• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A national lottery to fund the wall

You don't think democrats would be more amenable to compromise had Donald Trump toned down his campaign rhetoric and been more friendly and accommodating to the other side? Trump earned a lot of ire and lost a lot of credibility with bombastic accusations, outright lies, and pompous overconfidence. Whose fault do you think it is that no one wants to give him an inch now? To suggest that democrats should give Trump the benefit of the doubt after two years of smug obnoxious behavior shows an utter lack of understanding of diplomacy.

Trump has no one to blame but himself, and his supporters have no one to blame but their own foolish desire to "stick it to the liberals" by voting for a man who was never going to be able to to bring America together. This mess is unarguably a populist/conservative mess, and god help the future of the Republican Party if a Democrat manages to clean it up in 2020.

Is our border security really left to the devices of Democrats' emotions? Well, if Trump was nicer, maybe they'd be coddled, soothed and placated? Maybe if Trump asked "pretty please" the Democrats would do their sworn duty to work for the American people and put our country first?
The worst part of this is that you are implying that our national security and border control is being denied us because Dems are butthurt over Trump's bombastic nature and well, just not being nice.
Grow up, Dems.

I do not approve. Continuing DACA was the position when the dems were in the minority. Conditions have changed. The dems now hold the House.

Greater leverage means greater return.

I agree, but my point is that we'll get DACA in exchange for a completely volunteer lottery that's no skin off our noses. A lottery would only collect enough money to build 10 miles of chain link fence, it's a good trade for DACA.

As someone pointed out, lotteries are a tax on the stupid, let'em pay their taxes...

Is our border security really left to the devices of Democrats' emotions? Well, if Trump was nicer, maybe they'd be coddled, soothed and placated? Maybe if Trump asked "pretty please" the Democrats would do their sworn duty to work for the American people and put our country first?
The worst part of this is that you are implying that our national security and border control is being denied us because Dems are butthurt over Trump's bombastic nature and well, just not being nice.
Grow up, Dems.

Of course they are butthurt and of course they are going to dig their heels in, even if it means voting down a proposal that they might have approved of if a different president had suggested it. This is how diplomacy works. The same thing happened when the Republicans took the House during the Obama administration. They did their best to slow the economic recovery from the recession until they could get a republican president in the White house to take credit for it. Which they did.

The moral of the story is: We need to work together here. Republicans can't govern without Democrats and vice versa. Voting for the loud, divisive extremist in order to spite the opposition party is exactly the opposite of that. Trump is in for a lame duck presidency because he "wasn't afraid to stand up to the Democrats." If you want a president who can get things accomplished, then next time you should avoid voting for the "street fighter" candidate and instead vote for the diplomatic candidate who is most likely to get at least some support from the party you oppose.

Last edited:
I agree, but my point is that we'll get DACA in exchange for a completely volunteer lottery that's no skin off our noses. A lottery would only collect enough money to build 10 miles of chain link fence, it's a good trade for DACA.

As someone pointed out, lotteries are a tax on the stupid, let'em pay their taxes...

A reasonable position, but there are hundreds of thousands of other legal immigrants whose futures are threatened by Trump. For one, we should demand protection for those with temporary protected status

Of course they are butthurt and of course they are going to dig their heels in, even if it means voting down a proposal that they might have approved of if a different president had suggested it. This is how diplomacy works. The same thing happened when the Republicans took the House during the Obama administration. They did their best to slow the economic recovery from the recession until they could get a republican president in the White house to take credit for it. Which they did.

The moral of the story is: We need to work together here. Republicans can't govern without Democrats and vice versa. Voting for the loud, divisive extremist in order to spite the opposition party is exactly the opposite of that. Trump is in for a lame duck presidency because he "wasn't afraid to stand up to the Democrats." If you want a president who can get things accomplished, then next time you should avoid voting for the "street fighter" candidate and instead vote for the diplomatic candidate who is most likely to get at least some support from the party you oppose.

No, that's how 6-year olds behave. Don't you expect better of your dear leaders? Don't you expect them to be the grown ups in the room and actually get down to the job of working for the American people and you know...legislating?
I've seen school children do a better job of managing their emotions and employing conflict resolution skills.

No, that's how 6-year olds behave. Don't you expect better of your dear leaders? Don't you expect them to be the grown ups in the room and actually get down to the job of working for the American people and you know...legislating?
I've seen school children do a better job of managing their emotions and employing conflict resolution skills.

No, I don't expect that at all. It is also how adults behave. Especially adult politicians. No one has illustrated this fact better than Donald Trump himself.

Would I prefer that politicians rise above petty political squabbles and emotional vendettas and do what is in the best interest of the country? Of course. But if the President of the United States of America can't be bothered to do it, why on earth would I expect anyone else to?

No, I don't expect that at all. It is also how adults behave. Especially adult politicians. No one has illustrated this fact better than Donald Trump himself.

Would I prefer that politicians rise above petty political squabbles and emotional vendettas and do what is in the best interest of the country? Of course. But if the President of the United States of America can't be bothered to do it, why on earth would I expect anyone else to?

Trump has reduced his ask to far less than what was approve in 2006. He has negotiated with the nature of the barrier and the length. So, please, that's just disingenuous to say Trump hasn't moved on what he's asking for. The Dems have him over a barrel and are enjoying it. Meanwhile, Americans suffer.
Thanks, Dems.

You should expect better. Demand better. Vote for better.

ttfn:peace

Can you cite any examples of the Democrats extending him an olive branch?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A reasonable position, but there are hundreds of thousands of other legal immigrants whose futures are threatened by Trump. For one, we should demand protection for those with temporary protected status

Couldn't agree more.

Trump's ho-hum reaction to the dismemberment of Jamal Khashoggi and his cult's ho-hum reaction to him sucking up to yet another despot, is a clear example of why they need protection.

As Trump said, "...Khashoggi is not a US citizen, is that right? He's a permanent resident, okay..."

Btw, three of Khashoggi's children are US citizens...

Last edited:

None. Nor would I expect them to after the campaign he ran. That's my point. When you elect someone who campaigns on stomping the other party into the dirt, you elect someone who has put him or herself at a distinct negotiating disadvantage. It feels good to put your support behind a strong leader who can beat your enemies, but it is unwise to assume your fellow Americans are the enemies who need beating, because one day you might need their help.

Trump has reduced his ask to far less than what was approve in 2006. He has negotiated with the nature of the barrier and the length. So, please, that's just disingenuous to say Trump hasn't moved on what he's asking for. The Dems have him over a barrel and are enjoying it. Meanwhile, Americans suffer.
Thanks, Dems.

You should expect better. Demand better. Vote for better.

ttfn:peace

I don't suggest Trump hasn't moved on what he was asking for. Trump has moved almost all the way to what the Dems are asking for and they're still giving him the cold shoulder. And the reason for this is his own behavior and rhetoric. There is nothing Trump can do at this point to undo the damage he's already done. He's lying in the bed he's made and Americans suffer for it. Thanks Trump. I hope we all vote better next time.

You're putting the horse before the cart. It's Trump's job to unite the country. Has he united the country or his base?

The offers for a compromise comes from the top, but olive branches and Trump are like oil and water. If the Dems bowed to his bullying at this point, they'd rightly be looked at as a current day Chamberlain...

None. Nor would I expect them to after the campaign he ran. That's my point. When you elect someone who campaigns on stomping the other party into the dirt, you elect someone who has put him or herself at a distinct negotiating disadvantage. It feels good to put your support behind a strong leader who can beat your enemies, but it is unwise to assume your fellow Americans are the enemies who need beating, because one day you might need their help.
The campaign he ran?

Why would you buy a ticket if you dont support its construction?

You caught my little subtly. Well done. :wink:

You're putting the horse before the cart. It's Trump's job to unite the country. Has he united the country or his base?

The offers for a compromise comes from the top, but olive branches and Trump are like oil and water. If the Dems bowed to his bullying at this point, they'd rightly be looked at as a current day Chamberlain...

Meeting Trump halfway and being the "bigger man" might even be a wise move for the Democrats. But the distaste that Democrats feel for that notion is directly on Donald Trump's shoulders. As angry as the right might be about the sulking democrats, their anger ought to be directed at themselves for electing a divisive pot-stirrer instead of a diplomat.

Just a passing thought here.

Rather than starting a go fund me page, which apparently csnt be used to fund the wall, I was thinking a national lottery might be better.

It basically amounts to a voluntary tax people self impose upon themselves. Make all proceeds go directly to the wall. That way the people can decide for themselves if they want a wall or not.

I'm wondering how something like that would be received by the country.

If the gofundme can't be used, has the money been refunded?

I think the wall is pointless, because it will just fall into ruin...

Yeah I know that. Not really seeing how he treated dems any worse than he was treated by them.

If a Democratic candidate had treated the Republicans as badly as Donald Trump treated them and won, then I would be saying the exact same thing about a Democratic president that couldn't get the Republicans to the negotiating table.

Just a passing thought here.

Rather than starting a go fund me page, which apparently csnt be used to fund the wall, I was thinking a national lottery might be better.

It basically amounts to a voluntary tax people self impose upon themselves. Make all proceeds go directly to the wall. That way the people can decide for themselves if they want a wall or not.

I'm wondering how something like that would be received by the country.

And if that lottery never raises the tens of billions needed, what happens to the money it DOES raise? Would everyone get their money back?

Any lottery is, IMO, a tax on people who aren't good at math. You Trumptards go right ahead, have a lottery, use GoFundMe, whatever. A fool and his money are soon parted, but I'm keeping mine.

I would approve of the idea as a compromise for Trump continuing the DACA program. All lotteries have a winner so the first prize should be an autograph and a photo op with Numtnuts...

You call that a prize? I'd rather have a tooth pulled.

Back
Top Bottom