• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A national lottery to fund the wall

trouble13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Just a passing thought here.

Rather than starting a go fund me page, which apparently csnt be used to fund the wall, I was thinking a national lottery might be better.

It basically amounts to a voluntary tax people self impose upon themselves. Make all proceeds go directly to the wall. That way the people can decide for themselves if they want a wall or not.

I'm wondering how something like that would be received by the country.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rather than starting a go fund me page, which apparently csnt be used to fund the wall, I was thinking a national lottery might be better.

It basically amounts to a voluntary tax people self impose upon themselves. Make all proceeds go directly to the wall. That way the people can decide for themselves if they want a wall or not.

It would have the same problem as the gofundme fundraiser. Anybody can elect to contribute money to the government when they do their taxes or can send a check to the Treasury at any time. No one but Congress can decide how that money is allocated. The people don’t decide how money is spent when it reaches the government. For all you know, Congress will allocate it to the sexual harassment settlement fund.

i don't support a lottery to fund the great wall of derp.

i don't support a lottery to fund the great wall of derp.
If DERP was painted on it in great big letters with a pic of Trump’s mug beside it I’d be up for contributing for that section. :thumbs:

Forget it....does not matter if its got some funding or not...a physical barrier across the Southern Border is a dumb idea whether there is money found for it or not.

"By cracky's the wall worked for the South at Fredericksburg" Yea....supported by lines of troopers shooting to kill with interior lines supporting them. Outside of urban areas where physical barrier can be very effective and in other specific areas where it can be a capable part of an integrated, technology based border security system its about a Civil War speed of idea for our Southern Border.

The Wall is either:
A) blindly supported by those that blindly support anything Trump spits out of his mouth
B) the "worked at Fredericksburg" crowd
C) those from the IRA in St Petersburg or those doing their divisive work for them....come to think of it, that describes Donald to a tee.

Last edited:

I would approve of the idea as a compromise for Trump continuing the DACA program. All lotteries have a winner so the first prize should be an autograph and a photo op with Numtnuts...

Support for the wall (which isn't really a wall and we all know this by now, but) is divided down party lines. Both sides have done a good job of convincing their base to support it, or not support it. Independents are just about split down the middle.
The ONLY opinions I pay attention to are the those of the people who put their boots on the ground at the border every day, and they say more wall would help in certain places. So give them more damn wall and let's just stop this stupid partisan tantrum throwing on BOTH sides. Figure this **** out. It's not that hard.

It's a great idea. Lotteries are already considered a tax on stupid so this would be completely appropriate.

I would approve of the idea as a compromise for Trump continuing the DACA program. All lotteries have a winner so the first prize should be an autograph and a photo op with Numtnuts...

Trump nixed the deal with Dems for 20B if they continued the DACA program last year. Just shows you he is not such a great deal maker.

Support for the wall (which isn't really a wall and we all know this by now, but) is divided down party lines. Both sides have done a good job of convincing their base to support it, or not support it. Independents are just about split down the middle.
The ONLY opinions I pay attention to are the those of the people who put their boots on the ground at the border every day, and they say more wall would help in certain places. So give them more damn wall and let's just stop this stupid partisan tantrum throwing on BOTH sides. Figure this **** out. It's not that hard.

As long as a $35 ladder can defeat a $5 billion wall, I can't support such a waste of taxpayer money just to stroke Trumps political ego.

But only those supporting the wall could win. :lamo

As long as a $35 ladder can defeat a $5 billion wall, I can't support such a waste of taxpayer money just to stroke Trumps political ego.
So buy stock in Home Depot.

This has nothing to do with Trump's ego. Not from my POV. I am actively listening to the real experts-the boots on the ground-and they say more wall will help.
I'm afraid this has become all about denying Trump, not protecting our border and certainly not about protecting Americans.

Trump nixed the deal with Dems for 20B if they continued the DACA program last year. Just shows you he is not such a great deal maker.

True, his deal making skill is on par with his ability to feel empathy.

My way or the highway, is never a good starting point for deal making...

• If all proceeds "go directly to the wall," how do you propose to pay the winners of the lottery?
  • If getting the wall itself built is the "prize," then why the hell does one need a lottery? The GoFundMe achieves the same outcome and renders the same "prize."

It would have the same problem as the gofundme fundraiser. Anybody can elect to contribute money to the government when they do their taxes or can send a check to the Treasury at any time. No one but Congress can decide how that money is allocated. The people don’t decide how money is spent when it reaches the government. For all you know, Congress will allocate it to the sexual harassment settlement fund.
How do they use it on education funding 9f it's not legal?

This has nothing to do with Trump's ego. Not from my POV. I am actively listening to the real experts-the boots on the ground-and they say more wall will help.
I'm afraid this has become all about denying Trump, not protecting our border and certainly not about protecting Americans.

Reinforcing existing fencing in strategically important areas is a far cry from building a 30 foot wall across the entire southern border that "Mexico will pay for." If Trump only wanted to support border protection and repair already existing fencing, or even shore up a few vulnerable areas, he should have led with that. Once you make a laughably outrageous demand your opponent is far less likely to negotiate with you when you suggest compromise. Any way you slice it, this is all on Donald Trump and his poor negotiation tactics.

On the other hand, it did get him elected. I suppose there's a lesson to be learned here: It's not worth campaigning or voting just to spite the other party. Even if you win, you lose.

I would agree there is room in this to negotiate something for DACA. I'm a little surprised 5he dems have not made some sort of counter offer involving it but they may waiting for house control

I would agree there is room in this to negotiate something for DACA. I'm a little surprised 5he dems have not made some sort of counter offer involving it but they may waiting for house control

Nope...this lets make a deal Legislation must end. Its another STUPID idea...like the wall itself.

• If all proceeds "go directly to the wall," how do you propose to pay the winners of the lottery?
  • If getting the wall itself built is the "prize," then why the hell does one need a lottery? The GoFundMe achieves the same outcome and renders the same "prize."
Sorry I was not clear I meant to use the current lottery model where half goes to education and the other half is the prize money

lwf;1069465369[B said:
]Reinforcing existing fencing in strategically important areas is a far cry from building a 30 foot wall across the entire southern border that "Mexico will pay for."[/B] If Trump only wanted to support border protection and repair already existing fencing, or even shore up a few vulnerable areas, he should have led with that. Once you make a laughably outrageous demand your opponent is far less likely to negotiate with you when you suggest compromise. Any way you slice it, this is all on Donald Trump and his poor negotiation tactics.

On the other hand, it did get him elected. I suppose there's a lesson to be learned here: It's not worth campaigning or voting just to spite the other party. Even if you win, you lose.

Bolded: That's done. It's over. We are well past that. NO ONE is talking about, demanding or otherwise holding out for a contiguous border wall from sea to shining sea. It is abundantly clear that we are talking about a wall system, new wall in certain areas, wall repair, technology, human resource. No, he would not have led with anything else, because he's a negotiator. Even so, talks have progressed and frankly, come more towards the middle.
Dems didn't want a contiguous wall? Trump's not asking for that now. But, does that make them happy? No, of course not.
This isn't about meeting Trump in the middle. It's about denying him ONE INCH of wall, to ensure they do everything they can to thwart his campaign promise and harm his chances in 2020.
It's pathetic and utterly transparent. They want Trump out, and Democrat votes flowing in across our border.
Dems hate Trump more than they care about border security, Americans, our welfare and our limited resources.

The bottom line for anyone willing to be intellectually honest and non partisan for just a moment, is that Trump's ask is very reasonable in terms of budget money and in terms of border security.
You know what's ridiculous? Acting like border walls/fences and preventing people from invading our southern border is "immoral", when you've voted for it in 2006 and campaigned on it in the years between that, and when Trump got elected. Now, there's literally no one on the Left willing to address why now, suddenly, everything the said and voted for in the past is anathema.
So, no, Trump campaigning on a full wall has nothing to do with why the Dems aren't working with him. Nothing.

I do not approve. Continuing DACA was the position when the dems were in the minority. Conditions have changed. The dems now hold the House.

Greater leverage means greater return.

Bolded: That's done. It's over. We are well past that. NO ONE is talking about, demanding or otherwise holding out for a contiguous border wall from sea to shining sea. It is abundantly clear that we are talking about a wall system, new wall in certain areas, wall repair, technology, human resource. No, he would not have led with anything else, because he's a negotiator. Even so, talks have progressed and frankly, come more towards the middle.
Dems didn't want a contiguous wall? Trump's not asking for that now. But, does that make them happy? No, of course not.
This isn't about meeting Trump in the middle. It's about denying him ONE INCH of wall, to ensure they do everything they can to thwart his campaign promise and harm his chances in 2020.
It's pathetic and utterly transparent. They want Trump out, and Democrat votes flowing in across our border.
Dems hate Trump more than they care about border security, Americans, our welfare and our limited resources.

The bottom line for anyone willing to be intellectually honest and non partisan for just a moment, is that Trump's ask is very reasonable in terms of budget money and in terms of border security.
You know what's ridiculous? Acting like border walls/fences and preventing people from invading our southern border is "immoral", when you've voted for it in 2006 and campaigned on it in the years between that, and when Trump got elected. Now, there's literally no one on the Left willing to address why now, suddenly, everything the said and voted for in the past is anathema.
So, no, Trump campaigning on a full wall has nothing to do with why the Dems aren't working with him. Nothing.

You don't think democrats would be more amenable to compromise had Donald Trump toned down his campaign rhetoric and been more friendly and accommodating to the other side? Trump earned a lot of ire and lost a lot of credibility with bombastic accusations, outright lies, and pompous overconfidence. Whose fault do you think it is that no one wants to give him an inch now? To suggest that democrats should give Trump the benefit of the doubt after two years of smug obnoxious behavior shows an utter lack of understanding of diplomacy.

Trump has no one to blame but himself, and his supporters have no one to blame but their own foolish desire to "stick it to the liberals" by voting for a man who was never going to be able to to bring America together. This mess is unarguably a populist/conservative mess, and god help the future of the Republican Party if a Democrat manages to clean it up in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom