• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Liberal Finally Grows Up

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Pamela Constable at the Washington Post:

I rejected my parents’ WASP values. Now I see we need them more than ever.

Visiting home ..., I found myself noticing and appreciating things I had always taken for granted — the tamed greenery and smooth streets, the absence of fear and abundance of choice, the code of good manners and civilized discussion. I also began to learn things about my parents I had never known and to realize that I had judged them unfairly. I had confused their social discomfort with condescension and their conservatism with callousness....

In March 2013, Dad passed away at 96; my mother followed him at 97. I was relieved that they had not lived to see their party’s new standard-bearer hurling vulgar taunts and whipping up xenophobic crowds, or to witness the rout of the rational, civilized conservative norms that had defined their lives and guided public policy for a century.

Yeah, grew up; if only so that she could criticize current day Republicans and Trump supporters.

As a spear carrier in the war to fundamentally transform American culture Pamela doesn't get to say, “What happened?! Why aren’t there any mild-mannered patrician Republicans left?”

Those who killed civility don't get to mourn its passing or appeal to it in any way. That's for those who actually appreciated and tried to maintain civility.

Yeah, grew up; if only so that she could criticize current day Republicans and Trump supporters.

As a spear carrier in the war to fundamentally transform American culture Pamela doesn't get to say, “What happened?! Why aren’t there any mild-mannered patrician Republicans left?”

Those who killed civility don't get to mourn its passing or appeal to it in any way. That's for those who actually appreciated and tried to maintain civility.

This reminds me of a story I heard about Indian elephant populations a while back. Supposedly, PTSD is causing elephant herds which endure poaching to "evolve" to include very aggressive members that hold long standing grudges. The more elephants that are poached, the fewer congenial elephants remain because they are weaker than aggressive elephants and more vulnerable to being poached.

I guess Republicans are just going through a phase, like their mascot.

Elephant Rage

Yep, the politicians that pander to BLM are so much more civilized and sage. ;)

What exactly are "WASP values"?

Yeah, if only we could go back to the oh-so-civil 1950's when it was legal to segregate schools and restaurants and parks and drinking fountains, huh? Yeah, it was really SO much more civil then, when the blacks were out of sight and out of mind, huh?

And then came the Civil Rights struggle, which FORCED Goldwater to reject the Civil Rights Act, and FORCED Nixon to adopt the "Southern Strategy" to attract the racists of the South and turn the Deep South from blue to red, and FORCED the GOP to reject the Voting Rights Act in lockstep only two years after they'd reauthorized it in lockstep (the only difference being that a black guy had just gotten elected to the White House).

Yeah, if only the blacks and those white liberals had not stood up for equal rights for blacks, America would be SO much more civil, huh?

And y'all wonder how y'all lost the minority vote....

What exactly are "WASP values"?

Glory, gold and God, to name a few. The entire neighborhood painting their shutters the same color and mowing the grass to a uniform height is a good example.

The degrees of freedom to act separately from one's community decrease as the level of homogeneity increases, so WASP's have a creed of religion and race, as well as loosely related heritage, which makes the community into a tightly woven collection of families. :twocents:

Yeah, if only we could go back to the oh-so-civil 1950's when it was legal to segregate schools and restaurants and parks and drinking fountains, huh? Yeah, it was really SO much more civil then, when the blacks were out of sight and out of mind, huh?

And then came the Civil Rights struggle, which FORCED Goldwater to reject the Civil Rights Act, and FORCED Nixon to adopt the "Southern Strategy" to attract the racists of the South and turn the Deep South from blue to red, and FORCED the GOP to reject the Voting Rights Act in lockstep only two years after they'd reauthorized it in lockstep (the only difference being that a black guy had just gotten elected to the White House).

Yeah, if only the blacks and those white liberals had not stood up for equal rights for blacks, America would be SO much more civil, huh?

And y'all wonder how y'all lost the minority vote....

Yes, and things are so much better now...

yes yes they are

LOL! It's good to see optimism in the middle of a hot summer while the police are being shot in the streets for trying to do their jobs and we are presented with a choice for president between the she-crook of corruption, lies, and theft and a purblind mountebank and charlatan. Groups of Americans divide themselves off from the the country and concoct lies and distortions to justify their irrational anger, lash out violently at the rest of us, and further increase the divides within our society. It gives one such warm and fuzzy feelings about the current times.

There are some significant differences between the '50s and the '60s and now when it comes, for example, to civil rights movements for blacks. The biggest one is that in the '50s and '60s a majority of whites supported black civil rights. In the current times most whites do not support the BLM movement because they see it as irrational and unwarranted, and BLM isn't winning them over with their antics (nor do they even seem to realize that they need to win support).

There is no guarantee that America will survive. We could end up like Venezuela if we're not careful. In fact, there's no one that Hillary resembles so much in terms of ideology as Hugo Chavez.

LOL! It's good to see optimism in the middle of a hot summer while the police are being shot in the streets for trying to do their jobs and we are presented with a choice for president between the she-crook of corruption, lies, and theft and a purblind mountebank and charlatan. Groups of Americans divide themselves off from the the country and concoct lies and distortions to justify their irrational anger, lash out violently at the rest of us, and further increase the divides within our society. It gives one such warm and fuzzy feelings about the current times.

There are some significant differences between the '50s and the '60s and now when it comes, for example, to civil rights movements for blacks. The biggest one is that in the '50s and '60s a majority of whites supported black civil rights. In the current times most whites do not support the BLM movement because they see it as irrational and unwarranted, and BLM isn't winning them over with their antics (nor do they even seem to realize that they need to win support).

There is no guarantee that America will survive. We could end up like Venezuela if we're not careful. In fact, there's no one that Hillary resembles so much in terms of ideology as Hugo Chavez.

Rose-tinted history is always amusing.

I wasn't around during the 50s or 60s but it seems to me if the majority of white people supported civil rights then it wouldn't have been such a struggle to get them. They had to have the national guard on hand to protect children from entering school the first time they desegregated it so that tells a person how exactly it was.

Back
Top Bottom