• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Liberals Attempt to Understand Conservative Beliefs

Todzilla

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
One of the main reasons I joined this forum is to better understand conservatives, particularly those who continue to support Mr. Trump.

Is it true Trump supporters believe:

• Mueller is driven primarily, if not solely by partisan motives
  • The intelligence community is in the bag for Democrats
  • Mr. Trump is getting rid of corruption in Washington
  • There is nothing wrong with wanting to retain business interests while being President
  • Even if Mr. Trump was negotiating a business deal with Russians while running for President, that's just business
  • America is now respected, no longer reviled as it was during the Obama Presidency
  • Mr. Trump's gut is superior to a bunch of climate nerd scientists' science
  • There's nothing wrong with getting along with Putin. As a matter of fact, it's a plus
  • Mr. Trump got the best of Kim Jong Un
  • There's nothing wrong with the ever changing positions Trump takes on the Mueller findings
  • Federal Election laws are a joke and breaking them is a "process crime."
  • Mr. Trump is "the least racist person there is" and a strong supporter of women
  • Mr. Trump hires the best people to be in his administration
  • Mr. Trump's transgressions, if real, are no worse than perpetrated by Democrats
  • The Democrats are influencing the justice department and intelligence community by setting "perjury traps" and pressuring people like Cohen, Papadapoulus, Flynn and others into making up fake stories that implicate Mr. Trump
  • Mr. Trump, as President, should never have to face legal charges

This is what I'm concluding are some of his supporters core beliefs. Trump supporters, am I correct? Did I leave anything out.

Conservatives like Trump because he triggers liberals. They don't care that he's incompetent and corrupt. It's that simple.

Conservatives like Trump because he triggers liberals. They don't care that he's incompetent and corrupt. It's that simple.

Anyone can trigger liberals with just a few words, it does not take a Trump to do it.

One of the main reasons I joined this forum is to better understand conservatives, particularly those who continue to support Mr. Trump.

• There is nothing wrong with wanting to retain business interests while being President
  • Even if Mr. Trump was negotiating a business deal with Russians while running for President, that's just business
  • America is now respected, no longer reviled as it was during the Obama Presidency
  • There's nothing wrong with getting along with Putin. As a matter of fact, it's a plus
  • There's nothing wrong with the ever changing positions Trump takes on the Mueller findings
  • Mr. Trump is "the least racist person there is" and a strong supporter of women
  • Mr. Trump's transgressions, if real, are no worse than perpetrated by Democrats
  • The Democrats are influencing the justice department and intelligence community by setting "perjury traps" and pressuring people like Cohen, Papadapoulus, Flynn and others into making up fake stories that implicate Mr. Trump

This is what I'm concluding are some of his supporters core beliefs. Trump supporters, am I correct? Did I leave anything out.

Yes much of your list is very accurate, from my assessment.

I still think most of them support him for the same reason that almost 1000 people guzzled cyanide-laced Kool Aid in the jungles on Guyana in 1978. Brainwashing.

Anyone can trigger liberals with just a few words, it does not take a Trump to do it.

More like: anyone can trigger a few liberals, to trigger them all takes Trump-like talent.

Yeah, like remember when liberals flipped their **** that JC Penny had two dudes in an ad?

More like: anyone can trigger a few liberals, to trigger them all takes Trump-like talent.

Like when all the liberals lost their minds that Starbucks used a plain red cup around Christmas time!

Yeah, that's sadly the real truth. Conservatives are largely insecure and uneducated people from the rural parts of the country. They see all these people they grew up with in high school going off to college and moving to the coasts while they mostly peaked in high school and never left. They believe that all these elitists with their fancy education, jobs, and lives all look down on them for never leaving, and need to find ways to convince themselves that their fear of the outside world is justified. That their little corner of the world is the greatest place on earth with the best people on earth. That their values are better than everyone else values and that no fancy education can make up for what they know to be true instinctively.

But just like insecure women, they gravitate towards strong dominate controlling asshole men who make them feel safe. They don't care that he's a bully so long as he's a bully for them and he's attacking people that they think to look down on them. They'll let him get away with anything so long as it's primarily directed at people that they perceive as an enemy to be feared which is essentially anybody outside their little hometown. Even when he kind of treated them like **** they make excuses for him under the assumption that he's only mean to them because he loves them.

Just like an insecure woman dating a ****ty man you can't explain it to them either. Admitting that they made a terribly stupid choice in supporting this man would be such a blow to their already fragile egos they simply can't do it. Every truth you point out about him just puts them in defense mode. They feel like they have to defend him in order to defend their choice, and that just digs them in deeper.

As sad as it is the two most deadly accurate ways to understand Trump supporters mentality is to look at insecure women dating ****ty abusive men, and alcoholics who can't admit they have a problem. The psychological similarities are staggeringly identical.

Anyone can trigger liberals with just a few words

So are you saying that Trump is a liberal? Because what exactly do you think is happening when he goes off on these late night twitter tirades? That's what being Triggered looks like. It's an involuntary and emotional response to stimuli that are difficult to control. Trump lets himself get triggered on a daily basis by every little negative thing that's said about him on Saturday Night Live. You just can't recognize it because you're triggered along with him.

Yeah, that's sadly the real truth. Conservatives are largely insecure and uneducated people from the rural parts of the country. They see all these people they grew up with in high school going off to college and moving to the coasts while they mostly peaked in high school and never left. They believe that all these elitists with their fancy education, jobs, and lives all look down on them for never leaving, and need to find ways to convince themselves that their fear of the outside world is justified. That their little corner of the world is the greatest place on earth with the best people on earth. That their values are better than everyone else values and that no fancy education can make up for what they know to be true instinctively.

But just like insecure women, they gravitate towards strong dominate controlling asshole men who make them feel safe. They don't care that he's a bully so long as he's a bully for them and he's attacking people that they think to look down on them. They'll let him get away with anything so long as it's primarily directed at people that they perceive as an enemy to be feared which is essentially anybody outside their little hometown. Even when he kind of treated them like **** they make excuses for him under the assumption that he's only mean to them because he loves them.

Just like an insecure woman dating a ****ty man you can't explain it to them either. Admitting that they made a terribly stupid choice in supporting this man would be such a blow to their already fragile egos they simply can't do it. Every truth you point out about him just puts them in defense mode. They feel like they have to defend him in order to defend their choice, and that just digs them in deeper.

As sad as it is the two most deadly accurate ways to understand Trump supporters mentality is to look at insecure women dating ****ty abusive men, and alcoholics who can't admit they have a problem. The psychological similarities are staggeringly identical.

Ahh yes, here we go again with the uneducated rural folks crap.
All we rural folk have to do is stop trucking food into your big cities,
that would quickly turn you liberals into sewer rats.

Any reason you address president trump as mr?
Do refer to any us president as mr?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Same reason people called Obama "B. Hussein Obama"

Perhaps because Trump is undeserving of the title, frankly.

To answer for myself.

Mueller is driven primarily, if not solely by partisan motives
No. I am not sure of his motive, but it doesn't appear objective. Partisan is defiantly not the issue. Maybe in the broadest terms protecting the establishment. Ben Shapiro has mused he just has seen so much dirt on the guy he feels him 'bad' even if not criminal by way of the investigation. Definitely possible, from all I know Muller seems like someone of good character, but that doesn't mean that's true either or he doesn't have skeltons.

The intelligence community is in the bag for Democrats
Politicalized members, but again it's more about the political establishment which only became an issue once Trump won the nomination. If Jeb verse Hillary most certainly not.

Do you know the % of our congressional candidates with backgrounds with the intelligence services? It's far above average. What about the statements[e.g. twitter feeds] by the old officials today? Do they seem apolitical?

Mr. Trump is getting rid of corruption in Washington
Indirectly. He is exposing it. He doesn't embrace it which is a good start. It hurts him too though as he alienates key allies. Politics is grey and he is no church boy, but we are better than pre-trump levels certianly.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to retain business interests while being President
Its concerning and would be more so if the media wasn't willing to report on conflicts. Overall though no being a business man should not prevent one from being president or holding public office. I'd rather a Perot but it took a Trump.

I also would note I have a far bigger concerns with how many millionaires there are, who are so because they were politicians. This is a large part of my growing distrust of the "establishment". A common feeling on both sides.

Even if Mr. Trump was negotiating a business deal with Russians while running for President, that's just business
Not on the face.Trump does lots of deals. The degree could be such that it becomes concerning.

America is now respected, no longer reviled as it was during the Obama Presidency
That's complicated, but certainly more respected in the sense of being America instead of a member of the Globalist community.

Mr. Trump's gut is superior to a bunch of climate nerd scientists' science
In short "no is gut is not superior in the slightest"; however,

Public climate change policies do not have a solid record and often do more harm than good. The aim often don't even qualify as meaningful success. It's a discussion and trump could easily be on the wrong side of it. The idea though that its just climate warriors verses denies isn't true outside some town hall.

One sides for the most part is virtue singling and the otherwise is skeptical and confused as to what to do. Climate change is an important and very difficult problem and I respect trump choosing to get out of the way. Our record still improves year to year as it is about people and their choices not government. And people do care and the science gets to be heard.

As for his choice of messaging, it's the way trump speaks and it got him where he is. So awesome. I am not going to fault him.

There's nothing wrong with getting along with Putin. As a matter of fact, it's a plus
True. Of course within reason Putin is no ally.

Mr. Trump got the best of Kim Jong Un
South Korea is very happy and we're not at war. Un got undeserved legitmency true, but the old policy wasn't working. So we adopted a new one. Could change on a dime. We'll see. Trump loves you or hate you so I'd trust him not to hesitate if the tides do turn.

There's nothing wrong with the ever changing positions Trump takes on the Mueller findings
I don't even care if you say lie, to date his statements are consistent with an innocent person. I personally say his "fibs" though as his intentions tend to be marketing/hyperbole rather than for deceptional gain, but that is obviously controversial.

Last edited:
Federal Election laws are a joke and breaking them is a "process crime."
Within the context of the allegations yes it is not an equal application of the law and thus unenforceable or rectified via fine as there is no intent.

This is like, I don't deny speeding is against the law or worth monitoring/enforcing. I make the distinction between one going 10 mph over and one 60 mph over.

Mr. Trump is "the least racist person there is" and a strong supporter of women
Least realtive to whom? Yes in general he is very good in this space.

Mr. Trump hires the best people to be in his administration
No

Mr. Trump's transgressions, if real, are no worse than perpetrated by Democrats
Definitely

The Democrats are influencing the justice department and intelligence community by setting "perjury traps" and pressuring people like Cohen, Papadapoulus, Flynn and others into making up fake stories that implicate Mr. Trump
Again the political establishment not democrats but yes.

Mr. Trump, as President, should never have to face legal charges
Not if this was a politicalize attack started by his enemies with no underlying crime. A case of "show me the person, I'll show you the crime" must be stopped.
If however one can name a crime than investigate to prove it. I easily could revisit this postion. No one wants a crimnal mobbish president[e.g Putin].

All we rural folk have to do is stop trucking food into your big cities,
that would quickly turn you liberals into sewer rats.

Sure, but you can't because you'd all go poor and die. Wealthy banks would simply start foreclosing on your farms, liberals would buy them and produce their own organic food. We're the ones making most of the money and buying up all your goods remember?

The thing is, people like yourself think we look down on you because you're uneducated and rural. We don't. We look down on you because you vote for disgusting pieces of **** like Trump who are actually the cause of virtually all your problems. We look down on you because rather than admit you've been swindled and confirm how poorly educated you are you'd rather dig yourself into an even bigger hole to protect your fragile ego. Just admit that you made a mistake and we'd gladly help you.

Everyone needs a little help sometimes. People who are self-confident understand that and aren't afraid to admit it. That's why so many wealthy corporations have no problem taking corporate welfare while poorer more rural Americans refuse things like food stamps and health care subsidies no matter how desperately you need it. You say you want a job not a handout because you're too proud to admit that your skills aren't actually worth very much.

It's okay to admit that you need help, and we're not judging you for taking it. We want to help you because we know that getting you back on sound financial footing is good for the country overall even if we have to use our wealth to subsidize your life choices a little bit. We don't think rural people are foolish because they need help, we think they are foolish because they refuse to accept help no matter how badly they obviously need it.

I don't know what drives Mueller personally, but I believe his investigation is based on various partisan motives.​

No, but some members of the intelligence community during the current and previous administrations are in the bag against Trump.​

He's trying. It's very hard to do. He could probably try harder but it won't get done any quicker and it'll cost political capital. He is picking and choosing his battles.​

I don't agree with that statement. There may or may not be anything wrong. I'll leave it up to others to decide.​

Not only that, but he was a private citizen at that time. Last I heard it is legal for a private citizen to negotiate business deals. (as long as they comply with the law)​

America is respected by some...not by others. The individuals and countries may have changed, but that's pretty much how it was under Obama, too.​

Trump listens to and gets information from a variety of sources...as he should. He then makes his own decisions. That's pretty much what everybody does. That doesn't make anyone superior to anyone else.​

Sure. I agree with that. As long as my priorities stay with what's best for the US.​

The jury is still out. But the fact that Rocket Man is working closely with Moon Jae-in is encouraging.​

In the beginning, when Trump thought Mueller was going to run an honest investigation, Trump supported his investigation. He didn't like it. Didn't think it was necessary. But he thought it would verify his contention of no collusion. But when it became clear that that wasn't Mueller's intention or purpose, Trump changed his position to fully opposing the investigation. I see nothing wrong with that.​

Don't be ridiculous. I don't know of anyone...liberal or conservative...who believes that.​

I don't fully agree with this statement. He is not racist and he is a strong supporter of women.​

• *continued

*continued

[*]Mr. Trump hires the best people to be in his administration

He hires the best people and when they don't measure up to his requirements he doesn't hesitate to fire them and try to find someone better.​

[*]Mr. Trump's transgressions, if real, are no worse than perpetrated by Democrats

How about we deal with what's real. Talking about hypotheticals, based on speculation, is fun for a lot of people but I don't base my positions on that kind of stuff.​

[*]The Democrats are influencing the justice department and intelligence community by setting "perjury traps" and pressuring people like Cohen, Papadapoulus, Flynn and others into making up fake stories that implicate Mr. Trump

Essentially true, though it's not just "Democrats" and it's not just someone "influencing the justice department and intelligence community" and it's not just about "perjury traps". It is all of that AND a lot of other stuff. To "implicate Mr. Trump" is just part of it.​

[*]Mr. Trump, as President, should never have to face legal charges

I don't agree, however, I don't think a sitting President should be able to be indicted...no matter who that President is.​
[/LIST]

I don't presume to speak for "Trump supporters". I can only speak for myself.

If anything, you put way too much nonsense in there. I can only surmise that you've been immersed in the Trump hating media and their echo chamber for far too long.

Hopefully, I've helped you.

Sure, but you can't because you'd all go poor and die. Wealthy banks would simply start foreclosing on your farms, liberals would buy them and produce their own organic food. We're the ones making most of the money and buying up all your goods remember?

The thing is, people like yourself think we look down on you because you're uneducated and rural. We don't. We look down on you because you vote for disgusting pieces of **** like Trump who are actually the cause of virtually all your problems. We look down on you because rather than admit you've been swindled and confirm how poorly educated you are you'd rather dig yourself into an even bigger hole to protect your fragile ego. Just admit that you made a mistake and we'd gladly help you.

Everyone needs a little help sometimes. People who are self-confident understand that and aren't afraid to admit it. That's why so many wealthy corporations have no problem taking corporate welfare while poorer more rural Americans refuse things like food stamps and health care subsidies no matter how desperately you need it. You say you want a job not a handout because you're too proud to admit that your skills aren't actually worth very much.

It's okay to admit that you need help, and we're not judging you for taking it. We want to help you because we know that getting you back on sound financial footing is good for the country overall even if we have to use our wealth to subsidize your life choices a little bit. We don't think rural people are foolish because they need help, we think they are foolish because they refuse to accept help no matter how badly they obviously need it.

I retired before I turned 58. I've acquired all the "toys" and necessities I need to keep me happy and content, ie: nice home and large property, exotic sports car, more firearms than I'll ever need, etc.
Not bad for an uneducated rural hick, huh? What about you?
Oh, and about that organic food, Who's gonna teach you how to farm? That's a lot of work, you know...

They're all things Trump has stated he believes. And Trump is a Trump supporter. So you have accurately described at least one Trump supporter.

It is kind of funny when you think about it. People tend to be a little taken aback when you refer to presidents as “Mr” like Mr Obama or Mr Trump. Yet dropping the prefix altogether and calling them just by their last name is just fine. Obama did this or Trump did that.

When I was in the Army that was how we addressed our peers and subordinates in informal settings.

There is a parable of six blind men and an elephant.

1.The first blind man put out his hand and touched the side of the elephant. “How smooth! An elephant is like a wall.”
2.The second blind man put out his hand and touched the trunk of the elephant. “How round! An elephant is like a snake.”
3.The third blind man put out his hand and touched the tusk of the elephant. “How sharp! An elephant is like a spear.”
4.The fourth blind man put out his hand and touched the leg of the elephant. “How tall! An elephant is like a tree.”
5.The fifth blind man reached out his hand and touched the ear of the elephant. “How wide! An elephant is like a fan.”
6.The sixth blind man put out his hand and touched the tail of the elephant. “How thin! An elephant is like a rope.”

I see this as a metaphor of liberals trying to describe conservatives. All grabbing a piece and declaring with absolute of what it is by just that piece - all wrong because they are unable to see the entirety of what it is.

It is kind of funny when you think about it. People tend to be a little taken aback when you refer to presidents as “Mr” like Mr Obama or Mr Trump. Yet dropping the prefix altogether and calling them just by their last name is just fine. Obama did this or Trump did that.

When I was in the Army that was how we addressed our peers and subordinates in informal settings.

...unless they were within hearing distance :yes:

I see this as a metaphor of liberals trying to describe conservatives. All grabbing a piece and declaring with absolute of what it is by just that piece - all wrong because they are unable to see the entirety of what it is.

Have you ever turned this sort of reflection onto conservatives trying to describe liberals?

Conaeolos,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I won't go into each detail, since my main goal was to cover the points as I saw them. You've articulated the whole "The Establishment (whatever that is) is EvilCorp" theory pretty well, but I'm baffled at Trump as Eliot Alderson.

Within the context of the allegations yes it is not an equal application of the law and thus unenforceable or rectified via fine as there is no intent.

This is like, I don't deny speeding is against the law or worth monitoring/enforcing. I make the distinction between one going 10 mph over and one 60 mph over.

Least realtive to whom? Yes in general he is very good in this space.

No

Definitely

Again the political establishment not democrats but yes.

Not if this was a politicalize attack started by his enemies with no underlying crime. A case of "show me the person, I'll show you the crime" must be stopped.
If however one can name a crime than investigate to prove it. I easily could revisit this postion. No one wants a crimnal mobbish president[e.g Putin].

Back
Top Bottom