• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Humanism Review

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
“Humanism is simply an ethical and philosophical viewpoint that sees individuals having the freedom to choose their own values and goals. Humanism emphasizes common human needs and seeks rational ways of solving human problems. In this way, Humanism utilizes scientific methods as well as the fact-based findings of the various sciences.

“As a broad ethical outlook, humanism involves no sectarian divisions or strife, no supernaturalism, no taboos, no food and dress codes, no restrictive sexual morality other than what is implicit in the demand to treat others with respect, consideration and kindness.”

“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.”

“The philosophy of humanism isn’t the result of putting humans on the pedestal once occupied by gods; it results from the realization that the gods won’t save us, so we’d better save ourselves. Humanism is not about making ourselves sacred; it’s about us taking responsibility—for animals and the planet as well as ourselves.”

“A system of thought which assigns a predominant interest to the affairs of man as compared with the supernatural and which believes man capable of controlling those affairs. It therefore holds that the chief end of human life is to work for the happiness of man upon this earth and within the confines of the Nature that is his home.”

“Its origins can be glimpsed in early Greek philosophy, especially in efforts to develop a theoretical philosophical and scientific outlook on nature, in its emphasis on human rationality, and in its conviction that the good life can be achieved through the exercise of human powers and the fulfillment of human nature.”

“Confucius (551-479BC) was more concerned with ethics than with mysticism.”

In the end, all the humanists will be clubbed to death by marauding gangs of post-apocalyptic nomadic biker dudes.

The future warm earth will be teaming with cockroaches, mosquitoes, and of course, the steampunk bikers. No Thanks.

the only part of the Op that I disagree with is this
"“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.” There is a rather large gap between not believing in the existence of God at all (an atheist), and someone not believing in the existence of an involved, interested and proactive deity or deities now who currently meddle in our lives, or our planet. I submit there is nothing inconsistent between being a humanist, and theist as long as that theist does not see an activist deity or 'fate' taking our decision- making power away from us.

"“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.” There is a rather large gap between not believing in the existence of God at all (an atheist), and someone not believing in the existence of an involved, interested and proactive deity or deities now who currently meddle in our lives, or our planet. I submit there is nothing inconsistent between being a humanist, and theist as long as that theist does not see an activist deity or 'fate' taking our decision- making power away from us.

Then what would be the point of such an entity? What would it’s purpose be?

Think of it such a deity as exploring a new management position in a different part of the universe, or maybe having retired entirely from active work. In either case its arrogant to presume this God has to show us its value and purpose on earth, to hold any.

Think of it such a deity as exploring a new management position in a different part of the universe, or maybe having retired entirely from active work. In either case its arrogant to presume this God has to show us its value and purpose on earth, to hold any.
I think the nonexistence of gods is covered by the part about no supernaturalism.

"“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.”
When I read that, all I see is an inference that atheists who are NOT "Humanists" are living lives that are immoral and have no purpose.

Humanism sounds like a great philosophy! I don’t understand why everyone is not a Humanist.

“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.

Humanism may be a philosophy, but it is no surprise that mankind would want to pursue living a moral life.
Man is created in the image of God. Whether atheist or not.

Theists can be humanists in many ways.

Humanism sounds like a great philosophy! I don’t understand why everyone is not a Humanist.
Because not everyone is capable of rational thought. This sad truth is demonstrated daily in DP, where some posters communicate only in repetitive abuse.

“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.

Humanism may be a philosophy, but it is no surprise that mankind would want to pursue living a moral life.
That's nice. Prove it!

I suppose 1 reason is because people like the emotional or psychological comfort believing in being God's special friend brings them.

Demonstrate this claim. Start by providing verifiable objective evidence of this supposed “god”.

When I read that, all I see is an inference that atheists who are NOT "Humanists" are living lives that are immoral and have no purpose.
That's right. Godless Heathens as reprobates, man-whores, wastrels, and villains as well! But I was raised a secular humanist - atheist so I was saved and redeemed from the very lowest wrung of the atheist/theist morality ladder. Not better than Jews, Christians, Muslims , Zoroastrians, Vodun, Waaqeffanna, Dayawists, Shinto, Jains, Mami Wata, Satanists, Raelists, Aum Shinrikyo, jediists or even these fine god-fearing people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Euthanasia with all four of its pillars : suicide, abortion, cannibalism (of the already dead), and sodomy, but we are all higher up the morality/decency scale than non humanist atheists!

Not sure about non humanist atheists compared to Church of Euthanasia cannibals who eat the living, coherent people as sacrifices, during their church services. That wrung of the theist/atheist morality ladder may have broken off from overuse and weight as everyone else climbed up.

Last edited:

Actually, what is arrogant is to proclaim a “God” without an iota of evidence to support that claim, as you are now doing. There is no reason whatsoever to think that your particular “God” is anything other than imaginary, just like every other God ever offered up in human history. Nor is your claim of this particular God not necessarily wanting to be known in any way original. Lots of others have offered that idea for their particular gods, and it always seems like nothing more than an excuse not to have to provide any objective, reality-based evidence for said “God”. Do you have any evidence at all for your God?

Actually, what is arrogant is to proclaim a “God” without an iota of evidence to support that claim, as you are now doing. There is no reason whatsoever to think that your particular “God” is anything other than imaginary, just like every other God ever offered up in human history. Nor is your claim of this particular God not necessarily wanting to be known in any way original. Lots of others have offered that idea for their particular gods, and it always seems like nothing more than an excuse not to have to provide any objective, reality-based evidence for said “God”. Do you have any evidence at all for your God?
LOl. You are taking this seriously aren't you? I am an agnostic atheist humanist. I just see it amusing looking at all the possibilities whether 'original' or not. 'Possibilities' do not rise to the level of a claim for the existence of a God, and do not as such rise to a belief in any, and thus require no evidence. An indifferent, 'otherwise occupied' or retired deity is rather a different idea than one that simply does not exist, even if the general effect on all of us whether we are atheists or theists by belief, ends up exactly the same.

Those versions of 'God' might just prefer we not have any evidence of him as a misanthropic hermit prefers not to leave a mailing address or driveway or even a beer can or cigarette butt, tiptoing along the forest floor trying to wipe out his footprints in the mud, that we not pray or disturb, or trouble him.

Remember I specifically left every other sentence you wrote, unchallenged and supported. Sir, basically I like what you submitted in the OP. As my son would say, Watsup, you need to 'chillax'!

Last edited:

That is a misinterpretation. All that it really says is that some atheists accept the term Humanism to describe their particular ethical structure. That does not mean that other atheists do not have an ethical structure (as they probably do), but merely that they choose not to call it by the term “Humanism”.

LOl. You are taking this seriously aren't you? I am an agnostic atheist humanist. I just see it amusing looking at all the possibilities whether 'original' or not. 'Possibilities' do not rise to the level of a claim for the existence of a God, and do not as such rise to a belief in any, and thus require no evidence. An indifferent, 'otherwise occupied' or retired deity is rather a different idea than one that simply does not exist, even if the general effect on all of us whether we are atheists or theists by belief, ends up exactly the same.

Those versions of 'God' might just prefer we not have any evidence of him as a misanthropic hermit prefers not to leave a mailing address or driveway or even a beer can or cigarette butt, tiptoing along the forest floor trying to wipe out his footprints in the mud, that we not pray or disturb, or trouble him.

Remember I specifically left every other sentence you wrote, unchallenged and supported. Sir, basically I like what you submitted in the OP. As my son would say, Watsup, you need to 'chillax'!

I guess I just don’t see the point in supposing about gods since it’s all myth and superstition anyway.

I guess I just don’t see the point in supposing about gods since it’s all myth and superstition anyway.
Sometimes its amusing to think about a deity so bored, or traumatized, or exhausted, it wants nothing more to do with us, this planet, or any worshippers when so many of us for so many centuries have been so utterly desperate for its attention, nurture, and affection that we write books, compose songs, build cathedrals and fight wars for a sliver of love. There may be zero evidence to justify, but appreciation of irony can be its own reward.

Humanists are very seldom theists. I am a secular humanist. Humanism came about as an idea of morality after the rejection of man-made gods and abusive religions in the 17th century.

Secular Humanism is an outgrowth of eighteenth century enlightenment rationalism and nineteenth century freethought. Many secular groups, such as the Council for Secular Humanism and the American Rationalist Federation, and many otherwise unaffiliated academic philosophers and scientists, advocate this philosophy.

“In the broad sense of the term, humanists are simply atheists who believe in living purposeful and moral lives.”

For your claim to be true then you have to prove objectively that any creator's deity exists in a way that doesn't rely on religious faith and belief and can be tested empirically. A god must first exist before you can suppose that he created man in any form and for 2000_ tears there has been absolutely zero evidence of any deity ever existing. Your claims and belief in a god only prove that you are not a rational thinker but instead are emotionally driven to mindlessly repeat the religious lies that someone has convinced you of.

Last edited:
Humanists are very seldom theists. I am a secular humanist. Humanism came about as an idea of morality after the rejection of man-made gods and abusive religions in the 17th century.

For your claim to be true then you have to prove objectively that any creator's deity exists in a way that doesn't rely on religious faith and belief and can be tested empirically. A god must first exist before you can suppose that he created man in any form and for 2000_ tears there has been absolutely zero evidence of any deity ever existing. Your claims and belief in a god only prove that you are not a rational thinker but instead are emotionally driven to mindlessly repeat the religious lies that someone has convinced you of.
I am a secular humanist agnostic atheist. My point is that theism is only inconsistent with humanism, if we suppose that any theoretical god is active and involved in our lives, or our planet and has developed a sense of morality for us to learn about and mimic. Now being is that any God that does not meet that criteria, serves no real value to us and offers us no reason to give a crap, let alone search for evidence, so we never talk about those.

I am a secular humanist agnostic atheist. My point is that theism is only inconsistent with humanism, if we suppose that any theoretical god is active and involved in our lives, or our planet and has developed a sense of morality for us to learn about and mimic. Now being is that any God that does not meet that criteria, serves no real value to us and offers us no reason to give a crap, let alone search for evidence, so we never talk about those.
If the god isn't involved in the lives of his creations that is closer to deism. It is also referred to the absentee landlord religion that created the universe and walked away, having no contact with the creation. Many of the frames of the US Constitution were deists of some form. Thomas Paine being the most obvious.

The term deism refers not to a specific religion but rather to a particular perspective on the nature of God. Deists believe that a single creator god does exist, but they take their evidence from reason and logic, not the revelatory acts and miracles that form the basis of faith in many organized religions. Deists hold that after the motions of the universe were set in place, God retreated and had no further interaction with the created universe or the beings within it. Deism is sometimes considered to be a reaction against theism in its various forms—the belief in a God that does intervene in the lives of humans and with whom you can have a personal relationship.

Deists, therefore, break with followers of other major theistic religions in a number of important ways:

“Humanism is simply an ethical and philosophical viewpoint that sees individuals having the freedom to choose their own values and goals. Humanism emphasizes common human needs and seeks rational ways of solving human problems. In this way, Humanism utilizes scientific methods as well as the fact-based findings of the various sciences.

“As a broad ethical outlook, humanism involves no sectarian divisions or strife, no supernaturalism, no taboos, no food and dress codes, no restrictive sexual morality other than what is implicit in the demand to treat others with respect, consideration and kindness.”

“The philosophy of humanism isn’t the result of putting humans on the pedestal once occupied by gods; it results from the realization that the gods won’t save us, so we’d better save ourselves. Humanism is not about making ourselves sacred; it’s about us taking responsibility—for animals and the planet as well as ourselves.”

“A system of thought which assigns a predominant interest to the affairs of man as compared with the supernatural and which believes man capable of controlling those affairs. It therefore holds that the chief end of human life is to work for the happiness of man upon this earth and within the confines of the Nature that is his home.”

“Its origins can be glimpsed in early Greek philosophy, especially in efforts to develop a theoretical philosophical and scientific outlook on nature, in its emphasis on human rationality, and in its conviction that the good life can be achieved through the exercise of human powers and the fulfillment of human nature.”

“Confucius (551-479BC) was more concerned with ethics than with mysticism.”

and now for the real world definitions and applications although I believe more Behaviorism.

The key would be 'secular humanist' vs 'humanist' . The author was looking a 'humanist' to be 'secular humanist' and got lazy.

Back
Top Bottom