• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A hapless America?

From The Guardian here:

What is tragic for America is the number of fellow-Americans who happen to believe, still, that a hapless ex-PotUS (Trump) is right. Or Right, whichever does not matter. From where devolves such a belief?

Woeful ignorance of a large part of the American public that have had insufficient instruction in Civics. Which is a course in how democracy works, not a lesson in impractical and provincial Political Thinking/Belief ... or whatever. Civics, though a "noun", behaves like a "verb". It is the work necessary to assure that a democracy is fair, independent, and competent.

Just what is "Civics" (capital "C" is important)! It's "short" definition goes like this: "The study of the rights and duties of citizenship."

And how do we know what those "rights and duties are"? Well, that question was posed and answered in a study-report by the title of "2018 Civics Framework", which is the handiwork of a select group of people explained in Chapter 3 (excerpt) and its purpose explained:

Yes, citizenship is not just an individual right of all citizens. It is also a "duty" that we learn in order to assure (and participate) in the development of our rights as citizens. And not just wait for someone to show-up, run for office, and tell us what our rights are and why/how they might evolve.

Which implies a considerable amount of work. And, to my mind, requires a "standing committee" of select-individuals to pursue that goal. With an in-depth report now-and-then about when/where/how or why our "democracy" needs to evolve.

Meaning quite simply this: That "committee" must come alive and perform (in a politically neutral fashion) the studies so essential to understanding truly what our democracy is doing and how it should be done ...
From one foreigner to another, I believe you are overthinking it.

The US citizens has been subjects of voter suppression policies for decades. They also have 2 parties that neither really stands for any clear direction, which off course means that they can end up anywhere on any issue. The public can never know exactly what they are voting for. Also partiality is institutionalized in the justice system.

Hence they do not trust anything the government or federal institutions says.

It really isn't that strange. Anything else would be strange…

Thankfully the French government would have a difference of opinion on that subject.

My fair-share of taxes (which is far more expensive than your fair-share) goes to the French government. Which I wish well every time I go to see a doctor in France, and my total cost is ZERO EUROS! Or when one of my kids is off to university and it is costing $1500 (in euros) a year!

Eat your heart out on those two because they are the most obvious manner in which my French-taxation is helping a great many people including my kids ... !
Two responses to my same post. At least this one made more sense.

If you don't make enough to pay US income taxes, your fair share of taxes most definitely is not more expensive than my fair share.

Anyone can point to prices in their local economy that are of value to

Good luck was your 20% VAT and your estate planning, and don't forget, Uncle Sam needs money so when the laws change increasing taxes, you get all those benefits too!

Two responses to my same post. At least this one made more sense.

If you don't make enough to pay US income taxes, your fair share of taxes most definitely is not more expensive than my fair share.

Anyone can point to prices in their local economy that are of value to

Good luck was your 20% VAT and your estate planning, and don't forget, Uncle Sam needs money so when the laws change increasing taxes, you get all those benefits too!

All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the question-at-hand. Which is the unfairness of high Income Earnings in America.

And it is highly unfair ever since the Rabid-Right started diminishing aggressively Income Taxation in the Ronald RayGun administration (1982) .
34553ea0-e37a-4da5-abe0-aa5b1af39862.JPG

In successive years, a variety of Replicant presidents reduced even further upper-income taxation to where it is today at around 40%. Rather, at incomes of more than 2/3/4 million it should be confiscatory.

Whyzzat? Because there is simply no need for that amount of money to lead a very rich lifestyle. Besides much of that money goes inevitably to the kids who never worked a day for it!

It's the worst taxation rip-off benefiting uniquely the rich and super-rich that has ever existed in the USA ...

All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the question-at-hand. Which is the unfairness of high Income Earnings in America.

And it is highly unfair ever since the Rabid-Right started diminishing aggressively Income Taxation in the Ronald RayGun administration (1982) .
34553ea0-e37a-4da5-abe0-aa5b1af39862.JPG

In successive years, a variety of Replicant presidents reduced even further upper-income taxation to where it is today at around 40%. Rather, at incomes of more than 2/3/4 million it should be confiscatory.

Whyzzat? Because there is simply no need for that amount of money to lead a very rich lifestyle. Besides much of that money goes inevitably to the kids who never worked a day for it!

It's the worst taxation rip-off benefiting uniquely the rich and super-rich that has ever existed in the USA ...
Who are you to decide what is unfair what someone else has? That is beyond arrogant to presume you know how much is enough. Are government bills getting paid? Of course they are, there is plenty of money to cover what is needed and if more is needed at some point, then it should be applied equitably.

The top tax rates are a meaningless measure. That's like me saying that France is a poor country by only looking at the island of Reunion.

Have you decided how much your children, who received an education for 1500 EUR per year, should earn? Would you be unhappy if they earned more than that or would you hope that they used that wealth for good beyond their own needs. If you view government as the only source of good in the world, then government's indoctrination and creation of dependency is working on you.

Work harder so you can pay some of the US taxes you owe. Uncle Sam will use it better than you can. If you believe that, oh boy.

I was so glad to see La Pen rejected by French voters in the Presidential election. Few countries know the suffering caused by Fascists like the French and I would have been extremely disappointed to see her lead that beautiful country.
Considering the Vichy government that the French established in 1940, they should know the suffering caused by their own fascist government.

Considering the Vichy government that the French established in 1940, they should know the suffering caused by their own fascist government.

They do.

And the leader of the Vichy government was later put on trial for treason by the French.

Back
Top Bottom