• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A good article about Israel's destruction of the news building

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I just read the restrictions on this forum, and found some excessive in limiting being able to tell the truth, so right now I am planning not to participate in the Middle East forum with commentary (even if most were good rules). But this is a good article on Israel's attack on the news.

I just read the restrictions on this forum, and found some excessive in limiting being able to tell the truth, so right now I am planning not to participate in the Middle East forum with commentary (even if most were good rules). But this is a good article on Israel's attack on the news.

Who were the other tenants in the building and how many journalists or other news employees were hurt or killed? You know, news type information.

It’s not a “good article,” it’s an anti-Israeli op-ed.

There is absolutely no mention of the Israeli claim that Hamas was using that building. That claim may be true or it may be false, but to not mention that claim and assert opinion as fact — as this “article” does when it states the attack’s purpose was to silence media coverage — is an exercise in propaganda.

Well done, Craig’. You’re doing a fine job toting the water for Terror Inc.

There is absolutely no mention of the Israeli claim that Hamas was using that building. That claim may be true or it may be false, but to not mention that claim and assert opinion as fact — as this “article” does when it states the attack’s purpose was to silence media coverage — is an exercise in propaganda.

So you are claiming that Netanyahu has no interest in suppressing the media in Gaza and believe that ridiculous claim that the building was destroyed because Hamas was using it? If that claim had any truth to it, you must also think the press knew about it and were complicit. Why do you hate the free press?

For those who prefer the truth...

“Despite [Israel] giving forewarning, AP reacted with righteous indignation, expressing ‘shock’ and ‘horror’ that ‘the Israeli military would target and destroy the building housing AP’s bureau and other news organizations in Gaza,’” posted David Lange, operator of the popular Israellycool site.

“I believe they are lying and absolutely knew Hamas was in the building,” added Lange, citing comments from the building’s owner immediately before the attack and remarks from former AP reporter Matti Friedman who blew the whistle on the agency’s refusal to tell the truth about Hamas in 2014.

In support, Lange quoted Friedman’s 2014 comments: “The AP staff in Gaza City would witness a rocket launch right beside their office, endangering reporters and other civilians nearby—and the AP wouldn’t report it, not even in AP articles about Israeli claims that Hamas was launching rockets from residential areas.”

Friedman continued, “Hamas fighters would burst into the AP’s Gaza bureau and threaten the staff—and the AP wouldn’t report it. . . Cameramen waiting outside Shifa Hospital in Gaza City would film the arrival of civilian casualties and then, at a signal from an official, turn off their cameras when wounded and dead fighters came in, helping Hamas maintain the illusion that only civilians were dying. (This too happened; the information comes from multiple sources with firsthand knowledge of these incidents.)”

Who were the other tenants in the building and how many journalists or other news employees were hurt or killed? You know, news type information.
Do you actually believe that those news organizations would cover up or not know if Hamas was using that building?

For those who prefer the truth...

There was not one shred of "truth" in your post. It was entirely biased innuendo with ZERO evidence to back up their claims. Netanyahu is controlling this entire war from start to finish. It is Israel's very own Reichstag fire and was set off by his ultra right wing goons in Jerusalem and Israeli cities that are obviously under his control. Netty has been unable to form a Govt. after 5 elections in the last year and was about to ousted as President if you want to know why he picked this time for his coup.

This was the beginning of all this and happened at the end of April and has been spreading to every city in Israel where the Palestinians live and work.

The worst fighting in days broke out on Thursday night after hundreds of Jewish extremists from the ultra-nationalist Lehava group marched towards the Damascus Gate entrance of Jerusalem's Old City - where large numbers of Palestinians had gathered - chanting "Death to Arabs".

Stones and bottles were thrown between the two sides, and police used stun grenades, tear gas and water cannon to try to disperse the crowds.
The Palestinian Red Crescent said at least 100 Palestinians were injured, while police said 20 officers were hurt. More than 50 people were arrested.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56854275

Last edited:

With Hamas, an authoritarian terrorist organization, being literally democratically elected in Gaza it's almost assured that the news is run by them.

With Hamas, an authoritarian terrorist organization, being literally democratically elected in Gaza it's almost assured that the news is run by them.
I'm sure you have some hard evidence of this claim since we know the Right wing in the country never makes false statements without evidence and all Americans support a free press. :LOL: :LOL:

So you are claiming that Netanyahu has no interest in suppressing the media in Gaza and believe that ridiculous claim that the building was destroyed because Hamas was using it? If that claim had any truth to it, you must also think the press knew about it and were complicit. Why do you hate the free press?
Try using your brain here. This “article” is a one-sided hit piece regardless of whether Israel’s claim is true or false.

Try using your brain here. This “article” is a one-sided hit piece regardless of whether Israel’s claim is true or false.
So the press building was not really destroyed then? All the evidence says it was.

I'm sure you have some hard evidence of this claim since we know the Right wing in the country never makes false statements without evidence and all Americans support a free press. :LOL: :LOL:
What claim do you need support for?

That Hamas is a terrorist organization?
That Hamas was elected as the Gazan government?
That Hamas is authoritarian?

Just want to narrow the request down to eliminate future dodges using ambiguity as an escape route.

No one is going to provide you with documents and files during times of war.
The US has had this information shared with.

Try reading my first post in this thread again. Slowly this time.
Was the press building destroyed? Do right wing wannabe dictators have a problem with the free press? Both are true. Try and be objective.

No one is going to provide you with documents and files during times of war.
The US has had this information shared with.
How did destroying that building hurt Hamas? No one was killed. It destroyed all the equipment that the press uses to send out their news though.

How did destroying that building hurt Hamas? No one was killed. It destroyed all the equipment that the press uses to send out their news though.
No one was killed because Israel allowed everyone to evacuate whether they're Hamas or uninvolved civilians, as it always does in such cases.
Hamas militants were not the target, what's inside the building was.
What Israel gained from that? The IDF, Hamas and the US know.

Hamas IS, for all practical purposes, THE government in Gaza, correct?
You, you and you...go set up a news agency office in "Country X" which is at war with Country Y, and let me know the instant you find a building to house your news agency that the local "X" government is absolutely not going to interfere with.

Sorry, but news agencies have been located in war torn countries ever since there were news agencies. One of the problems WITH setting up an office in a war torn country is that you have to make accommodations that satisfy that country's government, and those accommodations may very well mean the difference between your presence there, or NOT.
As of this writing, AP and AJ have no more presence in Gaza.
I guarantee you Israel will be obligated to make good with both networks re the equipment lost in the blasts, and I also guarantee you that both will renew their efforts to get office space in Gaza again.

And guess what?
They're going to both have to negotiate with HAMAS in order to do so, unless one of you can share a secret way to avoid that.
Anyone out there in DP land know of a way to set up a news network office in Gaza WITHOUT dealing with HAMAS?

Sorry, but this still amounts to Israel censoring Western news coverage of the war, but I assure you, it will not last very long, because both AP and AJ will replace their lost equipment and reintegrate themselves and their presence in Gaza whether Israel approves or not. Their insurance costs will be significantly higher however, as I am certain their insurance was already ridiculously high as it was.

No one was killed because Israel allowed everyone to evacuate whether they're Hamas or uninvolved civilians, as it always does in such cases.
Hamas militants were not the target, what's inside the building was.
What Israel gained from that? The IDF, Hamas and the US know.
What was inside that building that Hamas could not remove when they evacuated? Why didn't they send a strike force into the building instead? Then they could have caught the terrorists and seized all their files/weapons. Is "whack a mole" really a strategic tactic?

Conservatives: screech about “exercises in propaganda”.

Also conservatives: post a site literally named “United With Israel”, expect anyone to take them seriously.

🙄
I'm sure you prefer "I Hate Israel"...much more credible, right?

Hamas IS, for all practical purposes, THE government in Gaza, correct?
You, you and you...go set up a news agency office in "Country X" which is at war with Country Y, and let me know the instant you find a building to house your news agency that the local "X" government is absolutely not going to interfere with.

Sorry, but news agencies have been located in war torn countries ever since there were news agencies. One of the problems WITH setting up an office in a war torn country is that you have to make accommodations that satisfy that country's government, and those accommodations may very well mean the difference between your presence there, or NOT.
As of this writing, AP and AJ have no more presence in Gaza.
I guarantee you Israel will be obligated to make good with both networks re the equipment lost in the blasts, and I also guarantee you that both will renew their efforts to get office space in Gaza again.

And guess what?
They're going to both have to negotiate with HAMAS in order to do so, unless one of you can share a secret way to avoid that.
Anyone out there in DP land know of a way to set up a news network office in Gaza WITHOUT dealing with HAMAS?

Sorry, but this still amounts to Israel censoring Western news coverage of the war, but I assure you, it will not last very long, because both AP and AJ will replace their lost equipment and reintegrate themselves and their presence in Gaza whether Israel approves or not. Their insurance costs will be significantly higher however, as I am certain their insurance was already ridiculously high as it was.

Hamas was using the building for some of part their terrorist operations and the rocket attacks against Israel. That makes the building a legitimate military target according to any international rules on combat. Israel then made the correct move to give adequate advance notice to civilians and other non combatants to evacuate before taking out those military targets.

Like it or not, there is no obligation from anyone to assure that a legitimate combat target is not harmed or destroyed, when combatants are using those locations for their operations. AP and AJ probably did not know Hamas was using the buildings in that way, but you can't blame Israel for that. Terrorist groups ROUTINELY use schools, hospitals, or even mosques for cover, and that is what people need to be angry about. These terrorist put civilians at risk, and then hope civilians end up killed in Israeli retaliatory strikes to use that as propaganda.

News agencies operating inside Gaza already know that Gaza is being governed by a terrorist group who is engaged in a war with Isreal, so those news agencies need to assume all the risks associated with that. I don't see Israel obligated to pay for lost equiptment by news agencies, that is what insurance companies cover.

What was inside that building that Hamas could not remove when they evacuated? Why didn't they send a strike force into the building instead? Then they could have caught the terrorists and seized all their files/weapons. Is "whack a mole" really a strategic tactic?
You can't send forces into Gaza City as if it's a trip to your backyard. Only when troops are with boots on the ground.

Hamas was using the building for some of part their terrorist operations and the rocket attacks against Israel.

Did you actually read what I said?
Guess not, because by your logic news agencies cannot set up an office ANYWHERE in ANY war torn country.
Someone or some group aligned with that country MIGHT be there, at some point in time.
By your logic it's even possibly to justify a hit because one resident had a subscription to a Hamas newspaper.
Of course Israel can say that Hamas was using the building...Hamas uses whatever building they damn well want just like Putin uses whatever building HE damn well wants, just like Erdogan, just like Bolsonairo, just like any tyrant.

So, you're saying that you ARE UNABLE to set up a news agency office in Gaza, because a Hamas official may waltz in there at some point and "use the building".
Either that or you lack an understanding of how Hamas operates in Gaza.

Back
Top Bottom