empty of anything but partisan rhetoric... why don't you try debate, that's what the site is about.

Yanno?

If not, please waste some other person's time. Thanks.

If you don't like my posts, please feel free to report them. Or feel free to use the ignore feature. Have a nice day.

Regarding the previous post I was referring to (which, btw, was ALL partisan rhetoric), yes, there is a lot of made-up stuff. The WWII veterans were allowed access to the memorial. The Army-Navy game (which is in December) was NOT canceled; nor was the Air Force-Navy game, which was played this morning.

We'll find out how people really, really feel about this in 2014. It won't take much longer for this to be a real scar. Who will blame who? We already know the answer to that. How it will truly be perceived will be made very clear.

Interesting times:):(

If you don't like my posts, please feel free to report them. Or feel free to use the ignore feature. Have a nice day.

Regarding the previous post I was referring to (which, btw, was ALL partisan rhetoric), yes, there is a lot of made-up stuff. The WWII veterans were allowed access to the memorial. The Army-Navy game (which is in December) was NOT canceled; nor was the Air Force-Navy game, which was played this morning.
Jesus... they had to get past the silly barricades, which takes more effort to put up than liesurely patrolling the park, vets probably felt like they were against the Wehrmacht again... so give me a break...to be that ill-informed is, well, let’s just say I am embarrassed for you.

Veterans break past World War II Memorial barricade – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Vets Cross Barricades Despite Shutdown - YouTube

WWII veterans break down barricades at WWII memorial - YouTube

This was all the executive branch doing this, for lack of a better term, crap to try to make Americans feel the pain, just childish political gamesmanship that will come back to bite the donkeys in their donkey. We have had 17 shutdowns in contemporary history, none of this silliness went on before…should not be going on now. Prove me wrong. Above video shows you to be trying to lead us all astray, or yourself having been led astray…if so, should make you wonder a bit, eh?

Not a big sports fan here, but there were intercollegiate games canceled, and this was, indeed, threatened by the executive branch [Obama] and I guess Obama et al have seen the bad PR that they were trying to foist onto the Republicans suddenly blowing back in their own faces...
:hitsfan:

Your posts don't generally seem to have anything offensive to report, just void of substance mostly. That is a liberal trait, but some are even more empty than others.

Actually the majority of American want a tax increase on the rich and the military cut and Citizens United repealed.

You can't even get your basic facts right.

But it's not about polls, it's about negotiations. Let's negotiate. No government funding until progressives get what they want. What's good for the goose . . .
Random thought that just came to me....Ever wonder if some of those gazelles that they feed to lions and tigers might have been tranquillized beforehand... shot full of what...just a sleep inducer or... maybe is it a hallucinogenic, you think?

Now...

First, define rich.

With Obama having us in wars, escalating the ones that shouldn't be expanded, getting out of ones where we should have stayed, threatening more wars and pushing us into a sequester to cut the military even more, that would be silly if not suicidal... but being a make love not war lib, I can see where YOU might be coming from, but the American people? We like feeling safe, we like deterring war instead of letting the boob get us into more...We cannot afford to cut any more...even a boob like boobama understands that.

And get over Citizens United. It was the only sensible decision the court could make. If you want to complain about court decisions, go after Kelo or the outrageous tinkering the court did to allow this monstrosity of a stinker, Obamacare, to get through and go against the Constitution.

Never considered impeachment of a Chief Justice [ along with a few other nimrods on the top bench ] of the SC before, now I have.

I don't think the Democrats hate the knownothing tea partiers. They're just preventing us from running our country. They need to be removed from office so we can start making progress again, like America always has after a paroxysm of rightwing knownothingism. I expect that to happen. The tea party will thrash around and damage millions of lives - that can't be helped now - but they're finished.

Enough already. I'm done talking with you, and other polemicists. If you can't have a conversation without name calling and immature drama, then there's no point in discussing it further.

Back
Top Bottom