• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Fitting End For Disgraceful House Republicans

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

617694bd7908e1359d86a215666131eb.jpg

A stained legacy all around.

12/22/18
This year concludes the same way it began: with a partial shutdown of the federal government. “If we don’t get what we want,” said Trump, “I will shut down the government. And I’ll tell you what, I am proud to shut down the government for border security, I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it … I will take the mantle of shutting down.” Not a whole lot of wiggle room there: this is clearly a Trump Shutdown. But the president was bolstered by support from his allies in the House Republican Conference and their retiring leader, House Speaker Paul Ryan. It’s a fitting end for a group that has been a budgetary disaster since the moment it first took control in 2011. Less than eight months into their tenure, House Republicans brought the United States to the brink of defaulting on our national debt for the first time in history, resulting in the government’s credit rating being downgraded from AAA to AA+. Two years later, they shut down the government for 16 days after President Obama refused to let them take the American people’s health care hostage. But it wasn’t until Republicans gained unified control of the U.S. House, Senate, and presidency in 2017 that the wheels really came off the wagon. The shutdown that began at midnight is the third shutdown this year. At no point in the last four decades has the federal government shut down thrice in one year, nor has it shut down even once during that period when one party had unified control of the federal government. That both happened in 2018 is a testament to the ineptitude of the Trump administration and its allies in the 115th Congress.

This is a particularly sorry end for Speaker Ryan himself. Perhaps nobody should be surprised. Time after time, Speaker Ryan has refused to do anything meaningful that would rein in Trump’s worst impulses. But it’s Ryan’s epic fiscal mismanagement that is particularly astonishing, given that he’s tried to brand himself as one of the most fiscally responsible members of Congress since before he became chairman of the House Budget Committee in 2011. As soon as Ryan became Speaker and had real power to rein in deficits, he instead made them substantially worse. The result: next year’s budget deficit will now be roughly $1 trillion – nearly 70% larger than the $596 billion deficit projected by CBO when Ryan ascended to the Speakership in 2015. Thankfully, the American people decided they finally had enough of the GOP’s dismal leadership and ousted them from power in last month’s election. When the 116th Congress convenes, many of its members will be replaced by several dozen freshmen in the Democratic Caucus who campaigned on being far more responsible stewards of the federal budget – surely the new majority will vote to reopen the government immediately if the outgoing Congress does not. But one thing is crystal clear: it just wouldn’t have been a proper end for the House GOP without throwing one last tantrum before the adults get put back in charge.

The new Democrat majority House that will be seated on 3 January 2019 will be a gigantic breath of fresh air. The incoming 116th US House of Representatives will finally act as a check on the Executive Branch as it was envisioned in the Constitution, and this new House will no longer consist of a majority of spineless Donald Trump enablers. The days of this president and his GOP Congress trying to remove healthcare insurance from 24 million Americans overnight are over. It will be impossible for Trump and the GOP to "reform" (a euphemism for destroy) such safety-net institutions as Social Security and Medicare. Good riddance to Paul Ryan and many of his 'party-first' cohorts. My biggest regret here is that GOP Rep. Devin Nunes, a major Trump sycophant, will regrettably not be following his collaborators out the exit door.

It will also allow the deficit to grow as CRs likely become the only viable 'budget' vehicles. MAGA indeed.

The new Democrat majority House that will be seated on 3 January 2019 will be a gigantic breath of fresh air. The incoming 116th US House of Representatives will finally act as a check on the Executive Branch as it was envisioned in the Constitution, and this new House will no longer consist of a majority of spineless Donald Trump enablers. The days of this president and his GOP Congress trying to remove healthcare insurance from 24 million Americans overnight are over. It will be impossible for Trump and the GOP to "reform" (a euphemism for destroy) such safety-net institutions as Social Security and Medicare. Good riddance to Paul Ryan and many of his 'party-first' cohorts. My biggest regret here is that GOP Rep. Devin Nunes, a major Trump sycophant, will regrettably not be following his collaborators out the exit door.

But, the arrogance of moron Trump supporters and Republican voters will persist and their moronic comments will still be seen everyday. Idiots put two incompetent presidents into office in a row, and they still think they are not complete stupid ****ing idiots.

Now that is being a stupid ****ing idiot.

I don't believe that firing the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' is going to be acting 'as a check on the Executive Branch as it was envisioned in the Constitution', nor being good governance in any shape, form or manner whatsoever.

I think its going to end up being little more than complete gridlock between the House and Senate, with little of substance or worth being accomplished.

I don't believe that firing the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' is going to be acting 'as a check on the Executive Branch as it was envisioned in the Constitution', nor being good governance in any shape, form or manner whatsoever.

I think its going to end up being little more than complete gridlock between the House and Senate, with little of substance or worth being accomplished.

So you don't think the House should actually do it's job?

Huh. Why am I not surprised?

Thankfully for us, shutdowns are temporary. Unfortunately, legislation leaves a lasting legacy:

The result: next year’s budget deficit will now be roughly $1 trillion – nearly 70% larger than the $596 billion deficit projected by CBO when Ryan ascended to the Speakership in 2015. Moreover, Speaker Ryan’s failure to tackle the nation’s long-term fiscal challenges means that the federal government will never again run an annual budget deficit of less than $1 trillion if current policies remain in place.

As compared to long list of accomplishments the completely Repub Congress achieved. Most notably, and exclusively, they managed the monumental task of convincing their fellow repubs to support a tax cut for the rich

It will also allow the deficit to grow as CRs likely become the only viable 'budget' vehicles. MAGA indeed.

Obama lived on CR's. He didn't have a budget for like 4 years. He made sure Harry Reed scuttled each one.

Nunes needs to be indicted.:roll:

If the Mueller report is damaging enough, I can definitely see at least that much justice happening.

Obama lived on CR's. He didn't have a budget for like 4 years. He made sure Harry Reed scuttled each one.

Yep, when the party for a bigger federal government and the party for a huge federal government 'compromise' the result is predictable.

The GOP House was disgraceful but not for the reasons the liberals claim. They obstructed what the voters wanted who elected Trump, notably to build the border wall and solve the illegal immigration problem once and for all. Now, the champions of illegal immigration and open borders take over. They'll ignore the issue totally while wasting all their time on going after Trump. They'll make the last House look like highly competent legislators. In the end, Trump will still be there while they ring their hands and whine on TV.

Yep, when the party for a bigger federal government and the party for a huge federal government 'compromise' the result is predictable.

I agree. We only have different degrees but both want the same thing, which is the status quo and for the boat not to be rocked. It's why the Dems openly hate Trump and many of the Repubs secretly do.

i hope that Ryan isn't able to twist his tenure into a presidential run. i worry about the ascension of Trumpists like Ryan and Pence. they actually have functioning brains and can get things done like giving your retirement to the donor class.

i hope that Ryan isn't able to twist his tenure into a presidential run.

His entire tenure in public life has been a failure. So the GOP nod isn't out of the question.

That's exactly what was envisioned. The House is the People's check on the President. There's a reason why the legislative branch is Article One. This applies up to and including the powers of impeachment and removal.

The House can work with the President, obstruct the President, investigate the President, and impeach the President; all at the will of the People. And with the Blue wave swept-in this recent election, the People have spoken loudly. Stopping Trump was amongst the highest priorities of the Dem voters. They've spoken, and the House should dutifully be representing their interests (hopefully).

And BTW, I'm not trying to be archaic or trying to use fluffy language here. The above is what I indeed see in the Constitution.

I agree. We only have different degrees but both want the same thing, which is the status quo and for the boat not to be rocked. It's why the Dems openly hate Trump and many of the Repubs secretly do.

Folks should come to the realization that things are as they are because the suppliers of campaign cash want that to be so. We can rest assured that every $1 of our ever growing federal spending benefits someone directly or indirectly.

i hope that Ryan isn't able to twist his tenure into a presidential run. i worry about the ascension of Trumpists like Ryan and Pence. they actually have functioning brains and can get things done like giving your retirement to the donor class.

Ryan is a Trumpist? Amusing.

Maybe but it could also decline. One of the reasons the deficit declined under obama was that they just didn't do anything after obama lost his majority. Maybe its not such a bad thing. Less govt.

His entire tenure in public life has been a failure. So the GOP nod isn't out of the question.

i have been worried about him for years. he is actually intelligent, and might be able to destroy social security and medicare, which has been the formerly Republican party's desire for decades. it's a similar situation with Pence. while Trump is under the shadow of alleged criminal activity, you'll find no such vulnerabilities in Pence's armor. even if Trump goes down, Pence will not go down with him.

As compared to long list of accomplishments the completely Repub Congress achieved. Most notably, and exclusively, they managed the monumental task of convincing their fellow repubs to support a tax cut for the rich
Though they did get criminal justice reform going, much to my surprise.

I found that pretty wild, to be honest. And only a small pittance in relation to their aiding and abetting Trump.

Ryan is a Trumpist? Amusing.

absolutely. look at the actions of the house under his supervision. there is no Republican party now. it has been sucked into the cult of Trump.

Great to see all those stupid white men sent packing....Lots never even bothered to show up after Nov 6 to finish their term...Good Riddance!

That’s the biggest crime of Congress over the last 10 years, failing to perform their constitutional budgetary duties.

Folks should come to the realization that things are as they are because the suppliers of campaign cash want that to be so. We can rest assured that every $1 of our ever growing federal spending benefits someone directly or indirectly.

It's why we will never see a non-establishment type nominated or elected POTUS again. They thought Trump was good for a few yucks but could never win. They'll know better going forward and make sure we get the type of inaction, inertia, palm greasing and backslapping that government has always delivered.

Back
Top Bottom