• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A growing number of Americans blame Trump for shutdown: Reuters-Ipsos poll

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...for-shutdown-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1P223U

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A growing proportion of Americans blame President Donald Trump for a partial government shutdown that will cut off paychecks to federal workers this week, though Republicans mostly support his refusal to approve a budget without taxpayer dollars for the U.S.-Mexico border wall, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday.

The national opinion poll, which ran from Jan. 1 to Jan. 7, found that 51 percent of adults believe Trump “deserves most of the blame” for the shutdown, which entered its 18th day on Tuesday. That is up 4 percentage points from a similar poll that ran from Dec. 21 to 25.
=====================================================
Not a surprising result. Wonder what the numbers will be after Trump mangles the truth tonight.

Oh, look -- more proof that it's not the border wall that Democrats oppose, but a political win for Trump:

The poll found that 41 percent of the public supports building additional border fencing, down 12 points from a similar poll that ran in the first week of 2015, as opposition doubled among Democrats.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...for-shutdown-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1P223U

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A growing proportion of Americans blame President Donald Trump for a partial government shutdown that will cut off paychecks to federal workers this week, though Republicans mostly support his refusal to approve a budget without taxpayer dollars for the U.S.-Mexico border wall, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday.

The national opinion poll, which ran from Jan. 1 to Jan. 7, found that 51 percent of adults believe Trump “deserves most of the blame” for the shutdown, which entered its 18th day on Tuesday. That is up 4 percentage points from a similar poll that ran from Dec. 21 to 25.
Not a surprising result. Wonder what the numbers will be after Trump mangles the truth tonight.

Trump declared in his taped meeting with Pelosi and Schumer that he would take up the mantle, take responsibility, for the government shutdown (strike). I doubt that Trump even knows what "taking up the mantle" even means, that it would mean that the government shutdown is a good thing and that he is the holy prophet of a cause, being the wall. Oh, wait, maybe he blundered into his own self image by that declaration. Oh well.

A growing number of Americans are idiotic lemmings.

Oh, look -- more proof that it's not the border wall that Democrats oppose, but a political win for Trump:

This is probably the most dishonest argument I hear repeated by Trump supporters.

A: Congress already gave Trump $1.6 billion for his wall, most of which he has yet to spend. It is Trump who has failed to build even one foot of new wall.

https://qz.com/1516960/trump-speech-tonight-he-hasnt-spent-border-wall-money-he-already-has/

B: The bill that was passed by the Senate would have given Trump another $1.6 billion.

C: Trump chose to SHUT DOWN the government to demand what he wanted putting Dems in the position that they can't relent or he will employ the tactic every time he wants something.

So you can stop the pissy moany party. Nobody is buying it.

Didn't Hillary get 3 million more votes?

Everyone who agrees with me is smart and everyone who disagrees is not, though.

A growing number of Americans are idiotic lemmings.

no, it seems like the idiotic lemmngs are down to about 42.1%.

OK, that exchange did much to drive the maturity of this debate. Let's try again.

There is no compelling case for the wall. Illegal border crossings are 10% of what they were 15 years ago and the number if illegals in this country is down 10%. The facts suggest what has been done to date is working and negates the argument that more needs to be done. It also stands to reason that more people are against pursuing the border wall given there is a lessening of the perceived problem.

If you have a case for spending $30B + for a wall on the southern border, let's hear it.

Last edited:
Didn't Hillary get 3 million more votes?

Fake news. Those were all illegal immigrants shipped over the border to vote illegally.

Aside from that... touche'

This is probably the most dishonest argument I hear repeated by Trump supporters.

A: Congress already gave Trump $1.6 billion for his wall, most of which he has yet to spend. It is Trump who has failed to build even one foot of new wall.

https://qz.com/1516960/trump-speech-tonight-he-hasnt-spent-border-wall-money-he-already-has/

B: The bill that was passed by the Senate would have given Trump another $1.6 billion.

C: Trump chose to SHUT DOWN the government to demand what he wanted putting Dems in the position that they can't relent or he will employ the tactic every time he wants something.

From what I heard on CNN and Fox tonight as well as previously, the proposed money for border security was not allowed to be used for the wall.

From what I heard on CNN and Fox tonight as well as previously, the proposed money for border security was not allowed to be used for the wall.

From the link I posted...

Nearly 60% of those funds have been promised in contract awards made through the Army Corps of Engineers via Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said. That includes 35 of 40 miles of replacement wall funded by the fiscal 2017 budget and $700 million of the $1.2 billion funded in the 2018 budget, she said.

In other words, the DHS has committed about 60% of the money for physical barriers via new contracts, while 40% of the money remains uncommitted. In fact, the government shutdown over the wall is stopping the agency from committing more money to build it. “An additional approximately $300 million is ready to award as soon as the government reopens” the DHS spokesperson said.

What does any of this have to do with Democrat opposition to a wall doubling simply because it's not Obama in the White House any more, it's Trump?

From the link I posted...

That was the first $1.6 Billion which could be used for the wall. I'm talking about the next $1.6 Billion for the recent spending bill that could not be used for the border wall.

A growing number of Americans blame Trump for shutdown

fair enough. he said that he would own the shutdown. of course, he also said that Mexico would pay for ego wall, so there's that.

Yes and the imbeciles elected Trump as President.

A growing number of imbeciles tried to elect Hillary and are still crying a river because she got beat...

Correct.

The Democratic congressional leaders, Sen. Chuck Schumer and Rep. Nancy Pelosi, have proposed no more than $1.6 billion, as outlined in a bipartisan Senate bill. The money would not go for the wall but for fencing upgrades and other border security.
White House Isn'''t Flinching Over $5 Billion Border Wall | Time

He said he would take credit for it.

Too bad Mitch has no testicles to stand up to his crazy leader.

no, it seems like the idiotic lemmngs are down to about 42.1%.

Are your numbers from the same pollsters who claimed Trump would never win? ;) :lol:

Snipped the rest of the partisan border blather...

Didn't that 1.6 billion come with strings that it could not be used for new wall only to repair existing fence and erecting some of the same type already used. . And the 1.6 they were going to give Trump had the same restrictions. After signing the Omnibus Trump said he would not sign another bill without border wall funding. The Democrats chose to shut the government down when they refused to fund the wall.

Are your numbers from the same pollsters who claimed Trump would never win? ;) :lol:

Snipped the rest of the partisan border blather...

No, I went with the polls that said we would have blue wave in November. Their only fault was underestimating the blue wave.

Blue Wave Cometh.jpg

Partisan? Them's the facts, lady. Do you want 3rd party sites for each of points? You know I have them.

I asked you to state the case for the wall as a response to the notion that the problem is substantially solved. What did I get? No case for the wall..... because you don't have a coherent case, do you?

Back
Top Bottom