• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Haitian intellectual's opinion

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. Dimitry Elias Leger opines:

a. Do NOT send American troops to his country.

b Do NOT send United Nations peacekeepers again.

i. The last time they were there, white- and blue-collar criminals gorged "on profits from the economic bubble created by the U.N. and, sadly enough, sending most of those profits abroad."

c. "Focus on the economy. guys."

i. "Haiti has good assets to pump cash into: perfect beaches and weather all year round for tourism; thriving arts, entertainment and literature that annually produce some of the best novelists, musicians and filmmakers in the francophone world and the U.S.; agriculture; gold mining; and a multilingual workforce."

d. Only Cuba, Brazil, and Venezuela have been "good neighbors and fair-trading partners."

i. President Clinton "destroyed Haiti's rice-exporting industry with surprise tariffs."

Source: The August 2, 2021, print edition of Time magazine.

i. The last time they were there, white- and blue-collar criminals gorged "on profits from the economic bubble created by the U.N. and, sadly enough, sending most of those profits abroad."

i. "Haiti has good assets to pump cash into: perfect beaches and weather all year round for tourism; thriving arts, entertainment and literature that annually produce some of the best novelists, musicians and filmmakers in the francophone world and the U.S.; agriculture; gold mining; and a multilingual workforce."

d. Only Cuba, Brazil, and Venezuela have been "good neighbors and fair-trading partners."

i. President Clinton "destroyed Haiti's rice-exporting industry with surprise tariffs."

And what is your opinion?

And what is your opinion?
I have none.

I am numb by the stupidity of the "leaders" of all countries, including this nation.

I look at the words & actions of the Democrats & Republicans, and I want to vomit.

I won't even begin to describe the actions of "leaders" of other countries.

Everything seems so hopeless.

And your opinion?

I have none.

I am numb by the stupidity of the "leaders" of all countries, including this nation.

I look at the words & actions of the Democrats & Republicans, and I want to vomit.

I won't even begin to describe the actions of "leaders" of other countries.

Everything seems so hopeless.

And your opinion?
Haiti has potential for some growth, but the unstable political climate will keep scaring away investments. That Haiti is basically screwed over by everyone when it comes to foreign trade is most likely true. I don't think it's time for a UN mission at least yet, and while some politicians in Haiti has asked for foreign troops, it's questionable how much legitimacy they have.

one problem is there were at least three Americans involved in the assassination of their president.

Southern Haiti was hit by a 7.2 earthquake Saturday morning and destruction appears widespread, with hundreds dead and close to 2,000 injuries. President Biden is sending the Disaster Aid Response Team to coordinate relief efforts.

Just what she needed.

Back
Top Bottom