• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A name for the Syria-Iraq-Kurds-ISIS-etc mess.

B

Belorussia SSR

So, I'm new to this forum and don't really know all the stuff talked about here.
The mixup and proxy wars in the Syria-Iraq region has caused dozens of casualties. However we are constantly separating the interventions of different countries, campaigns in certain parts of the area, between some loosely allied factions. I think, to simplify a lot of things, we need to give a clear, solid name for the entire conflict.
We can't call it Syrian Civil War since it includes Iraq. Not war on ISIS/ISIL cause it is also includes fights with radical Syrian Rebels and Al-Nusra, as well as the Kurds. We also can't call it an Intervention by ______, since the war has already been going on for many years in both countries. Finally, I don't think we can give it the prefix Iraqi-Syrian, since ISIS has territory in other nations, and both Turkey and Lebanon are involved in the war to some extent.
So... I'd really want to hear your opinions on this question and what you think the overall conflict in the region should be called!

By the way, I was unsure whether this should of gone in the military category or middle eastern category, so forgive me if this belongs elsewhere.

So, I'm new to this forum and don't really know all the stuff talked about here.
The mixup and proxy wars in the Syria-Iraq region has caused dozens of casualties. However we are constantly separating the interventions of different countries, campaigns in certain parts of the area, between some loosely allied factions. I think, to simplify a lot of things, we need to give a clear, solid name for the entire conflict.
We can't call it Syrian Civil War since it includes Iraq. Not war on ISIS/ISIL cause it is also includes fights with radical Syrian Rebels and Al-Nusra, as well as the Kurds. We also can't call it an Intervention by ______, since the war has already been going on for many years in both countries. Finally, I don't think we can give it the prefix Iraqi-Syrian, since ISIS has territory in other nations, and both Turkey and Lebanon are involved in the war to some extent.
So... I'd really want to hear your opinions on this question and what you think the overall conflict in the region should be called!

By the way, I was unsure whether this should of gone in the military category or middle eastern category, so forgive me if this belongs elsewhere.

За здароў'е. I think this belongs in a different forum. That is a tragic conflict. When things are heating up, we might call it an "Arab Summer."

Back
Top Bottom