• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A great day For the Iraqis

CSA_TX

Reaction score
I was just thinking what a monumental weekend this is. Thanks to GW Bush and the military as well as our true Allies the Iraqis get the chance to vote for their government representatives and move their country forward. For the past 30 yrs the Iraqis have been able to vote however only one name was on the ballot. However now the name that was on the ballot sits in a jail cell and the Iraqis are free to vote. Way to go Bush and Millitary!! The Iraqis and the Americans thank you for our freedom.

Last edited:
Yep, only one name on the ballot and if you didn't vote that guy bad things were known to happen to you and your family.

Let's all hope there less bloodshed then expected, get these elections going and get our troops home. Safe and sound.

Hooray for the Iraquis!

Tons of polling places being bombed and hurting people!

Thousands of people evacuating cities to avoid getting caught up in the bombings!

Hardly anyone voting because its so dangerous!

Hooray!

Gabo

According to the State Department, 14.27 million Iraqis have already registered to vote. In Anbar and Nineveh provinces voters will register and cast their ballots at the same time

Voters will cast ballots similar to this one at the 30,000 polling stations throughout Iraq. Six thousand polling centers, serving as regional headquarters, will oversee the polling stations.

Iraqis living in 14 other countries will be casting ballots. The United States, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Holland, Sweden, Denmark, Turkey, UAE, Syria, Jordan, Iran and Australia will host polling locations. Polls will be open in all locations from January 28-30. According to Iraq's Out-of-Country Voting Program, more than 280,000 Iraqis are registered to vote. Out of country voters may cast ballots for the National Assembly, but not for provincial councils.

There are 18,000 Iraqi election monitors who have been trained. Voting will also be monitored by 23,000 representatives of the political parties. In addition, 128 international monitors are registered, including members of Human Rights Watch and the National Democratic Institute.

Source cnn.com

Looks like freedom to me. But then again I'm just a lazy infadel american!

Gabo said:
Hooray for the Iraquis!

Tons of polling places being bombed and hurting people!

Thousands of people evacuating cities to avoid getting caught up in the bombings!

Hardly anyone voting because its so dangerous!

Hooray!

Can't we at least hold out hope for the elections? Iraqi's living outside of Iraq have been voting, in large numbers, all day. I was watching CNN and the BBC earlier today and it sounded like there were a lot of places where the elections may not have that many problems. In fact they're expecting a larger turn out then the US's last election. Personally I see these elections as a step to getting our troops home. I'd like to think that our efforts have been worth something. I'd like to at least hold out for the hope that this will come off better then a lot are predicting.

Right or wrong, I think the Bush administration will be judged on the success of Iraq.
If things go well in Iraq, and our troops begin coming home in next 4 years, then Bush will have a good legacy as president...despite what he's done to our economy and debt.

If Iraq is still a mecca of violence and civil war...then Bush will be seen as a failed President.

I would just like to point out that, when it comes to democracy, the US is quite contradictory. We supported a ruthless dictator in the Zaire for 34 years. We have no concerns about the Saudis although their gov't backs terrorists and their gov't is a monarchy. I still don't know why we're in Iraq, but it's not to ensure that democracy prevails, I can tell you that.

There IS good news in Iraq.Radio talk show host Edd Hendee reports from Iraq daily and posts his reports on http://www.lonestartimes.com He recently found a need for armor on some of the humvees and they are raising money to protect our soldiers.It is very legit, 100% of all funds raised go directly to the troops. If you are not confortable with that, at least check out his story. The main stream media is missing good stories because they are so focused on the violence and bombings for rattings.

Like any good person I hope the best for the suffering innocent Iraqi people, I hope they have a stable country. Lets not be fooled though the Iraqi insurgents and foreign terrorists will not just give up just because an election has took place. And I fear that even with Coalition troops gone, the Iraqi people we still be attacked as they are seen as an American puppet.

Also I'm afraid if Iraq is a success, Bush and co will feel more confident of invading other countries. I don't think you fighting men will get a break for too long.

The most stable and pure democracys are not suddenly enforced in a few seconds, they are created by internal revolutions (America, France) or the slow progession of time (Britain). The young generation of Iran will rise up eventually and North Korea is a failing state, it is likely to collaspe as the USSR.

Like a said more invade Iran at your peril.

Sorry for being pessimistic, but unless America adopts dipomacy and not "going it alone" I can only be pessimistic. I pray that I'm wrong, but you have to look at every possibility.

GarzaUK said:
The most stable and pure democracys are not suddenly enforced in a few seconds, they are created by internal revolutions (America, France) or the slow progession of time (Britain). The young generation of Iran will rise up eventually and North Korea is a failing state, it is likely to collaspe as the USSR.

Exactly. You/we just can't install our version of democracy and expect it to work for anyone else. I'm not even sure that's what we're trying to do in Iraq. But the bottom line is there's a whole bunch of people here Stateside willing to ignore some basic facts. Facts like If someone invaded us, even if it was for our own good, we'd fight them till the last man's last breath. Sure there's Iraqi's who support us. But there's a s**tload of them that don't and even if we are trying to turn on their power, water or phone service they're still going to think we're only after their oil.

37 dead for the elections.

I heard there was 72% turnout. However, how much of that was double voting and falsified documents? We'll never know, but I highly doubt the vote was legitamate.

How can you double vote if you have ink on your finger. It was a legit election and only 37 dead. Is that all the insurgency can do. Things will go uphill from here. Some of you dems just see the bad in everything. It seems to me, heyjoeo, as if you wanted the election to go bad.

Jeez.

They voted, they have a government.

Now lets get the heck outta there! :cool:

Hi GABO Yes you are right I also commend the Irqui's .It shows a increadable amount of corage :applaud :applaud :applaud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent Monday calling my Congressman & 2 Senators & my Govenors office
Telling them How great it was to see the Irqui's voting and SHAME, SHAME
SHAME on us !!. They were in 150% agreement

Spell / Gramer check

And again I say SHAME !! SHAME !! SHAME !! on a lot of American citizens
Who will not go and VOTE!!

I don't care what reason you may have !!!! . If you don't like any of the canidates
Spell / Gramer check
If you have to you go and write in ""MAN ON THE MOON "" writer in

""""I'M AS MAD AS HELLL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"""

Just go out and vote "" JUST DO IT !!!!! """

With our current state of this country, I don't blame so many people for not voting.

Our ballots need a "None of the Above" choice.

Then, if the majority of the nation doesn't like any candidate, new ones may be found and a second election created to decide once again.

This will ensure that our country truly is getting the President it wants, rather than people being FORCED to choose between the lesser of two evils.

You guys shouldn't have a two party system, its crazy. American's only get two choices and there are probably alot of the people who don't really agree with either of them. Like any other country more parties should be in power.

In our government class, we discussed, that after the US forces pull out (if they ever do) the lords and high power officals will take over again, and it will be a repeat. Kinda a lose-lose situation.

Chaos10187 said:
In our government class, we discussed, that after the US forces pull out (if they ever do) the lords and high power officals will take over again, and it will be a repeat. Kinda a lose-lose situation.

I think this whole Iraq war was a complete mistake. That being said, I don't see how anyone can know for sure what's going to happen once we do leave. I do think we're going to leave, though I have no idea when.

GarzaUK said:
You guys shouldn't have a two party system, its crazy. American's only get two choices and there are probably alot of the people who don't really agree with either of them. Like any other country more parties should be in power.
America is land of the ignorant.

People don't want to spend time searching for a party that best reflects their views and principles, so they just choose between the two giants.

Many people vote simply on what party a person belongs to as well, regardless of what the person actually plans on doing.

I can't believe that I actually agree with Gabo, on this anyway. 1st time for everything. I would like to see at least a third party if not a fourth. We do not have an ignorant people,this is the information era for a reason. The problem is apathy. Politics are dull to some people(I can't imagine why!) that spend too much time wanting entertainment. That's ok with me, if not many people vote than my vote is worth more right?

I love politics!

It's like a game to see who wins at what!

Of course I always win! :D

At least in my eyes i do.... :rolleyes:

Pacridge said:
I think this whole Iraq war was a complete mistake. That being said, I don't see how anyone can know for sure what's going to happen once we do leave. I do think we're going to leave, though I have no idea when.

I agree on the Iraq being a mistake. No one KNOWS but its more of a prediction. I think it to be close of what could happen.

Iraq was not just a mistake, it was, and still is an illegal occupation based on a lie. A reckless act which has placed the world in far greater danger than ever before. War on terrorism? How can you have a war on something you can't substantiate? Spin and lies - nothing more.

The world was a far safer place when the only war the Americans had to worry about was the war on obesity.

Urethra Franklin said:
Iraq was not just a mistake, it was, and still is an illegal occupation based on a lie. A reckless act which has placed the world in far greater danger than ever before. War on terrorism? How can you have a war on something you can't substantiate? Spin and lies - nothing more.

The world was a far safer place when the only war the Americans had to worry about was the war on obesity.

How exactly is it an "illegal occupation?" Bush went to congress, congress approved. How is this illegal?

Chaos10187 said:
I agree on the Iraq being a mistake. No one KNOWS but its more of a prediction. I think it to be close of what could happen.

Well what were the "predictions" regarding the Iraqi elections? I think this was a huge mistake. But I'd like to at least hold out some hope that some good can come from it. We were told we "had" to go into Iraq because of the threat they poised with their WMD's and their connections with Al Quada. Of course none of this was true and there's a lot of evidence that many in the intel community were trying to tell the Bush team that it wasn't. So now we spent something like 160 billion of our tax dollars to over throw an evil dictator. So, yes major mistake. But now we're there and pulling a cut and run is only going to make things worse. So let's see if we can't do some good. Otherwise all we've done is waste lives and money.

Back
Top Bottom