• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Fitting End For Disgraceful House Republicans

His entire tenure in public life has been a failure. So the GOP nod isn't out of the question.
You know, that's a helluva' interesting thought. Ryan failed himself right up to the legislative head of the party. I think that speaks volumes about the party, and I'm not saying this facetiously.

i have been worried about him for years. he is actually intelligent, and might be able to destroy social security and medicare, which has been the formerly Republican party's desire for decades. it's a similar situation with Pence. while Trump is under the shadow of alleged criminal activity, you'll find no such vulnerabilities in Pence's armor. even if Trump goes down, Pence will not go down with him.

What makes you think Ryan is intelligent?

i have been worried about him for years. he is actually intelligent, and might be able to destroy social security and medicare, which has been the formerly Republican party's desire for decades. it's a similar situation with Pence. while Trump is under the shadow of alleged criminal activity, you'll find no such vulnerabilities in Pence's armor. even if Trump goes down, Pence will not go down with him.

Pence is neck-deep in the matters involving Mueller's investigation. He'll never see a day as POTUS.

Folks should come to the realization that things are as they are because the suppliers of campaign cash want that to be so. We can rest assured that every $1 of our ever growing federal spending benefits someone directly or indirectly.
I couldn't agree more. The only real piece of Republican legislation, besides the recent criminal justice reform, came to be only because the donors insisted and were ready to pull the plug. What a **** reflection on them all.

Maybe but it could also decline. One of the reasons the deficit declined under obama was that they just didn't do anything after obama lost his majority. Maybe its not such a bad thing. Less govt.

We will see soon enough. The deficit, during Obama's two terms, dipped from its initial super high levels to only moderately high levels and then started to increase. Trump, so far, has only had deficit increases.

Ironically after he benefited from it to kick-start his life and receive an education. The damn hypocrite!

It's why we will never see a non-establishment type nominated or elected POTUS again. They thought Trump was good for a few yucks but could never win. They'll know better going forward and make sure we get the type of inaction, inertia, palm greasing and backslapping that government has always delivered.

Yep, best to allow we the sheeple to choose only among properly vetted candidates more heavily dependent on party approved campaign funding.

Pence is neck-deep in the matters involving Mueller's investigation. He'll never see a day as POTUS.

he will not be sucked into any Trump scandal. i would bet money on it.

A Fitting End For Disgraceful House Republicans

617694bd7908e1359d86a215666131eb.jpg

A stained legacy all around.

The new Democrat majority House that will be seated on 3 January 2019 will be a gigantic breath of fresh air. The incoming 116th US House of Representatives will finally act as a check on the Executive Branch as it was envisioned in the Constitution, and this new House will no longer consist of a majority of spineless Donald Trump enablers. The days of this president and his GOP Congress trying to remove healthcare insurance from 24 million Americans overnight are over. It will be impossible for Trump and the GOP to "reform" (a euphemism for destroy) such safety-net institutions as Social Security and Medicare. Good riddance to Paul Ryan and many of his 'party-first' cohorts. My biggest regret here is that GOP Rep. Devin Nunes, a major Trump sycophant, will regrettably not be following his collaborators out the exit door.

There will be no deficit control without reforming social security and Medicare. The math is clear these are unsustainable. The reason the deficit is growing is because Trump didn’t want to tackle these programs. They are immoral and need to be destroyed

he will not be sucked into any Trump scandal. i would bet money on it.

Too late. He lied, for no apparent reason, about whether he was aware that Flynn was compromised. He was head of the transition team at the time.

He's hiding something.

Ironically after he benefited from it to kick-start his life and receive an education. The damn hypocrite!

that's different because it was him. the Republicans who actually have a voice (which means a lot of money) in the party have a de facto motto, and it's "i've got mine. **** you."

There will be no deficit control without reforming social security and Medicare. The math is clear these are unsustainable. The reason the deficit is growing is because Trump didn’t want to tackle these programs. They are immoral and need to be destroyed
Now that's a helluva' ironic line. Obviously, I disagree. At least in principle.

Too late. He lied, for no apparent reason, about whether he was aware that Flynn was compromised. He was head of the transition team at the time.

He's hiding something.

believe me when i tell you that any investigation will not get close to him. choosing him as VP was a massive mistake on Trump's part. he is more clever than Senator Palpatine.

Now that's a helluva' ironic line. Obviously, I disagree.

What’s the morality in costing working Americans over a million dollars in retirement savings over their working careers? For a program that can’t possibly be sustained. Literally the only way to save the SS program as structured would be to invent a time machine, dissappear the inventors of birth control, and run Soviet style (well actually maybe the leftists are on board with that considering they all loved the Soviet Union) propaganda campaigns demanding women have 6 kids a piece.

In the modern era of population stagnation any form of income transfer scheme at the state level is doomed to failure. The trust fund can be insolvent as soon as 2020.

Yes this is entirely immoral because it can only work at the barrel of a gun. Straight up.

And the left is talking not only of not reforming the program, but EXPANDING IT and thinking there will be no pushback for expanding taxes to pay for it. Like Trump should make them vote on Norway level taxes, the democrats keep promising all the new spending they want will be paid for by taxes on the rich and “Wall Street speculation” (whatever that is) and that for everyone else it will be free. That is insanity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's a helluva' ironic line. Obviously, I disagree. At least in principle.

Pay for Social Security?.....Hell no it's immoral....The same crowd is ready to spend Billions on a stupid wall...Go figure

So you don't think the House should actually do it's job?

Huh. Why am I not surprised?

So you believe that firing the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' is good governance and is what is 'envisioned in the Constitution'.

Why am I not surprised in the least.

That's exactly what was envisioned. The House is the People's check on the President. There's a reason why the legislative branch is Article One. This applies up to and including the powers of impeachment and removal.

The House can work with the President, obstruct the President, investigate the President, and impeach the President; all at the will of the People. And with the Blue wave swept-in this recent election, the People have spoken loudly. Stopping Trump was amongst the highest priorities of the Dem voters. They've spoken, and the House should dutifully be representing their interests (hopefully).

And BTW, I'm not trying to be archaic or trying to use fluffy language here. The above is what I indeed see in the Constitution.

From my view, it's not either good governance, nor is it envisioned in the Constitution, nor is it good leadership, nor is it in the best interests of the nation.

It's little more than the political elite and Democrats conducting their political power offensive, so they can keep their best interests at the forefront of government, rather than the best interests of the nation at the forefront of government.

So the political use of government power by firing the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' is what was intended by the constitution?
That surely doesn't seem right in the least.

Yes, Congress has a legitimate role to checks and balances on the executive branch, but this legitimacy doesn't extend to using the House subpoena for solely political purposes, such as the firing of the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' most certainly is.

Imagine a future where there is a Republican House and a Democrat president, and the House fires a similar 'subpoena cannon', now that the precedent has been set. So every time the White House and the House are in different hands, this is what is to be expected now?
This is not a promising future.

Will of the people? The will of the people and the mob mentality it at present represents doesn't align with this Republic, and the rule of law. Try again.

in-a-democracy-the-majority-rules-if-the-majority-decided-34261918.png

The rule of law supersedes the 'majority', and it should.

“It’s a republic, not a democracy.”

that's different because it was him. the Republicans who actually have a voice (which means a lot of money) in the party have a de facto motto, and it's "i've got mine. **** you."
That's essentially the GOP-Trump ideology in a nutshell. And Trump exemplifies it well. He's their perfect ideological leader. Which is why it's getting harder and harder to accept Trump supporters in idealogical & moralistic terms.

It's getting to not even about policy, but about basic democratic principles. Even worse, about the very principles of what it means to be human and part of humanity. Their taking the kids made a profound lasting impression on me. Extremely profound. I'm still reeling from it, and feel dirty as hell because of it.

One check-step at a time.....

- No $5 billion for Trumps 14th century wall technology.

- The Democrat majority 116th House is sworn in on 3 January 2019.

- To be determined.

He's hiding something.
I’m guessing there’s only so many people you can indict on spurious charges in a political witch hunt before there’s either a coup d’etat or civil war against the left.

I mean if leftist elements of the government try to act like Porfirio Diaz this country will descend just like Mexico did.

believe me when i tell you that any investigation will not get close to him. choosing him as VP was a massive mistake on Trump's part. he is more clever than Senator Palpatine.

We'll have to agree to disagree. He's got a very long history of both corruption and dimwittedness.

So you believe that firing the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' is good governance and is what is 'envisioned in the Constitution'.

Indeed.

It is equally evident, that the members of each department should be as little dependent as possible on those of the others, for the emoluments annexed to their offices. Were the executive magistrate, or the judges, not independent of the legislature in this particular, their independence in every other would be merely nominal. But the great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the same department, consists in giving to those who administer each department the necessary constitutional means and personal motives to resist encroachments of the others. The provision for defense must in this, as in all other cases, be made commensurate to the danger of attack. Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. The interest of the man must be connected with the constitutional rights of the place. It may be a reflection on human nature, that such devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government. But what is government itself, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself.

From my view, it's not either good governance, nor is it envisioned in the Constitution, nor is it good leadership, nor is it in the best interests of the nation.

It's little more than the political elite and Democrats conducting their political power offensive, so they can keep their best interests at the forefront of government, rather than the best interests of the nation at the forefront of government.

So the political use of government power by firing the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' is what was intended by the constitution?

Yes, Congress has a legitimate role to checks and balances on the executive branch, but this legitimacy doesn't extend to using the House subpoena for solely political purposes, such as the firing of the wholly politically motivated 'subpoena cannon' most certainly is.

Imagine a future where there is a Republican House and a Democrat president, and the House fires a similar 'subpoena cannon', now that the precedent has been set. So every time the White House and the House are in different hands, this is what is to be expected now?

Will of the people? The will of the people and the mob mentality it at present represents doesn't align with this Republic, and the rule of law. Try again.

I'm on my way out the door, and will get back to this tonight when I can give it the reply it deserves. There's some I agree with, and some I don't. But I don't want dismiss it. I do very much agree with the bicycle part. Thanks for the reply.

Huh. You're compelled to pretend that any such actions are 'wholly politically motivated'.

Why am I not surprised?

Yawn. You keep pretending what you need to in order avoid confronting that massive corruption in the Trump administration.

Good luck with your magical thinking. This is going to be a wonderfully painful year for you and I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom