• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A great read with every stat and study about our good friend FOX News

jbander

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
THE REPUBLICAN BRAIN.

The Core Thesis: Authoritarian people have a stronger emotional need for an outlet like Fox, where they can find affirmation and escape factual challenges to their beliefs.
Insights from Chris Mooney’s book The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science and Reality.
That's just the beginning there are unarguable facts and a few that can be argued but it puts FOX News where it belongs and how it is needed by the right.

THE REPUBLICAN BRAIN.

The Core Thesis: Authoritarian people have a stronger emotional need for an outlet like Fox, where they can find affirmation and escape factual challenges to their beliefs.
Insights from Chris Mooney’s book The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science and Reality.
That's just the beginning there are unarguable facts and a few that can be argued but it puts FOX News where it belongs and how it is needed by the right.

Someone needs to flush this bait thread.

Eh. I'd probably give it a chapter or two. Most likely an unabashed collection of biased drivel, possibly a decent read.

THE REPUBLICAN BRAIN.

Yeah, lets ignore the fact that there are millions of scientists that have faith based in some form of religion or another. ;)

Think I just debunked that entire thesis without once having to read anything but the title. Doh!

Yeah, lets ignore the fact that there are millions of scientists that have faith based in some form of religion or another. ;)

Think I just debunked that entire thesis without once having to read anything but the title. Doh!

You may have made an argument against the title, but didn't actually address the thesis, as it didn't state anything about science or religion.

You may have made an argument against the title, but didn't actually address the thesis, as it didn't state anything about science or religion.

It may not mention religion, but I'm sure that somewhere along the lines it talks about faith. And the title certainly mentions "denying science"...which is usually only attributed to those of faith. Which many associate with the Republican party.

But hey, if you want to go by a strict reading....

How many Republicans are there that are also scientists? Answer: Millions. So how can Republicans "deny science" if there are so many Republicans that are scientists?

It may not mention religion, but I'm sure that somewhere along the lines it talks about faith. And the title certainly mentions "denying science"...which is usually only attributed to those of faith. Which many associate with the Republican party.

But hey, if you want to go by a strict reading....

How many Republicans are there that are also scientists? Answer: Millions. So how can Republicans "deny science" if there are so many Republicans that are scientists?

It's certainly an exaggeration based on a tendency towards refuting climate change among those on the right. The thesis statement simply says: "Authoritarian people have a stronger emotional need for an outlet like FOX, where they can find find affirmations and escape factual challenges to their beliefs."

That is an incredibly biased and easily refuted thesis statement, but it makes no mention of either science or religion. One could easily point out its many obvious flaws, such as the apparent belief that conservatives have a monopoly on being aurhoritaria, or how the thesis places tendencies toward political escapism solely on the shoulders of Republicans. However, reading the single-sentence thesis is required to refute it properly.

This will end incredibly well. My favorite thing about this site is how maturely and calmly people respond to insulting threads from across the aisle.
"The Financial Times gave the book a favorable review, describing it as an "intelligent, nuanced and persuasive account" of psychological differences in political behavior" Love it, much proof of the premise of the book is the responses from the right here.

It's certainly an exaggeration based on a tendency towards refuting climate change among those on the right. The thesis statement simply says: "Authoritarian people have a stronger emotional need for an outlet like FOX, where they can find find affirmations and escape factual challenges to their beliefs."

That is an incredibly biased and easily refuted thesis statement, but it makes no mention of either science or religion. One could easily point out its many obvious flaws, such as the apparent belief that conservatives have a monopoly on being aurhoritaria, or how the thesis places tendencies toward political escapism solely on the shoulders of Republicans. However, reading the single-sentence thesis is required to refute it properly.
The book does deal with the blind anti science beliefs of the right and the Idea that they have support by real scientist supporting the issue they deny or support. I'm sure it is a hard read for the right because it defines them quiet well , there has to be some reason why the broadcasting company with the worst truth record Fox(pundifacts) is supported by any group with normal thinking perimeters.

Nothing suggest that the right has any monopoly over anything but you suggesting it does says quite a lot. It says that the right falls into these boxes way more than normal thinking people but not all inclusive.

THE REPUBLICAN BRAIN.

I have always recognized FOXnews as the propaganda narrative. It is often the mouthpiece for the Pentagon and the CIA and the leader in defending the indefensible. I wondered why people needed it and now the question is answered. So, you think it is a Republican need or an echo chamber to re-enforce the malleable mind? Great sports channel.

We all know how lame and biased Fox is, but it's vastly outnumbered by lame networks with a liberal bias.

The book does deal with the blind anti science beliefs of the right and the Idea that they have support by real scientist supporting the issue they deny or support. I'm sure it is a hard read for the right because it defines them quiet well , there has to be some reason why the broadcasting company with the worst truth record Fox(pundifacts) is supported by any group with normal thinking perimeters.

This is precious coming from people that think science does not prove that someone with testicles, a penis, and Y chromosome is male. "blind anti science beliefs" indeed.

Nothing suggest that the right has any monopoly over anything but you suggesting it does says quite a lot. It says that the right falls into these boxes way more than normal thinking people but not all inclusive.

I was simply suggesting that the phrasing of the thesis was suggestive of that suggestion.

"The Financial Times gave the book a favorable review, describing it as an "intelligent, nuanced and persuasive account" of psychological differences in political behavior" Love it, much proof of the premise of the book is the responses from the right here.

Phrasing is everything. People find things insulting when it is implied that their opinions are challenged by facts, regardless of whether or no its true.

Millions and millions.

Phrasing is everything. People find things insulting when it is implied that their opinions are challenged by facts, regardless of whether or no its true.
That would be true.

This is precious coming from people that think science does not prove that someone with testicles, a penis, and Y chromosome is male. "blind anti science beliefs" indeed.
This is how far a regressive has to go in their thinking process to spread their goofiness.

We all know how lame and biased Fox is, but it's vastly outnumbered by lame networks with a liberal bias.
It only looks like it leans to the left when your that far of in da da land in the outer boundaries of the right

I have always recognized FOXnews as the propaganda narrative. It is often the mouthpiece for the Pentagon and the CIA and the leader in defending the indefensible. I wondered why people needed it and now the question is answered. So, you think it is a Republican need or an echo chamber to re-enforce the malleable mind? Great sports channel.
I know of only one study that looked into it, It was pundifacts, it seems to be associated to politifacts. There process to do this study is reasonable, but the outcome destroys FOX CRAP NEWS and Rush Fatty, Fox lies 60% of the time and Rush lies 85% of the time. Both being the poorest by far.

I know of only one study that looked into it, It was pundifacts, it seems to be associated to politifacts. There process to do this study is reasonable, but the outcome destroys FOX CRAP NEWS and Rush Fatty, Fox lies 60% of the time and Rush lies 85% of the time. Both being the poorest by far.

Link please.

THE REPUBLICAN BRAIN.

I guess I don't really see the point of it. Everyone who's going to understand the book already knows this is how these people think. The people who really need to understand it will likely reject it for the same reasons they reject everything else.

When I hit about 30, I began operating with an acceptance that any of my opinions or views could be completely wrong based on facts I had been previously ignorant of. It was difficult at first, since admitting that level of personal ignorance seems almost contrary to human nature, but once I got accustomed to it, I've found it's a great way to live.

Edit: #feeltheme lol

Back
Top Bottom