• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Four-Decade Secret: The Untold Story of Sabotaging Jimmy Carter’s Re-election

I guess our family was always attuned to current events.

I’m 66, and I remember it very very clearly. Of course, back then, there was always the risk that I might get drafted if the war had lasted long enough (It almost did).

Oh my family was! I was only 6 years old in 1968 and I was more interested in ponies and Barbies.

The President does not direct the activities of the Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

LOL. Do you suppose the President picks the name out of a hat? :rolleyes:

The President appoints the Chairman based on the expected monetary policy that the Fed Chairman will pursue.

BTW, Volker’s predecessor was Uncle Milty Friedman (as he was often called). And he was a right wing hero for years!

Hahahah! What? Volker's predecessor was William Miller (another Carter appointee). Milton Friedman has been Fed Chair exactly Zero times. :rolleyes:

Reagan’s 1981 tax bill, the one that set the tone for the tax rates we still have, had little immediate impact on the economy, and very little on inflation, which remained high through 1984.

It had a profound effect on the economy. It got investment flowing again, and allowed the Fed to unwind it's disastrous monetary policies of the late 70s.

Home interest rates didn’t drop below 10% until the mid to late 1990’s.

Home Interest rates were 18% at the height of Volker Mania. Also no, they dropped below 10% in the early 90s.

Last edited:
So you don't care that Hunter used his daddies name to rake in millions and that Burisma hired him for no reason but that it couldn't be that Burisma was under investigation and Burisma used Hunter as their conduit to the White House (Biden) who had the power to stop the investigation of Burisma?
Not only are you changing the subject...

Biden was not POTUS when the reason you suspect his son "was hired by Burisma" existed and the money Burisma paid was insignificant, especially
considering it had to be shared.

Trump was POTUS and we know at least one thing that he did, shield MBS from fallout for carving up a Washington Post journalist. Unlike Hunter, Kushner was a government official with official authority to deal with Saudi Arabia rivaling the authority of the Dept. of State.

Feb. 13, 2023, 10:49 AM EST
By Steve Benen
"Trump’s first foreign trip as president was to Riyadh. When Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman imprisoned other members of the royal family, Trump announced his support for the move. When the Saudis imposed a blockade on U.S. allies in Qatar, Trump endorsed this, too. When the U.S. had evidence of bin Salman approving the operation that killed Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Trump boasted that he came to the crown prince’s rescue and shielded him from consequences.

Kushner was responsible, at least in part, for helping shape the administration’s policy, making multiple trips to Saudi Arabia during his father-in-law’s term.

It was against this backdrop that The Washington Post reported on what happened after Trump and Kushner left the White House, as they faced “unprecedented business challenges.”

"The day after leaving the White House, Kushner created a company that he transformed months later into a private equity firm with $2 billion from a sovereign wealth fund chaired by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Kushner’s firm structured those funds in such a way that it did not have to disclose the source, according to previously unreported details of Securities and Exchange Commission forms reviewed by The Washington Post. His business used a commonly employed strategy that allows many equity firms to avoid transparency about funding sources, experts said."

This new reporting, which has not been independently verified by MSNBC or NBC News, dovetails nicely with a related New York Times report from last year, which found that those responsible for helping oversee the Saudi sovereign wealth fund were, to put it mildly, highly skeptical about giving Kushner’s new firm a $2 billion investment. Those concerns were understandable: The fund’s advisers rightly noted that Trump’s son-in-law had no relevant experience, and the firm’s operations were deemed “unsatisfactory in all aspects.”

Kushner got the money anyway.
...Indeed, for all of the GOP’s obsessive interest in Hunter Biden, he has never worked at any level in any presidential administration; he has never steered his father’s foreign policies toward any country; and his role in U.S. foreign policy was, is, and has been literally nonexistent."

It had a profound effect on the economy. It got investment flowing again, and allowed the Fed to unwind
Good grief, the top marginal rate change...caused increase in investment....and....caused interest rates to decline?

That is classic cart before the horse.

The crushing of inflation by raising interest rates, that also caused a recession, allowed Volker to lower interest rates (which also coincided with the collapse of oil prices). Once interest rates declined, it caused cheap money to be available for investment.

You have the entire cause-effect of interest/inflation rates absolutely bassackwards....and worse....you NOW argue the top marginal rate is the catalyst.
This is all wrong with trickle down on top.

LOL. Carter stood by and watched the Iranian revolution destroy Iran, and only after hemming and hawing, and with US personnel still in country, he chose to take in the Shah, which precipitated the Iranian terrorists taking the US hostages.

There are a lot of parallels between Carter's cluster **** in Iran and Biden's cluster **** in Afghanistan. In both cases the idiots banked on being able to build diplomatic ties with murderous Islamic radicals, and in both cases their naivete resulted in disaster.

It's a fact. Raegan's spending was largely military arms race that crushed the Soviet Union, and "spending" through tax cuts that sparked the explosion of private investment and fueled a private overhaul of the US economy through innovation. Carter and Volker rased the prime rate to 22%, broke the economy and then Carter blamed the American people.

Carter was a ****ing disaster.

You have provided no evidence. The article you provided as a source couldn't verify that Barnes, your source, was even on the trip with Connally, and Barnes wouldn't even claim that Raegan was behind the trip OR that the Iranians even got the message. The entirely of your surety in that conspiracy theory is your own delusion.
sorry JM, you're posting so many delusions (which contradict your earlier delusions) I'm just going to focus on your dishonesty. I posted proof that Casey's aid was checked into a hotel where a non anonymous source with the credentials to make his claim said he met Casey to discuss keeping Americans hostage. When confronted the "top deputy" to Casey lied about why he was there. by conservative standards (Benghazi, birth certificates, pedo sex ring in pizza parlor basement) this is the smokiest of smoking guns.

Last edited:
the funny thing is one of Reagan's go to quips was that he would never negotiate with terrorists. He never stopped negotiating with terrorists Probably the first documented example of "every conservative accusation is really a confession".
Reagan’s chief gun runner buddy headed the NRA not long after.

Biden created a fiasco at the southern border. Not by incompetence but he did it on purpose. Drug cartels are in charge of the US southern border.
His war on US energy is tragic. Put US oil on hold while running around the world bagging for oil is absurd. Also depleting the US strategic oil reserves was outrageous. Where did the money go?
Biden ignored soaring inflation for nine months and then blamed Putin for it. We are still seeing rising inflation and Biden thought it would be the perfect time to put out a $6.8 Trillion budget. That is starting out with a $2 Trillion deficit.
Biden is an absolute train wreck and here you are fluffing him up.
Every week we hear more about the Biden family getting cash from China. No wonder Joe is such a wet noodle against the CCP.
Here is a list of Biden's accomplishments:
Oil is going to have to go and should have gone decades ago. I know you dont understand an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but the droughts dont lie.

sorry JM, you're posting so many delusions (which contradict your earlier delusions) I'm just going to focus on your dishonesty. I posted proof that Casey's aid was checked into a hotel where a non anonymous source with the credentials to make his claim said he met Casey to discuss keeping Americans hostage. When confronted the "top deputy" to Casey lied about why he was there. by conservative standards (Benghazi, birth certificates, pedo sex ring in pizza parlor basement) this is the smokiest of smoking guns.

Nope, you provided a "witness" who made a claim about meetings that he can't verify he was present for, and he can't verify any message in that meeting ever made it to Iran.

What you can't verify: Raegan was involved in the Trip, any messages on that Trip were delivered to the Iranians, Barnes was even on the trip.

So, in summation, you got a hand full of bullshit and refuse to accept that you've been played.

The President does not direct the activities of the Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

BTW, Volker’s predecessor was Uncle Milty Friedman (as he was often called). And he was a right wing hero for years!
LOL. Do you suppose the President picks the name out of a hat? :rolleyes:

The President appoints the Chairman based on the expected monetary policy that the Fed Chairman will pursue.

Hahahah! What? Volker's predecessor was William Miller (another Carter appointee). Milton Friedman has been Fed Chair exactly Zero times. :rolleyes:

It had a profound effect on the economy. It got investment flowing again, and allowed the Fed to unwind it's disastrous monetary policies of the late 70s.

Home Interest rates were 18% at the height of Volker Mania. Also no, they dropped below 10% in the early 90s.

Good grief, the top marginal rate change...caused increase in investment....and....caused interest rates to decline?

That is classic cart before the horse.

The crushing of inflation by raising interest rates, that also caused a recession, allowed Volker to lower interest rates (which also coincided with the collapse of oil prices). Once interest rates declined, it caused cheap money to be available for investment.

You have the entire cause-effect of interest/inflation rates absolutely bassackwards....and worse....you NOW argue the top marginal rate is the catalyst.
This is all wrong with trickle down on top.

People don't invest money if they don't believe they will make money on it. The astronomical loan rates, and the stagflation it caused made investment too risky.

Lowering the tax rates by double digits lowers the resulting investment risk. And investment that might make a 10% profit is a bad risk when you'll pay 10% on the loan and then taxes on the investment when you realize the profit. When you cut the tax rate the risk is diminished and investment is increased.

But keep arging your theoretical policy effects that always always always fail in the real world and fool yourself into believing that your theoretical policy fixes were realized months and years after they were abandoned. :LOL:

Sorry but the fact that the PResident appoints the Fed Chair does NOT mean that the President can direct the Fed Chair regarding monetary policy.

I stand corrected about Milton Friedman. Perhaps it was all the right wing fawning over him that shaded my memory.

Reagas’1981 tax bill did have long reaching consequences.

By radically lowering top marginal tax rates, and by enacting deep discounts on capital gains taxes, that tax cut set the stage for the transfer of both income and assets from the middle class to the wealthy. A pattern that has been preserved by every President and congress since then.

It is the primary reason why middle income earning have stagnated for decades, after rising steadily since the 1930’s.

The GOP’s only economic policy ever since them has been more of the same.

Trickle down was a joke in economic circles in 1979, and it remains so today. But it isn’t a joke in political circles, where successive GOP Presidential candidates and presidents have used this trope as an excuse to hand yet another large tax cut to Wall Street.

In addition, the 1981 tax law allowed for significant acceleration of depreciation, and the sale of those paper losses to passive investors. This created a boom in commercial real estate. When that boom collapsed in the late 1980’s, it took a lot of S&L’s and regional banks with it. (not to mention developers and contractors!).

And yet, there was no signifant growth in productivity during Reagan’s first term, and only a slight easing of interest rates. Unemployment remained high. A fact the Reagan Administration tacitly acknowledged when it chose to change the way unemployment was counted ahead of the 1984 election.

The economy really didn’t turn around significantly before 1985, and then, because of the collapse in oil prices.

That same collapse also bankrupted Russia, and helped set the stage for Gorbachev.

People don't invest money if they don't believe they will make money on it. The astronomical loan rates, and the stagflation it caused made investment too risky.
That is an argument in my favor, of course you are not going to make gains when borrowing costs are high and econ activity is low. Arguing the change was caused by the reduction of top marginal rates is nonsense.
Lowering the tax rates by double digits lowers the resulting investment risk.
You are equating statutory rates to effective rates...AND...still arguing fact free that that change caused an increase in investment after the largest change in interest rate changes in my lifetime. Bring on your EVIDENCE.
And investment that might make .....
This is not evidence of what happened in 81-82. Further, the change in GDP during Reagan's term had one year, 84, that exceed what was happening 1960-69 or in 77-79.
But keep arging your theoretical policy effects that always always always fail in the real world and fool yourself into believing that your theoretical policy fixes were realized months and years after they were abandoned. :LOL:
I have no idea what "theoretical policy" you think I posted. I was describing cause-effect of changes in inflation/interest rates. You introed trickle (low tax/high GDP change) into the discussion, and that is a theory reject by most respected macro economists because the evidence does not exist.

None of this has any connection to the October surprise.

-snip- There are unknowns. Chief among them, what did Tehran really think.

Another was whether Reagan himself knew about it. Bill Casey was his campaign manager and apparantly spearheaded the effort. He was an old OSS/CIA covert ops sort of guy, and naturally paranoid. It was right up his alley!

Reagan was famously detached from policy execution, so there is a plausible argument that he didn’t know (or chose not to).

Finally, Brands pointed out that it is very likely that Tehran didn’t need to be told at all. After all, it would be in their interests to wait Carter out in the hope of a better deal.

I don’t know how old you are, but the North Vietnamese delegation to the Paris Peace Talks diddled the American for months in 1968 over the shape of the conference table until after the 1968 election.

So, there’s that.

RWE extremist posters are incurious to the degree they post about anything but the actual topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › John_Shaheen
"During World War II Shaheen was at the Office of Strategic Services, .. he was "chief of OSS Special Projects" and head of the Reports Declassification Section, [2] "

Consider the early date of the reporting of this relationship,

Critical thinker, a curse and a blessing. I've lived the curse portion, can someone share the blessing experience?

Tampico's population is less than 700.
-snip- https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1981/02/28/british-lace-and-grace/9a190983-619a-4f54-8075-9b02dec12b13/
February 28, 1981
"Other congressional leaders included ..John Shaheen of New York, chairman of Shaheen Natural Resources Co., was probably the only guest who had known Reagan as a boy in Tampico, Ill. ..."
-snip-

From Roy Furmark's son's website.
"..I
In the 1970s, my father was working for John M Shaheen, .. who in the early days worked within the OSS, and it was through this time period, where Shaheen knew William Casey, who would, later on, become the CIA Director of the United States Government, during the Ronald Reagan Administration. Thus, how my father then also became close friends as well with William Casey later on in his career down the road..."

The Reagan Admin. claimed arms shipments to Iran via Israel to raise revenue to support the contras did not being until 1985, yet this curious
flight crashed on July 18, 1981, just six months after the clock began on the debt the Reagan Admin. owed to the Iranian regime for the delay of the hostage release!

March 27, 1982
"LONDON -- On July 18, 1981, an Argentine transport plane flying out of Tehran crashed inside Soviet Armenia, way off course. The three occupants' deaths blew the cover on their role in a secret Israeli arms airlift to Iran.

The aircraft, hired from Transport Arco of Argentina by a London arms dealer, flew to Tehran twice last summer, carrying ammunition, Israeli-made 106 recoilless rifles and possibly tires for Iran's U.S.-made Phantoms..."

The article above turns this into bullshit.:
(How would the Reagan Admin. have explained that it began paying its debt to the Ayatollah almost immediately after the delayed release of the 52 hostages?)

"..After Iraq invaded Iran in September 1980, Iran desperately needed weapons and spare parts for its current weapons. After Ronald Reagan took office as president on 20 January 1981, he vowed to continue Carter's policy of blocking arms sales to Iran on the grounds that Iran supported terrorism.

A group of senior Reagan administration officials in the Senior Interdepartmental Group conducted a secret study on 21 July 1981, and concluded that the arms embargo was ineffective because Iran could always buy arms and spare parts for its American weapons elsewhere, .. At the same time, the openly declared goal of Ayatollah Khomeini to .. overthrow the governments of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, ..

In the spring of 1983, the United States launched Operation Staunch, a wide-ranging diplomatic effort to persuade other nations all over the world not to sell arms or spare parts for weapons to Iran..."

Last edited:
Oil is going to have to go and should have gone decades ago. I know you dont understand an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but the droughts dont lie.
WRONG.
You know nothing about what I understand about anything.
Since you think you're so smart tell me why President Biden finds it so necessary to crush US oil production but spends his time running around the world begging OPEC, Venezuela and others to raise production.

WRONG.
Since you think you're so smart tell me why President Biden finds it so necessary to crush US oil production but spends his time running around the world begging OPEC, Venezuela and others to raise production.
Prices and because we refused to do anything about climate change which even China is suffering from. Yes im quite smart than you :).

WRONG.
It's like Kalifornia thinking they are really tackling global warming, I mean climate change, I mean possibly some temperature rising by banning gas stoves. All the while other nations are laughing, prosperous and happy using oil and coal.

It's like Kalifornia thinking they are really tackling global warming, I mean climate change, I mean possibly some temperature rising by banning gas stoves. All the while other nations are laughing, prosperous and happy using oil and coal.
It's really amazing.
When I heard cow farts were a huge issue I thought it was an attempt at comedy.
Speaking of a joke in post #290 the person thinks Biden was price shopping when he begged OPEC to produce more and then ran over to Venezuela,

It's really amazing.
When I heard cow farts were a huge issue I thought it was an attempt at comedy.
Speaking of a joke in post #290 the person thinks Biden was price shopping when he begged OPEC to produce more and then ran over to Venezuela,
Lol

-snip- There are unknowns. Chief among them, what did Tehran really think.

Another was whether Reagan himself knew about it. Bill Casey was his campaign manager and apparantly spearheaded the effort. He was an old OSS/CIA covert ops sort of guy, and naturally paranoid. It was right up his alley!

Reagan was famously detached from policy execution, so there is a plausible argument that he didn’t know (or chose not to).

Finally, Brands pointed out that it is very likely that Tehran didn’t need to be told at all. After all, it would be in their interests to wait Carter out in the hope of a better deal.

I don’t know how old you are, but the North Vietnamese delegation to the Paris Peace Talks diddled the American for months in 1968 over the shape of the conference table until after the 1968 election.

So, there’s that.

"We know that the Republican Party of the United States in order to win the presidential election is working hard to delay the solution of the hostages crisis until after the U.S. election."
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Joint_Report_of_the_Task_Force_to_Invest/WRVj7Rvhvu8C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq="We+know+that+the+Republican+Party+of+the+United+States+in+order+to+win+the+presidential+election+is+working+hard+to+delay+the+solution+of+the+hostages+crisis+until+after+the+U.S.+election."&pg=PA743&printsec=frontcover
Joint Report of the Task Force to Investigate Certain Allegations Concerning the Holding of American Hostages by Iran in 1980 ("October Surprise Task Force")
content

August 18, 1980
1679573097800.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope, you provided a "witness" who made a claim about meetings that he can't verify he was present for, and he can't verify any message in that meeting ever made it to Iran.

No silly, I provided a link to an article from 1991 where an Iranian arms dealer said he met with Casey in Madrid to discuss the hostages. When the journalists went to confirm if he was actually in the hotel they saw Casey's "top deputy" was checked into that hotel. When the journalists asked why he was there he lied. Here let me post it again for you

-- The record search also turned up the name Robert Gray as being registered at the hotel. A man named Robert Gray, a public-relations executive, became a top campaign deputy to Casey in the fall of 1980. Asked about the record, Gray first said he was in Madrid for his old firm. When it was pointed out the firm wasn't in existence then, he said he was wrong on the years and showed a passport indicating no foreign travel that summer.

-- ABC said interviews with Casey's former secretary, family members and former Republican campaign officials showed that his whereabouts were unaccounted for July 27-29 and Aug. 8-13, 1980. A July 30, 1980, New York Times story on an unrelated issue quoted a Reagan spokesman as saying Casey was returning from a foreign trip

again, this is the smokiest of smoking guns.

No silly, I provided a link to an article from 1991 where an Iranian arms dealer said he met with Casey in Madrid to discuss the hostages. When the journalists went to confirm if he was actually in the hotel they saw Casey's "top deputy" was checked into that hotel. When the journalists asked why he was there he lied. Here let me post it again for you

-- The record search also turned up the name Robert Gray as being registered at the hotel. A man named Robert Gray, a public-relations executive, became a top campaign deputy to Casey in the fall of 1980. Asked about the record, Gray first said he was in Madrid for his old firm. When it was pointed out the firm wasn't in existence then, he said he was wrong on the years and showed a passport indicating no foreign travel that summer.

-- ABC said interviews with Casey's former secretary, family members and former Republican campaign officials showed that his whereabouts were unaccounted for July 27-29 and Aug. 8-13, 1980. A July 30, 1980, New York Times story on an unrelated issue quoted a Reagan spokesman as saying Casey was returning from a foreign trip

again, this is the smokiest of smoking guns.

677px-October_surprise_memo.jpg

Jm, where'd you go? You were quite the chatty cathy before my last post. For a person who believed the vile and disgusting "stand down" lies I figured you'd really be upset about something this horrific that actually has evidence. Oh and if you could read @post 's above you'd see even more damning evidence showing reagan's treasonous deal with Iran.

You guys know there is actual evidence of reagan's treasonous deal right?
There is no bottom to the depth of ignorance they will put on display here.

Back
Top Bottom