• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A New Beginning (Reposted from 2019)

Sundog

DP Veteran
Reaction score
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV) - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! - A new year is often viewed as a new beginning, and we can think of ourselves as having a new beginning if we have come to Christ. The Apostle Paul wrote 2 Corinthians about 55 A.D. probably when he was in Macedonia, and in 5:17 notice that Paul says "has come," "has gone" and "is here," he never uses the words "might come," might be gone," or "might be here." It's a done deal for those in Christ because of what he did for them on the cross. He paid for all our sins and Ephesians 2:8-9 says - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast. - and promises us eternity in Heaven as his free gift to us if we have faith in him. Despite our feelings and what we may have been told, we can't work our way to forgiveness and eternal life, we can only rely on Christ for that. We need to have faith in him in order to be a new creation. [Link removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV) - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! - A new year is often viewed as a new beginning, and we can think of ourselves as having a new beginning if we have come to Christ. The Apostle Paul wrote 2 Corinthians about 55 A.D. probably when he was in Macedonia, and in 5:17 notice that Paul says "has come," "has gone" and "is here," he never uses the words "might come," might be gone," or "might be here." It's a done deal for those in Christ because of what he did for them on the cross. He paid for all our sins and Ephesians 2:8-9 says - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast. - and promises us eternity in Heaven as his free gift to us if we have faith in him. Despite our feelings and what we may have been told, we can't work our way to forgiveness and eternal life, we can only rely on Christ for that. We need to have faith in him in order to be a new creation. What About Jesus?
So, all I have to do is say I believe in Christ and I'm saved. I don't have to show my faith and belief by showing my works? But, why does James say I do show my faith by my works? This is good news because that means I don't have to pay tithing anymore, give to the poor, help the poor and the needy, preach the gospel and fulfill my covenants with God.

So, all I have to do is say I believe in Christ and I'm saved. I don't have to show my faith and belief by showing my works? But, why does James say I do show my faith by my works? This is good news because that means I don't have to pay tithing anymore, give to the poor, help the poor and the needy, preach the gospel and fulfill my covenants with God.

Matthew 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

If you believe in Christ, He will be in you.
If Christ is in you, it will be reflected in your everyday life, in your deeds.

We often hear about "transformation." That is true.
We have to repent. That is a condition to salvation.
Repentance means changing our sinful ways, thus we are transformed.

What does believing in Christ truly means?

The true meaning of the question is “Do you believe Jesus Christ is who the Bible says He is, and are you trusting Him as your Savior?”

Do you believe that Jesus is God in human form (John 1:1, 14)? Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for your sins (1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21), for which you deserve eternal separation from God (Romans 6:23)? Do you believe that the sacrifice of Jesus, God incarnate, is the only adequate payment for your sins (1 John 2:2; John 14:6; Acts 4:12)?

Do you believe these things? If so, great, but believing the facts about Jesus is only part of the equation.
Biblical faith/belief is far more than believing certain things to be true. Biblical saving faith is also trusting/relying on those facts.

A chair is a good illustration. You can look at a chair and believe it is made of materials strong enough to support your weight, and you can believe that it was assembled correctly. But that is not biblical faith. Biblical faith is sitting in the chair. It is actually relying on the chair to hold your weight off the ground.

Are you trusting that Jesus is your Savior? Are you relying on His death as the full payment for your sin debt? Are you depending on His resurrection as the guarantee that you, too, will be raised to eternal life after death? Not that it could ever happen, but if the “chair” of Jesus Christ were pulled out from beneath you, spiritually speaking, would you hit the ground, or are you also relying on things in addition to the chair?

If you understand and believe what the Bible says about Jesus, and if you are trusting in those truths as the basis for salvation—you are saved! You “believe in Jesus” in the biblical sense.

Last edited:
Matthew 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

If you believe in Christ, He will be in you.
If Christ is in you, it will be reflected in your everyday life, in your deeds.

We often hear about "transformation." That is true.
We have to repent. That is a condition to salvation.
Repentance means changing our sinful ways, thus we are transformed.

What does believing in Christ truly means?

The true meaning of the question is “Do you believe Jesus Christ is who the Bible says He is, and are you trusting Him as your Savior?”

Do you believe that Jesus is God in human form (John 1:1, 14)? Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for your sins (1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21), for which you deserve eternal separation from God (Romans 6:23)? Do you believe that the sacrifice of Jesus, God incarnate, is the only adequate payment for your sins (1 John 2:2; John 14:6; Acts 4:12)?

Do you believe these things? If so, great, but believing the facts about Jesus is only part of the equation.
Biblical faith/belief is far more than believing certain things to be true. Biblical saving faith is also trusting/relying on those facts.

A chair is a good illustration. You can look at a chair and believe it is made of materials strong enough to support your weight, and you can believe that it was assembled correctly. But that is not biblical faith. Biblical faith is sitting in the chair. It is actually relying on the chair to hold your weight off the ground.

Are you trusting that Jesus is your Savior? Are you relying on His death as the full payment for your sin debt? Are you depending on His resurrection as the guarantee that you, too, will be raised to eternal life after death? Not that it could ever happen, but if the “chair” of Jesus Christ were pulled out from beneath you, spiritually speaking, would you hit the ground, or are you also relying on things in addition to the chair?

If you understand and believe what the Bible says about Jesus, and if you are trusting in those truths as the basis for salvation—you are saved! You “believe in Jesus” in the biblical sense.

All you have to do is believe and you are saved? What about enduring to the end and keep your testimony valiant until the end? Again, if you have faith in Christ, you will manifest that faith by your good works. Of course, you have to do those works with the right spirit or it won't count. I really don't see us at odds with each other.

All you have to do is believe and you are saved? What about enduring to the end and keep your testimony valiant until the end? Again, if you have faith in Christ, you will manifest that faith by your good works. Of course, you have to do those works with the right spirit or it won't count. I really don't see us at odds with each other.

Did you read the explanation what "believing" means?

If you believe, would you not follow the full instructions of Christ?

Matthew 28
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[b] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Yes, that includes enduring and keeping faith to the end.
It's one of His teachings, is it not?

Back
Top Bottom