• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

a little problem with GOP "logic"

Striking down Roe does not impose any one-size-fits-all mandate on any state or person.
Correct.

But you were talking about "state by state patchwork" issues on subjects that liberals very clearly want a stricter, Federal solution. We don't want state-by-state environmental laws, because pollution doesn't care about state boundaries. We want a Federal EPA to protect us. We don't want a state-by-state patchwork on minimum wage, we want to raise the Federal minimum wage. We don't want patchwork marijuana laws, we want marijuana to just be legal nationwide.

Can you clarify what you were talking about?

Yes, of course. That would be the end game you hear everyone screeching about.
Where do you see abortion?
Now that you don't need a sterile operating room and a fancy vacuum machine, I see a huge black market operation involving the pills that will remove the fetus from you body. Count on it. Whenever there's tons of money to be made, some people are going to cash in.

Correct.

But you were talking about "state by state patchwork" issues on subjects that liberals very clearly want a stricter, Federal solution. We don't want state-by-state environmental laws, because pollution doesn't care about state boundaries. We want a Federal EPA to protect us. We don't want a state-by-state patchwork on minimum wage, we want to raise the Federal minimum wage. We don't want patchwork marijuana laws, we want marijuana to just be legal nationwide.

What I am talking about is that state laws can be either more restrictive or less restrictive than federal laws, but that decision is and should remain up to the several states.

Correct.

Why? Every place is not the same, cost of living varies from State to State.
Climate control issues, again why? Not every State has the same pollution rates.
Marijuana: I am not going to argue there as I feel like it should have been legalized long ago and taxed like tobacco or alcohol.
I'll let him clarify.

And then Roe is no longer the law of the land. What exactly are you looking for here?
I am looking for some measures that you see due to the end of Roe. d0gbreath posted one such.
If conservatives all over want to ban abortion, how many States to you see banning abortion?

I am looking for some measures that you see due to the end of Roe. d0gbreath posted one such.
If conservatives all over want to ban abortion, how many States to you see banning abortion?

I have no idea how many states with ban abortion, nor do I have any interest in speculating about it.

If Right-wingers were actually interested in reducing abortions in general they would have adopted a host of other policies before trying to take away the right to an abortion outright. Including embracing things like non-abstinence-only sex ed, expanding access to contraception, and allowing gay couples to adopt.

Whatever alternate explanation you have for the right's backwards-ass attitudes likely isn't going to impress, either. Stupidity and cruelty.

Always love this argument. How can you be against killing babies but also oppose democrat policy priorities?

Then why the chicken little act?

If nothing of consequence will come from this overturning, what are we arguing about?

Excuse me? Can you point to my "chicken little act"? I'd like to see it. Posts, please.

Excuse me? Can you point to my "chicken little act"? I'd like to see it. Posts, please.
I wasn't necessarily referring to you YOU, and more about what the media and this board has been on about for the past 2 days. I am sure you see all the postings and the chicken little acts all over.
If none of that was you, I am sure you've been criticizing all the hyperbole in those threads.

Or perhaps you were unaware of them all.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you YOU, and more about what the media and this board has been on about for the past 2 days. I am sure you see all the postings and the chicken little acts all over.
If none of that was you, I am sure you've been criticizing all the hyperbole in those threads.

Or perhaps you were unaware of them all.

I can think of an instance from yesterday when someone posted the words of Hillary Clinton and i said her words were too hyperbolic for me.

I have read many posts on here from people upset about the potential overturning of Roe, and most of them are making sound arguments.

I can think of an instance from yesterday when someone posted the words of Hillary Clinton and i said her words were too hyperbolic for me.

I have read many posts on here from people upset about the potential overturning of Roe, and most of them are making sound arguments.
Like what?

The cruelty is the point.

Ah, we must choose between "cruelty" to fetuses or cruelty to rights-endowed women? That's a no-brainer...which is why the GOP gets it wrong.

Yep, just as those on the left will shut up if (when?) their state passes more restrictive abortion laws. ;)

The left isn't calling for a variable set of human rights depending on which state they inhabit. Some things, like freedom of speech and privacy, are too important and obviously necessary to the pursuit of happiness to leave them to the states to dole out.

Back
Top Bottom