• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A new era for the religous right...

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Nobody is denying that voters shifted power to the GOP with a clear fiscal agenda to fix the economy, create jobs, reduce the deficit, and lower health care costs. Most of the GOP candidates who won didn't really even bring up social issues in their campaigns.

However, Americans may have inadvertently stoked the flames of the culture war by giving the religious right the opportunity both on the state and national level to overwhelmingly impose it's social agenda. House Speaker John Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor have long records of working with the Religious Right on a wide variety of social issues.

How long will it be before the GOP gives in to their religious right special interest groups and begin a crusade against gay rights and abortion? How much of a beating will the Constitution take once the economy is stable again?

I have never met anyone who says "I only care about economic issues" that didn't turn out to be an extreme social conservative.

The chances are that this was insidious but intentional.

I have never met anyone who says "I only care about economic issues" that didn't turn out to be an extreme social conservative.

The chances are that this was insidious but intentional.

In my estimation, while 100% of teapartiers say it's about overspending, 80% of them care even more (based upon surveys) about socially conservative "moral" issues.

Nobody is denying that voters shifted power to the GOP with a clear fiscal agenda to fix the economy, create jobs, reduce the deficit, and lower health care costs. Most of the GOP candidates who won didn't really even bring up social issues in their campaigns.

However, Americans may have inadvertently stoked the flames of the culture war by giving the religious right the opportunity both on the state and national level to overwhelmingly impose it's social agenda. House Speaker John Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor have long records of working with the Religious Right on a wide variety of social issues.

How long will it be before the GOP gives in to their religious right special interest groups and begin a crusade against gay rights and abortion? How much of a beating will the Constitution take once the economy is stable again?

I don't think it'll take much of a beating honestly.

If they go hog wild social conservative all the way to the way some on the Religious Right want its going to require them to actually abandon some of their fiscal and governmental conservative principles that got them elected. Even if they don't go to that extend, if they focus on social issues and fail to show at least equal if not more fervor to the fiscal and governmental issues they'll still have problems.

If either of the above happens the congressman that were just elected are going to get chucked out on their ears in two years.

Will there be some push for social conservative issues? Absolutely. While the Tea Party movement was fiscal and governmentally focused, the Republican Party is still a conservative party across the board. The issue will be rather or not social issues are the mainstay and front line, and if they do them even when it conflicts with other parts of conservatism, or if it will be a balanced party this time around.

I think, IF people stay true to their words, that we will see a new era of sorts for the religious right. One in which they are given an even voice with the rest of the branches of conservatism rather than being out front leading the charge by a mile.

It must be sad to have to live in fear of christian boogeymen lurking around every corner and hiding in every shadow. :shrug:

just tired of all the "poor me" gays are persecuted threads. we get it already. everyone is out to get you.

christians out to get you
tea party out to get you
right wingers out to get you
muslims out to get you
nazis out to get you
the military is out to get you

why does it feel like, somebody's watching me? : Rockwell

Last edited:
just tired of all the "poor me" gays are persecuted threads. we get it already. everyone is out to get you.

tea party out to get you
muslims out to get you
nazis out to get you
It's like a tic, isn't it? You can't stand to be criticized. I get it; it's pathological.

Are you ready to ask for help in dealing with your whiny persecution complex? I swear, anytime someone offers even minor criticism, you're off the rails about how mean everyone is to white, male, redneck, sister-screwing, homophobic, racist, Christians.

Did you not get enough approval from your mother or something? It's a bit sad that all you know how to do is automatically view any sort of social criticism as somehow playing victim.

tea party out to get you
muslims out to get you
nazis out to get you

I thought the muslims got exemptions. :lol:

I'll tell you what, Oscar and Rev. Patria is gay. Apparently, the overwhelming majority of people who post here (77%) believe that gays should be killed. http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/84894-homosexuality-potentially-punishable-death.html

Maybe I'm reaching here, but I'm going to guess that these DP posters who want to kill the evil gays come primarily from the social conservative/religious right. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

So, in defense of Patria...as my former lieutenant used to say..."Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people AREN'T out to get you."

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, Oscar and Rev. Patria is gay. Go on the polls page. Look at the voting on the poll about putting gays to death for the horrible crime of being gay. If you were dealing with people on an online forum who thought you should be put to death, you might have a slightly different perspective on who is "out to get you."

As my former lieutenant used to say..."Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people AREN'T out to get you."

don't care if he's a martian. :shrug:

Besides, He ain't jack until he receives REAL death threats here at DP. :ssst:

Oh and one last thing, I argue that I as a tea party member have been treated worse than any gay poster here at DP.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, Oscar and Rev. Patria is gay. Go on the polls page. Look at the voting on the poll about putting gays to death for the horrible crime of being gay. If you were dealing with people on an online forum who thought you should be put to death, you might have a slightly different perspective on who is "out to get you."

As my former lieutenant used to say..."Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people AREN'T out to get you."

you mean the poll that someone hacked and skewed the votes...... yeah right. and we know patria is gay...that's all he ever freakin talks about. talk about someone having a "tic".

Oscar is right.

I can log out and re vote over and over again. I think the Polls section here at DP is all but useless since it allows guests to vote. :shrug:

It's one asshole that's doing it.

It's like a tic, isn't it? You can't stand to be criticized. I get it; it's pathological.

Are you ready to ask for help in dealing with your whiny persecution complex? I swear, anytime someone offers even minor criticism, you're off the rails about how mean everyone is to white, male, redneck, sister-screwing, homophobic, racist, Christians.

Did you not get enough approval from your mother or something? It's a bit sad that all you know how to do is automatically view any sort of social criticism as somehow playing victim.

your personal attack is duely noted. thank you and have a nice day

Last edited:
you mean the poll that someone hacked and skewed the votes...... yeah right. and we know patria is gay...that's all he ever freakin talks about. talk about someone having a "tic".

The fact that someone would do that is kind of telling.

The fact that someone would do that is kind of telling.

the only thing it "tells" is that there is one asswipe out there who is antigay. nothing more, nothing less.

To try to use that poll as an indicator that lots of people on this forum hate gays and want them killed is disingenuous at best.

Last edited:

Yes, you're absolutely right. Why can't everyone be so tolerant and free of hate like yourself.

I think you bring it up more than I do. I haven't mentioned it outside two or three threads in (gasp) the Sex and Sexuality Forum. I think you're just deeply uncomfortable about anything outside the white male heterosexist culture of Alabama.
don't care if he's a martian. :shrug:

Besides, He ain't jack until he receives REAL death threats here at DP. :ssst:

Oh and one last thing, I argue that I as a tea party member have been treated worse than any gay poster here at DP.
That's the other thing only extreme social conservatives say.

Back
Top Bottom