• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A Lot at Stake in Iraq

Goobieman

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Boy, this just makes me want to get out of bed in the morning.

A Lot at Stake in Iraq
...I fear it could be worse than that the perception of impotence that galvanizes enemies. If we lost in Iraq and fled, it would not be the perception at all, but the reality of power that would be gone, in the sense the United States would never in our lifetime intervene successfully again on the ground abroad-convinced it would inevitably lose.

I think we are also close to seeing the permanent end of any Anglo-American military collaboration. And there would be legitimate questions raised also whether the U.S. military could win any future war—given the knowledge that, barring some instantaneous victory, the American public would not allow it the time or the latitude to destroy its enemies.

Instead, the blueprint for any further American involvement is the current investigations of Marines in Haditha, the hysteria over an Abu Ghraib, flushed Korans, Bible-quoting generals, and all the other media headline stories that drowned out what we were doing in Iraq. Al Jazeera might prove to be more powerful than the 101st Airborne not just through its shaping of public opinion in the Middle East-but far more here at home in scaring Americans with its power to shape public opinion in the Middle East.

When Mr. Bush contemplates what to do about Iran, he knows—and he knows Iran knows—that we are on the verge right now of a tired American public that winces at the very thought of the media storm, political fury, and wild partisan charges that would accompany any more military reactions. But the next step would be the complete loss of public confidence, in the fashion of the French, that we even could win a war if we had to. And then watch out. Great powers, like the largest animals, have a small central nervous system that directs their enormous limbs and sinews. And when it goes—call it public confidence in one's civilization—then armies tremor, enervate, and, Europe-like, wither away.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDM1ZmQ0YzI0NGM0YzIxN2YyNGVmN2RlNmE4OGFkNDU=

I would like to thank the anti-war left for the long term effects of their success in the PR war against the war. You may have finally achieved your goal of rendering impotent the United States.

Excellent work.

you have it all wrong. they support America. they support the troops. they are patriots.

:roll:

Goobieman said:
Boy, this just makes me want to get out of bed in the morning.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDM1ZmQ0YzI0NGM0YzIxN2YyNGVmN2RlNmE4OGFkNDU=

I would like to thank the anti-war left for the long term effects of their success in the PR war against the war. You may have finally achieved your goal of rendering impotent the United States.

Excellent work.

The article sounds just like the same stuff being said regarding withdrawal from Vietnam.

But I agree there will be consequences from the Bush Administration's stupid decision to start this war.

the concequences will come from the stupid decision to pull out, and allow the deaths of untold numbers of people.

AQ will controll Iraq, and they will have the democraps to thank for it.

ProudAmerican said:
the concequences will come from the stupid decision to pull out, and allow the deaths of untold numbers of people.

The stupid decision to invade has already allowed the deaths of untold numbers of people

AQ will controll Iraq, and they will have the democraps to thank for it.

There you go. Before the invasion Hussein was in control. As a result of Bush's stupid invasion, AQ will be in control, according to you.

Nice job, Bush.

The stupid decision to invade has already allowed the deaths of untold numbers of people

so you care about the dead ones, but dont care about the ones that will die.

nice logic.

There you go. Before the invasion Hussein was in control. As a result of Bush's stupid invasion, AQ will be in control, according to you.

as a result of the democraps stupid decision to pull out AQ will be in control.

you missunderstood me.

;)

The Middle east area has provided the seed for a spreading worldwide threat to the safety of people everywhere.

I am afraid of what will happen if we stay in Iraq.

I am afraid of what will happen if we leave Iraq.

So it seems to me that the only possible choice is which option causes the least problems.

IMHO, liberal (not democrat) actions are more dangerous to this country and the world than conservative (not republican) actions.

Back
Top Bottom