• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Historian Looks at Climate Change

He is from Canada. He has his Doctors degree. And he looks at Climate as a historian.

What do you have to lose being educated?

19:48 according to the video.....:alert

He has no degree in climatology. Therefore his opinions on it are worthless.

At least that's what I'm toll whenever there is a skeptic with say an economics or physics degree.

There are a few problems in his video where claims are made with no data. So, I looked the guy up. His degrees appear legit, so there is that. But when you did a little deeper you discover that he isn't much on analysis (which makes sense given that this video shows he hasn't really done any real data digging) which is a problem when your field requires analysis of data like history does.

So, no matter where you are on the political spectrum, if you like claims with the backing of analysis and data, then you should have a problem with this guy.

Unless you are Trump or one his supporters where truth and evidence means nothing if it goes against what you want to hear or believe.

He is from Canada. He has his Doctors degree. And he looks at Climate as a historian.

this man is the stereotypical overly educated conspiracy nutter.

They're from NASA. They have their PhDs. They look at climate (not "Climate"--you're reading too many Trump tweets. He doesn't understand capitalization either) as climate scientists.

NASA: Climate Change and Global Warming

Last edited:
He has no degree in climatology. Therefore his opinions on it are worthless.

At least that's what I'm toll whenever there is a skeptic with say an economics or physics degree.

Not worthless, necessarily. If they have anything relevant to share, with observable and repeatable data, they can contribute to the discussion. That's how science works.

But if they are just mouthy cranks, spewing lots of words to convince credulous conservatives desperate to believe, then yeah. Worthless.

In a totally unrelated subject, if you're interested in Covid-19, go here.

If you want comforting myths, go here.

Science or rigid ideology. The choice is yours.

What do I have to lose by having you try to 'educate' me with a HISTORIAN's view on something he is not qualified to have a view on? Brain cells, that's what. And I'd rather keep them.

Enough of your stupid videos.

What do historians know about what happened before 5,000 bc?
Data has been collected about the atmosphere back to about 800,000 bc.
The music you blast at us demonstrates your ridiculousness. Study some astronomy regarding Milankovitch cycles triggering warming of the oceans which then release CO2 into the atmosphere which amplifies the warming.
Milankovitch cycles - Wikipedia

Left wingers that harp on global warming, do not want to talk about or explain why it was much warmer in the years 1000 to 1200 than it is now. Vikings were farming southern Greenland.

Left wingers that harp on global warming, do not want to talk about or explain why it was much warmer in the years 1000 to 1200 than it is now. Vikings were farming southern Greenland.
Two words you never hear from Democrats. Not harmful.

We were at the end of a mini ice age in 1880. We are currently in a warming cycle. Nature did this all the time.

As to the 2 degrees. I want you to think of a cold winter day where the temperature outside is -50. And you find out it will warm to -48. Are you shaking with fear of warming?

Don't like that one?

Day where the temperature outside is 90. And now it is 92. Are you shaking yet?

You would laugh your ass off were I to tell you planet Earth is in trouble for the predicted 92 degree day.

Clearly the Democrats /so called left winger groups, are awfully frightened. They see Biden as their savior. Biden will kill the best production means on Federal lands. He has no tools to stop them on private lands.

What do I have to lose by having you try to 'educate' me with a HISTORIAN's view on something he is not qualified to have a view on? Brain cells, that's what. And I'd rather keep them.

Enough of your stupid videos.

Stop fearing the truth. And the video is the work of a man holding a PhD. I thought you believed our PhD group?

What you actually accept as true came from climate historians.

Two words you never hear from Democrats. Not harmful.

We were at the end of a mini ice age in 1880. We are currently in a warming cycle. Nature did this all the time.

As to the 2 degrees. I want you to think of a cold winter day where the temperature outside is -50. And you find out it will warm to -48. Are you shaking with fear of warming?

Don't like that one?

Day where the temperature outside is 90. And now it is 92. Are you shaking yet?

You would laugh your ass off were I to tell you planet Earth is in trouble for the predicted 92 degree day.

Clearly the Democrats /so called left winger groups, are awfully frightened. They see Biden as their savior. Biden will kill the best production means on Federal lands. He has no tools to stop them on private lands.

Denier dogma. *YAWN*

Democrats always believe in Dr. James Hansen and never mention he had no degree in Climatology. His degrees were in ...

Hansen was born in Denison, Iowa, to James Ivan Hansen and Gladys Ray Hansen.[9] He was trained in physics and astronomy in the space science program of James Van Allen at the University of Iowa. He obtained a B.A. in Physics and Mathematics with highest distinction in 1963, an M.S. in Astronomy in 1965 and a Ph.D. in Physics in 1967, all three degrees from the University of Iowa.

So why is he not mocked?

Denier dogma. *YAWN*
Dr. Hansen had no degree in climate. Nobody denies, not on my side ... climate changes. We will prove it changes. We will use history to prove it.

Stop fearing the truth. And the video is the work of a man holding a PhD. I thought you believed our PhD group?

What you actually accept as true came from climate historians.

First of all, it didn't take long to find out that he gets paid to specifically be a climate denier. He works for the Frontier Centre for Public Policy in Canada which is funded by Big Oil to promote climate change denial, so that money also flows down to him.
And isn't that sweet how he holds the cat to show what a gentle soul that he is.
All he has done is to parrot already well-known research about climate changes in the past. The true scientists are out there digging ice cores in order to verify the wide swings in climate in the past 4.5 billion years of Earth history.
What he doesn't do is to admit that this is the very first time in all those billions of years that a SINGLE SPECIES is primarily responsible for said climate change.
Yes, looking back we can see the end of a mini ice age--that's because the greenhouse gasses that begin spewing in the beginning of the Industrial Revolution are stating to at up the atmosphere. This is not that diffcult to understand.

What do historians know about what happened before 5,000 bc?
Data has been collected about the atmosphere back to about 800,000 bc.
The music you blast at us demonstrates your ridiculousness. Study some astronomy regarding Milankovitch cycles triggering warming of the oceans which then release CO2 into the atmosphere which amplifies the warming.
Milankovitch cycles - Wikipedia
That is science. Democrats want politicians ruling them, not science.

First of all, it didn't take long to find out that he gets paid to specifically be a climate denier. He works for the Frontier Centre for Public Policy in Canada which is funded by Big Oil to promote climate change denial, so that money also flows down to him.
And isn't that sweet how he holds the cat to show what a gentle soul that he is.
All he has done is to parrot already well-known research about climate changes in the past. The true scientists are out there digging ice cores in order to verify the wide swings in climate in the past 4.5 billion years of Earth history.
What he doesn't do is to admit that this is the very first time in all those billions of years that a SINGLE SPECIES is primarily responsible for said climate change.
Yes, looking back we can see the end of a mini ice age--that's because the greenhouse gasses that begin spewing in the beginning of the Industrial Revolution are stating to at up the atmosphere. This is not that diffcult to understand.

Where do you find him denying science or being a denier? Also I wondered why you did not try to prove your own claims. That he works for Frontier Centre for Public Policy. So I decided to do your research for you.
This is the list of their people. Robson is not on the list.

Non scientific types use the vague word denier. Supposedly there are truth tellers.
Their list of endorsers? No shell oil there.

As an organization, we do not subscribe to any political ideology. Our Board of Directors, Expert Advisory Panel and staff includes people of a wide variety of political persuasions and we regularly publish research that praises some government policies and criticizes others.

We have hosted speakers from across the political spectrum, including Prime Ministers Paul Martin and Stephen Harper, and former Premiers Mike Harris, Frank McKenna and Ed Schreyer. We also regularly invite to Canada experts like Russian President Vladimir Putin’s chief economic advisor Andrei Illarionov, former Democratic Mayor of Milwaukee John Norquist, Nobel Laureate James Buchanan, Stockholm health reform advisor Johan Hjertqvist and Stefan Fantauzzo, president of America’s most dynamic local union of public employees.

Unlike political or lobby groups, which often represent only the narrow interests of their members, we aim to advance the interests of the public as a whole. As a think tank, we are free to explore new ideas and policy initiatives unconstrained by the pressures that political parties face to be popular at the polls.

So is Dr. Judith Curry, a climatologist, one of the truth tellers?

Post above put through the BS meter test and as I suspected, it is just BS.
meter-false.jpg

Back
Top Bottom