• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A good man with a gun stops a shooting and still gets killed by police!!!!

Police should not be able to use lethal force unless they have been fired upon.
So, just "tough luck" to anyone else under threat of being shot? Until the bad guy shoots at a cop he has free fire?

So, just "tough luck" to anyone else under threat of being shot? Until the bad guy shoots at a cop he has free fire?

No, if the person has a weapon and is threatening the cop, then the cop has a right to self defense like any other citizen. When that is not the case, the cop should wait long enough to determine the situation. Too often the cop shoots first ans then finds out what the situation is? In this situation the cop was told the man holding the gun was a guard by many in the crowd, but he shot the man anyway. Cops are trained to be aware of the situation around them, so he had to know the man holding the gun was a good guy. Apparently not, as the good guy died and the bad guy is still alive. Cops like any other citizen have to be prepared to pay for their mistakes, especially when it comes to taking a life. Murder no, manslaughter yes.

Except that if you look at all the data, not just percentage of population, that is not true. The graph just showed raw numbers, I will concede that, but that does not change the larger truth.

You know after this shooting, if I was a black guard and someone came into the place I was guarding and started shooting, I would walk out the back door and tell myself, I am not going to get shot by a cop just to save someone else.

not alot of info on what happened yet . .

seems the only thing known is the crowd was telling the police he was security and he was wearing articles identifying as such but nothing else

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ed-police-officer-responding-shooting-n935311
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/us/police-officer-shoots-security-guard-chicago.html
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cop-accidentally-kills-security-guard-at-bar-in-chicago-suburbs
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...lly-shoots-security-guard-chicago-suburbs-bar

gotta wait for more info for me to have an opinion but it does "seem" like an office with poor training and way to quick of a trigger finger . . . even in my head to invent a story that would justify the shooting it takes a lot . . .

No, if the person has a weapon and is threatening the cop, then the cop has a right to self defense like any other citizen.
I agree, but the poster I was replying to said cops couldn't shoot until they were shot at.

When that is not the case, the cop should wait long enough to determine the situation. Too often the cop shoots first ans then finds out what the situation is?[/quote]I think we need a little more information on this incident.

independentusa said:
In this situation the cop was told the man holding the gun was a guard by many in the crowd, but he shot the man anyway. Cops are trained to be aware of the situation around them, so he had to know the man holding the gun was a good guy. Apparently not, as the good guy died and the bad guy is still alive. Cops like any other citizen have to be prepared to pay for their mistakes, especially when it comes to taking a life. Murder no, manslaughter yes.
Well, that's ONE narrative of the situation. I'm wondering if the security guard was wearing a uniform for one thing, I'm also sure the bystanders WEREN'T chanting "security, security" in unison and they may have, in fact added to the situation.

You know after this shooting, if I was a black guard and someone came into the place I was guarding and started shooting, I would walk out the back door and tell myself, I am not going to get shot by a cop just to save someone else.

I am sure you make your parents proud.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...rd-shot-by-police_us_5be9a032e4b0caeec2bbcbb3
A black security guard at a bar stops a shooting and captures one of the suspects and then gets shot and killed by police for his actions. The police were told by the patrons that the man was a security guard, but they still shot him. Want to bet there is no action taken by the police against the shooter. I guess the saying is that if you are a good white person with a gun you can stop a shooting and still not get killed yourself by the police.

Without even reading beyong the thread title, I already knew the "good guy" could have only been African-American.

This is America. "Good guys with a gun" have to be white in order to survive a shooting.

You make this sound like the wild west where the cops shoot first and ask questions later. Do you realize that is why so many coop shootings lately have been questioned. This is especially true when it comes to the shooting of black men vs white men. And yes, I would expect the cop to be listening to what the crowd was saying. Maybe he was so focused on the people involved that he never took the time to ACTUALLY find out what was going on. SO he saved the poor shooter and killed the guard. I guess some people will always make excuses for cops shooting black men no matter what.
That's because people like Beaudreaux get off on seeing black men get shot. His wild rabid rant was nothing more than a cover for his racism.

I am sure you make your parents proud.

I think my parents would rather have me alive than shot by a policeman like happens often when the person in question is black. And it matters little if the cop is white or black.

I think my parents would rather have me alive than shot by a policeman like happens often when the person in question is black. And it matters little if the cop is white or black.

Well, then, your parents are pretty selfish as well. I would rather help complete strangers knowing I was going to die than ditch out the back like a coward to protect myself knowing others would parish. Then again, I am just one of those racist, sexist, bigoted, deplorable, uneducated rubes that called himself a conservative.

Well, then, your parents are pretty selfish as well. I would rather help complete strangers knowing I was going to die than ditch out the back like a coward to protect myself knowing others would parish. Then again, I am just one of those racist, sexist, bigoted, deplorable, uneducated rubes that called himself a conservative.

There is a huge difference between a conservative and a Trump cultist. Most conservatives are none of those things you say you are while many of the Trump cultists are.

Pretty much. And we do not punish the State or its agents when they abuse power, nor do we demand better training and changes in protocol.

What's even more irrational is that you continue to demand that these people are necessary and good.

You make this sound like the wild west where the cops shoot first and ask questions later. Do you realize that is why so many coop shootings lately have been questioned. This is especially true when it comes to the shooting of black men vs white men. And yes, I would expect the cop to be listening to what the crowd was saying. Maybe he was so focused on the people involved that he never took the time to ACTUALLY find out what was going on. SO he saved the poor shooter and killed the guard. I guess some people will always make excuses for cops shooting black men no matter what.

1. The west wasn't wild. This isn't the movies.
2. Shooting first and asking questions later is exactly what cops do. They also add the step of making up the story of what happens so they don't get in trouble later.
3. The problem here is that cops exist. The trouble came from him believing he had authority over others, and inserting himself into the situation. One cannot insert themselves into a defense situation without perfect knowledge. This is the perfect example of what I mean when I say the government mitigates the risk of being a bad actor.

gotta wait for more info for me to have an opinion but it does "seem" like an office with poor training and way to quick of a trigger finger . . . even in my head to invent a story that would justify the shooting it takes a lot . . .

If you listen to Kaepernick, poor police training is one of the issues he talks about.

It should be obvious by now that many police officers are a danger to their communities due to lack of training. The Black guy shot in his own apartment by a police officer is proof of this. Imagine the total lack of trigger discipline needed to shoot someone after you mistakenly enter the wrong apartment. That cop was always an accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your basis for the claim that a white man holding a gun on a person is as likely to be shot as a black man in the same situation? The lived experience tends to support the observation that cops disproportionately shoot more black men, in any given situation. It would be racist to deny this was so.

The fact that cops shoot more whites than blacks.

not alot of info on what happened yet . .

seems the only thing known is the crowd was telling the police he was security and he was wearing articles identifying as such but nothing else

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ed-police-officer-responding-shooting-n935311
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/us/police-officer-shoots-security-guard-chicago.html
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cop-accidentally-kills-security-guard-at-bar-in-chicago-suburbs
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...lly-shoots-security-guard-chicago-suburbs-bar

seems this is getting more messy.

still confirmed people were telling the officer he was security and he had security attire on...

now it seems that people are claiming no orders were given....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-police-witnesses-security-guard-wouldnt-drop-gun-154137861.html

Police started in Britain in the Victorian age.

They were unarmed. The society they were sent into was fiully armed. Even their stick (trunchion) was concealed in a special pockety. They wore black because taht was the colour of servsants then. Today's equivalent would be high vis yellow.

They were massively effective. The crime avalanche ended.

I have the impression that the police in America consider themselves at war with the public. Stop it!

Back
Top Bottom