• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Liveral Rants on Obama(for Crunch)

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A Liberal Rants on Obama(for Crunch)

During the election last year, I was a diehard Clinton supporter. She lost, and has no one to blame but herself. I was disappointed, but Obama did look to be a decent consolation prize. Then the fun began...

First, we found out that Timothy Geithner was a tax cheat. In the words of Wiki:

At the Senate confirmation hearings, it was revealed that Geithner had not paid $35,000 in self-employment taxes for several years,[28] even though he had acknowledged his obligation to do so, and had filed a request for, and received, a payment for half the taxes owed. The failure to pay self-employment taxes, in part due to the way his employer reported his wages which was not in accordance with tax law, was noted during a 2006 audit by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), in which Geithner was assessed additional taxes of $14,847 for the 2003 and 2004 tax years. Geithner also failed to pay the self-employment taxes for the 2001 and 2002 tax years (for which the statute of limitations had expired) until after Obama expressed his intent to nominate Geithner to be Secretary of Treasury.[29] He also deducted the cost of his children's sleep-away camp as a dependent care expense, when only expenses for day care are eligible for the deduction.[30] Geithner subsequently paid the IRS the additional taxes owed,[31] and was charged $15,000 interest, but was not fined for late payment.[32] As President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Geithner annually completed an ethics statement noting any taxes due or unpaid, along with any other obligations. Geithner's completed statement did not surface during confirmation hearings.

Seriously, that was no accident, not "careless, avoidable and unintentional", this was flat out cheating on his taxes. Obama should have quickly pulled his nomination, but instead decided that it was somehow ok to have a tax cheat as Secretary of the Treasury. This was unacceptable, offensive, and started Obama off on the wrong foot.

Then came the stimulus package. I believed(and still do) that a stimulus package was important, but Obama had to try and be "bipartisan"(which he failed at), and the end result was a bill that was too big and too unfocused to do as much good as it could. And then he had to rush it through, so that no one had even read it all before it passed. That is just a ****ty way to do business. You should never spend nearly a trillion dollars without a real debate.

And now there is health care reform. I admit it is needed, but there are two key things to understand. One is that doing too much at once will cause as many or more problems as it solves. By trying to do it all at once, we are going to screw ourselves down the road. Secondly, it is important to remember that there is a time and a place for everything. When the economy is a disaster is probably the wrong time to do a large overhaul of health care. Wait a couple years, let the economy recover, cut spending elsewhere, then do the big stuff. If you don't have the votes to get it done then, oh well. Sometimes that is just how it goes.

If I could, I would like to offer some advice to President Obama.

Sir, remember who elected you? It was liberals. Don't worry about the conservatives, they ain't gunna vote for you anyway. We did vote for you, so how about you stop the whole "bipartisan" bit and do what we want. DADT in the military...get rid of it. Push congress to repeal DOMA. Make bigger strides in transparency in government. Reduce spending. Work to make the changes we want, and if the conservatives don't like it, well that is too damn bad.

You can be a great speaker, and you are a smart guy. So why are you making so many dumb choices. The whole Van Jones thing was overblown, but let's face it, any one looking at his past could see it was a controversy waiting to happen. Who was served by his appointment? No one. Stop giving the conservatives such easy ammunition.

I had high hopes for you sir. I hoped greatly that the fact you where the first black president would be just a footnote in your history, just as Kennedy being the first Catholic was a footnote to his presidency. Now I worry that being the first black president is going to be the only positive thing you are remembered for, and that would be a tragedy.

Last edited:
From the Top Rope !!

I wanted to give you a thanks, until I got to the last sentence. :2wave:
I don't worry that Obama won't accomplish anything positive, but I'm sure getting tired of him playing Charlie Brown to the GOP's Lucy.

:whothere:

I wanted to give you a thanks, until I got to the last sentence. :2wave:
I don't worry that Obama won't accomplish anything positive, but I'm sure getting tired of him playing Charlie Brown to the GOP's Lucy.

:whothere:

What is wrong with the last sentence? I am sure he will accomplish something positive, I think every president has. That won't make him more than below average though.

What is wrong with the last sentence? I am sure he will accomplish something positive, I think every president has. That won't make him more than below average though.

Nothing is wrong with it, I just don't agree with it :cool:

"Now I worry that being the first black president is going to be the only positive thing you are remembered for, and that would be a tragedy."

I do not worry that at all ...

btw, 'who there' smiley was in reference to Obama, not to you ;)

Back
Top Bottom