• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Four-Decade Secret: The Untold Story of Sabotaging Jimmy Carter’s Re-election

I don't know how old you are but it would seem you aren't really all that up on how much the hostage crisis was played up in the national news each night after night for over 400 days. It had a huge impact.
I'm a few years too young granted - the empire strikes back was bigger on my agenda around that time. However I can read, and given what we know of presidential politics, despite Carter being done dirty on the hostage crisis, there were likely more typical issues at the front of voters minds that year.

Meh. JFK used the information he got from his national security briefings on the planned Cuban invasion to hamstring Nixon in the Presidential debates.

Politics is a rough game.
JFK used national security briefing information???. Hell no! He didn't know anything about the proposed CIA Bay of Pigs Operation until after he became President. Let me give you an example of how JFK treated the info given to him in his national security briefing as the nominee. JFK in his campaign continuously hammered away at the Eisenhower Administration and Eisenhower's stumping for Nixon on a widely perceived existing "missile gap" and/or bomber gap between the US and the Soviet Union. Criticizing the Repubs for being weak on national defense and security. After he learned in his security briefing that that the "gap" was actually heavilly the other way around in the US's favor he personally reached out to President Eisenhower to apologize for having so aggressively pushed that apparently completely false narrative. Which Eisenhower was at liberty to publicly counter because it was classified information What really did Nixon in the debates was visual cues rather than substance. People who listened to the debate on radio thought that Nixon came out ahead on substance or was at very least equal.

The people who watched the tv broadcast of it came away with an entirely different viewpoint. The gap in the two candidates appearance on tv wasn't just due to charisma. About a month before the debate Nixon bashed his knee on a car door and developed an infection that hospitalized him for two weeks. After which he emerged frail and 20 lbs lighter. On the evening of the debate as luck would have it he banged his knee stepping out of the car reaggravating it. He was also just recovering from a recent bout with the flu while still running a fever and looked drained and sweaty. While Kennedy being tanned from a series of outdoor campaigning events looked comparatively young and vigorous, calm and confident. TV was a relatively new thing and politicians were trying to figure out the right formula for interacting with public in this new visual and intimate medium and Kennedy seemed to nail it. Staring directly into the camera as he answered each question where as Nixon looked off to the side to address various reporters giving the impression to the viewers that he was avoiding eye contact with them. Which is not a good look for someone with nickname "Tricky Dick".

Last edited:
Meh. JFK used the information he got from his national security briefings on the planned Cuban invasion to hamstring Nixon in the Presidential debates.

Politics is a rough game.

LOL! So are sedition and treason...

I posted this on a poll thread addressing this G.O.P. "tradition"

On the slim chance you really aren't aware of why Trump and his ilk make our (a large % of 81 million voters) skin crawl....

-snip-

Mystery Man: William Rhodes Davis, Nazi Agent of Influence - Page 157

books.google.com › books
Dale Harrington · 2001 · ‎Snippet view
FOUND INSIDE – PAGE 157
91 In late October , Davis saw to it that copies of his documents on the proposed peace conference of October 1939 reached key figures in the Republican Party , including former president Hoover , Sam Pryor , and Verne Marshall .

Mystery Man: William Rhodes Davis, Nazi Agent of Influence - Page 152

books.google.com › books
Dale Harrington · 2001 · ‎
FOUND INSIDE – PAGE 152
Pryor used his private plane to fly Davis to meet with Willkie , who was then at his home in Rushville , Indiana . ... the federal election law and suggested that the money be given to various Willkie clubs to maintain the legalities .

http://books.google.com/...
Mystery Man: William Rhodes Davis, Nazi Agent of Influence‎ - Page 166
by Dale Harrington - History - 1999 - 276 pages

"...The trip supposedly was purely for pleasure, as Willkie said to reporters, "I am not even going to talk politics."1 ' Despite this declaration, on December 11, Sam Pryor, Willkie's former campaign manager, invited Davis to Hobe Sound (aka Jupiter Island) to meet with Willkie.
Accompanied by Marshall, Davis went to Florida to persuade Willkie to oppose President Roosevelt's aid-to-Britain policy.
According to Willkie, Davis and Marshall were only two of at least fifty people who argued with him on the war issue.12 Davis and Marshall stayed two days...There was a long procession of persons, including some of ...
to see Willkie during his vacation stay in Florida. These emissaries tried
to convince him that there was still political capital to be made out of..."

https://www.nytimes.com › 1946 › 10 › 23 › archives › rogge-ties-lewis-to-nazis-in-politics-tells-of-talks-with.html

ROGGE TIES LEWIS TO NAZIS IN POLITICS; Tells of Talks With Ribbentrop ...

Oct 23, 1946 WASHINGTON, Oct. 22--A political science class at Swarthmore College tonight heard from O. John Rogge, special Assistant to the Attorney General, a detailed account of efforts which Hermann...

https://content.time.com › time › magazine › article › 0,9171,777186,00.html

THE ADMINISTRATION: Out of Turn - TIME

U.S. Attorney General and prosecutor of the hapless 1944 Washington sedition trials,.. Rogge traced out the oft-told tale...

Last edited:
books.google.com/books
In Danger Undaunted
By Justus D. Doenecke, America First Committee
"...By the spring of 1940 he was meeting informally with students who feared direct involvement and with such kindred spirits among the Yale law faculty as Edwin M. Bourchard and Fred Rodell.
Late in the spring of 1940, Stuart and four other law students - among them future president Gerald R. Ford and future
Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart - launched a petition aimed at organizing college students into a nationwide
anti-interventionist organization. Their efforts centered on enforcing the key provisions of the Neutrality Act of 1939:
banning loans to belligerents and blocking shipments of war goods abroad. Insisting on cash-and-carry, the students said, "We demand that Congress refrain from war, even if England is on the verge of defeat.".."

-snip-
http://books.google.com/...
Mystery Man: William Rhodes Davis, Nazi Agent of Influence‎ - Page 166
by Dale Harrington - History - 1999 - 276 pages

"...The trip supposedly was purely for pleasure, as Willkie said to reporters, "I am not even going to talk politics."1 ' Despite this declaration, on December 11, Sam Pryor, Willkie's former campaign manager, invited Davis to Hobe Sound (aka Jupiter Island) to meet with Willkie.
Accompanied by Marshall, Davis went to Florida to persuade Willkie to oppose President Roosevelt's aid-to-Britain policy.
According to Willkie, Davis and Marshall were only two of at least fifty people who argued with him on the war issue.12 Davis and Marshall stayed two days...There was a long procession of persons, including some of ...
to see Willkie during his vacation stay in Florida. These emissaries tried
to convince him that there was still political capital to be made out of..."
-snip-
Pryor has Lindbergh all to himself, IOW. Anne Morrow Lindbergh is not buried there,

Davis, Abwehr agent C-80-

Never Again; a President Runs for a Third Term‎ - Page 233
by Herbert S. Parmet, Marie B. Hecht - Presidents - 1968 - 306 pages
At Davis' home in Bronxville, New York, Pryor was told that the oilman was out to ... friend to use his private airplane to fly Davis to meet with Willkie,

Wendell Willkie: Fighter for Freedom‎ - Page 559
by Ellsworth Barnard - Biography & Autobiography - 1971 - 628 pages
Willkie told me after it was all over that he had never heard of Davis before Sam Pryor told him of the oil man's willingness to pay for the Lewis broadcast

January 5, 2008
"..Just around the corner from Laulima Farms is Palapala Hoomau Church, founded in 1846 and the final resting place of Mr. Lindbergh. It is widely believed that he escaped to Hana to avoid the American press and notoriety.

The truth is he came to Hana because of his close friend, Sam Pryor, a principal executive of Pan American Airways, who bought a large estate in Kipahulu in the late 1940s, after World War II. Mr. Lindbergh was enthralled with Hana and Kipahulu, and Mr. Pryor sold him five acres of his estate in the 1960s.

Mr. Pryor was quite a character himself, rich, well-bred and with a collection of pet gibbons that were his constant companions. His nephew Leokane Pryor is a concierge at Hotel Hana-Maui.

In 1974, when Mr. Lindbergh was dying of cancer, he returned from treatment in New York to die in Hana. He and Mr. Pryor are buried yards apart in simple graves in the courtyard of Palapala Hoomau Church, near Mr. Pryor’s five gibbons."
http://samuelpryor.com/...
President George H.W. Bush: I have read every word of Make It Happen and got an enormous kick out of it.

Last edited:
Barnes waited 43 years before he decided to go public with this?

Is he feeling guilty, suddenly patriotic, or just self inflating his own importance at the time?

I think I'll "wait and see" on this one.

SHAKING HANDS WITH SADDAM

Document 2: United States Embassy in Israel Cable from Samuel W. Lewis to the Department of State. "Conversation with [Excised]," December 12, 1980.

A source says Israel will refrain from selling arms to Iran while Americans are held hostage in Tehran, but that European arms dealers were providing it with weapons with or without government approval.

(Iranian demonstrators seized the U.S. embassy in Tehran in September 1979 to protest the admission of the exiled shah to the U.S. for medical treatment, and held 52 Americans hostage. In response, the Carter administration froze Iranian assets and imposed other sanctions. The hostages were not released until January 20, 1981, the inauguration day of newly elected President Ronald Reagan.)

Source: Declassified under the Freedom of Information Act

Barnes waited 43 years before he decided to go public with this?

Is he feeling guilty, suddenly patriotic, or just self inflating his own importance at the time?

I think I'll "wait and see" on this one.
Good for you... can't be too cautious...

Critical thinker, a curse and a blessing. I've lived the curse portion, can someone share the blessing experience?

Tampico's population is less than 700.
-snip-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1981/02/28/british-lace-and-grace/9a190983-619a-4f54-8075-9b02dec12b13/
February 28, 1981
"Other congressional leaders included ..John Shaheen of New York, chairman of Shaheen Natural Resources Co., was probably the only guest who had known Reagan as a boy in Tampico, Ill. ..."
-snip-

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Roy_Furmark
Furmark was a business associate of the Iranian Cyrus Hashemi, and in March 1980 introduced William Casey to Cyrus' brother Jamshid Hashemi in the context of the Hashemis' efforts to support US-Iranian negotiations over the Iran hostage crisis. A business partner of Cyrus Hashemi's, John Shaheen, was a former boss of Furmark's.

https://www.upi.com › Archives › 1986 › 12 › 12 › Roy-Furmark-new-figure-in-Iran-Contra-probe › 9535534747600

Roy Furmark, new figure in Iran-Contra probe - UPI Archives

Dec 12, 1986 A tall, middle-aged man with a salt-and-pepper beard, Furmark heads his own company, Furmark Corp., and is a former legal client of Casey. The Washington Post reported Thursday that he called the ...

1679216472835.jpeg

• TERENCE HUNT The Associated Press
  • May 14, 1991 Updated Jan 26, 2015
Iran-Contra aside, Gates' nomination could give Democrats a forum to probe allegations that Bush was involved in a scheme in 1980 to delay the release of American hostages in Iran so Jimmy Carter would lose the presidency to Ronald Reagan.

1679216744643.jpeg

THE JFK CASE: THE TWELVE WHO BUILT THE OSWALD LEGEND (Part 5: The Double Dangle)

aarclibrary.org

By Bill Simpich [Originally published 12/27/2010]
"...Robert Webster was an employee of James H. Rand, III, president of the Rand Development Corporation that had a display at the Exhibition. Rand does not appear to be a CIA officer because he has a “201 number” that are used for foreign agents or other persons of interest, but he’s certainly a well-respected source with a special identifier – see this analysis report cover sheet Rand prepared for the Domestic Contacts division after Webster’s return.

The Assassination Records Review Board interviewed Joan Hallett in the 1990s, a temporary receptionist and the widow of the former naval attache. Hallett remembered seeing Oswald at the Embassy on September 5, right at the end of the American Exhibition, and no one could understand the discrepancy between her strong and clear and recollection and the September 5 date. The solution is simple – Hallett was mistaking Webster for Oswald. Webster disappeared on 9/10/59 – six days after the Exhibition ended. Oswald didn’t arrive in Moscow until October 16..."
1679216843486.jpeg

They're overselling the importance of the hostage crisis to that election though. Remember the economy was sagging as well (or at least perceived to be) and the encumbent has to wear it when that happens.
If it came out back then that Reagan's team was trying to prolong the hostages' captivity for political gain, it would have had a dramatic affect on the election.

It was 1980 and Jimmy Carter was in the White House, bedeviled by a hostage crisis in Iran that had paralyzed his presidency and hampered his effort to win a second term. Mr. Carter’s best chance for victory was to free the 52 Americans held captive before Election Day. That was something that Mr. Barnes said his mentor was determined to prevent.
What happened next Mr. Barnes has largely kept secret for nearly 43 years. Mr. Connally, he said, took him to one Middle Eastern capital after another that summer, meeting with a host of regional leaders to deliver a blunt message to be passed to Iran: Don’t release the hostages before the election. Mr. Reagan will win and give you a better deal.

===========
It was something many suspected, Reagan conspired to sabotage efforts to release the Americans held hostage by Iran, and thus keep them captives longer, so as to hurt Carter's re-election chances. Now, one of the people who was part of the conspiracy, comes forward.
It was always something I filed under, I don't know for a fact, I just know it's true.

The conclusion that I am forced to come to is that Republicans hate Americans.
It's not so much that they "hate Americans" as that they "love power and don't give a damn about who gets hurt in their getting it". I mean, you don't have to "hate cows" to work in a slaughter house.

It's not so much that they "hate Americans" as that they "love power and don't give a damn about who gets hurt in their getting it". I mean, you don't have to "hate cows" to work in a slaughter house.
They love the country but hate the people in it.

i00?0?

Biden said half the country is a threat to America. This is a little more serious than name calling.
When "half the country" wants to turn the clock in America back to a mythical golden age (what they think the 1950s were) rather than dealing with current (or any) reality then "half the country" IS a threat to America.

PS - It's actually only about 25%.

I was answering a question about who hates Americans more. You say that words don't matter?
Yes, I know. Pay attention to my response. The examples you gave were pathetic. Politicians insulting you. The counter example is a Republican intentionally causing Americans to stay in an Iranian prison. I think those Americans and their families felt a little more hate than you.

If it came out back then that Reagan's team was trying to prolong the hostages' captivity for political gain, it would have had a dramatic affect on the election.
Would it really? We've seen middle America vote for some pretty poor choices just because they're hurting economically at the time.

It was 1980 and Jimmy Carter was in the White House, bedeviled by a hostage crisis in Iran that had paralyzed his presidency and hampered his effort to win a second term. Mr. Carter’s best chance for victory was to free the 52 Americans held captive before Election Day. That was something that Mr. Barnes said his mentor was determined to prevent.
What happened next Mr. Barnes has largely kept secret for nearly 43 years. Mr. Connally, he said, took him to one Middle Eastern capital after another that summer, meeting with a host of regional leaders to deliver a blunt message to be passed to Iran: Don’t release the hostages before the election. Mr. Reagan will win and give you a better deal.

===========
It was something many suspected, Reagan conspired to sabotage efforts to release the Americans held hostage by Iran, and thus keep them captives longer, so as to hurt Carter's re-election chances. Now, one of the people who was part of the conspiracy, comes forward.
Carter WAS the worst president of all time. Until Biden wrested that title away from him.

===========
This is not breaking news. The Iranians have been saying for decades that they were never going to release the hostages until Carter was out.

In the end the blame falls on Carter anyway since he brought about the hostage crisis because he betrayed his own values and kissed the Shah's butt.

Literally yes. He sold weapons to terrorists, but you think this was too far for him? Lol.
The ayatollahs were not “terrorists” they were the ruling regime in the Islamic republic of Iran. Let’s not forget this entire affair began because we were forcing the Shah to repress religious Muslims and create a secular state in Iran. Then Carter when he was president and watching protests against the shah decided that we shouldn’t give Iran non lethal riot gear like tear gas so that led to soldiers being ordered to fire live rounds into protestors which resulted in revolution. Carter and his party were fully involved in this effort to suppress religious and poor Iranians

To this day we’re still trying repress Iranians as evidenced by the various failed color revolutions in Iran

===========
It wasnt that big a secret. Bill Casey lied about being in England for a conference and an Iranian arms dealer said he met Casey in Madrid that weekend. the smoking gun was Casey's aid was checked into the hotel where the arms dealer met Casey. When asked why he was in madrid, he lied about the reason.

The record search also turned up the name Robert Gray as being registered at the hotel. Gray, a public relations executive, in the fall of 1980 became a top deputy to Casey in the campaign. At first he said he was in Madrid in connection with his old firm. But when told it wasn`t in existence then, he said he was wrong on the years and showed a passport showing no foreign travel in the summer of 1980.

Now for those of old enough to remember, there were news reports of Iran assembling the hostages on election night because they thought Reagan became president right away. At the time it made no sense. In retrospect you can see they thought they were fulfilling their end of the deal. Casey Reagan and company just assumed they knew what "inauguration" meant.

Yes the GOP has a long history of cheating in elections. Reagan also traded arms for hostages in Iran-Contra.

Between 1981 and 1986, senior administration officials secretly facilitated the sale of arms to Iran, which was the subject of an arms embargo.[2] The administration hoped to use the proceeds of the arms sale to fund the Contras, a right-wing rebel group, in Nicaragua. Under the Boland Amendment, further funding of the Contras by the government had been prohibited by Congress.
The official justification for the arms shipments was that they were part of an operation to free seven American hostages being held in Lebanon by Hezbollah, an Islamist paramilitary group with Iranian ties connected to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.[3] The idea to exchange arms for hostages was proposed by Manucher Ghorbanifar, an expatriate Iranian arms dealer.[4][5][6] Some within the Reagan administration hoped the sales would influence Iran to get Hezbollah to release the hostages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Contra_affair#:~:text=After the weapon sales were,not trade arms for hostages.
the funny thing is one of Reagan's go to quips was that he would never negotiate with terrorists. He never stopped negotiating with terrorists Probably the first documented example of "every conservative accusation is really a confession".

The ayatollahs were not “terrorists” they were the ruling regime in the Islamic republic of Iran. Let’s not forget this entire affair began because we were forcing the Shah to repress religious Muslims and create a secular state in Iran. Then Carter when he was president and watching protests against the shah decided that we shouldn’t give Iran non lethal riot gear like tear gas so that led to soldiers being ordered to fire live rounds into protestors which resulted in revolution. Carter and his party were fully involved in this effort to suppress religious and poor Iranians

To this day we’re still trying repress Iranians as evidenced by the various failed color revolutions in Iran
wow, the fact that Reagan negotiated with terrorists is so undeniable you are forced to try to explain it away instead. This is a big day for you.

wow, the fact that Reagan negotiated with terrorists is so undeniable you are forced to try to explain it away instead. This is a big day for you.
The government of a state cannot be terrorists by definition

If Republicans across the nation try to defend this or make excuses then they have confirmed, once again, that they are slime.

But do we really need confirmation again?

===========
Reagan changed the Republican Party from Rockefeller Republicans to the mess we have now. Reagan is one of the nations most serious traitors.

The government of a state cannot be terrorists by definition
What's the deal with you? Old age and social media? You are entering your last chapter in life and now you must 'go hard' on others, but not yourself? The Bible doesn't teach that...

Back
Top Bottom