• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A new MOOC University course on climate denial

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A University in Australia is offering an online course in understanding science denial and its motivations, and an understanding of how to recognize and deal with the misinformation.

The Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) looks at what drives the rejection of climate science denial (spoiler alert “it’s political ideology”), then debunks some of the most common climate science myths, before looking at the psychology of denial and, finally, how to most effectively counter misinformation.

I'm thinking a few people here are probably going to enroll just to get tips on how to misinform even better. (you cant trust the temperatures! Besides they are flat and cooling!, etc)

More Than 10,000 Enroll In Free University Course To Debunk Climate Science Denial | DeSmogBlog

A University in Australia is offering an online course in understanding science denial and its motivations, and an understanding of how to recognize and deal with the misinformation.

I'm thinking a few people here are probably going to enroll just to get tips on how to misinform even better. (you cant trust the temperatures! Besides they are flat and cooling!, etc)

More Than 10,000 Enroll In Free University Course To Debunk Climate Science Denial | DeSmogBlog

Judith Curry tosses this in the trash where it belongs.

Making (non)sense of climate denial | Climate Etc.

Update: I thought it would be fun to make some suggestions for John Cook’s final exam, to see if the students REALLY are inoculated against climate denial. Here are my suggestions for a reading list (accessible to nontechnical students), I look forward to your suggestions:

Update: I thought it would be fun to make some suggestions for John Cook’s final exam, to see if the students REALLY are inoculated against climate denial. Here are my suggestions for a reading list (accessible to nontechnical students), I look forward to your suggestions:

The denial runs deep in this one.

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

Being one member of the "non-technical" group on this subject, I found several of the book titles offered by Amazon to be interesting enough to order same.

And for the record, I don't consider Svensmark and Shaviv to be climate deniers - they have simply offered another scientific possibility for further research. I find their theory on Cosmoclimatology very interesting - particularly since they have offered sufficient proof, which apparently has enough merit that other scientists have now become interested enough to look into it, and that's good...no matter what the end result might be. :thumbs:

Not interested in your mook class.

I love how the proponents of climate change disaster post the most arrogant, obnoxious, unattractive arguments in favour of their position as if that's going to convince anyone to their side of the argument. It's like having Rosie O'Donnell as your spokesperson - sure to attract lots of new adherents.

Well, it is higher education, so I can see that.

Massive online propaganda machines that require zero prerequisites isn't "higher education". It's MOOK University.

I love how the proponents of climate change disaster post the most arrogant, obnoxious, unattractive arguments in favour of their position as if that's going to convince anyone to their side of the argument. It's like having Rosie O'Donnell as your spokesperson - sure to attract lots of new adherents.

LOL. I learned a long time ago that you cant reason someone out of something he didnt reason himself in to.

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

Being one member of the "non-technical" group on this subject, I found several of the book titles offered by Amazon to be interesting enough to order same.

And for the record, I don't consider Svensmark and Shaviv to be climate deniers - they have simply offered another scientific possibility for further research. I find their theory on Cosmoclimatology very interesting - particularly since they have offered sufficient proof, which apparently has enough merit that other scientists have now become interested enough to look into it, and that's good...no matter what the end result might be. :thumbs:

Greetings, Polgara.:2wave:

We've been in Charlestn, SC the last three days. Off to Asheville, NC this morning.:mrgreen:

Greetings, Polgara.:2wave:

We've been in Charlestn, SC the last three days. Off to Asheville, NC this morning.:mrgreen:

You're heading into the area of NC where I own property - beautiful country! It's mountainous, with lots of apple orchards. Enjoy your trip, and stop at one of the many little country stores and have a Coke. They'll talk your leg off! :mrgreen:

Do they offer a BS in BS also?

You're heading into the area of NC where I own property - beautiful country! It's mountainous, with lots of apple orchards. Enjoy your trip, and stop at one of the many little country stores and have a Coke. They'll talk your leg off! :mrgreen:

Don't mean to derail...but I have always thought about moving to Ashville area...never seen it, always interested in hearing about it. (Even thought about Boone)

Massive online propaganda machines that require zero prerequisites isn't "higher education". It's MOOK University.
It's more like a massive online role-playing game they created where the "good guys" team up to wander around their imaginary world encountering randomly generated, brainless, unarmed eco-monsters of straw ("denialists") that they programmed as targets, to shoot with infinite ease, scattering them all over the floors and walls. Then, at the end of each mission, they congratulate one another over their prowess at saving their imaginary world again from monsters of their own imagination.

Of course, everyone gets a gold star - merely for participating.

Don't mean to derail...but I have always thought about moving to Ashville area...never seen it, always interested in hearing about it. (Even thought about Boone)

Greetings, maxparrish. :2wave:

My husband's people were from the Lenoir area - they all worked in the furniture factories. Boone, Hickory, Moravian Falls, Brushy Mountain area - all beautiful places to live if you like mountains rather than coastal areas. Nice friendly people, too. I hope to move there after I get a house built on the acreage I own, but that's a ways up the road, as they say. I'd like to have some cattle, chickens, and a horse or two, plus a big garden so I can be as self sufficient as possible in the future, because the way things are going, I think we're all going to need to be! :mrgreen:

Greetings, maxparrish. :2wave:

My husband's people were from the Lenoir area - they all worked in the furniture factories. Boone, Hickory, Moravian Falls, Brushy Mountain area - all beautiful places to live if you like mountains rather than coastal areas. Nice friendly people, too. I hope to move there after I get a house built on the acreage I own, but that's a ways up the road, as they say. I'd like to have some cattle, chickens, and a horse or two, plus a big garden so I can be as self sufficient as possible in the future, because the way things are going, I think we're all going to need to be! :mrgreen:

Thanks. Yes I love mtns (and coasts) BUT I figure the higher altitude make things somewhat cooler. Roses are my "thing" and I imagine they'd do fine. Later this year I hope to travel to the area to check it out (and like you, I'd luv to build a cottage on a plot of land).

Thanks. Yes I love mtns (and coasts) BUT I figure the higher altitude make things somewhat cooler. Roses are my "thing" and I imagine they'd do fine. Later this year I hope to travel to the area to check it out (and like you, I'd luv to build a cottage on a plot of land).

The air seems cleaner there - maybe because there are so many trees. I grow roses - have you bought the Downton Abbey roses that Breck's is offering? I ordered Anna's Promise, and they should be shipping it to me soon.

Back
Top Bottom