• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A liberal says that liberals should do more to end racism

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This morning I just happened to read an online article at USA TODAY.

The title is "White progressives shouldn't be smug about racism. We could be doing much more to end it" by Tom Krattenmaker.

He points out that although progressives always say the right things, their actions are another matter.

He believes that progressives should be more willing to live in integrated neighborhoods, send their children to integrated schools, and attend integrated churches.

He also believes that "white privilege" still exists.

He points out that in some suburban areas of Pennsylvania, progressives have put up signs on their lawns that proclaim: "Hate Has No Home Here." He points out that 95% of those areas are Caucasian.

He is gently and lovingly chiding his fellow liberals for not actually living more ethnically integrated lives. As he puts it, progressives should put their money where their mouths are.

The title is "White progressives shouldn't be smug about racism. We could be doing much more to end it" by Tom Krattenmaker.

He points out that although progressives always say the right things, their actions are another matter.

He believes that progressives should be more willing to live in integrated neighborhoods, send their children to integrated schools, and attend integrated churches.

He points out that in some suburban areas of Pennsylvania, progressives have put up signs on their lawns that proclaim: "Hate Has No Home Here." He points out that 95% of those areas are Caucasian.

He is gently and lovingly chiding his fellow liberals for not actually living more ethnically integrated lives. As he puts it, progressives should put their money where their mouths are.

Nothing wrong with that. We can all do better.

So what part of the article do you disagree with?

Most all Americans do live in integrated neighborhoods, attend integrated churches, and send their kids to integrated schools. I’m all for walking the walk (and do), but it seems to me that Krattenmaker is just preaching “white guilt”.

Most all Americans do live in integrated neighborhoods, attend integrated churches, and send their kids to integrated schools.

That is not my impression, but you may be correct.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
So what part of the article do you disagree with?

As a newbie, I have noticed that many members (and probably guests, too) have a great interest in alleged racism in this country.

So I thought that they would like to know about that author's opinion on that controversial topic.

I do not wish to express my opinion on what he opined. (I feel that it would be a waste of time since everyone is set in his/her ways. Few people are willing to reconsider their cherished beliefs.)

Best wishes!

As a newbie, I have noticed that many members (and probably guests, too) have a great interest in alleged racism in this country.

So I thought that they would like to know about that author's opinion on that controversial topic.

I do not wish to express my opinion on what he opined. (I feel that it would be a waste of time since everyone is set in his/her ways. Few people are willing to reconsider their cherished beliefs.)

Best wishes!

Without an opinion by you - the OP author, your thread is little more than bait.

Most all Americans do live in integrated neighborhoods, attend integrated churches, and send their kids to integrated schools. I’m all for walking the walk (and do), but it seems to me that Krattenmaker is just preaching “white guilt”.

My church is integrated, but not my neighborhood. There's still a lot of housing segregation in East Tennessee. There were even some cross burnings in the Knoxville area about 20 years ago. On the other hand, I see a lot of bi-racial families now. There has been progress, though it is uneven. Old habits die hard.

Best wishes!

So if you're not going to let folks know your views on it and everyone is set in their ways (your claim, not mine) why even post it?

Without an opinion by you - the OP author, your thread is little more than bait.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I feel that a forum is meant not only for members' opinions but also for information that may interest other members (and guests).

Best wishes

So if you're not going to let folks know your views on it and everyone is set in their ways (your claim, not mine) why even post it?

Please see post #10.

Best wishes

Please see post #10.

Best wishes

Makes no sense, you posted this in the "General Political DISCUSSION" forum. If you aren't willing to discuss, why post it here then?

See, it is a good practice to actually link to an article if you are going to reference it. That way you cannot get away with misrepresenting what the article says.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/11/29/white-progressives-signs-bumper-stickers-wont-end-racism-column/2136351002/

White progressives like me can usually be counted on to call out racism on Facebook. Unlike Fox News commentator Tucker Carlson, we consider the nation’s growing diversity a strength. We assure ourselves we would never discriminate against a black, Latino or Asian job applicant at our workplaces. We proudly display “Hate Has No Home Here” signs on our lawns and “Fight Racism” bumper stickers on our cars.

It might appear we’re the good ones when it comes to race. And, relative to a lot of people on the other side of the aisle, we are.

But the uncomfortable truth is that we are not as woke as we tell ourselves and don’t go nearly as far as we could to undo racism. As the country argues over race amid travesties such as the police killing E.J. Bradfordat an Alabama mall, and Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith blithely saying she'd attend a public hanging in a state with a history of lynchings, white progressives are compelled to match our words with action in confronting the nation’s original and most pernicious sin.

My church is integrated, but not my neighborhood. There's still a lot of housing segregation in East Tennessee. There were even some cross burnings in the Knoxville area about 20 years ago. On the other hand, I see a lot of bi-racial families now. There has been progress, though it is uneven. Old habits die hard.
I’m also from the South and understand what you’re saying. There are still those who hold onto old, prejudiced viewpoints. Sad fact is there will always be prejudism in America and everywhere else. However, by law and by choice the majority have been moving forward for decades. Wherever there is segregation in America now it is no longer by law. Not withstanding socioeconomic factors, people choose where they live, go to pray, and go to school. So when folks like Krattenmaker say we need to do more with respect to integration I can’t help but wonder what they’re doing. My guess is that Krattenmaker probably lives in at least an upper middle class neighborhood and his kids go to good schools. Nothing at all wrong with that. We owe our families the best that we can provide for them, and if that causes us to choose certain places to live, etc., there is no reason feel guilt.

An informative article worth reading: https://www.washingtonpost.com

It was a silly article with a silly premise.

The OP points to Liberals not putting their money into fighting racism by the tiny number of enclaves that exist that are 90%+ white.

There are areas all over the country that are having problems with gentrification.

Young non-color conscience libs are moving into "distressed" areas and upgrading homes. changing the neighborhood and bringing in higher property tax rates.

Nice try but will not happen. I know from meeting them, most racists are taught to be racists while practically still in diapers.

Well anything that addresses liberals, conservatives etc as a whole is stupid and faulted from the very beginning

after that I dont fully agree with it. We can all do better left right and center, that general part is true but certain things cant be forced. Black people are a minority by definition and making things integrated isnt always easy when there are only so many black people to go around. So i wouldn't put it on the liberals or the conservatives as a group regardless. I put it on those that are against equal rights, that are bigots and try to maintain separations for no other reason than their racism and deny that racism/white privileged etc exist or isnt really an issue.

But also I guess it would depend on how one defines "integration" would the presence of at least one black student/church member/neighbor/co worker mean integrated?
Does just the absence of segregation laws mean integrated?

anybody that views it that simple simple doesnt understand reality and the issue. They arent at fault just saying its not that simple.

It was a silly article with a silly premise.

The OP points to Liberals not putting their money into fighting racism by the tiny number of enclaves that exist that are 90%+ white.

There are areas all over the country that are having problems with gentrification.

Young non-color conscience libs are moving into "distressed" areas and upgrading homes. changing the neighborhood and bringing in higher property tax rates.

The thing is, I cannot blame any one for wanting to live in a good neighborhood, and doing so. That those neighborhoods are mostly white is not a consideration for most, only that they have good schools, safe, etc. What should be the goal is that people of all races should be able to afford those nice neighborhoods with equal likelihood. Then those neighborhoods will become more diverse. Telling some one they should move themselves and their kids to a bad neighborhood is a fools errand.

well you just proved you arent from this country lol

No, they do not

unless of course you very very loosely define integration as just having one black student, co worker, church member, neighbor and even that isnt true in many many areas of the us.
But also alot of that is also pure math .. minorities are minorities based on math .. . they simply cant be everywhere

Now i dont fully agree with the op but your statement simply isnt true unless its referring to the absence of segregation laws and nothing else.

We can all do better right left and center but integration cant be forced simply based on numbers but we could all be better at it . . but it isnt going to rank high to most people. General family is going to rank higher meaning most people wont take a lesser job to make sure a minority works there in areas where there really arent any etc etc

Now diversity is something i look for in a company because its very important and very telling but my area allows me to do that . . at times though I have been the only minority working for a company and at other times i have been one of many.

... your statement simply isnt true unless its referring to the absence of segregation laws and nothing else.
My statement is true because it is based on facts.

My statement is true because it is based on facts.

what facts?
the one i already point out simply because segregation laws don't exist any more?
you claimed most all churches and schools and neighborhoods have one black person in them, please list those facts now thanks

what facts?
the one i already point out simply because segregation laws don't exist any more?
you claimed most all churches and schools and neighborhoods have one black person in them, please list those facts now thanks
Personalize much? I did not specify any particular minority. As for facts, I’ve already provide a reference in post #14.

what facts?

I just looked at his posts and didn't see him say that.

We live where we do because we love our house and our property. We have good access to major roads and airports. What does racism have to do with anything? People live where it works for them for many reasons.

Nobody cares about others telling them where they should and shouldn't live.

Personalize much? I did not specify any particular minority. As for facts, I’ve already provide a reference in post #14.

Make up strawmen much, pick any minority I will ask you AGAIN

what facts?
you claimed most all churches and schools and neighborhoods have one MINORITY person in them, please list those facts now thanks

Back
Top Bottom