• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Huge Climate Change Movement Led By Teenage Girls Is Sweeping Europe. And It’s Coming To The US

Bergslagstroll

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Full title: A Huge Climate Change Movement Led By Teenage Girls Is Sweeping Europe. And It’s Coming To The US Next.

Young women are leading the growing global climate movement.

LONDON — A huge student protest movement led almost exclusively by teenage girls and young women is sweeping Europe, and it's on the brink of breaking through in the US.

So far this year, tens of thousands of high school–age students in Belgium, Germany, and Sweden have boycotted class and protested against climate change. The loose movement’s inspiration, a 16-year-old girl who began a solitary picket last year outside the Swedish Parliament in Stockholm, has compared the protests to the March for Our Lives movement organized by the Parkland teens in the wake of a shooting at their school that left 17 dead.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/lesterfeder/europe-climate-change-protests-teens

That children have to take action then the grown ups fail in their duties and responsibilities.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...g-school-ruining-planet-strike-climate-change

Last edited:
Full title: A Huge Climate Change Movement Led By Teenage Girls Is Sweeping Europe. And It’s Coming To The US Next.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/lesterfeder/europe-climate-change-protests-teens

That children have to take action then the grown ups fail in their duties and responsibilities.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...g-school-ruining-planet-strike-climate-change

A movement lead by children. Should I be the first to tell them that dreams are as far from reality as one can get?

A movement lead by children. Should I be the first to tell them that dreams are as far from reality as one can get?

No, they're just sick and tired of the older generations, particularly the boomers, actively screwing the environment for their future because they're scientifically illiterate and don't care about the consequences because they've already got one foot in the coffin.

They should be mad, damn mad, because it's their future we're screwing up with our ignorance and refusal to act.

No, they're just sick and tired of the older generations, particularly the boomers, actively screwing the environment for their future because they're scientifically illiterate and don't care about the consequences because they've already got one foot in the coffin.

They should be mad, damn mad, because it's their future we're screwing up with our ignorance and refusal to act.

Oh oh, I remember this same commercial. The older man standing in front of the screen and telling the audience that he doesn't believe in all of this global warming, climate change malarkey. Only to say that it wouldn't affect him anyway and he just steps off the screen. Wherein it's revealed that he was standing on a line of train tracks that there was a freight train coming in behind him. Then the camera lowers and it shows a child, a little girl standing on the track with tears in her eyes...

Yeah now she's all grown up and has kids of her own, with grandchildren to boot if memory serves.
I don't care for what a group of children are passionately calling for across the pond. Because if there's one thing I don't want to base important decisions on, it's children who let their emotions rule nearly all of their actions.

Uh, no. They are children who dont know WTF they are talking about. But you are certainly free to be led around by them.

Well that and they are functionally illiterate, the worst prepared generation for what they will confront during life in American history.

God Help Us

Oh oh, I remember this same commercial. The older man standing in front of the screen and telling the audience that he doesn't believe in all of this global warming, climate change malarkey. Only to say that it wouldn't affect him anyway and he just steps off the screen. Wherein it's revealed that he was standing on a line of train tracks that there was a freight train coming in behind him. Then the camera lowers and it shows a child, a little girl standing on the track with tears in her eyes...

Yeah now she's all grown up and has kids of her own, with grandchildren to boot if memory serves.
I don't care for what a group of children are passionately calling for across the pond. Because if there's one thing I don't want to base important decisions on, it's children who let their emotions rule nearly all of their actions.

Well we do have a similar childlike movement going on right here, only its being led by a childlike, 29 year old, freshman congresswoman. Ive been asking global warming alarmists for years what they plan to do to stop global warming and no one would ever give an answer. AOC just did. We should thank her for exposing the totalitarian dreams of the loony climate change left.

Well, having spent most of the past year in Europe, I haven’t heard peep about this.

Seems plausible Leftists have gone to exploiting children like Sandy Cortez to sell their idiotic green schemes.

Well we do have a similar childlike movement going on right here, only its being led by a childlike, 29 year old, freshman congresswoman. Ive been asking global warming alarmists for years what they plan to do to stop global warming and no one would ever give an answer. AOC just did. We should thank her for exposing the totalitarian dreams of the loony climate change left.

When it comes to climate change, I'm firmly in the skeptic community. I know the climate changes, though to what extent by the influence of humanity isn't actually easy to diagnose.

It really didn't help anything when people like Bill Nye said that climate skeptics should be imprisoned and people running around screaming for change without having an actual solution in mind. Isn't doing much else.

Who needs science when fashion will do?

If it wasn’t easy to convince young people to make short-sighted decisions, we wouldn’t have a teenage pregnancy crisis. ;)

Ultimately, these protests are no different for the countless similar ones before them, they just need another angle to try to regather the attention that will inevitably drift away when all they can offer is slogans and rhetoric but no realistic solutions to any of the vast range of issues they complain about. I even agree with them on some aspects (though not always the specifics), I just don’t see blocking traffic waving a bit of cardboard with a catchy slogan on it actually achieves anything on its own.

Uh, no. They are children who dont know WTF they are talking about. But you are certainly free to be led around by them.

The children listen to the scientists and know that they are talking about.

"Incheon, Republic of Korea, October 8 – Limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society, the IPCC said in a new assessment. With clear benefits to people and natural ecosystems, limiting global warming to 1.5°C compared to 2°C could go hand in hand with ensuring a more sustainable and equitable society, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said on Monday.

The Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C was approved by the IPCC on Saturday in Incheon, Republic of Korea. It will be a key scientific input into the Katowice Climate Change Conference in Poland in December, when governments review the Paris Agreement to tackle climate change.

“With more than 6,000 scientific references cited and the dedicated contribution of thousands of expert and government reviewers worldwide, this important report testifies to the breadth and policy relevance of the IPCC,” said Hoesung Lee, Chair of the IPCC."

https://www.ipcc.ch/2018/10/08/summ...obal-warming-of-1-5c-approved-by-governments/

That compared to politcians like Donald Trump that even ignore his own federal agencies warnings about the devasting effects of climate change.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/chapter/executive-summary/

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

Last edited:
If it wasn’t easy to convince young people to make short-sighted decisions, we wouldn’t have a teenage pregnancy crisis. ;)

Ultimately, these protests are no different for the countless similar ones before them, they just need another angle to try to regather the attention that will inevitably drift away when all they can offer is slogans and rhetoric but no realistic solutions to any of the vast range of issues they complain about. I even agree with them on some aspects (though not always the specifics), I just don’t see blocking traffic waving a bit of cardboard with a catchy slogan on it actually achieves anything on its own.

Renewables are starting to outcompete fossil fuels on price and there are also great advancement in areas like energy storage and microgrids.

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproje...0/6-renewable-energy-trends-to-watch-in-2019/

Also for example that over 150 of the world’s most influential companies have committed to source 100 percent renewable electricity. While the price of renewables have dropped so much that even oil companies invests in renewable energy.

Exxon knows renewables are cheaper, even if Trump doesn't

So we have both the knowledge and the means to tranistion our socities away from fossil fuels. That it just that people in charge lack the will. So you need young people and people of all ages to protest and make their voices heard. There you for example had 70 000 people of all ages protesting in Brussel in january.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/01/27/over-70-000-march-for-the-climate-in-brussels

The children listen to the scientists and know that they are talkning about.

"Incheon, Republic of Korea, October 8 – Limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society, the IPCC said in a new assessment. With clear benefits to people and natural ecosystems, limiting global warming to 1.5°C compared to 2°C could go hand in hand with ensuring a more sustainable and equitable society, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said on Monday.

The Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C was approved by the IPCC on Saturday in Incheon, Republic of Korea. It will be a key scientific input into the Katowice Climate Change Conference in Poland in December, when governments review the Paris Agreement to tackle climate change.

“With more than 6,000 scientific references cited and the dedicated contribution of thousands of expert and government reviewers worldwide, this important report testifies to the breadth and policy relevance of the IPCC,” said Hoesung Lee, Chair of the IPCC."

https://www.ipcc.ch/2018/10/08/summ...obal-warming-of-1-5c-approved-by-governments/

That compared to politcians like Donald Trump that even ignore his own federal agencies warnings about the devasting effects of climate change.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/chapter/executive-summary/

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

Theyre children. They dont know ****.

Well that and they are functionally illiterate, the worst prepared generation for what they will confront during life in American history.

God Help Us

So just to be clear, all three of you are claiming that these Euro kids invented climate change and that's why we should reject the entire concept.

This isn't the opinion of children, it's the cold hard scientific evidence and overwhelming consensus by the world's climate experts. You three fundamentally reject science, logic and evidence, so do not for one damn second pretend their age is why you are a science denier. Totally pathetic, every last one of you.

Theyre children. They dont know ****.

"I'm going to reject mountains of scientific evidence piled up over decades that man has a serious effect on the climate because just recently some kids got pissed that we're ignoring the problem all together and rejecting science for my own personal opinion. "

So just to be clear, all three of you are claiming that these Euro kids invented climate change and that's why we should reject the entire concept.

This isn't the opinion of children, it's the cold hard scientific evidence and overwhelming consensus by the world's climate experts. You three fundamentally reject science, logic and evidence, so do not for one damn second pretend their age is why you are a science denier. Totally pathetic, every last one of you.

"I'm going to reject mountains of scientific evidence piled up over decades that man has a serious effect on the climate because just recently some kids got pissed that we're ignoring the problem all together and rejecting science for my own personal opinion. "

I see no point in my post where I said that they invented climate change. So right off the bat you've pretty much revealed just how wrong you are about this who thing.

I'm also not saying that climate change was invented. It's obvious that the climate of the earth is constantly changing, though the effects of humanity on all of this are still very much up in the air. Seeing as we have varied results, I like to stand on the same ground as Richard Lindzen.

Even the IPCC can only say that the burning of CO2 by mankind "might eventually lead to climate change". I being a skeptic on the issue of man made climate change. Know full well that there are multitudes of reasons that the earths climate actually changes and almost none of them are fully understood and that there is no evidence that CO2 emissions are the actual dominant factor.

These children, are not in any way, shape, or form. Going to change anything with wishful thinking. Anymore than your pathetic insults are going to actually come close to effecting us in any actual fashion.

If you have the cold hard facts and the mountains of information that prove you correct. Then I invite you to cite it and a dialogue can be had from that.

Ok! I think I'm for abortion again!

God Help Us

I see no point in my post where I said that they invented climate change. So right off the bat you've pretty much revealed just how wrong you are about this who thing.

I'm also not saying that climate change was invented. It's obvious that the climate of the earth is constantly changing, though the effects of humanity on all of this are still very much up in the air. Seeing as we have varied results, I like to stand on the same ground as Richard Lindzen.

Even the IPCC can only say that the burning of CO2 by mankind "might eventually lead to climate change". I being a skeptic on the issue of man made climate change. Know full well that there are multitudes of reasons that the earths climate actually changes and almost none of them are fully understood and that there is no evidence that CO2 emissions are the actual dominant factor.

These children, are not in any way, shape, or form. Going to change anything with wishful thinking. Anymore than your pathetic insults are going to actually come close to effecting us in any actual fashion.

If you have the cold hard facts and the mountains of information that prove you correct. Then I invite you to cite it and a dialogue can be had from that.

You said:

In order to imply that it's these kids making climate change an issue and should be dismissed because of their age. You don't dismiss climate change because of their age, you do it because your an incredibly ignorant hyper partisan.

And no, as a general rule I don't waste time trying to prove climate change to idiots who have completely turned off their brains and think their unqualified opinion trumps science. There is literally no level of evidence I can present to satisfy someone who actively abstains from reality.

...are they hot?

You said:

In order to imply that it's these kids making climate change an issue and should be dismissed because of their age. You don't dismiss climate change because of their age, you do it because your an incredibly ignorant hyper partisan.

And no, as a general rule I don't waste time trying to prove climate change to idiots who have completely turned off their brains and think their unqualified opinion trumps science. There is literally no level of evidence I can present to satisfy someone who actively abstains from reality.

This feels like a garbage dump.

I am offended.

This is where schools have failed to teach actual science.
if the climate didn't change we would still be stuck in an ice age.
or stuck in a heat dome.

they should be thankful that climate changes.

the only ignorance is thinking that climate change isn't supposed to happen.
guess what it is supposed to happen it has been happening since the earth was formed.

climate change is a good thing and without it we would probably die.

It makes sense. All of us older people polluted they hell out of the oceans and it took some young guy to start cleaning it up. All these kids are going to have to clean up all our messes. We're irresponsible.

You do realize that it was boomers who are the reason that you have all this nice technology that you get to use now a days? Technology that was arrived at through science? Hell, if it wasn't for a boomer you wouldn't even be sitting at your desk in front of your computer screen right now. You also wouldn't know a damn thing about climate change because much of what is known about climate change today is the result of boomers using science.

And just so you know, I'm not a boomer so have no self interest in what I said.

You do realize that it was boomers who are the reason that you have all this nice technology that you get to use now a days? Technology that was arrived at through science? Hell, if it wasn't for a boomer you wouldn't even be sitting at your desk in front of your computer screen right now. You also wouldn't know a damn thing about climate change because much of what is known about climate change today is the result of boomers using science.

And just so you know, I'm not a boomer so have no self interest in what I said.

Speaking as a boomer, we've already destroyed earth's climate. We're setting our sights on ruining gravity next.

Back
Top Bottom