• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A huge victory for President Bush and establishing a democracy in the mid-east....

Sarcasm on//

I, too, wish the media would quit reporting the truth, Navy. Why can't they ignore the daily explosions and focus on the babies being born, people getting married, kids going to school.

Sarcasm off//

Re: A huge victory for President Bush and establishing a democracy in the mid-east...

Navy Pride said:
In spite of the naysayers and doom and gloom predictions by the left in this country President Bush and his admininitration won a huge victory in the mid-east over the weekend as the people Iraq approved their Constitution
establishing a democratic government there........

This could very well go down as one the biggest victories of the Bush Administration and to President Bush's legacy........

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/10/17/iraq.vote.reut/index.html

constitution win

Monday, October 17, 2005; Posted: 11:28 a.m. EDT (15:28 GMT)

An insurgent stronghold embraces U.S. troops (3:23)

Iraqs middle-class citizens are losing hope (3:43)

Iraqi election officials slowly counted up to 10 million ballots from Saturday's referendum, with partial results pointing to a clear win for the new constitution.

Washington hopes the constitution will help establish Iraq as a stable democracy able to do without U.S. troops.

Officials said as many as 63 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in Saturday's election, above the 58 percent seen in January, when many Sunnis boycotted the first elections after the fall of Saddam Hussein, who is a Sunni.

Poll officials in Baghdad said they were still re-counting ballots which had been trucked to the capital under heavy security from polling stations around the country.

Adel Alami, a senior official with the electoral commission, said the process was moving forward but certified results could be days away. "It will last for several days until the results are collected from all provinces," he told Reuters.

Partial results released by local officials showed the measure had passed despite high turnout in some Sunni areas where opposition to the constitution ran strongest.

Sunnis make up just 20 percent of the population and fear the new constitution will hand control of the country and its oil resources to the Shi'ite majority and its Kurdish allies.

According to the referendum rules, a two-thirds "No" vote in three of Iraq's 18 provinces would block the constitution even if most Iraqis backed it. But by late Sunday it appeared that only two provinces had returned a potentially blocking "No" vote, making the chances of a veto remote.

Most Shiite and Kurdish-dominated provinces were running heavily in favor of the constitution. Anbar province around Ramadi was expected to strongly reject it, as was Salahaddin province, which contains Saddam's hometown of Tikrit.

The contest was closer in the northern province of Niniveh around the city of Mosul, which is split between Sunni Arabs and Kurds.

A senior Iraqi official said on Monday that while 424,00 of the province's 778,000 voters said "No" to the charter, this fell short of the two thirds necessary to reject it.

Kurdish leaders, who originally inserted the three-province veto clause to protect their own interests, have denied Arab accusations of packing Mosul with Kurdish voters.

With new parliamentary elections now set for December 15, Iraq's bitter political negotiations look likely to continue.

Last-minute concessions by Shi'ite and Kurdish leaders aimed at securing Sunni support for the document mean that many of its key clauses are open to amendment -- leaving political leaders scrambling once again to satisfy their rival constituencies

you think that the election was a victory for Bush. I sincerely hope that the this fledgling democracy grow into something beside a bloody civil war. Iraq trully needs some peace after what Bush did to it . If we withdraw from Irag, how long will this constitution last?
Now that I think about it again, why did we attack Iraq in the first place?

It was Saudi Arabia that attacked us on 9/11. why didn't we attack Saudi Arabia? this game of corporate politics and war is very confusing.
Doesn't it remind you of Mein Kampf, and Hitler?

Re: A huge victory for President Bush and establishing a democracy in the mid-east...

Navy Pride said:
Its only fair that if your going to count the deaths you have to count them the same way......As and example at the lamdings on Nomandy in 1 day 6,000Americans lost their lives........In almost 3 years in Iraq we have lost no where near that count..

The Normandy invasion was part of WWII, not a post-war insurgency.

Navy Pride said:
I love how you don't want to compare the casualties of the 2 wars.......

I wasn't the one trying to draw comparisons between the two wars, I was responding to someone who said we should "be patient" because the post-war period after WWII took longer than the post-war period in Iraq has.

Navy Pride said:
We are in a war on terror in Iraq.........it is still going on...........

I see. As long as you won't define the terms of the war or when it ends, it is immune to any historic parallels and therefore immune to criticism.

Navy Pride said:
So your not from this country? Why do you not list where your from? Are you ashamed of your country?

What are you talking about? My profile clearly says Baltimore, MD and has since the day I registered... What does that have to do with anything anyway?

Navy Pride said:
I don't pretend to speak for the people of Iraq but all I know is under threat of death a hell of a lot more of them turned out to vote percentage wise then we have ever had in this country........

Some of you might think that the Iraqi people were better off under Saddam and his scumbag sons but I truly believe the Iraqi people don't believe that.......They yearn for freedom and to live their lives in peace and harmony.........

Well then it come to election it depends on that you compare to, becuase yes USA have very low turn out. But it common for other countries like for example european countries having a turnout of 70/80 % also I think atleast officially the unfair election in Iran got 60 % turn out.

Well actually there are Iraqies that think that they have it better under Saddam, between 20/80 % of them (with the truth somethere between). But the important part is that we don't know how the situation in Iraq will be then it is finally is stable, only that the cost have been high and is still getting higher.

Also you seem to like to compare death tools, so I can give you one more exampel. If 20000 proffesional welltrained americans soldiers that had voluntaried would be dead today instead of the reality with atleast 20000 dead innocent women, men and children. Wouldn't then even alot of republicans want to kick out bush and replace him with clinton. Also wouldn't the "liberal" media report alot more about that then they doing today about the Iraq casualties.

One of the reasons of the low voter turnout in this country is because the elections are held on a Tuesday instead of a Sunday like the rest of the world does it. Who the hell wants to work all day and then stop on the way home or even make a special trip to the polls to vote? People are tired after they work all day.

Our Goverment is either too stupid or there is a political or corporate reason to change election day to a Sunday.

Oh, I forgot, the Christian right would never allow such a thing.:spin:

Bergslagstroll said:
Well then it come to election it depends on that you compare to, becuase yes USA have very low turn out. But it common for other countries like for example european countries having a turnout of 70/80 % also I think atleast officially the unfair election in Iran got 60 % turn out.

Well actually there are Iraqies that think that they have it better under Saddam, between 20/80 % of them (with the truth somethere between). But the important part is that we don't know how the situation in Iraq will be then it is finally is stable, only that the cost have been high and is still getting higher.

Also you seem to like to compare death tools, so I can give you one more exampel. If 20000 proffesional welltrained americans soldiers that had voluntaried would be dead today instead of the reality with atleast 20000 dead innocent women, men and children. Wouldn't then even alot of republicans want to kick out bush and replace him with clinton. Also wouldn't the "liberal" media report alot more about that then they doing today about the Iraq casualties.

Of course there are people who would rather have Saddam still in power but they are the people that were in power under him living the good life...It only makes sense they would want him back..........I don't know the percentage but I would say its at about 10%........We should get a better idea of how much this man was hated during his upcoming trial.................

As I said every innocent person that dies is regrettable but hopefully something much better will come out of this........At least I hope so........

Old and wise said:
One of the reasons of the low voter turnout in this country is because the elections are held on a Tuesday instead of a Sunday like the rest of the world does it. Who the hell wants to work all day and then stop on the way home or even make a special trip to the polls to vote? People are tired after they work all day.

Our Goverment is either too stupid or there is a political or corporate reason to change election day to a Sunday.

Oh, I forgot, the Christian right would never allow such a thing.:spin:

Regardless what day of the week it is if someone really wants to vote they can do it...........A lot of companies even give their employees time off to go and vote..............

Your Christian bashing comment is not worth a reply........

Back
Top Bottom