• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Part-time Keto Diet?

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Well, I love pasta, and Im addicted to pizza, but I do want to try out this keto thing if it helps keep me slim. Since ketosis can take place within an 18 hour period, I was thinking, why not do it for every other day and enjoy carbs in between. Anyone ever tried this?

It can take longer than 18 hours, depending on your own physiology and how disciplined you are. Get keto test strips and test yourself to see if ketosis has been achieved. If not go a couple of days in between pizzas.

Well, I love pasta, and Im addicted to pizza, but I do want to try out this keto thing if it helps keep me slim. Since ketosis can take place within an 18 hour period, I was thinking, why not do it for every other day and enjoy carbs in between. Anyone ever tried this?

This every other day thing is going to be really hard on your body and people have had success on having their cheat days be the weekend.

I do better with having at least half my plate being veggies and taking a thrice-weekly exercise class.

Reactions: PoS
Then you're doomed.
Not necessarily.

PangeaKeto_Menu-2_f88ac778-cfa3-4d29-8ed6-91489c514e0f.png

Pizza is a solved thing in the keto world.

What did she say?
She said the keto diet, something like the Atkins diet, tries to eliminate carbs. She said the body is programmed to thrive on carbs. Both diets are unhealthy. She says the best thing to lose weight is to reduce portion size. You can have carbs, pizza, ice cream, steak, whatever you want, but smaller portions more frequently are better than big meals.

Reactions: PoS
She said the keto diet, something like the Atkins diet, tries to eliminate carbs. She said the body is programmed to thrive on carbs. Both diets are unhealthy. She says the best thing to lose weight is to reduce portion size. You can have carbs, pizza, ice cream, steak, whatever you want, but smaller portions more frequently are better than big meals.
He'd be ok doing just every other day or going 2 - 1. The problem with keto diets, especially in the early days (Atkins) was that everyone, knowing they had to replace carbs with fats, ran out and started eating too much red meat or other unhealth fats.

Replacing carbs with healthy fats is the way to do it. On the non-carb days if he went for fish such as salmon he'd be on the right track.

Im not looking to go 100% keto anyway. I love freshly baked artisanal bread too much lol. I usually only eat one meal a day, so Im already practicing intermittent fasting. If I lower my carbs down to nothing every other day it should help keep me in shape.

On the days you want pizza, just eat the toppings.

If you're going to do this, I'd say only eat carbs on the weekend.

Absolutely disagree. Weight gain is hormonal. Every time you eat, you're raising your insulin and offering your body energy (calories) to burn instead of your stored fat. Eating smaller portions all day long will only keep your insulin levels high and slow down the process of burning your stored fat. If you eat one or two large meals making sure to get enough protein, carbs and fat and then fast the rest of the day, your body will burn those calories you ate for lunch (with OMAD, for example) and then start burning your stored fat as you get several hours into fasting.

I think most in the medical profession who think keto is horrible are thinking you're just eating bunless hamburgers, bacon and processed "keto" snacks. There's no way that clean keto is unhealthy.

There have been some very good studies of a carb-free VLCD for mitigation of T2D and treatment of obesity. NHS now recommends this as a first step treatment of T2D. Health Canada is also recommending it. Patients consume about 800 calories for 8 to 12 weeks then step back into a healthy diet. The results are quite promising.

The treatment is safe under a doctor's supervision.

Btw the longest ever medically documented fast was a guy named Angus Barbieri who ate nothing but supplements for 382 days. Don't try this at home kids.

There have been some very good studies of a carb-free VLCD for mitigation of T2D and treatment of obesity. NHS now recommends this as a first step treatment of T2D. Health Canada is also recommending it. Patients consume about 800 calories for 8 to 12 weeks then step back into a healthy diet. The results are quite promising.

The treatment is safe under a doctor's supervision.

Btw the longest ever medically documented fast was a guy named Angus Barbieri who ate nothing but supplements for 382 days. Don't try this at home kids.

Yikes.

On the days you want pizza, just eat the toppings.
Other options include whole wheat thin crust or going with a plant based crust. Some pizza restaurants have broccoli and or cauliflower crusts. I've tried them pre-made from the grocery store to make my own pizza and they're very good.

Im not looking to go 100% keto anyway. I love freshly baked artisanal bread too much lol. I usually only eat one meal a day, so Im already practicing intermittent fasting. If I lower my carbs down to nothing every other day it should help keep me in shape.
Probably one of the better known practitioners of OMAD is Stanley McChrystal. Ketosis can occur very quickly when this style of eating is followed, especially if the one meal is low in carbs.

Have you ever calculated how many calories you're eating at that meal?

I spoke to a nutritionist recently and she warned me against the keto diet. Just sayin'.

You don't want to be in ketosis - certainly not on a regular basis. Your body begins eating into its storage capacity - that's a survival mechanism, much like profuse sweating when you are out in 105 degree heat. That's the body's effort to sustain you until you get to a point where you can recover. It's not meant to be a long-term health choice.

There's this persistent myth that carbohydrates are bad for you, but that's not really true. In fact most foods - including some very nutritious foods - have some carbohydrates. Things like beans, grains, seeds, whole wheat (and wheat bread) are quite good sources of fiber, which aid your overall gut health. If you avoid those foods, not only are you depriving your body of energy and forcing your body to dip into its savings account, but you're also depriving your body of badly needed fiber. Your immune system will suffer.

I think people are getting confused about carbs: it's the simple carbs that are added to processed foods that are problematic -- things like processed sugar, corn syrup, juice concentrate, fructose in colas, etc. Yes, those carbs are bad. A lot of bread and bread products have these carbs, which is why bread is often (mistakenly) lumped in with the bad carbs group. You can get healthier whole grain bread out there that is much healthier, and which contains less sugar and sodium.

You don't want to be in ketosis - certainly not on a regular basis. Your body begins eating into its storage capacity - that's a survival mechanism, much like profuse sweating when you are out in 105 degree heat. That's the body's effort to sustain you until you get to a point where you can recover. It's not meant to be a long-term health choice.

There's this persistent myth that carbohydrates are bad for you, but that's not really true. In fact most foods - including some very nutritious foods - have some carbohydrates. Things like beans, grains, seeds, whole wheat (and wheat bread) are quite good sources of fiber, which aid your overall gut health. If you avoid those foods, not only are you depriving your body of energy and forcing your body to dip into its savings account, but you're also depriving your body of badly needed fiber. Your immune system will suffer.

I think people are getting confused about carbs: it's the simple carbs that are added to processed foods that are problematic -- things like processed sugar, corn syrup, juice concentrate, fructose in colas, etc. Yes, those carbs are bad. A lot of bread and bread products have these carbs, which is why bread is often (mistakenly) lumped in with the bad carbs group. You can get healthier whole grain bread out there that is much healthier, and which contains less sugar and sodium.
Spot on. You understand the science and haven't been lured into fad diets.

Spot on. You understand the science and haven't been lured into fad diets.

I am almost certain I got COVID (omicron) back in early January. My blood pressure started spiking and had major head pressure and heart arrhythmias. I could feel that something was off, and my experience is that doctors here want to treat everything pharmacologically, which is not necessary in probably 85% of cases -- for serious problems like tissue damage or persistent HBP? Absolutely see a doctor and get medicine, but most don't really require it.

I've been trying to pay attention to diet ever since the beginning of the year. My body reacts according to how I diet and exercise. When I'm straight, I feel good. When I fall off the wagon, I start paying a price for it. I can't tell you how much better I've been feeling. My one vice is my nightly red wine habit - I should probably skip it a few nights. I can during the week, but the weekend comes and it just feels so nice to kick back with a glass or two (or three, lol) or cabernet.

I am almost certain I got COVID (omicron) back in early January. My blood pressure started spiking and had major head pressure and heart arrhythmias. I could feel that something was off, and my experience is that doctors here want to treat everything pharmacologically, which is not necessary in probably 85% of cases -- for serious problems like tissue damage or persistent HBP? Absolutely see a doctor and get medicine, but most don't really require it.
My friend's son was diagnosed with Covid yesterday. Weird thing is that it's a strain there's no rapid test for yet.
I've been trying to pay attention to diet ever since the beginning of the year. My body reacts according to how I diet and exercise. When I'm straight, I feel good. When I fall off the wagon, I start paying a price for it. I can't tell you how much better I've been feeling. My one vice is my nightly red wine habit - I should probably skip it a few nights. I can during the week, but the weekend comes and it just feels so nice to kick back with a glass or two (or three, lol) or cabernet.
Most health issues can be traced to diet. Our western affluence is killing us. Skip the Dishes should be arrested for Crimes Against Humanity.

I also enjoy red wine some evenings. Skip the Dishes also delivers it.

My friend's son was diagnosed with Covid yesterday. Weird thing is that it's a strain there's no rapid test for yet.

At-home tests are not that good at catching the newer variants. In fact you have to wait until there are enough antibodies built up in your system to be detectable. I think the problem is probably due to the fact that these tests were designed with the earlier variants in mind, which were easier to detect because the symptoms appeared closer to the time antibodies developed. With newer variants, you get symptoms faster but the antibodies may take longer to develop, making the tests less effective in the initial onset stage. You can wait and test again in another day or two and might get different results.

I've taken three or four at-home tests and they never confirmed a positive result. The more recent instance was probably just a bad cold, which resolved after a few days, but in January my symptoms were just so sudden and unusual - and unusually consistent with COVID symptoms - that I'm 95% I contracted it. It was during the time when omicron was flooding ERs and hospitals. I also had to work in an office in which I heard three or four people coughing and clearing their throats, so I'm convinced they had it and gave it to me. I worked at a small university at the time and these were young student workers who probably just thought "Meh, cold."

Most health issues can be traced to diet. Our western affluence is killing us. Skip the Dishes should be arrested for Crimes Against Humanity.

I also enjoy red wine some evenings. Skip the Dishes also delivers it.

I was doing Uber Eats and just couldn't accept how much I was paying for delivery, so I stopped. I still eat crap while on the road -- I'm a sucker for McDonald's breakfast menu as ordinary and workmanlike as the menu may be, lol. But trying to be more disciplined.

I just do not find that at all true for my own body.

First of all, I've seen zero research indicating that a well formulated keto or low carb/high fat diet is unhealthy. The body does need glucose, but what it needs the body can make, and for other uses of glucose the body thrives in fact on ketones.

As the article points out, you can eat tons of leafy greens, broccoli, etc. on a keto diet. The most recent data on saturated fat is also indicating there's really no need to avoid it. Yes, it might raise LDL, but that alone is a really terrible predictor of heart disease risk. If you have high HDL and low triglycerides, your risk from high LDL is minimal. It's also far more important what kind of LDL - high or low density.

And the advantage of keto or LCHF is once I got adapted to burning fat, I could fast with ease, never count a single calorie, and I lost more than 50 pounds and have kept it off with ease.

I also don't understand the belief that many smaller meals are healthier than big meals. There's no question we evolved to eat few big meals. Just 100 years ago, no one went to work in the fields or in a factory and had a bunch of snacks all day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, at most. Before that humans might gorge on a killed deer then not eat for a day or two. We have stored fat so we don't have to eat even every day. The body should be able to effortlessly turn to that stored fat for all the fuel it needs, and I've found that to be true for my own body.

What "storage capacity" do you mean? If you're in ketosis, that's your body feeding on your fat, which is in fact the purpose of fat which is to be a 'healthy' fuel source in times of food scarcity. Yes, it's a survival mechanism, but for the huge number of us who are overweight and/or obese, our body eating its storage capacity is a great thing.
Carbs are likely bad for those with T2D because of how they impact glucose and insulin levels. If you're metabolically healthy, then carbs in moderate amounts are fine. And we don't need to eat grains - or really even vegetables. There are no essential carbs. There are essential fats and essential proteins.
But most bread is just highly refined and processed white flour. It has very nearly the same effect as sugars on insulin, blood sugar, and simply isn't needed as part of any healthy diet. The advantage of grains is they are a very cheap source of calories. That's about it.

Back
Top Bottom