• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A national lottery to fund the wall

• If all proceeds "go directly to the wall," how do you propose to pay the winners of the lottery?
  • If getting the wall itself built is the "prize," then why the hell does one need a lottery? The GoFundMe achieves the same outcome and renders the same "prize."

Wow, way to crush someone's dream! What a buzz kill, man!

:mrgreen:

How do they use it on education funding 9f it's not legal?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do you really think lottery money funds education? That is just so adorable !

:2wave:

:bright:

If a Democratic candidate had treated the Republicans as badly as Donald Trump treated them and won, then I would be saying the exact same thing about a Democratic president that couldn't get the Republicans to the negotiating table.
I think maybe you are suffering from selective amnesia. Trump was called some really nasty things since he announced his run and it has been nonstop ever since. I'm not understanding why you think Trump should be civil toward people who have been nothing but uncivil toward him.

If the gofundme can't be used, has the money been refunded?

I think the wall is pointless, because it will just fall into ruin...
It's a good question what is going to become of that money if it cant be used what it is be raised for. I really do not know the answer.

As far as you thinking the wall is pointless. I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont sgree with everything the gov wants to do but I do accept that in a country of 350M people we dont always get our way. Trump ran on building a wall and I dont see a reasonable reason why Congress should withhold the money he is asking for to do it.

And if that lottery never raises the tens of billions needed, what happens to the money it DOES raise? Would everyone get their money back?

Any lottery is, IMO, a tax on people who aren't good at math. You Trumptards go right ahead, have a lottery, use GoFundMe, whatever. A fool and his money are soon parted, but I'm keeping mine.
No they would not get their money back. Only part of the wall would get built unless Congress decided to make up the difference

Just a passing thought here.

Rather than starting a go fund me page, which apparently csnt be used to fund the wall, I was thinking a national lottery might be better.

It basically amounts to a voluntary tax people self impose upon themselves. Make all proceeds go directly to the wall. That way the people can decide for themselves if they want a wall or not.

I'm wondering how something like that would be received by the country.

Screw Trump's feckin Wall. Most Americans do not want it. Why are people trying to find ways to fund something that most Americans don't want? It's like saying holding a gun on someone and saying, "Which foot do you want me to shoot?"

"How about I don't want you to shoot me?"

Trump's Wall is much more a political issue than it is a security issue. Trump and the people who still buy into Trump's "Be Afraid, be very afraid" bull**** cannot produce and have not produced evidence based justification for Trump's Wall or proposed alternatives comparing costs and efficiency. How can anyone seriously consider Trump's Wall when they cannot - and Trump cannot - answer the real questions, the hard questions, about his goddam Wall?

Screw Trump's feckin Wall. Most Americans do not want it. Why are people trying to find ways to fund something that most Americans don't want? It's like saying holding a gun on someone and saying, "Which foot do you want me to shoot?"

"How about I don't want you to shoot me?"

Trump's Wall is much more a political issue than it is a security issue. Trump and the people who still buy into Trump's "Be Afraid, be very afraid" bull**** cannot produce and have not produced evidence based justification for Trump's Wall or proposed alternatives comparing costs and efficiency. How can anyone seriously consider Trump's Wall when they cannot - and Trump cannot - answer the real questions, the hard questions, about his goddam Wall?
How does a wall hurt you?

No they would not get their money back. Only part of the wall would get built unless Congress decided to make up the difference

Not on my dime. Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall, not American taxpayers. We should hold him to that, and none of the mumbo jumbo "they'll pay for it through tariffs" nonsense shall apply.

That's how its been sold to the public

Exactly! Just the way Trump sold the promise of Mexico paying for the wall to his base.

If DERP was painted on it in great big letters with a pic of Trump’s mug beside it I’d be up for contributing for that section. :thumbs:

i'd rather have renewable energy and bridges that are stable. however, officially calling it the great wall of derp would be pretty funny.

Just a passing thought here.

Rather than starting a go fund me page, which apparently csnt be used to fund the wall, I was thinking a national lottery might be better.

It basically amounts to a voluntary tax people self impose upon themselves. Make all proceeds go directly to the wall. That way the people can decide for themselves if they want a wall or not.

I'm wondering how something like that would be received by the country.

Maybe make it fund something better

I think maybe you are suffering from selective amnesia. Trump was called some really nasty things since he announced his run and it has been nonstop ever since. I'm not understanding why you think Trump should be civil toward people who have been nothing but uncivil toward him.

Trump didn't need to rely on civility when republicans controlled all branches of government. He could get away with the bluster and brash rhetoric that energized his base. Unfortunately, democrats have achieved a majority in the House of Representatives, and they seem to have long memories. His base is no longer sufficient to further his agenda. Now he needs democrats to meet him halfway. That is why he should be civil. He has a very good reason to be civil. The democrats appear to have less reason to be civil than he does. Trump has lost the leverage he relied on to allow him to say whatever he wanted. Unless he completely changes his personality to the consternation of his base, he will get little to nothing done for the remainder of his presidency. The unique negotiating style that won him the support of a pissed off base still suffering from the recession has (predictably) now become a liability.

The shoe is on the other foot and Trump is going to have to get used to the taste of his own shoe for the remainder of his presidency.

Maybe make it fund something better
As long as they are honest about what the funding is being used for I have no issue with that. It's purely voluntary if you dont sgree with how the money is earmarked you dont contribute

Back
Top Bottom